Crawfish Season 2021

Storm the Field

3 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Favorite place in Seabrook's prices for this coming weekend are down to $1.99 for large, $2.59 for jumbo. Now we're talking.

I always like larges over jumbo. Crawfish are just like English bulldogs, the front half seems to grow much faster than the tail. If you peeled out a hundred of each, and then weighed them, I bet they would be almost the exact same weight. And you would pay $21 more for a 35 lb. sack of jumbos.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I always like larges over jumbo. Crawfish are just like English bulldogs, the front half seems to grow much faster than the tail. If you peeled out a hundred of each, and then weighed them, I bet they would be almost the exact same weight. And you would pay $21 more for a 35 lb. sack of jumbos.

CHIEF

That might be true only if you compared the amount of tail meat in each 35 pound sack simply because there will be more crawfish in the large vs jumbo. But I agree with you for a different reason. Jumbo’s shells tend to be a lot harder and more difficult to peel. 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

That might be true only if you compared the amount of tail meat in each 35 pound sack simply because there will be more crawfish in the large vs jumbo. But I agree with you for a different reason. Jumbo’s shells tend to be a lot harder and more difficult to peel. 

True. They will rough up your thumbs. I let everyone else pick out the jumbos in our field runs. Jumbos also don't usually come out of the tail intact, as you have to exert too much pressure to tear a couple of rings off and it takes half the meat with it.

CHIEF

17 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Never done a 2 pot boil. What amount of seasonings go into the cooking pot vs the soaking pot? 

I’d say 1/4 in boiling pot and the rest in soaking. The only reason to put any spice in boiling pot is If you are using it to cook the vegetables. 

• Hook 'Em 1

First boil in the books. Bugs turned out damn good. Could have used a bit more spice and soak time but still tasty as hell.

Basically, followed instructions from multiple sources on the interwebs. Nothing to it. Quality Seafood came through - I think we had maybe 3 dead out of a 30 lb sack.

Sprang for the Cowboy's Crawfish Washer - worked out nicely.

Looking forward to the next one.

By the way, highly recommend Pecan Smoked Andouille from Stuffed on 620. Killer.20210424_160740.jpg20210424_172238.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

our first time...lot of work but was mostly fun to get to socialize with a group for the first time in over a year...had a blast! 😁

afterwards we distributed gloves and had a 'pick party'...so i've got about 1 1/2-2lbs of leftover tail meat...

etouffe is the obvious choice, also eyeing a chowder recipe (which also uses the leftover pots/corn)... any recommendations?

20210424_171345.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Wtf

30 years ago, got tossed out of the Posse East because the owner had a crawfish boil and did just that. Didn’t season the water, poured a quart of cayenne powder shit on them after they cooked, and insisted that “this is how they do it in Louisiana, the flavor steams in.” My Coonass buddy and I explained rather firmly that he was full of shit, and he told us to GTFO.
  • Haha 2