Making a raised bed...lumber question

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Either you are a little bitty feller that uses a leprechaun's chair to sit in or those planters are really big.

Nice work. Didn't even ripple the metal panels.  

Thank you.  That chair is a tiny ikea one from my kids’ art table...didn’t know how messy staining would be, and no way was I going to be bent over half a day brushing on the stain/sealer, so I grabbed something that could get jacked up without hearing about it from my wife.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Can I use cardboard in the beds?  I’ve got at least a yards worth after getting a Lovesac Sectional.  

Yes. Personally I wouldn't use cardboard with an overabundance of ink on it but it's supposed to be ok. And if you have untreated lumber, toss it in. Definitely don't use treated lumber.

The key is that you want to understand how much soil and compost your plants will need. Usually 1.5 feet is more than enough, and some plants need less than a foot. As long as the cardboard, sticks, leaves, etc are below the root level, you're good.  If the material leaves large air pockets, you might eventually see settling of the soil as the material decomposes.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'm not sure that I want to know what a lovesac sectional is

Expansive furniture that you assemble yourself and comes in the mail...but it can be configured any different way, the covers are quality and machine washable so my wife loves it.