Crawfish Season 2021

Storm the Field

Crawfish boils were one of the under-the-radar casualties of COVID last year. Had multiple large annual parties cancelled, and I think I ate crawfish just once in all of 2020, a one-sack boil with 8 people in attendance.  Here's to hoping for better in 2021. 

Read an article last week that it's been a slow start with a fairly cold winter in Louisiana, catches are still pretty sparse. That said, I did see on FB that a couple of the seafood markets down on the coast had their first sacks of the season for sale this past weekend. Crazy expensive and sold out quick. Will try to keep thread updated with prices every now and then.

3 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

Can we lump oysters in this thread too?  I bought a box of Gulf oysters from Quality Seafood last weekend and they were delicious.  Very plump and for Gulf oysters they were nice and briny.

$80 for the box and 80-100? That's what I saw on their website.  I keep threatening to do an oyster broil, but... covid....  Though I may get a fire pit and grill going out front in the driveway and invite some friends by.  

Back when I was a 16 years old swimming/soccer machine I ate 10 dozen in my second real sit down with raw oysters.  No crackers, just red sauce with horseradish, but I love those suckers.  I was only a two dozen away from "Louisiana Jim's" record at the time. And those were the good old days where you always got one extra oyster so you couldn't bitch about the small one, so 130 down the hatch! The owner lady bought me the last two dozen. They were also like $4-5 a dozen.  

I also missed the shit out or crawfish season for the most part, but did eat some in New Orleans when visiting my daughter last year.  I Joked then that crawfish is the perfect covid training dish... you will learn not to touch you nose and eyes pretty darn quick when eating them!

Only secret I have is to take you hot mud bugs and give them a quick ice water bath. Then toss into cooler and season.  That 30-60 seconds in the ice bath makes the meat pull back slightly from the shell, and they peel smooth as silk!

I saw some in Galveston in early December.  Crazy.  I saw a facebook video where some coonass describes the problems farms are having.  Says there's too much to eat in the fields so they aren't going into the traps yet.  Also, demand for crawfish before regular crawfish season fucks things up long term because farmers are harvesting them too early.

While I appreciate the enthusiasm in the thread, I would suggest increasing your friend circle to include Cajuns/Louisiana natives. Stop buying crawfish at HEB. Be better Surly. 

I'll eat free crawfish beginning in late March. I won't pay for it until May. Most of the Louisianimals will tell you May/early June is peak season. 

On 1/25/2021 at 3:09 PM, Ten Bears said:

Can we lump oysters in this thread too?  I bought a box of Gulf oysters from Quality Seafood last weekend and they were delicious.  Very plump and for Gulf oysters they were nice and briny.

Yeah, we usually get a bushel sack of oysters every other week or so. Usually there are about a hundred oysters in each bushel sack. Right now that number is closer to 65, they are absolutely huge. Pretty much every one is a "two biter".

CHIEF

1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

Yeah, we usually get a bushel sack of oysters every other week or so. Usually there are about a hundred oysters in each bushel sack. Right now that number is closer to 65, they are absolutely huge. Pretty much every one is a "two biter".

CHIEF

Where do you get them?

I have a buddy that is the sales supervisor at Bassham Foods in Ft. Worth. I usually buy out of what the restaurant's don't buy for the week. It's about 90% restaurant supply, but has a storefront for consumers as well. I still get a better price than the storefront though. They actively push them to me.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
storefront
  • Drool 1

Only secret I have is to take you hot mud bugs and give them a quick ice water bath. Then toss into cooler and season.  That 30-60 seconds in the ice bath makes the meat pull back slightly from the shell, and they peel smooth as silk!

Wtf? Are you one of those “season the outside of the shells” people are you?

Season the water. That’s what you do.
  • Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I have a buddy that dips some of the boil water out, enough to throw in a 5 lb. bag of ice, and throws it in when they shut down the burner to soak. He IS a coonass, and it does make them easier to peel, however, mine still taste better than his.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF

I have a buddy that dips some of the boil water out, enough to throw in a 5 lb. bag of ice, and throws it in when they shut down the burner to soak. He IS a coonass, and it does make them easier to peel, however, mine still taste better than his.
CHIEF

I’m fine with various soaks. Even trying an ice water dip. But lord do I hate the trend of pouring seasoning all over the outside of the crawfish, and even worse, it’s often done in lieu of seasoning the boil water.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I’m fine with various soaks. Even trying an ice water dip. But lord do I hate the trend of pouring seasoning all over the outside of the crawfish, and even worse, it’s often done in lieu of seasoning the boil water.

I do them the same way I do shrimp and crab.  Boil 'em in heavily seasoned water until just done and then add enough ice to cool off the boil, stop the cooking, and let them season up.  Maybe chill for an hour or more before eating.  

25 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Exterior seasoning can be good if done correctly. Lots of butter and Tajin. BB's on White Oak in Houston is a prime example.

The strictly traditional Louisiana boil can be kind of bland. They like for the quality of the crawfish to speak for itself which is fine, but not for me. 

Exterior seasoning can be good if done correctly. Lots of butter and Tajin. BB's on White Oak in Houston is a prime example.
The strictly traditional Louisiana boil can be kind of bland. They like for the quality of the crawfish to speak for itself which is fine, but not for me. 

If the traditional boils you’ve had are bland, they’re doing it wrong. Seriously, they’re doing it wrong. I’ve had traditional boiled crawfish that will burn your ears off, all the way down to mild, but with plenty of flavor. The key is the soak. That way, the seasoning is on the thing you eat, not the shell or your fingers. I’ve been eating boiled seafood for decades. It’s not hard to do right.

The strictly traditional Louisiana boil can be kind of bland.

you must be eating some fugazzi stuff, some of the best boils I’ve had were by non-LA natives done in the traditional way. they always season the water and allow for a soak before draining and serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If the traditional boils you’ve had are bland, they’re doing it wrong. Seriously, they’re doing it wrong. I’ve had traditional boiled crawfish that will burn your ears off, all the way down to mild, but with plenty of flavor. The key is the soak. That way, the seasoning is on the thing you eat, not the shell or your fingers. I’ve been eating boiled seafood for decades. It’s not hard to do right.

Do you have some restaurant recommendations? I have very desire to do it myself. 

Do you have some restaurant recommendations? I have very desire to do it myself. 

Floyd’s in Beaumont doesn’t do a bad job. But shit, any of the drive thru joints in south La. are top notch.

In Austin....I kinda got nuthin. Never found a place that does them really well. Pappadeaux is fine, I guess. I recall that Pacific Star did a decent job back in the day. But if I want them done right, I do them myself, or go to a friend’s boil.

1 minute ago, hornimal said:

you must be eating some fugazzi stuff, some of the best boils I’ve had were by non-LA natives done in the traditional way. they always season the water and allow for a soak before draining and serving.

Nope. I go to a traditional boil every summer south of Houston. They cooks drive in Lafayette with live crawfish, seasoning, and a boiling rig. Very bland crawfish. Not rich, not spicy. I go because it's free and basically a work thing. 

I will agree that these guys aren't the best at their craft. I'm sure there's better stuff out there, but these guys are from Lafayette and boil crawfish for a living. 

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Floyd’s in Beaumont doesn’t do a bad job. But shit, any of the drive thru joints in south La. are top notch.

In Austin....I kinda got nuthin. Never found a place that does them really well. Pappadeaux is fine, I guess. I recall that Pacific Star did a decent job back in the day. But if I want them done right, I do them myself, or go to a friend’s boil.

I believe there's a Floyd's in Webster. I might have to give it go. 

While I appreciate the enthusiasm in the thread, I would suggest increasing your friend circle to include Cajuns/Louisiana natives. Stop buying crawfish at HEB. Be better Surly. 
I'll eat free crawfish beginning in late March. I won't pay for it until May. Most of the Louisianimals will tell you May/early June is peak season. 

This seems to be a reoccurring take I have heard over the years in Houston. People think that their farm raised crawfish from Louisiana somehow tastes different / or is more authentic than farm raised crawfish from around Beaumont.

Doesn’t matter where it is from, or if a Cajun / Texan / whoever cooks it, as long as the water is properly seasoned and bugs soak long enough. It’s not rocket science.

I plan on eating my weight in crawfish this year to make up for 2020.

Season water with 150% of called for powder seasoning. Add your preferred amount of liquid boil (little goes a long way).

Place bugs in water at a rolling boil. Usually let them go with lid on for 7 minutes. Kill fire, drop in frozen corn, (also serves to cool off the water for the soak) let soak around 25 minutes. Bugs will absorb more flavor as the water cools.

Now for the beat tradition of crawfish season - Everyone chime in give their method and why the above is wrong. Bet there are a thousand ways to make good crawfish.

3 bad ways.
- not enough seasoning / liquid boil in water
- overcooked / undercooked
- not enough soak time

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ScooterHTX said:

This seems to be a reoccurring take I have heard over the years in Houston. People think that their farm raised crawfish from Louisiana somehow tastes different / or is more authentic than farm raised crawfish from around Beaumont.

Doesn’t matter where it is from, or if a Cajun / Texan / whoever cooks it, as long as the water is properly seasoned and bugs soak long enough. It’s not rocket science.

I plan on eating my weight in crawfish this year to make up for 2020.

Season water with 150% of called for powder seasoning. Add your preferred amount of liquid boil (little goes a long way).

Place bugs in water at a rolling boil. Usually let them go with lid on for 7 minutes. Kill fire, drop in frozen corn, (also serves to cool off the water for the soak) let soak around 25 minutes. Bugs will absorb more flavor as the water cools.

Now for the beat tradition of crawfish season - Everyone chime in give their method and why the above is wrong. Bet there are a thousand ways to make good crawfish.

3 bad ways.
- not enough seasoning / liquid boil in water
- overcooked / undercooked
- not enough soak time

I have a 200 qt. pot. I usually double the amount of spice recommended, I use Swamp Fire when I can find it, but usually have to end up with the Louisiana brand from HEB, which ain't bad. Also add one big bottle of the Zateran's liquid. Get the water boiling, throw in 3 lbs. of red potatoes, pearl onions, lemons, and throw a sack in (I just rinse them in the sack if they have been purged, if not, I throw them in kiddie pools and clean them with a high pressure nozzle on the hose, and change out the water a couple of times) and boil for 10 minutes, turn off, add my frozen corn to cool down and stop the cooking process. Put a timer on for 25 minutes, then pull them out and throw in a cooler, and leave the lid open. I do like a small amount of seasoning on the outside, but usually less than a half cup, i'll sprinkle a little on top, then shut the lid and "williwog" the cooler to get everything seasoned. Set the cooler down, open it up and let everyone dig in. 

So pretty much the same.

One thing that you MUST do, is change the water out after every other batch, or they will taste muddy on the third pot.

CHIEF

29 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

200.gif

Boil House in Houston is our go to.  They've already started, but we will probably hold off a few weeks.  

Yeah, them and the Boot have already started, but I'll be holding off for a while. I usually don't even consider eating crawfish until after Mardi Gras, typically a small boil for my bday in early March.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Yeah, them and the Boot have already started, but I'll be holding off for a while. I usually don't even consider eating crawfish until after Mardi Gras, typically a small boil for my bday in early March.

I saw a price, the other day of $10.50/lb. I guess if you are one of those pussies that eat a pound or two, that might be doable, but I couldn't get out under $100 at that price. Usually our first big one is on my Bday, March 22nd, the most I have ever paid is $3.79/lb. We usually don't have any other big boils until they get below about $2.50/lb. Even then everyone coming kicks some money into the pot. I usually get mine from the same guy I get oysters from, but it was pure ecstasy back when our HEB would ship 40 sacks a week without taking orders prior. One Monday morning, I bought four sacks (120 lbs.) for $10, just so they could get rid of them. That happened several weekends in a row, my back porch smelled like a Bangladeshi whorehouse. Now, you have to preorder.

CHIEF

31 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

This is correct answer.

We'll see what happens this year. There's usually a big Rodeo crawfish boil in March that I'm sure we'll get pushed back a few months.

20 hours ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Y’all eat a shit ton of oysters!  A bushel sack every two weeks?  How do you cook them, do you switch it up often?  

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Pacific Star did something odd, like coated them in melted butter or something-- I didn't dig it.  But in general I do like their Louisiana-style and fried seafood offerings, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a colder beer in Austin.

C&R Surf and Turf in Cedar Park does a good job on crawfish.

10 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Pacific Star did something odd, like coated them in melted butter or something-- I didn't dig it.  But in general I do like their Louisiana-style and fried seafood offerings, and you'd be hard-pressed to find a colder beer in Austin.

C&R Surf and Turf in Cedar Park does a good job on crawfish.

A shitload of places do the "put them in a plastic bag with melted butter" thing.  As I understand, that's kind of a viet-cajun thing.  I've had it from time to time, and it's okay.  But I guess I'm just a traditionalist at heart -- been eating them since long before the "season the outside" and "cover them in butter" things existed.

13 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Y’all eat a shit ton of oysters!  A bushel sack every two weeks?  How do you cook them, do you switch it up often?  

About half raw, a lot Drago's style, oyster shooters, shrimp and oyster cocktails. I make some with Italian bread crumbs, parmesan, cooked bacon coated in brown sugar and cayenne, butter, and mignonette. A made-up Japanese one with ponzu, sake, and a pinch of wasabi. Enough ways to keep it interesting.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

A shitload of places do the "put them in a plastic bag with melted butter" thing.  As I understand, that's kind of a viet-cajun thing.  I've had it from time to time, and it's okay.  But I guess I'm just a traditionalist at heart -- been eating them since long before the "season the outside" and "cover them in butter" things existed.

I've never eaten them that way, but Mrs. CHIEF ate them once at Crawfish&Noodles in Houston, and said it was incredible, mainly because she had always only eaten them cajun style. Said it was a nice change of pace. I don't think there is anything on this planet that a vietnamese cook can't make taste "out of this World" except maybe bats or pangolins.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I have a 200 qt. pot. I usually double the amount of spice recommended, I use Swamp Fire when I can find it, but usually have to end up with the Louisiana brand from HEB, which ain't bad. Also add one big bottle of the Zateran's liquid. Get the water boiling, throw in 3 lbs. of red potatoes, pearl onions, lemons, and throw a sack in (I just rinse them in the sack if they have been purged, if not, I throw them in kiddie pools and clean them with a high pressure nozzle on the hose, and change out the water a couple of times) and boil for 10 minutes, turn off, add my frozen corn to cool down and stop the cooking process. Put a timer on for 25 minutes, then pull them out and throw in a cooler, and leave the lid open. I do like a small amount of seasoning on the outside, but usually less than a half cup, i'll sprinkle a little on top, then shut the lid and "williwog" the cooler to get everything seasoned. Set the cooler down, open it up and let everyone dig in. 

So pretty much the same.

One thing that you MUST do, is change the water out after every other batch, or they will taste muddy on the third pot.

CHIEF

This is pretty close to what we do.  We drop potatoes and orange halves first.  Green onions, sausage, and artichokes 5-10 minutes later.  We usually do an additional dump of spice before the bugs to offset everything the veggies have soaked up.  We also drop in butter, the idea is it helps move/bind the seasoning to the meat.  No idea if that's true, but it tastes good, so whatever.  We don't have a massive pot, so it usually takes us two runs to cook a sack.  Second batch gets another big spice dump and soak at the end.  First batch is mom/kid friendly, second batch brings some heat.  We are also pro spice sprinkle after dumping in the cooler.  May not get into the bugs, but it gets on the sides and your fingers as you eat, so you get value out of it no matter what.  

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

6 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I've never eaten them that way, but Mrs. CHIEF ate them once at Crawfish&Noodles in Houston, and said it was incredible, mainly because she had always only eaten them cajun style. Said it was a nice change of pace. I don't think there is anything on this planet that a vietnamese cook can't make taste "out of this World" except maybe bats or pangolins.

CHIEF

Could be Viet-Cajun, I don't know.  About the only thing different was the butter, and it seemed more like it was drowned in drawn butter, lobster-style, but with no other seasoning.  And that might sound pretty good in theory, but it didn't come out that way-- it really muddled the flavor.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Could be Viet-Cajun, I don't know.  About the only thing different was the butter, and it seemed more like it was drowned in drawn butter, lobster-style, but with no other seasoning.  And that might sound pretty good in theory, but it didn't come out that way-- it really muddled the flavor.

The butter is usually a seasoned butter -- garlic, lemongrass, other spices.  It's not bad, I don't object to it every now and then.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The butter is usually a seasoned butter -- garlic, lemongrass, other spices.  It's not bad, I don't object to it every now and then.

Yeah eat a ton of Vietnamese, I know the flavors.  This wasn't that.  It was like drawn butter.  Really heavy.  Not really seasoned.  It muddled the flavors.

Edit: I'll add, this was many years ago, probably 5 or 6.  It was the first and only time I tried it there, because I didn't like the butter.  I have no idea what they do, these days.

Edited by utee94

Ive eaten there several times and its definitely viet cajun. I usual do more crabs with viet cajun then crawfish and Ive come to prefer that style over regular cajun, much more flavor and heat.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

This is pretty close to what we do.  We drop potatoes and orange halves first.  Green onions, sausage, and artichokes 5-10 minutes later.  We usually do an additional dump of spice before the bugs to offset everything the veggies have soaked up.  We also drop in butter, the idea is it helps move/bind the seasoning to the meat.  No idea if that's true, but it tastes good, so whatever.  We don't have a massive pot, so it usually takes us two runs to cook a sack.  Second batch gets another big spice dump and soak at the end.  First batch is mom/kid friendly, second batch brings some heat.  We are also pro spice sprinkle after dumping in the cooler.  May not get into the bugs, but it gets on the sides and your fingers as you eat, so you get value out of it no matter what.  

Yep, butter helps, we throw a pound in the pot. We used to add sausage, mushrooms, and artichoke hearts, and we will if we have a lot of folks and the bugs are still expensive. If it's just the family, it's enough corn to cool the pot for soaking, and maybe 4-5 potatoes. I don't eat anything but crawfish. I always tell the wife and son, they can have the "filler", usually gets an eye roll. We do the same, and make a tamer batch the first round. The second batch, and everyone is sucking air hard enough, it sounds like twenty Powerstrokes spooling up.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/26/2021 at 9:15 PM, Brisketexan said:

NO!  But adding some extra seasoning is a way to ramp up the heat for some folks, that want it hotter.  We usually go with a medium heat, but we have a couple friends that want extra seasoning.  BUT TRY THE QUICK ICE BATH IF YOU HAVE NOT! MAKES THEM MUCH EASIER PEELING.  I am a peeling machine anyhow, but having the meat pull just a hair away from the shell makes them pop out even easier. 

My BIL beat me to buying one of the dump cookers last year that we planned on using for some parties, but covid.  

8 minutes ago, horn4life said:

NO!  But adding some extra seasoning is a way to ramp up the heat for some folks, that want it hotter.  We usually go with a medium heat, but we have a couple friends that want extra seasoning.  BUT TRY THE QUICK ICE BATH IF YOU HAVE NOT! MAKES THEM MUCH EASIER PEELING.  I am a peeling machine anyhow, but having the meat pull just a hair away from the shell makes them pop out even easier. 

My BIL beat me to buying one of the dump cookers last year that we planned on using for some parties, but covid.  

For extra seasoning, here's the easy thing -- have a big shaker of Tony's or Zatarains seasoning on the table.  If you want some, pour a little pile on the newspaper in front of you.  When you peel a tail, dip it slightly in the seasoning.   Boom, you have a crawfish tail with extra seasoning -- and it's on the meat, not your fingers, which are already doing enough work.

And yes, we do the chill thing -- usually with frozen corn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For extra seasoning, here's the easy thing -- have a big shaker of Tony's or Zatarains seasoning on the table.  If you want some, pour a little pile on the newspaper in front of you.  When you peel a tail, dip it slightly in the seasoning.   Boom, you have a crawfish tail with extra seasoning -- and it's on the meat, not your fingers, which are already doing enough work.

And yes, we do the chill thing -- usually with frozen corn.

This but do it with Slap Ya Mama - Hot (red can).