The Little Things - Washington, Malek, Leto

GreenspointTexas

Knowing I'd see Maleek in something was driving me crazy.  I hadn't seen Bohemian Rhapsody, so that wasn't it.  Finally realized he was Snafu in The Pacific.

I liked the movie FWIW.  

SPOILER BELOW 

Spoiler

I got really worried that Maleek was digging 3 holes at the end ... for his wife and daughters.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Semi spoiler question

Hide contents

Was the older Deacon case linked to the current case?  In my mind I was assuming he was chasing down the killer that he couldn't catch before, but then the twist of him accidently killing someone is what ruined his career not an unsolved case.

IIRC they both had bags over their heads and were positioned; so yes.

Which is why

Spoiler

I didn't read Leto as being the killer.  There would have to be some connection between that murder and the one in the film, and nothing even touched on it (IIRC). That along with Deke and the red beret, and Leto being a guy that liked fucking with the police (false confession).

I liked the first 3/4 of the movie, but it should have been cut about 20/30 minutes - the end dragged.  I thought all actors were great. Maleek was creepy, Leto was creepy but funny, and Denzel did Denzel, Everyman that happens to be smartest guy in the room.

Swing and a connection, but slight foul ball.  I'll take it for the entertainment value.

man, i really liked it.  it wasn't the greatest movie in the world but i was thoroughly entertained all the way through and was invested in the story the whole way through.  leto was fucking awesome.  also thought it was very well made.  definitely saw some se7en similarities (it wasn't as good as se7en, not saying that).

i'll definitely watch again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

man, i really liked it.  it wasn't the greatest movie in the world but i was thoroughly entertained all the way through and was invested in the story the whole way through.  leto was fucking awesome.  also thought it was very well made.  definitely saw some se7en similarities (it wasn't as good as se7en, not saying that).

i'll definitely watch again.

Agreed. Wife and I saw it in the theater Sunday night, and we both enjoyed it. Is it Best Picture, no, but it was the best movie I've seen in a while. I do agree with the Malek mis-casting, but Denzel and Leto were great. It was enjoyable crime-suspense movie. As a Philistine, I would have liked a tidier ending but that would have distracted from the point I suppose.

Spoiler

What is the significance of the appliance sign? I thought one was "AAA" and one was "ABC?" Going to re-watch on HBOMax.

I'm parked on the Leto innocent - guy in the opening scene did not have long hair / beard - despite the "little things" that point to him: milk, roast beef, Busch.

23 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

Spoilers below...

Hide contents

Deke (Denzel) accidentally shot the girl ~5 years prior while investigating the murder scene of the other 2 girls. The coverup and fallout from that resulted in his heart attack, divorce, and moving up north.

Deke bought the barrette and sent it to Baxter (Malek) to provide him some closure or vindication, likely hoping to spare Baxter and his family from similar turmoil. Deke performed the cleanup and burned all evidence for the same reason.

Deke was not the killer. Sparma (Leto) was likely the killer but we never get confirmation of that, which I think is meant to invoke in the audience the same doubt that Baxter will hold the rest of his life.

this was how i understood it. didn’t seem that confusing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I also thought Leto was innocent. And need to watch again because I missed the connection with the fancy boots. 

Yeah I got that the boots were the evidence that he was sent there to pick up. But I don't get why Denzel wore them to the apartment and left them in the hotel. 

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this was how i understood it. didn’t seem that confusing. 

Wasn't confusing at all - just a shitty ending to a mediocre movie.  

Could have been so much better:

Spoiler

Everything else can stay the same until end. When Rami gets the envelope from Denzel it has red barrette in it with "No Angels" note and also a highway number and mile marker.

Then last scene instead of Denzel burning the barrette package now instead he throws his uniform and badge into the fire barrel and then firebombs the Bronco, and hops into another car and drives off, camera zooms in as he flashes back to the scene of the multi victim murder from 5 years ago. Denzel is in plain clothes in leaving the scene he just finished staging with 3 bodies. 3rd victim suddenly comes to and grabs the bag off of her head with Denzel out of sight. Flash over to opening scene and Denzel can be seen shining his flashlight into gas station. Flash over to Denzel seeing the girl from gas station in the police station and they lock eyes. Flash over to Denzel later that day finding her address in the case file and then that night pulling up in front of her house, putting on gloves and getting out of the car.

Back to present, cops bust into motel room where Denzel was staying and start searching, flash over to highway and mile marker from Denzels note to Rami. Show rami looking distraught AF. Back to Denzels motel room, detective finds Arby's receipt with 2 roast beef sandwiches shown, back to Rami, transitions to aerial shot of cops and dog and you can see two naked dead bodies (presumably jogger and the gas station girl). Back to Denzel driving, he cracks a **** eating grin and some bad ass song comes on. Roll to credits.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

Yeah I got that the boots were the evidence that he was sent there to pick up. But I don't get why Denzel wore them to the apartment and left them in the hotel. 

i think he left all his shit in the hotel (just like the person did before him) because he was finally ready to move on.

or maybe he just had a busy night/morning and didn't have time to run back because la traffic is the worst.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think he left all his shit in the hotel (just like the person did before him) because he was finally ready to move on.

or maybe he just had a busy night/morning and didn't have time to run back because la traffic is the worst.

But why even mention the boots multiple times, and then have him wear them to the cleanup. 

The boots were the one thing that made me not like the movie, it was like they wanted them to mean something (along with being a member of the church) but then they didnt matter at all.

1 minute ago, Juicy said:

But why even mention the boots multiple times, and then have him wear them to the cleanup. 

The boots were the one thing that made me not like the movie, it was like they wanted them to mean something (along with being a member of the church) but then they didnt matter at all.

yeah, honestly i didn't even realize he wore them to the apt.  i also seemed to miss every time he switched cars (or initially from his truck to the rental car or whatever).  as the movie wore on, all the "little things" seemed less and less important to me.

this was one of those movies that seemed to be based on a book (is it?) that was very intricate and involved, and probably would've made an outstanding limited series, but cannot be told in 125 min.

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this was one of those movies that seemed to be based on a book (is it?) that was very intricate and involved, and probably would've made an outstanding limited series, but cannot be told in 125 min.

100% agree with this

On 2/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, wild_turkey said:

Spoilers below...

Hide contents

Deke (Denzel) accidentally shot the girl ~5 years prior while investigating the murder scene of the other 2 girls. The coverup and fallout from that resulted in his heart attack, divorce, and moving up north.

Deke bought the barrette and sent it to Baxter (Malek) to provide him some closure or vindication, likely hoping to spare Baxter and his family from similar turmoil. Deke performed the cleanup and burned all evidence for the same reason.

Deke was not the killer. Sparma (Leto) was likely the killer but we never get confirmation of that, which I think is meant to invoke in the audience the same doubt that Baxter will hold the rest of his life.

This is what I took from it. 

I think he wore the boots to avoid a footprint from his own shoes...a little thing that could get you caught.

The biggest detail that showed Leto was innocent was that he never owned the car we saw the killer driving.

Also, he was a circumstantial suspect just by working at the repair shop where the landlord made and cancelled an appointment. It’s doubtful he would’ve even seen the appointment if it was cancelled before getting scheduled.

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

I think he wore the boots to avoid a footprint from his own shoes...a little thing that could get you caught.

The biggest detail that showed Leto was innocent was that he never owned the car we saw the killer driving.

Also, he was a circumstantial suspect just by working at the repair shop where the landlord made and cancelled an appointment. It’s doubtful he would’ve even seen the appointment if it was cancelled before getting scheduled.

He didn't even work at the right repair place. 

Perhaps Leto wasn’t the killer, but he’s a textbook example of play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Maybe not a great idea to tell a cop you know where a missing girl can be found, then have that cop go out into the boonies with you in the middle of the night, then ask that cop to start digging holes while you taunt him about his children. All the while, impeding an investigation into actual murders and an actual missing girl.

If there are people in real life that pull that shit, they deserve whatever comes their way. It’s basically suicide by cop. Everyone loses.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/30/2021 at 12:38 AM, Horny04 said:

It was OK. Not bad, per se, but when the first recommended movie below it when you select this one is Seven, and the trailer gives you a Morgan Freeman-Brad Pitt vibe, you go in with high hopes.

Rami Malek is always going to be Freddie Mercury after seeing Bohemian Rhapsody, so it's hard to get into his character. He needs dental work or something or else he won't be able to break away from that role.

Early on they are having a beer and asking where each other are from.  Malek's character just says "the Valley".  I turned to my wife and said ," where? the valley of weirdos?"

Overall pretty boring; Malek's character was terrible and distracting.  Especially at the end....

Spoiler

Why was he such a whimpering baby after he shovel killed the guy?  "what do I do? what do I say?" while curled up like a baby.  And then they end with a hug and a kiss, WTF?  

To further criticize how unbelievable he was, the weak ass collar grabs he tries to scare people with.  I think he grabbed the finger print guy and Leto.  Neither little collar shake was even close to believable.  Most anyone could crumple that little cream puff with one hand.

Also, that forensics lady is fucked up for carrying that slug on her keychain.  

48 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Early on they are having a beer and asking where each other are from.  Malek's character just says "the Valley".  I turned to my wife and said ," where? the valley of weirdos?"

Overall pretty boring; Malek's character was terrible and distracting.  Especially at the end....

Hide contents

Why was he such a whimpering baby after he shovel killed the guy?  "what do I do? what do I say?" while curled up like a baby.  And then they end with a hug and a kiss, WTF?  

To further criticize how unbelievable he was, the weak ass collar grabs he tries to scare people with.  I think he grabbed the finger print guy and Leto.  Neither little collar shake was even close to believable.  Most anyone could crumple that little cream puff with one hand.

Also, that forensics lady is fucked up for carrying that slug on her keychain.  

Spoiler

Apparently the setting for this movie was in a country where police care if they just killed at best a complete scumbag or at worst a serial killer.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:24 PM, wild_turkey said:

Perhaps Leto wasn’t the killer, but he’s a textbook example of play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Maybe not a great idea to tell a cop you know where a missing girl can be found, then have that cop go out into the boonies with you in the middle of the night, then ask that cop to start digging holes while you taunt him about his children. All the while, impeding an investigation into actual murders and an actual missing girl.

If there are people in real life that pull that shit, they deserve whatever comes their way. It’s basically suicide by cop. Everyone loses.

yeah, that whole sequence of, "i will drive you out to the middle of nowhere, to show you a body, and then taunt you until you eventually kill me while your older, wiser, black colleague looks on" was just a shitty version of se7en.

malek is a fine actor, but he was not right for this role.  it's been said on this thread, and we said it when we watched it.  someone like efron would've actually worked much better.  nothing about malek's character or the way he played it made me think "this guy is a sharp detective with great instincts and really knows how to play the political game" which is what they made him out to be.

they also made them enemies for about 75 seconds before they made up.  which is fine, i don't need 20 minutes wasted on character dynamics when i know how it ends, but it wasn't helpful.

also, when denzel was back at that station, everyone pretty much hated him, except his partner.  it was obvious they didn't want him around and couldn't wait for him to leave.  then we find out that the case took over his life and led to a divorce and a heart attack.  none of that warrants that type of reaction from his former co-workers.  then obviously we learn about the murder by the crime scene, and the cover-up, but is that general knowledge?  is that why they all hated him?  it didn't seem to add up.  i assumed there was some internal affairs investigation the way they were treating him.  whatever.

they also made it seem like at least a decade+ what with the "i think we probably do things a little differently since you left."  uh, it's been 5 years.  were things really that much different between 1985 and 1990?  

• Hook 'Em 1

also, not to pile on, but denzel was apparently a really good cop.  i know the crime scene was alarming, but it appeared to be a couple of hookers that got stabbed.  one would assume that if the perp was still wandering in the bushes, he'd have a knife.  if denzel heard something, it seems odd that he would just turn and shoot. #hookerlivesmatter

18 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Saw it last night at the regular theater. There’s a lot of discussion in this thread about what turned out to be a very shitty movie. And I like Denzel.

Yeah I think most of us watched on HBO.  I can't imagine how disappointed I'd be if I made sitter arrangements to see this in a theatre, or even without kids just paying for admission.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2021 at 2:57 PM, BabaYaga said:

Wasn't confusing at all - just a shitty ending to a mediocre movie.  

Could have been so much better:

Hide contents

Everything else can stay the same until end. When Rami gets the envelope from Denzel it has red barrette in it with "No Angels" note and also a highway number and mile marker.

Then last scene instead of Denzel burning the barrette package now instead he throws his uniform and badge into the fire barrel and then firebombs the Bronco, and hops into another car and drives off, camera zooms in as he flashes back to the scene of the multi victim murder from 5 years ago. Denzel is in plain clothes in leaving the scene he just finished staging with 3 bodies. 3rd victim suddenly comes to and grabs the bag off of her head with Denzel out of sight. Flash over to opening scene and Denzel can be seen shining his flashlight into gas station. Flash over to Denzel seeing the girl from gas station in the police station and they lock eyes. Flash over to Denzel later that day finding her address in the case file and then that night pulling up in front of her house, putting on gloves and getting out of the car.

Back to present, cops bust into motel room where Denzel was staying and start searching, flash over to highway and mile marker from Denzels note to Rami. Show rami looking distraught AF. Back to Denzels motel room, detective finds Arby's receipt with 2 roast beef sandwiches shown, back to Rami, transitions to aerial shot of cops and dog and you can see two naked dead bodies (presumably jogger and the gas station girl). Back to Denzel driving, he cracks a **** eating grin and some bad ass song comes on. Roll to credits.

2763844b-772a-4718-822f-ade5bbcaf885_tex

My thoughts....

Spoiler

I've only seen it once and while it looked promising it fizzled just as fast as it progressed. For me anyway. I was beginning to think Deke was the killer after he mentioned "the little things" the first time to Malek's character. Malek portrayed his character strongly and it was needed given DW was in the movie too. But then his character just got awkward. I didn't see enough from him to think he would go down the hole of not finding the missing girl. It became overly dramatic and pushed. Leto was great and maybe even Oscar worthy. In the end we'll never know whether his character was guilty or innocent and that is a good thing about the movie. The Malek twist was too much of a turn for me to be completely satisfied. Deke killing the third girl explained why we only see two dead girls at the altar and his inevitable demise. Overall I liked the content and the way the actors portrayed their characters and will watch again. Hopefully I'll see things I missed the first time to give me better insight of the progression of the movie. While I was hoping for more I'm not disappointed in the movie. 

• 4 months later...

I just watched it and I can’t get over the first Malek/Denzel scene when their relationship gets off to the classic rocky start. It was so contrived and made no sense. Malek is having Denzel’s car towed because it was “blocking him in” (even though it was morning and they were arriving at the station. Malek literally gives a PC in the next scene).

Denzel - “Why didn’t you just ask me to move it?”

Malek - “I didn’t have time. If you want special treatment go back to (wherever county).”

In what reality is calling a tow service faster than going inside and asking the guy to move his car?  And if you’re in a hurry, why are you just standing there? Go inside and start prepping for your press conference.

Edited by CurlyDumps

• 4 weeks later...