SuperBowl LV pregame thread :: new boss v. old boss

Hagbard Celine

Wouldn't that mean every team in the NFC would have been a facade? Brady didn't have some easy road aside from Washington. He beat the top 2 teams in NO and GB. People said the same about the Giants when they made similar runs and then faced off as big underdogs against Brady.

Does Tampa have a defense and particularly a pass rush like that Giants team did?

I know Gronk is also waaaay past his prime, but I like the aspect of 2 of the greatest TEs in the history of the game competing/ handing off the torch.

@Bigbend1812,     hatred of Chiefs from a Raider fan will always be proper.  Made me LOL.

Edited by slorch

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This. People that see an all time classic or close game are using stretchy logic. 

The fact that they already played a close game a couple of months ago is stretchy logic? It wouldn't shock me at all if KC ran away with it...they're that good...but I have 9 previous Tom Brady Super Bowl appearances suggesting a tight game.

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Yes. Gronk cannot repeat a 100 game yet Kelce’s game was very pedestrian. The likelihood Tampa holds KC scoreless in a tight game again is very low. And the tightness of the game was exacerbated by a back door cover touchdown with 4 minutes late. KC thoroughly outplayed them and the score didn’t reflect it. 

This is likely the biggest no brainer cover in modern Super Bowl memory. 

I agree. But the score is all that matters. Brady played like ass in the first half, KC won the turnover battle, Mahomes passed for 462 yards, Hill had 269 receiving yards and 3 TDs...and they still needed a 3rd and 7 conversion to prevent giving Brady the ball back with a chance to tie or win. Football is weird like that.

I wouldn't bet a single cent on TB covering, but far stranger things have happened.

I've had a soft spot for KC since Jamaal was running wild there.

Tampa Bay does nothing for me.

Although I have to acknowledge that Brady will probably be considered the GOAT if he ever retires, he's like 65, so ...

Edited by DoobieWah
I have to admit I've only seen about ten minutes of pro football in the last five years, so unlike anyone with the last name of Stoops, I obviously don't know dick.

2 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

I've had a soft spot for KC since Jamaal was running wild there.

Tampa Bay does nothing for me.

Although I have to acknowledge that Brady will probably be considered the GOAT if he ever retires, he's like 65, so ...

He's already considered the GOAT, and has been for some time now.

2 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I know. I just see a total mismatch on paper. If KC plays like they’re capable of, it doesn’t matter who they’re playing. They are going to roll. But shit happens, like with their Cleveland game last weekend. Still I’ll likely bet big on KC. 

Agreed. I don't really see anyone beating them. Didn't matter who came out of the NFC. No one was a match in the AFC at all. He shits all over every QB they had to offer. I do think Brady and Rodgers are better competition than any of the AFC QBs he could have faced in the AFC.

KC is just too good when they are on. No deficit bothers them at all. They have trailed in every one of Mahomes playoff games except one. And they come back with ease. Even down 10 last year with 10min to go. They score 21 in a flash and have an 11pt lead. Last night, trailed by 9 and if you left to go take a dump, you would have came back to see them in the lead. You can sometimes hold them down for awhile but eventually, they will get their points. The only time Mahomes has lost a playoff game, is when he was shutout for an entire half and Brady was a god damn wizard that game. And it still took OT and so many clutch plays to get it done. And had Dee Ford not lined up offsides, KC would have won anyways.

They remind me of the Warriors with Durant. No one really matches up at all. And it almost isn't fair to watch them and how better they are. You have to account for Hill and Kelce. And Mahomes is getting them the ball. How do you stop that for 60min?

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

They remind me of the Warriors with Durant. No one really matches up at all. And it almost isn't fair to watch them and how better they are. You have to account for Hill and Kelce. And Mahomes is getting them the ball. How do you stop that for 60min?

As a defense, you can study all the film you want and be prepared but the Chiefs execute so well that it doesn't matter.  And the additional problem is that Reid and Bieniemy are mad scientists when it comes to that offense, continuing to add wrinkles to it all the time.   And they'll add things to it to compensate for the offensive line issues, rest assured.  

Mahomes?  The guy is pure magic. He just does things that no else at the position is capable of doing or ever has been.   He's just a fascinating and fantastic player to watch.  Except if you're on the other side of the line of scrimmage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

As a defense, you can study all the film you want and be prepared but the Chiefs execute so well that it doesn't matter.  And the additional problem is that Reid and Bieniemy are mad scientists when it comes to that offense, continuing to add wrinkles to it all the time.   And they'll add things to it to compensate for the offensive line issues, rest assured.  

Mahomes?  The guy is pure magic. He just does things that no else at the position is capable of doing or ever has been.   He's just a fascinating and fantastic player to watch.  Except if you're on the other side of the line of scrimmage. 

Yep. Mahomes/Hill/Kelce in their primes is almost unstoppable to stop.And they can run the ball, too. You are just going to have to match them and capitalize on any mistake they make. SF looked to have them beat last year but then KC woke up and put up 21 like it was nothing. And SF had no answer when the avalanche happened. The problem is, KC made a 24pt deficit last playoffs look like a 7pt deficit. They erased it in 10 minutes of game time. They can easily come back from any deficit you throw at them. And once they erase it and get a 2 score lead, not sure how you come back from that. You have to assume they are going to score more than 30 minimum (well unless Mahomes gets hurt like the Browns game). Can your QB match and get over 30 as well? While having almost no room for error doing it? Doubtful. 

Even during the Pats dynasty and how great Brady and Bill were, I never got this feeling from them on how on earth do you stop them and beat them. The only time I really thought they were completely unstoppable was 2007 with Randy Moss. And they were until the Giants happened.They had great teams (duh) but this Chiefs team is just different. So explosive and like you said, Mahomes is pure magic. I've never seen a QB make it look so easy.

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

This is why I wish Dallas would stop trying to build this great wall and using so many draft resources and extensions on OL. It does not need to be done in today's game. Especially if you are going to ask Dak to throw it 50 times a game. You don't need a line that is going to exert its will all game. Just hold up enough. 

On 1/26/2021 at 1:37 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just remember the Chiefs D Coordinator has faced Brady in a Super Bowl before and it did not end well for Brady in the game that shall never be spoken about again.  The Chiefs have the D Line that could get to Brady.

how are they at Dtackle? i think that is where Brady gets fucked the most. See Donald, Aaron, or Tuck, Justin. 

I think the chefs are good at DE no? a lot easier to scheme around DEs than a game changer like Donald at DT IMO

Edited by staboner

Both backup QBs  are mentioned in this song.  Only one will  come away with a ring.

When it's the fourth quarter and the game's on the line Just be glad that Blaine's on your side If you blitz him on third down, you'll pay the price He'll hit his receiver right in stride

1 hour ago, staboner said:

how are they at Dtackle? i think that is where Brady gets fucked the most. See Donald, Aaron, or Tuck, Justin. 

I think the chefs are good at DE no? a lot easier to scheme around DEs than a game changer like Donald at DT IMO

Chris Jones is the 2nd best DT in the league and they have a few decent run stuffers as well.

On 1/25/2021 at 7:15 AM, Bigbend1812 said:

I think the Superbowl will look like the AFC championship game.  Chiefs win easily.  Brady is the GOAT so there is always that factor, but he doesn’t play defense.   Oh and FUCK the CHIEFS. 

I do not think Josh Allen was beating Brady or Rodgers in the Super Bowl had Buffalo won. So you are half right with the AFC title game being the Super Bowl. KC won so I guess it was theoretically. But Buffalo was the weakest of the 4 teams left last week.