Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush

GhostOfTomJoad

L.A. Confidential has been in rotation lately. Such a brilliant film. I was watching a 'behind the scenes' bit the other day and the director (Curtis Hanson) told Kevin Spacey (I know, but damn if he wasn't a brilliant actor) to approach the character of Jack Vincennes as Dean Martin. And he nailed it.

• Hook 'Em 4

18 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Has anyone read the novel? My understanding is that it's much more complex with 8 intersecting storylines. Jame Ellroy is on record saying he didn't think it was possible to turn it into a film, but thinks Hanson and co-writer Brian Helgeland created a masterpiece.

It is fairly bizarro as is most of Ellroy's stuff.

58 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Has anyone read the novel? My understanding is that it's much more complex with 8 intersecting storylines. Jame Ellroy is on record saying he didn't think it was possible to turn it into a film, but thinks Hanson and co-writer Brian Helgeland created a masterpiece.

As great as the movie is, the book is better. His whole underworld quartet is phenomenal(LA Confidential is the 3rd book in this series), and his Underworld USA trilogy is a fucking masterpiece. If you like this movie and enjoy reading, I can't recommend James Ellroy's books enough.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Tremayne said:

As great as the movie is, the book is better. His whole underworld quartet is phenomenal(LA Confidential is the 3rd book in this series), and his Underworld USA trilogy is a fucking masterpiece. If you like this movie and enjoy reading, I can't recommend James Ellroy's books enough.

Sorry, it's the LA Quartet and Underworld USA Trilogy. 

And yeah... great fucking movie.

Was Vincennes getting shot one of the most shocking death scenes in movie history? I remember literally jumping and the entire movie theater audibly gasped out loud in the theater back in '97.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Like others have said, LA Confidential and the other novels in the LA Quartet are all great.  Helgeland/Hanson did a great job of distilling a very sprawling novel down while retaining the overall essence and getting rid of the stuff that would have planted it firmly in NC-17 territory.   Underworld USA Trilogy was great as well.  The two books in what Ellroy plans to be The Second LA Quartet have been a little bit uneven IMO.  

If you happen to read Black Dahlia, skip the De Palma movie from 10 or 15 years ago.  Complete dogshit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I devoured Ellroy's books back in the early 2000s, so I'm glad that this thread has tipped me to the fact that there's a since been a book after The Cold Six Thousand. 

If you aren't familiar with Ellroy's personal life, it's pretty fucked up, and explains a lot about his writing. 

"James Ellroy - Wikipedia" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Ellroy

This is absolutely one of my all time favorite movies. I loved everything about it. 

And to this day my wife and I call someone at a traffic light in the right hand lane that doesn’t turn a rollo tomasi. 

Username doesn’t check out...

One of my favorite movies...

She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die She don't die so I don't die 

On 1/26/2021 at 8:45 AM, Dick Tremayne said:

Bought the quartet.  Thanks for the rec.

• Hook 'Em 1

movie is in my top 10 for sure. it's always spectacular when an entire cast just nails their parts. 

and another vote for American Tabloid, which is in my top 5 for novels. i've read it three times...it just immerses you in this fictional(??) universe, all the intertwining historical characters...i love that time period and noire in general and AT is a masterpiece of the genre. can't recommend enough!

Prepuce mentioned Ellroy's rather fucked-up personal biography...My Dark Places is a pretty dark read, pun intended.  

• Hook 'Em 1

And yeah... great fucking movie.
Was Vincennes getting shot one of the most shocking death scenes in movie history? I remember literally jumping and the entire movie theater audibly gasped out loud in the theater back in '97.

Why we still need movie theaters. When you see this in the theater its amazing, between the immersion and audience reaction.