The Little Things - Washington, Malek, Leto

GreenspointTexas

Its about what I expected. 

the good

- Leto was fucking awesome. Like borderline oscar awesome

- the ending was different, and therefore, somewhat refreshing from other movies of this genre

the bad

- plodding pace

- malek, while solid, seemed almost a little too wooden

- denzels twist was meh

overall, solid for an hbo max/jlh movie. Prolly wont ever watch again tho. Kinda reminded me of Prisoners meets   Seven.

It was OK. Not bad, per se, but when the first recommended movie below it when you select this one is Seven, and the trailer gives you a Morgan Freeman-Brad Pitt vibe, you go in with high hopes.

Rami Malek is always going to be Freddie Mercury after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, so it's hard to get into his character. He needs dental work or something or else he won't be able to break away from that role.

• Hook 'Em 1

It was OK.  Malek was miscast.  That needed to be someone like Efron or Teller or Kaluuya in that role.  Someone I can buy wearing an expensive suit and living in the burbs.  Malek is Freddie Mercury (as noted above) or more accurately, Mr. Robot.  He's counterculture.  He probably thought this went against type, but it was a miss.  

Leto had a hint of a Michigan accent, if you picked up the little things, and they talked about him going to Detroit.

Not thrilled with the ending, but it's unique, so whatever.  Will give it that.  Won't watch again

It had all the pieces to being good but It felt long.

I will say movies like this, that are placed in a time where there are no personal computers or cell phones, makes you realize just how much we use them in our lives. I also agree that it would have made a good True Detective, but then it would have really dragged out.

Edited by Brandywine

12 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

Just finished watching I'm thinking better than average entertainment.  I'd watch again at some point to see if I missed anything.

I’m going to watch it again because I do think there are more subtle clues thatI missed. Like the car that the suspect was driving. 

11 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Too many whiskey franks towards the end. No ducking clue.

I was talking to my friends last night who really didn't like the movie similar to the reviews we are reading online and in this thread. Apparently I thought the plot of the movie was significantly different than the actual plot and my version they agreed would be pretty rad. I guess it is a state of mind type of thing. 

Spoiler

I thought Denzel was manipulating Remi Maleks character to kill jared leto. Like intentionally fucking with him. 

5 hours ago, immamac said:

I was talking to my friends last night who really didn't like the movie similar to the reviews we are reading online and in this thread. Apparently I thought the plot of the movie was significantly different than the actual plot and my version they agreed would be pretty rad. I guess it is a state of mind type of thing. 

Hide contents

I thought Denzel was manipulating Remi Maleks character to kill jared leto. Like intentionally fucking with him. 

Yeah your version would have been better. I did not get that vibe. 

I thought the end was the end.  

Spoiler

He accidentally shot the girl, sent the hairband to him at the end from the pack to prove it.  My friends was like Denzel was the killer all along and framed the crazy crime interested Letto character all along. My friend asked why burn all his stuff?  I said to make it look like he moved out of nowhere?  So Deke is the killer he thinks?  Idk   May have to watch again to look at everything.

Edited by Hook1997

21 hours ago, Hook1997 said:
I thought the end was the end.  

Spoiler

He accidentally shot the girl, sent the hairband to him at the end from the pack to prove it.  My friends was like Denzel was the killer all along and framed the crazy crime interested Letto character all along. My friend asked why burn all his stuff?  I said to make it look like he moved out of nowhere?  So Deke is the killer he thinks?  Idk   May have to watch again to look at everything.

Spoilers below...

Spoiler

Deke (Denzel) accidentally shot the girl ~5 years prior while investigating the murder scene of the other 2 girls. The coverup and fallout from that resulted in his heart attack, divorce, and moving up north.

Deke bought the barrette and sent it to Baxter (Malek) to provide him some closure or vindication, likely hoping to spare Baxter and his family from similar turmoil. Deke performed the cleanup and burned all evidence for the same reason.

Deke was not the killer. Sparma (Leto) was likely the killer but we never get confirmation of that, which I think is meant to invoke in the audience the same doubt that Baxter will hold the rest of his life.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2