Jake?! You like Jake?! Jake’s my boy!!

Augustus

I think how many people would lose their careers and net worth in 2021 if they wrote a movie where each time a character said the name of the "Chinaman"...a gong sounded.  

I'm biased towards John Hughes but it's one of the 10 funniest films ever made.  There are so many jokes under the surface that I didn't get until decades later.  

And that cast.  The secondary players will never be so good again.  

That aside....................."Your parents own a church?" 

I love the dinner scene with the Rizchecks.  Took me well into the 90's to realize the mother-in-law had obviously been doing blow in the bathroom.  She does three finger wipes of the nose while talking to Samantha's mom.   

"You do shots?  C'mon, wolf it down.  Yeah, shots!"  

Edited by Lobo

It’s a rare comedy that shows you that great a rack but the only time touching breasts is shown, it’s the grandma feeling up molly ringwald.  

the older sister and Jamie Gertz were also smoking hot in the movie.  

also the 50’s clean close shave radio ad over the AMH scene was such a subtle stroke of comedic genius by Hughes.  Almost makes you forget about the date rape.  

Cancel culture can berate the movie all they want. And maybe it was different growing up here in Texas, but no filmmaker ever nailed the teenage experience like John Hughes.  

also, now that I’m a father of girls, samantha’s dad character cracks me up.  He’s just managing one drama after another and then feels crushed when he realizes it was her birthday.  Then he just gives her this smile as she’s ditching her own sisters wedding reception because he knows she’s happy.  He’ll have to listen to the mom, the other siblings, and grandparents complain “I can’t believe Samantha isn’t here for the toast, this is a tragedy!”   But he knows his little girl is happy and nobody can take that satisfaction from him.  Not even the fucking Rizchecks.  I mean the Rice Checks.  Reizczecks.  Ah, those fucking people!  

16 hours ago, Noah Fence said:

He was wearing a red argyle sweater, tan trousers and red shoes. . . . . No, he's not retarded.

that line gets bleeped out now when it's shown on TBS or Comedy Central.

i always wanted to start an 80s band called "Jake's My Boy"

"Does that really matter guy?

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

I always like when the two dorks are taken out of the trunk how the second dork just slides over to be picked up. I don’t know why that kills me but it does.

Linklater once said this movie (maybe presumably the scene you just referenced) helped inspire him (among may other muses) to make "Dazed & Confused"...these dorky freshmen just accepting their fate and getting it over with to speed up the pain.  

I have fond memories of watching Sixteen Candles with my sister with Down's Syndrome.  We grew up on John Hughes rentals from Benny's Video and Video 66 (we didn't get a blockbuster out our way until the early 90's).  And she laughs the hardest at the three Joan Cusack scenes (the stuttering conversation on the bus with AMH, the water fountain/dress, and the dance scene.  It's never fully explained what's wrong with Joan Cusack's character, you just laugh awkwardly at every scene she's in and you kinda feel bad about it.  I think my sister kinda identified with that.  I can still play her the clip at the water fountain where she's drooling and my sister cries laughing every damn time, 35 years later.  You couldn't have that character type in a movie today without a 10 minute trigger warning video ahead of time.  

All the scenes between The Geek and Jake just kill me.

The Geek : [noticing the car Jake puts Caroline in]  This, uh, your car, Jake?

Jake : No, this is my dad's car. You said you couldn't drive a stick.

The Geek : This is a mother - ! This is a Rolls-Royce, Jake.

Jake : So?

The Geek : SO? So? I hear the grill ALONE costs five grand on this. Five grand! Do you have five grand? I don't have five grand!

Jake : Then don't hit anything.

The Geek : [incredulous]  Ha ha! Don't hit anything.

• Like 1

Jake : I'll make a deal with you.

[holds up the panties] 

Jake : Let me keep these; I'll let you take Caroline home. But you gotta make sure she gets home. You can't leave her in some parking lot somewhere. Okay?

The Geek : Jake, I'm only a Freshman.

Jake : So? She's so blitzed she won't know the difference.

The Geek : Jake, I don't have a car.

Jake : You can take mine.

The Geek : Jake, I don't have license.

Jake : I trust you...

The Geek : Jake, I'd love to... I can't.

[holds out a bowl] 

The Geek : Want a pretzel?

Jake : You sure?

[takes the bowl and sets it down on the counter] 

The Geek : Positive.

5 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

when AMH is under the glass coffee table squealing Jaaaaaake, always kills me.  

And never realized that was Lenny playing in the background until about 20 years later.

To many quotes to name an official “best” but before the dorks go into Jakes house.  AMH rings the doorbell and then turns to them and say’s “and be polite to his parents”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Hate said:

Those were a glorious pair to see, especially if they were your first. It would almost be all down hill after that.

Glorious indeed.

Not sure today we'd get to see the shower scene of a female character who's in high school, even if the actress is of age.

I mean, I've had men who loved me before.  But not for six months in a row.  

-Ginny Baker 

(I was fascinated to learn the actress that played her, Blanche Baker, was an incredibly accomplished actress at the time of the film.  She won a Primetime Emmy for her very first credited role after attending the acclaimed Wellesley College.  She did serious Broadway and Shakespeare roles after that and then somehow a first-time director named John Hughes sells her on a role by saying, "Your big scene will be you stumbling down the aisle, whacked out of your mind on muscle relaxers.  You in?")