Crawfish Season 2021

Storm the Field

19 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

i took him to mean throwing ice into the boil itself once the burner is cut....same as myself.

Our practice has often been to use frozen half ears of corn in the boil.  Toss those in at the beginning of the soak.  It does the "ice" function, and it cooks the corn, but not too mushy.

• Hook 'Em 2

Prices still damn high, but starting to ease off just a tad in certain areas.

HEB in Houston this past weekend was freaking $3.97/lb for field run.

The places I check on FB down on the coast are starting to come down to more reasonable prices. Boyd's in Texas City just posted their prices for this upcoming weekend and they're $2.49 for field run, $2.98 for large mix.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

If you’re interested in $9/lb. restaurant crawfish, Bayou City Seafood on Richmond in Houston does a really good job. They are big, spicy and not overcooked.

Do they have outdoor seating/patio? 

I wish Goode and Co Seafood would bring back their crawfish. They were spicy as hell. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 1/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, Ten Bears said:

Can we lump oysters in this thread too?  I bought a box of Gulf oysters from Quality Seafood last weekend and they were delicious.  Very plump and for Gulf oysters they were nice and briny.

Fun things to do with gulf oysters: deep fry them or chargrill them. Shuck em, keep oyster in the shell over the grill, add lemon pepper butter and parmesan chesse. Epic af!

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Fun things to do with gulf oysters: deep fry them or chargrill them. Shuck em, keep oyster in the shell over the grill, add lemon pepper butter and parmesan chesse. Epic af!

Yup, sounds tasty.  And I'm nobody's thread police, but if you're interested in oysters and want more ideas for prep and recipes, there's a thread about them here:

I've probably said this before but for the Houston crowd, making the ~40 minute drive down to the Seabrook markets is worth it if you are doing a multi-sack boil.

I grabbed some last weekend for $2.69/lb. Good size and almost zero dead loss. Also got some large blue crabs that were as full of meat as I've ever seen. 

Also, several of them take reservations either online or via text. Super convenient.

Unfortunately looks like the Easter weekend price gouging is upon us. Everywhere I've looked that lists prices online is around $0.50/lb higher than they were last weekend.

Edited by Storm the Field

Dammit, anybody got a line on a good source for sacks in the Austin area?  HEB is at $4.50, Quality is $4.75.  Stuffed is $4.50 ($4.25 if I get three sacks or more).  I'm planning on boiling a coupla sacks next weekend, and will pay what I gotta pay....but was hoping to go sub $4.  Not looking great for that. 

I know it's early season, they're smaller, and more expensive.  But, and this is important: I want some fucking crawfish now, and a lot of them.

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dammit, anybody got a line on a good source for sacks in the Austin area?  HEB is at $4.50, Quality is $4.75.  Stuffed is $4.50 ($4.25 if I get three sacks or more).  I'm planning on boiling a coupla sacks next weekend, and will pay what I gotta pay....but was hoping to go sub $4.  Not looking great for that. 

I know it's early season, they're smaller, and more expensive.  But, and this is important: I want some fucking crawfish now, and a lot of them.

You can never go wrong with Quality Seafood.  Money isn't everything...

Y’all are fucking worthless. I’m gonna stop adding to the bbq and burger joint threads because anytime I ask for a rec about something, no one has a worth a fuck recommendation. 

so rather than hit up The Boiling Pot in Fulton, I tried SR Boil House in Rockport. I think it was better than the boiling pot. My wife was complaining the corn, potatoes and sausage were too spicy (she doesn’t like boiled crawfish). So that alone means at least we are on the right path. So good level of spice and flavor. 

Here is the aftermath you worthless fucks. 

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all are fucking worthless. I’m gonna stop adding to the bbq and burger joint threads because anytime I ask for a rec about something, no one has a worth a fuck recommendation. 

so rather than hit up The Boiling Pot in Fulton, I tried SR Boil House in Rockport. I think it was better than the boiling pot. My wife was complaining the corn, potatoes and sausage were too spicy (she doesn’t like boiled crawfish). So that alone means at least we are on the right path. So good level of spice and flavor. 

Here is the aftermath you worthless fucks. 

spacer.png

That looks like the beginning of a great batch of seafood stock.

15 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You sound poor /surly

But you answered your own questions-- still a bit early in the season.  A friend in Baton Rouge also told me the southern deep freeze last month had affected their early harvests which drove the prices up in the near term, but that should even out over time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 4:57 PM, FartingMonk said:

HEB just dropped their prices to 1.50 a sack.  They are closed tomorrow so all the crawfish has got to go

Mrs. CHIEF just went by HEB and bought a sack for a Sunday night family boil. It was $1.50/lb. They get nervous on Sunday nights, since most people don't have boils during the week. Gonna have to go back to making Sunday night "crawfish night" for the next month and a half.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Prices coming down steadily at the seafood markets. Down $0.40/lb since weekend before Easter.

Paid $4.25 for 66 lbs at Quality Seafood this weekend.  They weren't bad size for this time, very few dead lost.  Didn't have a big crew....and we still managed to put down probably 58 lbs, then quickly peeled the last 8 lbs for etouffee later.

Used the new 100 gallon double jet cooker.  It was great.  Brought the water to a rolling boil in maybe 25 mins.  Cooked two batches really quickly.  Started cooking sometime after 3:00, we were sitting down to eat both batches by 4:30.

I mean, we STARTED early, with boudin for breakfast, then shucking oysters and eating them raw and chargrilled for lunch.  But finishing with a shitload of crawfish was good.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Paid $4.25 for 66 lbs at Quality Seafood this weekend.  They weren't bad size for this time, very few dead lost.  Didn't have a big crew....and we still managed to put down probably 58 lbs, then quickly peeled the last 8 lbs for etouffee later.

Used the new 100 gallon double jet cooker.  It was great.  Brought the water to a rolling boil in maybe 25 mins.  Cooked two batches really quickly.  Started cooking sometime after 3:00, we were sitting down to eat both batches by 4:30.

I mean, we STARTED early, with boudin for breakfast, then shucking oysters and eating them raw and chargrilled for lunch.  But finishing with a shitload of crawfish was good.

I posted a pic in the pool thread, but had a 1 sack boil (31 lbs) this weekend. Same bugs you had Brisket, very good size and out of a 31lb sack only 11 crawfish dead. 

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I posted a pic in the pool thread, but had a 1 sack boil (31 lbs) this weekend. Same bugs you had Brisket, very good size and out of a 31lb sack only 11 crawfish dead. 

You got the other 31 lb sack I rejected.  Guy has a cart full, says "I have a 31 and a 31."  Yeah, you also have a 35 -- gimme one of those.  I'm a man, I like ta eat.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

I'm hosting a small neighborhood boil this weekend. First time - very stoked.

Hitting Quality Seafood Sat morning - single 30lb sack at $3.75.

*Be careful ordering/checking out - their cart auto filled 15% gratuity

Yeah, and I clicked on it anyway.  In the COVID times, I'm tipping whenever it's an option.

47 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Buddy got a new crawfish boiler so we put it to use this past weekend. Worked out nicely. Finally remembered to get a pic of a platter on my 3rd trip. Almost needed a wheelbarrow to get me out of there. 1b6cb27fc8b6e39be7efeda5c340d37b.jpg

Pro tip: never wear skinny jeans to a crawfish boil.

• Haha 1