Home Theater Receiver

My Pioneer VSX-919ah (~12 years old) died last night.  For the last few days, while binging some TV shows, the tuner would (seemingly) randomly shut off.  I'd fan some air over the vent grate to cool it down, turn it back on and it would run for a few hours and shut off again.  Last light, it shut off for good.

So, I need a new multi-zone receiver.  I looked at receivers available at Best Buy and amazon.com and see that receivers today have new tech in them (Dolby Atmos, DTS, 4K/8K and/or 3D video handling, etc.).

I've got a basic set up here for Dolby 5.1 surround sound (5 speakers + subwoofer) in the TV room (Zone 1) and some basic (left + right) speakers in other rooms (Zone 2).  I also have an older (basic 1040p HD) TV set that is working fine for us so I might some day upgrade to 4K or whatever, but it's not a priority right now.. 

I see receivers now offering 7.2, 9.2 etc. surround sound.  I don't have or need that many speakers.  Do receivers built for 7.2, 9.2 etc. also power 5.1 set-ups?  Or does it not work that way (ie. each spec is dedicated and I need to find a receiver that specifies 5.1 capability)?

Any recommendations on Brands for quality/reliability?  I want to get something that will last 20 years or so.

Also, any recommendations for extracting some value from my dead receiver?  Do folks buy things like this on eBay for parts or is it ancient tech that no one wants?

The 9.2 receiver will just have more speaker jacks on the back. You can just hook up your 5.1 and you tell the receiver at setup what you have connected.  Your current receiver might even be a 7.1.  Often the zone2 steals from the 7-9 speakers at least on budget ones.

I not an expert or too particular.  I had an Onkyo for years and now a basic Sony with 5.1.  My LG LCD has enough HDMI that I only use the receiver as an audio amp.  If you use video switching I would definitely get a 4K receiver but I assume all new ones are at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the responses.  From what I've learned today, 7.2 (and higher/more) will power 5.1 set ups just fine.

I saw Sony, Dennon and Yamaha models that were all pretty similar in features and price point around $600.  Sales guy at local Best Buy recommended the Dennon, but they didn't actually have any of them in stock.  I went by my local Fry's electronics and it was shocking how half the store was empty - like curtained off, no customers allowed, no merchandise empty.  They got rid of their entire Home Theater section. 

Thanks for the responses.  From what I've learned today, 7.2 (and higher/more) will power 5.1 set ups just fine.
I saw Sony, Dennon and Yamaha models that were all pretty similar in features and price point around $600.  Sales guy at local Best Buy recommended the Dennon, but they didn't actually have any of them in stock.  I went by my local Fry's electronics and it was shocking how half the store was empty - like curtained off, no customers allowed, no merchandise empty.  They got rid of their entire Home Theater section. 

Frys is dying. Slowly. They’ve been short on inventory for 7 or 8 years now. I think they’ve been able to survive on selling surplus stock, outdated models, refurbished stuff, etc. I remember looking at a laptop in there 4-5 years ago that was introduced 2 years prior. It’s been an outlet for manufacturers.

Denon is nice. Yamaha is good too. I’d have no problem with any of those 3 really for your application.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have bought any number of factory refurb things and never had a problem.

The key there is FACTORY.  It means something may have been opened or returned for any number of miscellaneous reasons, including cosmetics.  It is brought up to new standard.  And I think the products actually get a more thorough going-over than "new."

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The guts are crap until the 1k msrp threshold. 

Ignoring for the moment that you get what you pay for, do you think this applies to 2-channel stuff?  Seems like there are any number of solid receivers in stereo for significantly under $1000.

This Marantz looks like it does the things that I want.  https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1200/marantz-nr1200-2-x-75-watts-a/v-stereo-receiver-w/hdmi/1.html  

I'm sure the higher end Yammies are good too, but mucho grande and have some features and feature combinations that are less appealing to me.

8 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ignoring for the moment that you get what you pay for, do you think this applies to 2-channel stuff?  Seems like there are any number of solid receivers in stereo for significantly under $1000.

This Marantz looks like it does the things that I want.  https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marnr1200/marantz-nr1200-2-x-75-watts-a/v-stereo-receiver-w/hdmi/1.html  

I'm sure the higher end Yammies are good too, but mucho grande and have some features and feature combinations that are less appealing to me.

I downsized my constantly-changing hifi stereo rig to a simple integrated amp a few years back.  I went through a Marantz and a Yamaha, both in that $800-$1K range.  Both were fantastic.  The Marantz had a bit more of a liquid, old-school sound, and the Yamaha had a bit more clarity, but we are talking pretty small differences.

I still own the Yamaha.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I've purchased a half dozen refurbs from accessories4less and had precisely zero problems.

I've purchased refurbed Yamaha and Denon receivers from accessories4less as well, with no issues.

HDMI Control is the one thing that is a little bit flaky on both receivers (Turning all my devices on/ off and defaulting to the correct Video input at the same time- stereo receiver/ TV/ Sat receiver/ Roku, with one click from either the DirecTv or Roku remotes).

Denon seems to work better w/ an older Samsung TV, than the Yamaha w/ a newer Samsung TV.  Assume that every mfg implements their own version of the control standard, which causes problems.

1 hour ago, LosIllini said:

I've purchased refurbed Yamaha and Denon receivers from accessories4less as well, with no issues.

HDMI Control is the one thing that is a little bit flaky on both receivers (Turning all my devices on/ off and defaulting to the correct Video input at the same time- stereo receiver/ TV/ Sat receiver/ Roku, with one click from either the DirecTv or Roku remotes).

Denon seems to work better w/ an older Samsung TV, than the Yamaha w/ a newer Samsung TV.  Assume that every mfg implements their own version of the control standard, which causes problems.

You can USUALLY get around this by playing with HDMI control on/off settings on the devices.  Usually any flakiness is both device on a link thinking they're in charge of control (which should work but different version etc), and one of them gets confused.

10 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

You can USUALLY get around this by playing with HDMI control on/off settings on the devices.  Usually any flakiness is both device on a link thinking they're in charge of control (which should work but different version etc), and one of them gets confused.

I have it working fairly well now, but, have to occasionally renew/ reset devices.  The issue with the Yammie occurs when trying to use a single (DirecTv) remote to turn all the devices on-- there are some known issues with the DirecTv box startup timing and the signal to the Yamaha, so, sometimes only the TV and sat receiver turn on, but not the Yamaha.  The Yammie also sometimes defaults to an input that isn't being used vs. the device when it was turned off.  So, gotta go to the second remote.  Should just work, but, alot of people on AVSForum apparently have the same issues.

Denon/ DirecTv older Samsung tv, HDMI control/ on-off w/ single remote, however, has been solid.

I received the factory refurbished Denon and new Polk about a week ago.

The Denon arrived looking like brand new (no cosmetic dings) with all parts (remote, set up mic & stand).  It was missing some of the printed documentation that a new unit would have (quick set up guide, user guide/manual).  Wiring it up was straightforward, but configuring it wasn't.  I tried to figure out how to configure it using the remote - how to find the configuration options/set up menu - and failed.  I looked online and found the online doc on the Denon website.  It did a fine job of explaining various menu options that were available, but didn't actually explain how to access/open the menu.  It was (is) a confusing mess.

So then I unpacked the mic & stand that the unit uses to calibrate the sound field for the surround sound.  I assembled the stand, plugged in the mic and the receiver magically entered an idiot proof guided set-up wizard that configured everything important.  The back channel speakers are working better than they ever did with my old receiver.  The subwoofer is finally on point (not too loud or too muted).  The surround sound is more enjoyable than it's ever been.

The Polk speaker splitter that I ordered new from Amazon (3rd party via Amazon), arrived with an impingement on the front face directly over the "H" button such that the button was mashed in behind the impinged face plate.  I managed to wiggle the button free (it popped out), and it can be clicked in/out (on/off), but it doesn't extend out flush with the other buttons.  I contacted the seller and they offered to either replace the unit or to refund me 40% of the price if I kept it.  I hooked it up and tested it to ensure it was functional (it is - damage is purely cosmetic).  It's situated mostly out of sight, so I took the 40% refund.

So now I'm wondering what to do with my old receiver.  Is there a market for these things?  Should I donate it to one of those charities that fixes up old/damaged electronics?  Is there a proper way to have it recycled?

• 2 months later...

Have a Marantz SR-7008 that is starting to crap out on me. 6 months ago or so, I had to have the HDMI board replaced in it, and now, it is not sending a signal to my sub. Do I continue to get this thing fixed, or do I bite the bullet and get something new? It worked great for about 7 years before shit started breaking, and if I can fix it for a decent price, I prefer to do that, but I don't want to get into a situation where I'm having to have something fixed every few months. I'm gonna call my repair guy tomorrow and see if he has any idea the cost to repair it, but if I do decide to go the route of getting something new, what should I be getting? My projector is only HD, so I don't need 4K yet, but it would be nice to have if I ever do get a new projector, and I'm running a Klipsch 7.1 surround system, with an SVS-1000 powered sub.  

Thoughts/suggestions? Has anyone had this type of issue before and knows some way I might be able to fix it myself?