RRR - on the court: Texas vs. OU @ 6pm on ESPN2.

SDG

Let’s please not become the team that cries that they lost by refs. It was a shitty loss, but this team will bounce back for sure and I see a very deep NCAA tourney run! Just working out the kinks now. Team is legit, and will come together as the season goes. I can already see it!

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

you knew there was no way that Turner just came up with that in his own in the spur of the moment. i was shocked when i saw the kid standing there ready to throw it, but then i had to figure that this must be what we would have done if Shaka was coaching under the same circumstances.

Edited by shadow_operative

Considering the circumstances with the lack of a full squad to practice my main issue was playing Febres over Donovan Williams for a good bit of the 2nd half. Once it became clear that Febres wasn't feeling it Williams should've been in. He was cooking in the first half even though the team was sporadic overall.

1 hour ago, hundredTT said:

Let’s please not become the team that cries that they lost by refs. It was a shitty loss, but this team will bounce back for sure and I see a very deep NCAA tourney run! Just working out the kinks now. Team is legit, and will come together as the season goes. I can already see it!

Every fan ever thinks the refs fuck their team.  Fighting that on a home team board is stupid unless you’re a glutton for punishment.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

Get the fuck out of here. We’re all dumber and bigger pussies for having read this BS

I don' know man.  If a post written in the heat of a screw job being handed down by a terrible group of refs can do that to you, you might have a bigger problem than a handful of words on a message board. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The inexplicable uncalled jump ball on a tie-up for what seemed like 10 seconds only for the ball to finally squirt out to a wide open OU player under the basket was the biggest bullshit non-call of the game.  

This must have been when they decided to let the players hockey check each other for a bit, then went back to a foul on Texas for breathing on OU.  The first 5 min of the second half was just them calling a foul for playing basketball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The inexplicable uncalled jump ball on a tie-up for what seemed like 10 seconds only for the ball to finally squirt out to a wide open OU player under the basket was the biggest bullshit non-call of the game.  

My favorite was late in the game, Reaves starts to drive from beyond the 3point line, we breath on him and the refs blow their whistle.... meanwhile everyone stops and Reaves just playfully drives to the hoop and scores. 

Basket counts. 

Whatttt? 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The more that comes out, the more I’m shocked we played. And that we lost by 1

So the ISU and TCU games were because of us and not the other team or both?  If we already caused two postponed games then yeah, I guess we should get back to playing as soon as capable.  I've been thinking 2 teams bailed on us so we should have done the same to ou.

1 minute ago, PantsTent said:

So the ISU and TCU games were because of us and not the other team or both?  If we already caused two postponed games then yeah, I guess we should get back to playing as soon as capable.  I've been thinking 2 teams bailed on us so we should have done the same to ou.

Neither was on our end.  Both were due to those programs pausing for COVID protocols.  You can always tell because the COVID-postponing program will postpone multiple games.  In both instances, they postponed their games, not us. 

listen, the refs sucked dick at a monumental level last night, but we cannot blame them for the loss. you blame the refs when you did everything you could to win and they just straight up jobbed you. last night was not that. we had countless terrible, inexcusable offensive possessions, particularly whenever we got the lead down to 4 or 5. prior to the final minute of the game (when Coleman was back in and getting the ball to the rim), every time we'd go on a 5-0 or 6-0 run to get close we'd have Jase Febres shooting an off-balance, pull-up three point shot that invariably missed, taking all of four seconds for the entire possession. one time when this happened Kai got he rebound and kicked it back out to Hepa who immediately bricked a three point attempt without blinking. every time we got close we got all antsy in our pantsy, and we would have won the game without that.

i've been harping on this aspect of our game all year, telling anyone who would listen that the litany of empty, plain old fucking stupid and mindless possessions that we have each game could be the difference in finishing 1st or finishing 5th in the conference, and now i've just watched our team lose two conference home games in a row, both of which we should have and could have won. meanwhile all of our fans are bitching about the refs like we deserved to win and they jobbed us- that isn't what happened.

this is something i learned from my dad; he never explicitly said this to me, but it's something i picked up on a long time ago, watching the way he observed and judged our teams. when you have a young, inexperienced, maybe undermanned, or thin team, a team outside the top 25 that's simply trying to make the tournament, *then* you start focusing more on the external factors that may have fucked you over. but when you have a legit great team, a legit top 10 team, a team that should make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond, that's when you put blinders on to everything going on around you, and you hold the team (players, coaches, trainers, walk-ons- the entire team) accountable for every result. "what could we have done better that would have resulted in a win?" that's how you approach each loss.

the refs were fucking garbage, and they absolutely seemed to be calling the game in OU's favor, but so fucking what? what does anyone gain by just blaming everything on them? guys: these. things. happen. there are going to be shitty refs in the NCAA tourney, and we may find ourselves short handed for a number of reasons. these. things. happen. this is exactly why, when you have a talented and experienced and totally legit team like ours, you look at yourself 100 times before you look at anyone else when you ask, "why did we lose? what could have gone differently so that we could have won the game?"

this league is tough; our conference tourney is tough; winning six straight games in March and April is tough, and you can bet your ass that over the course of these competitions that you will inevitably run into a close game with shitty officiating and everything going against you. so what do you do? the answer is you own it and take control of the game anyway. you do not worry about how shitty the refs are, or how short handed your team is, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. every single possession matters. 

go back and rewatch the second half from last night. go see how many completely fucking stupid and wasted possessions we had. go look at our shot selection throughout the second half. we shot 6-25 from deep and yet every time we got close we just. kept. firing. we had countless opportunities to go on on long, unanswered scoring runs, to get back in the game and take the lead, to force OU to waste timeouts, and to just take control of the game on our own and we blew it. time after time after time we blew it with indefensibly poor offensive decision making and execution. that lies 100% on our team- coaches and players both. fuck the refs. WE lost that game.

this is the only way that i know how to view a great team like this one. fuck blaming anyone else for a loss when we had the opportunity to prevent it. we should have put Tech away in our last home loss but we didn't because of our lazy, stupid offensive possessions. we should have come back and beat OU last night despite everything going against us, but we didn't, and it was not because of the officials, it was because of poor, lazy, plain old stupid offensive play, time and time again.

this team is way too good to be making excuses for them, even under last night's circumstances. it's a mentality that a championship team has to have. fuck the excuses, we are too good to be losing home games to inferior teams when we know we could have and should have played better. fuck covid, fuck the refs, fuck the super short week with only one eight man practice; all of those things went against us, and yet we still should have won, but we didn't. that's our fault. no one else's. and i can tell you right now that this team will either learn from these last two inexcusable home losses and grow from it, learning the value the ball and each possession that we have, becoming a mentally tougher team and an incredibly tough out in the postseason, OR, we will continue to not value the ball/our offensive possessions and we will lose more heartbreaking close games to good teams at important times. either way it comes down to our team, and what they decide- nobody else. this team is too good for lazy play and lazy excuses. it's on us.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

listen, the refs sucked dick at a monumental level last night, but we cannot blame them for the loss. you blame the refs when you did everything you could to win and they just straight up jobbed you. last night was not that. we had countless terrible, inexcusable offensive possessions, particularly whenever we got the lead down to 4 or 5. prior to the final minute of the game (when Coleman was back in and getting the ball to the rim), every time we'd go on a 5-0 or 6-0 run to get close we'd have Jase Febres shooting an off-balance, pull-up three point shot that invariably missed, taking all of four seconds for the entire possession. one time when this happened Kai got he rebound and kicked it back out to Hepa who immediately bricked a three point attempt without blinking. every time we got close we got all antsy in our pantsy, and we would have won the game without that.

i've been harping on this aspect of our game all year, telling anyone who would listen that the litany of empty, plain old fucking stupid and mindless possessions that we have each game could be the difference in finishing 1st or finishing 5th in the conference, and now i've just watched our team lose two conference home games in a row, both of which we should have and could have won. meanwhile all of our fans are bitching about the refs like we deserved to win and they jobbed us- that isn't what happened.

this is something i learned from my dad; he never explicitly said this to me, but it's something i picked up on a long time ago, watching the way he observed and judged our teams. when you have a young, inexperienced, maybe undermanned, or thin team, a team outside the top 25 that's simply trying to make the tournament, *then* you start focusing more on the external factors that may have fucked you over. but when you have a legit great team, a legit top 10 team, a team that should make it to the Sweet 16 and beyond, that's when you put blinders on to everything going on around you, and you hold the team (players, coaches, trainers, walk-ons- the entire team) accountable for every result. "what could we have done better that would have resulted in a win?" that's how you approach each loss.

the refs were fucking garbage, and they absolutely seemed to be calling the game in OU's favor, but so fucking what? what does anyone gain by just blaming everything on them? guys: these. things. happen. there are going to be shitty refs in the NCAA tourney, and we may find ourselves short handed for a number of reasons. these. things. happen. this is exactly why, when you have a talented and experienced and totally legit team like ours, you look at yourself 100 times before you look at anyone else when you ask, "why did we lose? what could have gone differently so that we could have won the game?"

this league is tough; our conference tourney is tough; winning six straight games in March and April is tough, and you can bet your ass that over the course of these competitions that you will inevitably run into a close game with shitty officiating and everything going against you. so what do you do? the answer is you own it and take control of the game anyway. you do not worry about how shitty the refs are, or how short handed your team is, YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. every single possession matters. 

go back and rewatch the second half from last night. go see how many completely fucking stupid and wasted possessions we had. go look at our shot selection throughout the second half. we shot 6-25 from deep and yet every time we got close we just. kept. firing. we had countless opportunities to go on on long, unanswered scoring runs, to get back in the game and take the lead, to force OU to waste timeouts, and to just take control of the game on our own and we blew it. time after time after time we blew it with indefensibly poor offensive decision making and execution. that lies 100% on our team- coaches and players both. fuck the refs. WE lost that game.

this is the only way that i know how to view a great team like this one. fuck blaming anyone else for a loss when we had the opportunity to prevent it. we should have put Tech away in our last home loss but we didn't because of our lazy, stupid offensive possessions. we should have come back and beat OU last night despite everything going against us, but we didn't, and it was not because of the officials, it was because of poor, lazy, plain old stupid offensive play, time and time again.

this team is way too good to be making excuses for them, even under last night's circumstances. it's a mentality that a championship team has to have. fuck the excuses, we are too good to be losing home games to inferior teams when we know we could have and should have played better. fuck covid, fuck the refs, fuck the super short week with only one eight man practice; all of those things went against us, and yet we still should have won, but we didn't. that's our fault. no one else's. and i can tell you right now that this team will either learn from these last two inexcusable home losses and grow from it, learning the value the ball and each possession that we have, becoming a mentally tougher team and an incredibly tough out in the postseason, OR, we will continue to not value the ball/our offensive possessions and we will lose more heartbreaking close games to good teams at important times. either way it comes down to our team, and what they decide- nobody else. this team is too good for lazy play and lazy excuses. it's on us.

tl:dr - Refs sucked but that wasn't the reason we lost. We lost because we have too many stupid offensive possessions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

tl:dr - Refs sucked but that wasn't the reason we lost. We lost because we have too many stupid offensive possessions. 

that, and, that this team should hold itself to the highest standard possible, and that we as fans should do the same. when you have a truly great team you don't make excuses, you look to yourself for what you could have done better to change the outcome, no matter the circumstances. this team has a championship roster; it needs a championship mentality as well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So how do you evaluate a team that hasn't practiced 5 on 5 in 2 weeks?

there isn't any way i can answer this without repeating myself. not practicing in two weeks has nothing to do with our shot selection/habitual aimless possessions. those warts have been staples under Shaka since year two, and this year has been no exception. covid has nothing to do with it. we win the game if we don't completely waste 10+ possessions. 

i saw the standard amount of aimless, stupid possessions that i've been seeing for years. like i said, the very first time we got it to within four points we had Jase Febres shoot an off balance pull-up three about two seconds after he crossed half court. if that isn't the last five years of Shaka Smart offense wrapped up in one play then i don't know what is. nothing about our play last night was particularly unusual. our lineup was thin, but the play was the same as it's always been. 

from a post i made after the WVU game:

...and then we insisted on taking a ton of pull-up threes that were clanking out all day, and i just felt like we were going to lose this game in that old familiar fashion under Shaka- play stupid, keep it close, rally late, lose a game you totally could have won. but that didn't happen!

thats what happened last night against OU- we had way too many shitty offensive possessions, we kept it close, we rallied late, and we lost a game we could have won. it was the exact same shit as it's always been under Shaka, probably in no small part because we were missing some of the talent and depth that this current team enjoys which none of his previous teams did. 

when we go 6-25 from deep but just keep shooting, when we waste a dozen offensive possessions in one game, when we play extra stupid every time we get the score close, and when we lose a close game that we absolutely could have/should have won without these ubiquitous brain farts and wasted possessions, that's on us. it's not covid, it's not the officials, and it's not luck or happenstance- it's Shaka Smart Texas basketball to a "T", and it's what we saw against OU. seriously guys- fuck these excuses. this team does not need them. 

Agreed on the stupid 3pt shots late when we got close. I bet we had at least four of those shots where we could've slowed it down and gotten at least 2-4 points from those possessions instead of zero. The only thing that kept it close after that was that OU went down the court and did exactly the same thing a few times.