TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

56 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

@Hiphopopotamos I'm laughing so hard at the current "Card fanboys" calling out the "Casey fanboys" on IT as if they're different from one another. 

I nearly fucking lost it when I saw that first post.  As if what Bohls/Chip is doing is any fucking different then what their entire site has done for the last 9 months.  Sometimes that forum can be amazing for all the wrong reasons.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:38 PM, Jive Turkey said:

Is Hudson Card gonna take it personally?

Hope his fee fees are ok!

Casey - the obvious choice to start, sat behind a struggling and hurt Sam for years. Then got passed over for the younger QB. He didn't take it personally, he took it like a champion.

If Casey could do it Card can, and if he can't, that's fine too. Malik Murphy is coming and Casey is a gamer who is only gonna learn more and get better with more starts.

• Hook 'Em 8

Scipio Tex -- 2021 Texas-Rice Postmortem: Offense

QB

Casey did a good job (15 of 18 for 164 will work), but little was asked of him as the Horns correctly chose to pound the running game. My two favorite throws were a very nice location ball to Dixon through traffic to convert a 3rd and 17 (22 yard gain) and then the back shoulder touchdown to Xavier Worthy. Good balls. The interception isn't remotely on him - that was a free Rice DL who felt his way through the protection when we pulled a backside OL to seal the edge. I don't like that concept and Rice punished Casey for it. Clean game and he'll be our starter against Tech. At one point during the broadcast, Lowell Galindo had a single run-on sentence describing Casey where he threw out the descriptives JUICE, FIRE, VIBE & DEMEANOR like he was reading a Mad Lib. Hudson Card was inserted in the lineup in the 3rd quarter and immediately sparked the offense! 

Thx for this @satyanash

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

At one point during the broadcast, Lowell Galindo had a single run-on sentence describing Casey where he threw out the descriptives JUICE, FIRE, VIBE & DEMEANOR like he was reading a Mad Lib.

It was painful to watch the highlights cause I had to listen to Galindo. Thank heavens he didn't get to say DuverYAY.

Fuck-Em-Canceled.jpg

• Haha 2

On 9/21/2021 at 8:06 AM, bad_teammate said:

people here have created imaginary versions of UT players in their heads and are having these imaginary characters have dramas and the people here react to the imaginary drama they created themselves

Are we OK?

So basically Surly?

Mr Rogers and the Land of Make Believe: nostalgia

• Hook 'Em 3

On 9/21/2021 at 8:06 AM, bad_teammate said:

people here have created imaginary versions of UT players in their heads and are having these imaginary characters have dramas and the people here react to the imaginary drama they created themselves

Are we OK?

Wow. That should be our new tagline:

Surly-Horns-Crop-Top.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think Nahlin is sauced up tonight. He’s losing his shit in the IT Hudson interview thread over nothing. 

Haha seriously.

I was a subscriber to IT for 15+ years (served as a direct team source under ClendonRoss and RossLucksinger from 2006-2010) and was banned tonight for asking why he got so butthurt over a simple comment suggesting that Card may be better off learning behind Casey for a bit.

His NIL relationship with Card has been unhealthy for IT as a whole.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

On 9/13/2021 at 2:05 PM, Duane Moore said:

Is Darius Terrell still with TFB? Because before the season when he was on the 4th & 5 podcast with @OnAComputer he was definitely pumping Casey to get the starting job. 

He is. He is taking a hiatus from podcasting because of coaching. He’s very happy about Casey.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Scipio Tex) 2021 Texas-Texas Tech Postmortem: Offense 

This just in... Bijan Robinson has now slaughtered more people in space than the entire Alien franchise.

The Longhorn offense also murdered Texas Tech in space, up close, and everywhere else, turning 11 offensive possessions into 9 touchdowns. This is how you want Texas offensive drive charts to look:

10-75-TD
9-80-TD
12-75-TD
6-40-TD
9-84-TD
3--5-INT (Bench Casey Thompson!)
2-7-TD
6-87-TD
3-75-TD
6-60-TD
9-46-Downs

Texas ran 75 plays for 639 yards at 8.5 yards per play and put 63 on the board (7 were from Josh Thompson). Once again, Texas found its footing in the ground game, relentlessly running outside zone until Tech tried to adjust and then the entire running game repertoire opened up for 336 yards. The Texas offensive line and running backs are pretty good at outside zone. WHO KNEW?

Steve Sarkisian was all over Tech DC Keith Patterson's junk defenses early, burned him badly (see the Bijan flat touchdown toss), and when Patterson called off the dogs into tepid 3 man rushes and bad zones, Tech was reduced to read n' react without the athleticism to the do the important "react" part of the equation. Texas put Tech on islands and the better athletes won.

Finally, it's strange to consider that while the Longhorn passing game was hyper efficient and Texas receivers compiled more YAC than a Tibetan ox cart, Texas missed on several open deep throws that would have gone for single play scores. Thompson might have had a 400 yard day. The Horns have got to hit those for the whole offensive ecosystem to truly flourish against better defenses

QB

Casey was hyper efficient and commanding in his clean pockets, picking Tech apart in the short and intermediate game to the tune of 18 of 23 for 303 yards, 5 touchdowns, 1 interception. He demonstrated good presence in the pocket and continues to show the ability to gain opportunistic rushing yards when required. I like that he's keeping his eye level down field as he seeks better passing windows, but when it's time to grab some grass with his legs, he commits and runs the ball.

That all written, he has to stop putting extra helium in every ball that travels more than 20 yards. Save fade balls for the fades, not posts and fly routes. It cost Xavier Worthy long touchdowns and when he combined the floater ball with a wild scramble to his left while throwing across his body, the result was an end zone interception deep in Tech territory that I'm sure he wanted back. He's showing good vision on intermediate balls fitted into zones at the sticks. And even when things went bad for him, they went right. 

Thx for Scipio Tex stuff @satyanash

Edited by LTtxfan

Not sure if posted.

Sarkisian is clearly all-in with Thompson. Backup Hudson Card was taken off field goal holding duties against TCU. Card has played in four games, the maximum allowed to preserve an athlete’s redshirt status.

Officially, Card would still have four years of eligibility remaining if he redshirts. The 2020 season was wiped off the board, from an eligibility standpoint, because of the pandemic. The NCAA allowed all athletes to freeze their eligibility. Thus, Card could technically still be classified as a redshirt freshman in 2022. 

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/10/03/texas-football-sarkisian-looks-like-hes-all-casey-thompson/5934847001/

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure if posted.

Sarkisian is clearly all-in with Thompson. Backup Hudson Card was taken off field goal holding duties against TCU. Card has played in four games, the maximum allowed to preserve an athlete’s redshirt status.
Officially, Card would still have four years of eligibility remaining if he redshirts. The 2020 season was wiped off the board, from an eligibility standpoint, because of the pandemic. The NCAA allowed all athletes to freeze their eligibility. Thus, Card could technically still be classified as a redshirt freshman in 2022. 

https://www.hookem.com/story/sports/football/2021/10/03/texas-football-sarkisian-looks-like-hes-all-casey-thompson/5934847001/

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Not losing a potential redshirt over holding is a very common sense move. It doesn’t necessarily say anything about, say, whether or not Sark would pull Thompson if he’s thrown three first half INTs or something.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it. Not losing a potential redshirt over holding is a very common sense move. It doesn’t necessarily say anything about, say, whether or not Sark would pull Thompson if he’s thrown three first half INTs or something.

You are correct  !

Sark just stated in press conf Card will play this year.    Dicker preferred another holder (Zach Edwards).

(note to self,  don't overreact to Statesman)

Thx for this @satyanash

Scipio Tex postmortem on tcu game

Sark lacked confidence in the Texas passing offense and the Horns had to adjust to a game plan meant to protect Casey Thompson. That was evident fairly early with Thompson misdialing on open Longhorn receivers, twice trying to throw interceptions to TCU linebackers, and reaffirmed when he threw up a punt into triple coverage before the half.

Given the passing game struggles, it is not coincidence that Bijan got the ball on 3rd and 4 with goal to go (TD), a 3rd and 9 in the 4th quarter (9 yard run, first down), and a pair of 4th quarter goal line carries that screamed play action situation against a sold out TCU run defense (Texas failed to convert). The coup de grace was a 3rd and 6 handoff late in the 4th quarter that Bijan converted to effectively seal the Longhorn win. Texas ran the ball in those situations not just because Bijan is awesome, but because Sark couldn't trust his passing game execution.

The Texas passing offense was bad. That's an aggregate statement that encompasses the QB, one WR, and one OT. It does not encompass Sark, who realized pretty quickly that he was going to be calling the passing game with his laminate tied behind his back. This despite the fact that TCU was starting a terrible cornerback opposite Hodges-Tomlinson and has a couple of safeties that were begging to be exploited down field after the Carter targeting ejection.

Warning: I will break down each unit and evaluate their actual level of play. That means when Casey throws the ball, the receiver catching it is irrelevant to the quality of his throw and decision making. I'm evaluating the throw. If your response is "Yeah, but still" or "But winners win and look at this drive data against Rice!" or "receiver drops drain the psychic energy of the QB and make his arm weak" then we watch a different game and that's cool and have fun and be a fan. Conversely, it also means it's not Thompson's fault when Christian Jones surrenders a free run sack - even if you feel he "should do something and be a winner" - or that Xavier Worthy's drops happened because Thompson coats the ball in Crisco.

QB  

Casey Thompson played poorly. As I've written for several weeks running, he has a weak arm and his inability to throw the ball with any velocity, variety, and rhythm down the field is costing the Longhorns easy points and creating turnover opportunities. "It's fine because we won" isn't sound thinking. Sark is scheming up touchdowns in the passing game that are turning into wasted downs. See the Longhorns' first play from scrimmage in the contest. Should've been a Joshua Moore TD. That inability to counter punch will be exploited by better opponents.

Thompson finished the first half 6 of 14 for 47 yards and an interception. He was 2 of 7 for 11 yards in the 2nd quarter. Beyond the stats - which are influenced by factors outside of his control like drops - grading his actual throws and decision-making yields a D grade. He played better in the second half, but Sark limiting him to 8 passing attempts despite a TCU secondary begging to be exploited was not due to Sark's negligence. It was appropriate caution. The wide-open RPO touchdown to Jordan Whittington was a key play and it certainly punished Patterson for crowding the box. Tip your hat to Casey for delivering there. The other long completion to Whittington was a poor throw made right by an exceptional effort from the receiver. Those two throws effectively comprised his statistical second half rally. Again, I'm not relying on inference. I'm watching the plays and grading them.

Thompson did run the ball opportunistically and his best play was a 41 yard scramble on a roll out where he eluded one Frog defender and then took advantage of green grass to take the ball out past midfield. 

Edited by LTtxfan

Just like so many jumped on Hudson too soon imo, it's too soon to jump on Casey. He had a shit game. No doubt about it. His arm strength is never going to be a plus and accuracy is still a question mark to me. Hudson is better in both of those areas. Against TCU, Casey didn't have his usual poise and decision-making that has made him so effective (this is where Card needs work). If Casey gets that back, he'll do just fine. If not, we may see Hudson again this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Just like so many jumped on Hudson too soon imo, it's too soon to jump on Casey. He had a shit game. No doubt about it. His arm strength is never going to be a plus and accuracy is still a question mark to me. Hudson is better in both of those areas. Against TCU, Casey didn't have his usual poise and decision-making that has made him so effective (this is where Card needs work). If Casey gets that back, he'll do just fine. If not, we may see Hudson again this year.

Casey had a poor game vs tcu no doubt.

Turning the page, Casey has to perform great vs blOU for the HORNS to win this Saturday.  With Kerstetter starting at left guard against blOU, I'm hoping for a much cleaner pocket this Saturday.  

Also this from Scipio Tex:  

"Gary Patterson was justifiably terrified of exposing his shaky secondary and was reluctant to crowd the box other than on some key downs and late in the game when the Frogs trailed. Alex Grinch will expose his secondary and dare Casey Thompson to make big throws."

Alex will definitely stack the box and and blitz. I have to assume he thinks his DBs aren’t threaded by our WRs and that the best way to stop us is to stop Bijan. Which is also probably true. Casey is really gonna be the X factor…if he can hurt them with his legs and hit big throws…he’ll be able to turn this game. 

2 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

I was curious to see Casey's numbers on deep balls and they aren't good at all, but I was surprised to find that he barely throws to the outside.

I went to the open practice at DKR with a high school football coach this summer,  and he was concerned about velocity and arm strength exhibited by Casey.

Throwing to the outside takes either:  

1. a strong arm for the QB, or
  2. a QB who processes defenses/coverages faster so they can throw the football earlier...
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, burdine said:

I think Casey is our best option but there are significant arm strength limitations.  Opposing Def Coordinators can chart passes too.  However with a generational talent at RB, we still have a lot on the table.

7 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Alex will definitely stack the box and and blitz. I have to assume he thinks his DBs aren’t threaded by our WRs and that the best way to stop us is to stop Bijan. Which is also probably true. Casey is really gonna be the X factor…if he can hurt them with his legs and hit big throws…he’ll be able to turn this game. 

No doubt Casey has the ability to help TEXAS beat blOU this Saturday.  He has to have a cleaner pocket, make better decisions and throws, and avoid turning the ball over.

SARK has mentioned several times that the QB has to find ways to move the team down the field, protect the ball, and score TDs inside the Red Zone. 

Hopefully Casey will have a great game against blOU -- HORNS will probably need it to win this Saturday.   🤘 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

No doubt Casey has the ability to help TEXAS beat blOU this Saturday.  He has to have a cleaner pocket, make better decisions and throws, and avoid turning the ball over.

SARK has mentioned several times that the QB has to find ways to move the team down the field, protect the ball, and score TDs inside the Red Zone. 

Hopefully Casey will have a great game against blOU -- HORNS will probably need it to win this Saturday.   🤘 

Yep! I totally get the why of having Hudson Card start the season…to have a guy with the arm talent to make every throw. It just came down to intangibles and Casey just had that factor that’s hard to quantify.

Casey can absolutely cause ousux problems…I have no doubt. And I hope they key Bijan so we can sneak Casey, K Rob, Roschon and whoever else out into space. 

I would absolutely love seeing the son of a former ousux great, beat them in the cotton bowl! 

Bijan is going to do Bijan things. Worthy will be the key against OU. I don't know what was going on against TCU, but we need the Worthy who played against Tech. We don't need Casey to hit the deep ball if he can hit Worthy on the move in space. Though hitting on some of those passes would be nice too.

Scipio Tex:  Postmortem blOU

Much of the Longhorn recipe for big play success on offense rested on Casey Thompson’s ability to hit the critical throws that Steve Sarkisian schemed up against the Sooner secondary. Not only did Casey coolly nail a very high percentage of those throws, Sark’s play calling freed up as many wide open Texas receivers in one game as I’ve seen in a very, very long time. The 38 point, 355 yard first half destruction of the Grinch led Sooner defense was remarkable. The Sooners had no idea what hit ’em. Whether it was Texas attacking the edge on 3rd and short with receiver sweeps, a steady diet of Bijan on wide zone, red zone rub routes to spring Joshua Moore, or Casey Thompson going deep on play action to an open Moore and Worthy.

QB and play caller both like it when a game opens like this on a simple keep ’em honest throw out wide:

Washington got a strong block and Worthy humiliates Jaden Davis for a 75 yard touchdown on the first play of the game. Later…

Moore is open by eight yards, but Thompson still needs to sink the open shot. Nothing but net.

QB

#11 was 20 of 34 for 388 yards and 5 touchdowns with zero turnovers. Thompson played his best game as a Longhorn. That’s not reliant on inference from gazing at some gaudy statistics. Remove the stat friendly 75 yard TD to Worthy that was about 70 yards of Worthy or even the Moore layup (and you shouldn’t do that – Casey made the open throw) and you’ll still find multiple good throws and relatively few mistakes while #11 got hammered. He spent a lot of time under inordinate pressure and the mistakes he made were all part of playing in a heated rivalry game taking big shots and facing moments of withering pass rush. Playing through a banged up wrist as well.

Here’s a hell of a pure ball with the Horns down 7 and 1:27 on the clock in the game.

That’s the only place you can put it. It’s also notable that this is not off of play action. Big boy pocket throw. Similarly, he hit Worthy for a big gain on a straight up timing fly route in man coverage. I could not be more proud of Casey’s effort, overall play under fire, and his ability come up big on multiple throws that he hadn’t yet connected on this year.

Edited by LTtxfan