Dave & Buster’s

BlueGreySky

Hope Ninelives makes it over here. 

Hitting DB this Wednesday and Main Event on Mondays. ME has actually been better on return for me recently. Putting in about $50 on cards (Monday’s you can get a $20 card for $10.95, as many as you want) and after 10pm games are half off. That has usually been netting me an iPad mini, selling those for $315 on eBay. 

DB has a new arcade version of Rampage that has a jackpot of 1k. Going to give it a go this week. Overall, though, DB hasn’t been stocking anything with resale value. 

It’s like dave and busters but bigger. They had one in Plano last time i checked. Off of 75. Not sure about other tx cities. 

The one here has a full restaurant and bar, pool and shuffleboard hall, rock climbing, laser tag, and bowling. 

Welcome to the new digs!

Hit up Main Event tonight. Put $40 on cards which gave me $80 credit. After 10, half price games. 

Ended up with 42,500 tickets which equates to $323 worth of tickets, almost enough for an iPad (45,000). To find value of tickets here multiply total tickets by .0076

22 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Hit up Main Event tonight. Put $40 on cards which gave me $80 credit. After 10, half price games. 

Ended up with 42,500 tickets which equates to $323 worth of tickets, almost enough for an iPad (45,000). To find value of tickets here multiply total tickets by .0076

Can you explain this for those of us that have never been to one, but may be considering doing this after reading?

23 hours ago, George said:

Remind me again what y’all play to score all the tickets.

I have a variety of games that I rotate:

Both DB & ME

• Space Invaders
  • Quick Drop
  • Milk Jug Toss
  • 2 Minute Drill
  • Down the Clown

D&B Only

• Zombie Snatcher
  • Slam-a-winner Extreme
  • Crossy Road
  • Coin-pushers (but only when there's a big ledge of coins ready to fall)

Main Event Only

• Tower of Tickets

21 hours ago, Pods said:

Can you explain this for those of us that have never been to one, but may be considering doing this after reading?

I'll shoot you (and anyone else) a DM if you want to know the how/strategy of any of those games.  Just let me know.

The logistics of how I load up cards:

D&B
You have to go on non-Wednesdays to use "buy $20 get $20" game play coupons.  You can get these three ways - via email by registering your card on their website, in the mail (like val-pak coupons), or if you download the app to your phone, they usually upload a coupon every week and you can purchase it right there on your phone.  Typically, the store policy is one coupon per card per day.  So, I have 5 cards all attached to various emails, and on a week where I decide I'm going I'll go on a Monday or Tuesday and load 5 coupons onto my 5 cards.  Then Wednesdays, all games are half off. 

Main Event
You can only get the deal on Mondays, but there is no need to hunt for coupons, and there is no limit to how many times you can use this deal, which is a $20 game card for $10.95.  Sun through Thurs after 10pm all games are half off. 

Calculating Value

At D&B multiply total tickets by .004 to find your value.  So 1,000 tickets is valued at about $4.
At ME multiply tickets by .0076 to find value.  So 1,000 tickets is valued at about $7.60.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

I have a variety of games that I rotate:

Both DB & ME

• Space Invaders
  • Quick Drop
  • Milk Jug Toss
  • 2 Minute Drill
  • Down the Clown

D&B Only

• Zombie Snatcher
  • Slam-a-winner Extreme
  • Crossy Road
  • Coin-pushers (but only when there's a big ledge of coins ready to fall)

Main Event Only

• Tower of Tickets

Interesting might do this for fun.  Any other tips? 

edit: just posted right before me.  DM with info please

Edited by AngryBevo

Will do, AB.  Oh, and the reason I say I'll DM to anyone who would like to know is that there is a small but tight-knit D&B community of guys that do this for a profit and sharing secrets recently has led to two things- first, D&B corporate started noting the ways that games were beat and adapting them to either not be winnable or paying out less tickets. The second thing is those guys have their own forum that is private, and it's generally frowned upon to share secrets on public forums. 

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Ok two more things...

At DB you don't have money on your card like ME does.  You have "chips" and of course there's all sorts of convoluded math as to how much they charge for chips.  bottom line, don't buy chips unless it's with a 20-for-20 coupon.  and don't do the "supercharge" option they offer you.  So, when you get a 20-for-20 coupon/card you have 200 chips to play games.  simple math, you just drop a decimal point to determine how much a game costs you to play.

Second - fuck school breaks like spring break (this week here).  went to DB tonight and it was a pigsty.  kids everywhere - and not just grade school kids.  saw probably a dozen toddlers wandering all alone.  a few of the games i play were fucked with (cheaters) and shut down for the night.  other games were run-up to stupid scores except a few.  the one positive is that coinpushers were all ready to be sniped.  spent 220 in chips ($22) and came away with 11,000 tickets ($44).  A bad night as far as my normal numbers are concerned, but any night I walk away in the black and have some fun with friends is a good day.  The biggest thing with DB right now is there are no prizes with flipping.  Sitting on quarter-mil tickets right now.

Edited by BlueGreySky
because.
  • Like 1

Went last night. Packed like a sumbitch. I agree with everything BGS said...

Just for shits and giggles last night I decided I would see how many chips I could get. Granted you have to play the system and you have to be a prick by taking others "bonus" wins , but it is possible to rack up some tickets. I go on half price game night and use 20 for 20. So last night I walked in with 1,000 chips for 100 bucks.  I got around 75,000 tickets. I could have just went balls out and fucked over everyone that isn't observant, but I chilled because I got too fucked up. Thank god I had a hotel room. Had a blast and paying for it at work today. ANYWAY  Currently I have 379,215 tickets on one card and almost 200,000 tickets on another one. I would post a pic of my power card balance but dont know how to post pics here.  Im not really into being a ticket whore and dont want to ruin my fun by scamming them too much. . I go to have drinks and get away while being a kid. 

Someone let me know how to insert a photo and ill include my latest total 

Ipads are usually at the top with playstations and xbox. They do have some cameras and shit i usually ignore.

This was discussed over on the original Shaggy thread. For some its a fun time to drink and blow off steam. I use it as a "get away". I honestly would say I have had a blast 80% of the time I went

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I clicked on this thread because I'm going to a D&B's with my family tonight on a school sponsored fun night or whatever to see what is cool or fun and I'm floored. What the actual fuck is going on here. What is the point here? To spend an inordinate amount of time trying to find a way to beat the system so you can buy iPads and resale them on Craigslist for a couple hundred bucks of profit every other week?

I have fun with my friends when I go and make money doing it.  Fun and profit seem like reason enough.  And it's not an inordinate amount of time - 2 hours per week on a Wednesday night and I don't even go every week. 

Edited by BlueGreySky
  • Like 2

pos reps @BlueGreySky 

just checked my phone and realized i had the d&b charge app with a buy $20 get $20 offer.  of course we just took 8 kids this past weekend before realizing i could’ve saved some cash.  fml

gonna just take myself this weekend.

Nice you guys are like fucking pros. Props for playing different games instead of just scheming one game for max tickets. 

When I go I like playing air hockey and time crisis type games, end up with exactly zero tickets lol. Seems like ypu really have to dominate to turn 40 bucks into a 300 dollar ipad.

23 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

How many times did you hit it? Little BGS loves to play that game and he's never hit the jackpot.

9 times in total, 7 jackpots and 2 others that were quite a bit easier than usual but the boy didn't finish the job.

my kids would shit themselves if they had anything approaching those levels of tickets. jfc. we going later today so i’ma try out some of these strategies with the oldest dirt. 

last time we went, baby dirt got herself a squatty potty plush unicorn. thing is fuckin awesome. no idea why y’all are saying they have shite prizes haha. 

for the non-ticket games, anybody happen to know if main event austin has a derby owners club game?  d&b used to, but it’s long gone now. 

Dirté - how’d y’all do? And for others who have asked me to send them the PM with more info, share how y’all did as well.

I’ve got a few hundred k saved up but don’t know if I want to hold out on profitable items coming in or just spend some and get my son’s birthday gifts. He wants a skateboard and Nintendo switch.

FWIW I am not in this 100% to sell. We do it for fun and about a third of the time keep prizes - beats products, video games, autographed mini helmets. This all started when my son wanted to get the smartphone could controlled BB8 robot. Had to convince him? Rather painstakingly, that it was best to save tickets to meet his goal rather than spend half of them every time. Then it became a goal to be as efficient as possible in obtaining it - ideally for less than retail. That happened about the same time 9lives posted here for the first time and eventually he (I think) tipped me off to the D&B chat group.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Dirté - how’d y’all do? 

don’t try to church it up son.  have some rep, sir. 

for some strange reason, baby dirt actually chose me instead of lady dirt to cling to.  so as i was busy with her,  my oldest got impatient and ran off with the others. i think they each blew through $40 worth of chips in 30 minutes and got about $4 worth of candy out of it. 

planning on hitting it up solo next monday night after i get the kids in bed. 

• Haha 1

don’t try to church it up son.  have some rep, sir. 
for some strange reason, baby dirt actually chose me instead of lady dirt to cling to.  so as i was busy with her,  my oldest got impatient and ran off with the others. i think they each blew through $40 worth of chips in 30 minutes and got about $4 worth of candy out of it. 
planning on hitting it up solo next monday night after i get the kids in bed. 

That'll happen. But kids having fun is a great prize too. I just try to always hang onto the card so I can regulate how quick he piddles them away.

You can spend the money at DB. I used to blow 2 or 3 hundred bucks at a time when i first went. Drinks are expensive and you can get caught up in the scam and watch the tokens disappear. Had to change that bullshit up

Go on Wednesdays, do the 20 for 20, Bring a flask, put on some headphones and patiently enjoy the fun. 

The best times I have ever had were giving the good prizes away to little kids and watching the expression on their face. That all went to shit once everyone knew what I was going to do and they started hassling me or not being appreciative. Ruined it for everyone. 

• Haha 1

Took the kiddo today and employed some of the systems and tips provided. Spent $45 and earned about 7,000 points.

There are a couple of games that with some practice could become very reliable points winners. Milk jug toss, zombie stretcher, and quick drop come to mind first. And I’m quite prolific at the Wizard of Oz coin game but need to play that sparingly. The rare card is the Toto, so I work towards building up the set but don’t invest too much unless I see the Toto card.

I’ll definitely need to see how it goes on a Wednesday. Getting 7k+ points for $20 or less I think should work out.

Breakdown of cost per chip at D&B based on their recharging prices:
$100 = 750 chips = $0.133 ea
$50 = 300 = $0.166
$20 = 100 = $0.2
$10 = 48 = $0.208
Using the buy $20 get $20 = 200 = $0.1 ea.
Using the buy $10 get $10 = 96 = $0.104 ea

Clearly the buy $20 get $20 free is the best deal. Maximize this with the $10 offers that come in the emails. However, that takes a little time to build up a volume of chips since you only get that offer once a week. If you plan on going with your kids or something then it’s better to just buy the $100 charge than doing the $20-40 option a couple times.

I noticed today that most of the games go for 6.8 to 11 chips Per play. So on a normal day that is damn near $1 per play. Keep that in mind. That’s also why playing on Wednesday is the key. Also, of the games listed before, most of them tend to be on the lower cost per play part of the spectrum so that further improves your odds. Quick Drop, Zombie, Jug Toss.

It’ll be fun to go on a Wednesday and without an 8 yr old running me around to games to see how efficient I can be. It’ll definitely take practice on some games.

There you go.... Get the phone app and use the mobile coupon. I have the same card/band on my phone , my tablet and the wife's phone and tablet. That way I add four 20 for 20 coupons at a time.  I go to DB when I have 1,000 chips or more and only go on Wednesdays.  

I have a hell of a lot more fun going alone. 

Edited by nineliveslost

5 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

There you go.... Get the phone app and use the mobile coupon. I have the same card/band on my phone , my tablet and the wife's phone and tablet. That way I add four 20 for 20 coupons at a time.  I go to DB when I have 1,000 chips or more and only go on Wednesdays.  

I have a hell of a lot more fun going alone. 

Wait.  So if I download the D&B app to my ipad and link my PowerCard to that it'll let me do the 20 for 20 on each device in the same week?

5 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

Wait.  So if I download the D&B app to my ipad and link my PowerCard to that it'll let me do the 20 for 20 on each device in the same week?

have the app on my phone. i tried to add a new account to my ipad and it said my phone# is already in use. i’m probably doing it wrong though. 

On 4/16/2018 at 8:06 PM, nineliveslost said:

yes each app on device has to use a different cell phone number. I used my parents #s for the others

Ahh crap.  Well that's a limiting issue.

Also, how often do they send out the $20/20 deal?  It doesn't appear I got one this week, unless it's that they wait until Thurs to send it out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap.  Went yesterday afternoon around lunchtime for the half price deal.  There are clearly a shit ton more people that take advantage than I thought.  Saw a handful of dudes with headphones on that were moving from machine to machine strategically playing the games BlueGreySky suggested.  There were a few ladies there too that were clearly there to rack up points.  That was an interesting experience.

Oh, and the coin pushers may be the best value on 1/2 price day.  I've yet to master the other games so the value per play is hard to match.  On the jug toss I was never able to get the jackpot but got 4 in a couple of times.  The zombie pusher game didn't have any of the 300pt zombie pucks.  It had 1 of the 500pt ones that I managed to win, but then only the 250s were left.  So I didn't fuss with that much.  The ball drop game I can't ever get more than 45 in.  And in terms of point value if you can't hit the jackpot every few plays it doesn't seem worthwhile.

So, the coin pushers.  Clearly you scout the machines that have the most potential for chips and cards dropping first.  OR, if you know which is the rare card in the deck and you see one in a position to get you have to go for it.  For Wizard of Oz it's the Toto card.  For Star Trek it's the Tribbles card.   These are the ones that help you complete the set to get the 2,000/5,000pt bonus.   Right now I have 21 varied cards but no Toto.  I'll just hold all the cards as sets until I score some Toto cards.

The other thing about the coin pushers are the bonus plays.  I figured out that if I scan my card 3 times in a row when starting that without fail I'll get 1-2 of the 50 bonuses during that play.  If you know you'll be at the machine for a bit you might as well do it as you start with a few bonus plays for doing that anyway.  What I found was that with just 3 swipes plus the bonuses won that I'd usually be able to clear off what I wanted to get from that machine and then move on to the next one.  So that was 16.2 credits used and in doing so I'd get a bunch of those chips (15pts ea) and a few cards too.  Conversely on the jug toss you can play it 5 times for 17 credits.  I was averaging about 100-120 points per play so that was say 600 points earned.  I think the math will work out with the set bonuses that the coins are better IF they are positioned properly.  Conversely if I can get to where I score 3+ balls in the jug on every toss then that game becomes better.  But so far I can't average that as I'm more like 2 out of 5. 

Went this week. I am either getting slower/drunk quicker or they are changing up the win/play ratio. All the games seemed to be getting stingier also with less payouts when you do win... Still having fun but not winning like I used to 

I have also noticed a lot more people attempting to  play the system. 

i’ve mastered zombie snatcher.   we managed a babysitter last saturday so my wife and i went. walked up on a couple try a get the last letter. swiped once, grabbed the “e” and 1.6k jackpot. they shot a mean look at me and walked off.   spent the rest of the night with dos equips in hand watching my wife play the star trek coin pusher. 

we had a good laugh in that the rare instance we have a sitter, we’ve chosen to hit up d&b for a date. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2018 at 4:37 PM, joe dirt said:

i’ve mastered zombie snatcher.   we managed a babysitter last saturday so my wife and i went. walked up on a couple try a get the last letter. swiped once, grabbed the “e” and 1.6k jackpot. they shot a mean look at me and walked off.   spent the rest of the night with dos equips in hand watching my wife play the star trek coin pusher. 

we had a good laugh in that the rare instance we have a sitter, we’ve chosen to hit up d&b for a date. 

Yeah I've gotten pretty good at it as well.  Worst case it takes me 2 tries to get one down if it's in the open.  I've noticed that lately the big pucks with the 500 and 300 haven't been out.  Not sure how they recycle them in.  Rolled into a D&B last week to do the free $20 charge since I was by it and just walked in to see if there was something to snipe.  All that was left was the E to get the bonus, so I swiped and got it on my first try.  2,250 jackpot.  That was a solid win.

Noticed some other "pros" in there as well.  One dude at the Oz coin game had a small bucket full of the plastic chips and had stacks of cards wrapped up with rubber bands.  Easily had 60+ cards with him.