Hostage Situation - 1900 Block of West 35th Street (Jackson Ave.) Near Mopac

atomheartbevo

I am so sorry for this poor family.  Sounds like many of you knew her and that she was a fantastic person, what a devastating blow to so many kids now as well.  

I hate to follow a story like this but I think there's gonna be a lot unpack here both with the hostage-taker and APD.  I have an eerie feeling this is gonna be one of those cases that haunts Austin for a long while.  Hope I'm wrong, hope there's a speckle of closure for those who need it.  

Shit. One of her kids are in my son’s class at Casis. 
My son has been to her kid’s birthday party before. Holy shit. 
Fuck. 

edit  

Now finding out one of our neighbors who’s son is one of my sons good buddies were at the office when it down. 

Fuck this hits really close to home

so sad. 

Edited by BrazilHorn

McConnell was our Doc there when our daughter was born in '10. I believe we saw Dodson a handful of times when McConnell wasn't available as she went on maternity leave shortly after we had our daughter. Crazy stuff. RIP.

Upon further review with the wife it was Dr. Bell that we saw not Dodson.

Edited by smuggs

This truly sucks.  I have no connection to the deceased doctor, but like many observing these situations from the outside I long for understanding as to why someone would take another life.  "Understanding" is a loose term, because there rarely is any true understanding.  But you long for a backstory that has some connection between the killer and the deceased, because a random murder can seem that much more baffling.

Supposedly killer had terminal cancer. 
He came in last week asking if he could “volunteer”. Was turned down. 
Came back yesterday and all this fucking terrible shit transpired. 

Sounds like a bad tv show premise. Fuck this guy. She and her family lived a couple blocks over from mine. Walk dog by her place everyday. Have so many friends and neighbors that were super tight with her. 

I’m at edge of this and I feel terrible for her family. Like I mentioned above, her oldest child is in my son’s class. I can only imagine how people that were truly close to her feel. I’m very angry and there is nothing to do with it. 

Fucking hell. 

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Yeah, this is what my wife is hearing through her chatterbox. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

Sounds like a bad tv show premise. Fuck this guy. She and her family lived a couple blocks over from mine. Walk dog by her place everyday. Have so many friends and neighbors that were super tight with her. 

I’m at edge of this and I feel terrible for her family. Like I mentioned above, her oldest child is in my son’s class. I can only imagine how people that were truly close to her feel. I’m very angry and there is nothing to do with it. 

Fucking hell. 

Yeah, this is what I’ve heard too. Both my kids are in school with hers at Casis. Wife was friends with her. Hang with them at Westwood pool a lot. My wife is really struggling today. Also nobody really slept last night. Fucked up. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit

For years, Dr. Lindley Dodson eased the anxieties of new parents and coaxed small children for routine medical procedures like shots, and more recently, COVID-19 tests.

The 44-year-old pediatrician operated a thriving Central Austin practice with several other doctors, while keeping a constant presence at school activities and other functions for her three young children.

Pediatrician Lindley Dodson was killed during a hostage standoff at her Central Austin office late Tuesday.

Austin police on Wednesday identified Dodson as one of two people found dead at her office after being taken hostage by another pediatrician, Dr.  Bharat Narumanchi.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news/local/2021/01/27/lindley-dodson-austin-hostage-pediatrician/4275395001/?utm_source=SND&utm_medium=Twitter&utm_campaign=statesman

The brain cancer made have made the guy mentally unstable (which brain tumors pressing on the wrong spot are known to do) or he could just be unstable anyway.

Absolutely tragic. Being a physician and healthcare worker is actually associated with a significantly increased risk of being a victim of violence.

2 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

The brain cancer made have made the guy mentally unstable (which brain tumors pressing on the wrong spot are known to do) or he could just be unstable anyway.

Absolutely tragic. Being a physician and healthcare worker is actually associated with a significantly increased risk of being a victim of violence.

that's interesting.  so it could be a cause of the murder in a very literal sense.

Awful. Situations like this are so difficult to handle. I'd like to think APD did everything they could. I'm sure the officers involved are losing just as much sleep over this as anyone. 

I'm not interested in starting a political pro/anti cops debate - just trying to be positive. The hostage taker was clearly committed to taking her life and his own - the blame falls on his hands first and foremost before critiquing what should or shouldn't have been done to resolve it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Awful. Situations like this are so difficult to handle. I'd like to think APD did everything they could. I'm sure the officers involved are losing just as much sleep over this as anyone. 

I'm not interested in starting a political pro/anti cops debate - just trying to be positive. The hostage taker was clearly committed to taking her life and his own - the blame falls on his hands first and foremost before critiquing what should or shouldn't have been done to resolve it. 

Same here.  I'm no APD cheerleader by any means.  But without having more information, I don't know how you pin this on the police. 

Unless someone has a clear shot at the hostage taker with no hostage in harm's way, what's the clearest strategy?  You try to wait it out, negotiating or appealing to the hostage taker's better nature, and then he just takes a life on his own timeline.  Or you make the call to enter the office and in panic or desperation he takes a life before the police can even get through the door.   

When you're dealing a person deranged enough to hole up in a building with a gun to someone's head, I'm not sure of the clearest strategy to a certain outcome.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, wreckatx said:

Agreed. If the cops had busted in immediately and the outcome were the same, people would be criticizing them for moving too fast. This was a tragedy plain and simple. The police are not to blame.

exactly, this is a no win situation if the guy you are dealing with is hellbent on killing others and himself. all the ire(not that it will help) should be at the killer and all the support should be for the kids whose mom didn't come home from work.

• Like 2

1. No doubt the police did all they could with the best info that thought they had. I do question their judgement and leadership. But point is well taken. 
2. I believe family was notified before the presser, but friends definitely were not. The staging of that thing was a blunder. 
3. Just got an email from the Casis principal and wife broke down again. It was a good email.  
4.  This is still fucked up. All the moms are just driving around to each other’s houses. It’s a fucked up day. 
5. @Futureman should go fuck up another thread. 

Edited by Gucci_Suit
Futuretroll

4 minutes ago, Gucci_Suit said:

1. No doubt the police did all they could with the best info that thought they had. I do question their judgement and leadership. But point is well taken. 
2. I believe family was notified before the presser, but friends definitely were not. The staging of that thing was a blunder. 
3. Just got an email from the Casis principal and wife broke down again. It was a good email.  
4.  This is still fucked up. All the moms are just driving around to each other’s houses. It’s a fucked up day. 

I agree re: point 3. Tinnon did a nice job.

Having to spend lunch hour talking through this senselessness with my 8th grader. He cannot wrap his head around it at all (nor can I)

My 5th grader who is in class with Dr. Dodson's oldest daughter comes home in a bit, really curious how he is doing and how class went. Just so stupid and fucked up.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Reading all of this really made me sad. That is fucking painful to read. Didn't know her like the others here but sounds like she was quite a person. RIP.

A lot of us probably crossed paths with her at Dell Childlren's

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/everything-we-know-about-dr-lindley-dodson/

Before coming to work in Austin, she was a Harvard Medical School instructor and was an urgent care doctor at Children’s Hospital Boston following her residency in Nashville. For 10 years, she worked at Dell Children’s Hospital in Austin and was named the hospital’s top pediatric doctor in 2012 and 2017. 

She was named a “Rising Star” by the Texas Super Doctors for three consecutive years, 2017-2019.

59 minutes ago, Kermit said:

My only potential issue with the police would be if they announced the deaths live on television without first telling the family. 

Who were the family members standing there listening to the police spokesman? What were their names and relation?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

Don't know if he was unstable outside of the cancer/tumor - at one point during the negotiations, they were talking to him about his work with terminally ill newborns.  That seems like it would take a really stable person to handle.

Isn’t it entirely possible that there was nothing to be done to save the hostages life? Perhaps victim was shot and killed very early on?
Do you not know where you are posting? Cops do the wrong thing every single time no matter the outcome. 

3 hours ago, Newdoc said:

The brain cancer made have made the guy mentally unstable (which brain tumors pressing on the wrong spot are known to do)

Shades of Charles Whitman and the UT Tower shooting.

What a horrible story.  My best to all of you and your kids who knew Dr. Dodson -- sounds like she was a superstar.

So terrible...I wasn't familiar with the victim but this is still pissing me off. This wasn't a quick in-the-heat-of-the-moment murder...he had hours to cool down and gain some sense before realizing not to hurt her. And he still decided to do it and then take his own life of course. What a coward...screw him. I don't care about whatever his situation was, his mental health, whatever side effects of his cancer was. People have cancer. People have crappy things that happen to them in life. They still don't go and pull some BS like this. 

1 hour ago, Juke_Em said:

So terrible...I wasn't familiar with the victim but this is still pissing me off. This wasn't a quick in-the-heat-of-the-moment murder...he had hours to cool down and gain some sense before realizing not to hurt her. And he still decided to do it and then take his own life of course. What a coward...screw him. I don't care about whatever his situation was, his mental health, whatever side effects of his cancer was. People have cancer. People have crappy things that happen to them in life. They still don't go and pull some BS like this. 

I’d be very surprised if it turns out she was being held hostage very long. I think he killed her early on & probably even killed himself hours before the police broke in.