TEXAS QB TALK

LTtxfan

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I wish no injury to any player, but if Ewers is not starting against Will Anderson I will NOT be upset. He should starts against UTSA and the rest of the games after that. 

Strange post. Fuck that. I want to see Ewers from the outset. Card had his shot and was average. Ewers is the more highly recruited than anyone ever including VY. We’re riding with Ewers and not looking back. We don’t have the luxury of not putting our best guys on the field in every game. 

22 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

You joke but there may be eventually be players who could make more with a big NIL deal than an NFL contract depending on which college they play for and what their NFL evaluation is 

Possibly especially for late round picks but it's not as publicly advertised what NFL players make from endorsements, so it's hard to know on higher picks.   

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Possibly especially for late round picks but it's not as publicly advertised what NFL players make from endorsements, so it's hard to know on higher picks.   

It's a fuckton for nationally-recognized type players, but ounces for the average starter.

My humble opinion is that Ewers has to start. Deer in headlights is a bad look for a QB. But there are times when using a QB the way Sam was used, is a great option. We know Card can run effectively. We aslo know if he has to make fast decisions with pressure, he shits his pants. Why not have a set of plays with simple run/pass option where Card either has THE receiver open or he tucks and runs? He only has to make 1 decision. It would be a good short yardage alternative. The added bonus is if het gets beat up like Sam did, he doesn't have to trot back out and run the offense for the next series. It also would be a confidence builder for him. Scary to think about, but he's one wiffed block away from running the offense, again. Assuming, of course, that Ewers is the man.

6 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

FR9PJHcXwAATEOD?format=jpg&name=large

Well, you done done me in, you bet I felt it
I tried to be chill, but you're so hot that I melted
I fell right through the cracks
Now I'm trying to get back
Before the cool done run out
I'll be giving it my bestest
And nothing's gonna stop me but divine intervention
I reckon it's again my turn
To win some or learn some
But I won't hesitate no more, no more
It cannot wait, I'm Ewers.
Hmm (hey, hey)
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
Hmm (hey, hey)

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, 1leggedduck said:

My humble opinion is that Ewers has to start. Deer in headlights is a bad look for a QB. But there are times when using a QB the way Sam was used, is a great option. We know Card can run effectively. We aslo know if he has to make fast decisions with pressure, he shits his pants. Why not have a set of plays with simple run/pass option where Card either has THE receiver open or he tucks and runs? He only has to make 1 decision. It would be a good short yardage alternative. The added bonus is if het gets beat up like Sam did, he doesn't have to trot back out and run the offense for the next series. It also would be a confidence builder for him. Scary to think about, but he's one wiffed block away from running the offense, again. Assuming, of course, that Ewers is the man.

Just me, but my “package” QB would be RoJo, not Card. RoJo at least runs north/south rather than to the sideline like Card so often does when scrambling. 

2 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:
Hmm (hey, hey)

b7e8d944-97c3-44ec-bae1-3ef8cd2b8975_tex

• Haha 2

I think this is a harder decision than most give credit for.  I'll have to qualify this by saying it's hard to base anything on the extremely limited looks we have been given.  Coaches surely have a better idea and we won't hear squat from them any time soon.  Anyway, my mostly useless 0.5 cent:

Ewers arm looks the part, but I'm nervous that he seemingly gives up an easy pick in each scrimmage.  He also missed a simple toss to Neyor on the 3rd down play in the first OT scrimmage that forced a FG.

Card looked good in a spring game where the defense gave no pressure looks until the OT period.  Then, he gave up a big sack/grounding which maybe means he's still what we all know from last year.

The 4th down goalline slant was also not a great throw.  I think that was Card as well.

Edited by JBJ

I haven’t been following spring ball that much, but it seems like Card is getting a lot of reps with the first team. Am I wrong? The only thing that stands out to me is that Ewers hasn’t “blown everyone away” like I thought he should. I mean, he is one of the highest rated recruits of all time right?! That being said, our QB play will depend A LOT on how our offensive line plays, which is scary. I think next year will be a lot of “holy hell what is he DOING?!” Mixed with “HOLY HELL HOW DID HE DO THAT?!!” 

19 hours ago, JBJ said:

I think this is a harder decision than most give credit for.  I'll have to qualify this by saying it's hard to base anything on the extremely limited looks we have been given.  Coaches surely have a better idea and we won't hear squat from them any time soon.  Anyway, my mostly useless 0.5 cent:

Ewers arm looks the part, but I'm nervous that he seemingly gives up an easy pick in each scrimmage.  He also missed a simple toss to Neyor on the 3rd down play in the first OT scrimmage that forced a FG.

Card looked good in a spring game where the defense gave no pressure looks until the OT period.  Then, he gave up a big sack/grounding which maybe means he's still what we all know from last year.

The 4th down goalline slant was also not a great throw.  I think that was Card as well.

Ewers is going to throw picks. I am thinking he may look like a Longhorn version of Brett Favre in year 1, especially early. Some amazing throws that only a couple QBs can make and some WTF ints. The difference being you will have a young kid make some stupid throws trying to fit the ball in tight windows, because he has the arm talent to complete them. Card is likely to miss big plays, but limit turnovers. If you had a great defense and a great OL, I would probably be arguing for Card. Based on the what I think is mediocre OL and Defense at best, give me some volatility. So come on down Mr Ewers. 

Edited by Codaxx

People sometimes forget that Colt threw picks too, especially his 2nd year...  

College statistics   Colt McCoy

Texas Longhorns
Season GP Passing Rushing
Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Int RAT Att Yds Avg TD
2006 13 217 318 68.2 2,570 29 7 161.8 68 170 2.5 2
2007 13 276 424 65.1 3,303 22 18 139.2 114 510 4.5 4
2008 13 332 433 76.7 3,859 34 8 173.8 136 561 4.1 11
2009 14 332 470 70.6 3,521 27 12 147.4 129 348 2.7 3
Totals[79] 53 1,157 1,645 70.3 13,253 112 45 155.0 447 1,589 3.6 20

Edited by LTtxfan

On 5/4/2022 at 11:04 AM, Porterhouse said:

Strange post. Fuck that. I want to see Ewers from the outset. Card had his shot and was average. Ewers is the more highly recruited than anyone ever including VY. We’re riding with Ewers and not looking back. We don’t have the luxury of not putting our best guys on the field in every game. 

I’d prefer not to repeat last year’s Arkansas game, or the Kansas game. I’ve seen enough of Card and I don’t care how good he seems in practice 

• Hook 'Em 7

Texas, where the best guy in the limited knowledge of Surly should starts. 

I don't know shit. I want the best guy to start. Players generally improve over time which is likely to be true of both Card and Ewers. I can't see making any kind of decision until "fall" workouts have gone a week or so.

Sark is likely a pretty good judge of QBs.

Now let's get back out there and beat that dead horse!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Didn’t he have 2 turnovers in just a few plays against Kansas? I didn’t dream that

2 turnovers in 89 pass attempts and who knows how many snaps. If anything he will hold the ball and take a sack

6 hours ago, Codaxx said:

2 turnovers in 89 pass attempts and who knows how many snaps. If anything he will hold the ball and take a sack

Him taking sacks is part of his problem.  Look, I appreciate @RomaVicta’s comments about Sark knowing QBs and I agree. But there is a reason Quinn is here. He isn’t Casey Thompson. Talk of a legitimate competition is silly. It’s akin to saying RoJo should get more Carrie’s taking away from Bijan. No he shouldn’t, and Card ain’t starting. 

I want a great QB. If I had to bet, I'd bet Ewers is the best shot at that.  I don't have to bet. 

I'm getting pissy about absolute certainty where it doesn't exist. There should be argument on this thread about QBs. I just get tired of the unjustified level of certainty, so I shake my fist and harrumph. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If half the shit we heard about Thompson is true, then that’s even more an indictment of Card.  

When your competition is Fakey Thompson who shows up late to meetings, doesn’t give a shit, and is constantly missing wide open receivers and losing games, you shouldn’t have much trouble getting the team to rally around you and seize the mantle of team leader.  

That Card couldn’t emphatically do that speaks to his own deficiencies beyond just looking like a deer in headlights when on the field.  Maybe he’s like that off the field, too.

In any case, we’re rolling with Ewers.  It’s why he was brought in.  Card had his shot.  

11 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Him taking sacks is part of his problem.  Look, I appreciate @RomaVicta’s comments about Sark knowing QBs and I agree. But there is a reason Quinn is here. He isn’t Casey Thompson. Talk of a legitimate competition is silly. It’s akin to saying RoJo should get more Carrie’s taking away from Bijan. No he shouldn’t, and Card ain’t starting. 

I didn’t say he should and agree Card taking sacks is a problem. The point was Card is actually careful with the ball. More to the point too careful. That may be plus if this battle was on a team with top flight talent everywhere else and you were looking for a game manager, but that just isn’t the case for Texas this upcoming season

Edited by Codaxx

8 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I want a great QB. If I had to bet, I'd bet Ewers is the best shot at that.  I don't have to bet. 

I'm getting pissy about absolute certainty where it doesn't exist. There should be argument on this thread about QBs. I just get tired of the unjustified level of certainty, so I shake my fist and harrumph. 

I’m looking at the competition and making a reasonable assumption. He’s not competing against VY, Colt, Sam, Major or Simms. Or anything close to those guys. And he’s the most hyped QB recruit ever. Certainty is very rare in sports, but this is about as a non-QB battle as you’ll find. Discuss if you want; it sounds to me like people stretching for a narrative that isn’t there, but that’s what people do. 

1 hour ago, oldhorn2 said:

Goddamit!...Ewers has an all world arm and a freshman head. He will make great throws and bonehead plays.Live with it for a year.

I see no evidence of this. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this happens, and if it does, he needs to be out there as much as possible getting reps and improving. I’m happy to live with it for 2 years. It’s going to take our line at least one year to get better. And 8-4 season with promising, developing young Ewers and line is a major step in the right direction. 

There is no evidence....how could there be.The fact is he has no real game experience. He will take some time to grow. I am willing to let him grow. I bet he gets better and better....but I don't expect Joe Montana from day one.

I will say this. Gotta suck for ewers. Dude hasn’t played a snap in years. Tons of hype. The media giving him heisman odds. Breakout player odds. All this pressure and he’s not even the starter yet on a team with a shit o line coming off it’s worse season in 50 years. What could go wrong 

20 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I will say this. Gotta suck for ewers. Dude hasn’t played a snap in years. Tons of hype. The media giving him heisman odds. Breakout player odds. All this pressure and he’s not even the starter yet on a team with a shit o line coming off it’s worse season in 50 years. What could go wrong 

Yes. I'm sure it sucks that he's made enough money to invest and live on for the rest of his life without throwing a pass in college. I hope he's okay. 

The guy is right now the projected #1 pick in the majority of 2024 NFL mock drafts.   The kid can throw, Sark and the coaches see it.  He’s also been through a fall and spring practice and will go through one more fall camp.  He’s going to put up big numbers this year if these freshman OL can be even remotely average which shouldn’t be a huge ask given we just recruited two 5 stars that the rest of college football elites were after in Banks and Campbell.  This offense is going to fuck…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Gotta suck that he only has to play better than the two losers we trotted out at QB last year.

14 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

EFAED96B-3308-443B-9D71-30FE8B1BFB39.thumb.jpeg.0182ae437b8d10323c274befe26ad9b8.jpeg

This guy does not give a fuck. 

• Hook 'Em 2