Vietnam/Cambodia/Bali

Doug E. Fresh

6 hours ago, TexanTraveling said:

Siem Reap doesnt really have a lot going on. Angkor Wat obviously. There is a nice little night market and a bar area to party. I was there for 5 days or so. I definitely got the 10 dollar massages every day. Probably my favorite part about Camboida and Laos. 

was just going to second this. the massages are awesome. get one every freaking day. feet one day, head the next. 

Siem Reap for me is a top 5 thing I have ever done. I got a bike with some friends and explored the Angor Wat greater complex for a few days. Just a blast. This was maybe 2005 so no idea what its like now. In 2005 Cambodia was most def rough around the edges. 

Haven't read much of this post but would say to whoever to just go. Pick one country and just go. Try not to do too much movement. 

Ok.  I think I've set my iten at least enough to book my flights.   I'll give you experts a few days to pick it apart and add or subtract days. 

Monday LV SAT at 6am.  AR in HAN at 7pm on Tuesday.  Spend two nights there.  Beer drinking corner. pho, coffee, beer, coffee, pho, water puppet show (missed that last time), food tour.

Thurs take hopefully an early flight to Luang Prabang.  3 nights there.  Wats, chill, food, royal palace, Mekong, coffee, beer.

Sunday fly to Vientiane 2 nights there.  Buddha park and whatever else. 

Tuesday fly early to Siem Reap/Angkor 2 nights there. 

Thursday fly to BKK late and spend 2 nights there.  I've been to Bangkok back in 14 so this was really just a place to go before flying back.  If I get in early Ill go see the same tailor I used and get a few more dress shirts and maybe a suit.

Fly home Saturday morning.

Like most trips I'm sure I could use just one extra day but with kids and business I can't be gone more than 12-13 days so Ill have to make the best of it.

I'm actually considering doing this backwards so that the chill part of the trip is on the tail end vs being exhausted from two nights in Bangkok.  

Edited by midtown

I'm going to have to go back and read most of your itinerary again bc I was triggered and couldn't get past the words 'puppet show.'  Do not waste your time or money on that thing. They make you feel like it's something you're going to be amazed by but naw, my vote is a very strong hell fucking no. Even my wife thought it was crap and she is extremely patient and open-minded. I'd encourage it for kids under 12, puppetry professionals or extreme enthusiasts. Those are about the only exceptions that come to mind.

I'm going to have to go back and read most of your itinerary again bc I was triggered and couldn't get past the words 'puppet show.'  Do not waste your time or money on that thing. They make you feel like it's something you're going to be amazed by but naw, my vote is a very strong hell fucking no. Even my wife thought it was crap and she is extremely patient and open-minded. I'd encourage it for kids under 12, puppetry professionals or extreme enthusiasts. Those are about the only exceptions that come to mind.
Had no clue.. My tour company last time suggested it but I didn't have time.

Yeah, I think maybe it's a government mandate that tour companies push it. Total tourist trap. We went because nobody told us not to.

In LP I'd recommend Mandalao Elephant Sanctuary - do the half day visit, it's plenty. That was fun, felt rewarding. Get out on the river - hire one of those long boats. There's a small village where a women's group makes the silk scarves you'll see - it's not too far up the river and they can drop you at the village and you take a taxi back. The Mekong is gorgeous through there and it was really nice to be out on the water. Also the massage is cheap and i'm including a pic of our favorite. They have a farmers market that's mostly for locals but is extremely interesting to walk through if you get up a little early. If you're feeling brave, cross the bamboo bridge - if it's there - only certain times of year. IMG_20181219_093652.thumb.jpg.56c142789908384c4512a96a0443eaae.jpg

PANO_20181219_142254.vr.jpg

IMG_20181219_140515.jpg

PANO_20181218_104118.vr.jpg

IMG_20181218_093345.jpg

Edited by Chopper
  • Like 1

Ok.  I think I've set my iten at least enough to book my flights.   I'll give you experts a few days to pick it apart and add or subtract days. 
Monday LV SAT at 6am.  AR in HAN at 7pm on Tuesday.  Spend two nights there.  Beer drinking corner. pho, coffee, beer, coffee, pho, water puppet show (missed that last time), food tour.
Thurs take hopefully an early flight to Luang Prabang.  3 nights there.  Wats, chill, food, royal palace, Mekong, coffee, beer.
Sunday fly to Vientiane 2 nights there.  Buddha park and whatever else. 
Tuesday fly early to Siem Reap/Angkor 2 nights there. 
Thursday fly to BKK late and spend 2 nights there.  I've been to Bangkok back in 14 so this was really just a place to go before flying back.  If I get in early Ill go see the same tailor I used and get a few more dress shirts and maybe a suit.
Fly home Saturday morning.
Like most trips I'm sure I could use just one extra day but with kids and business I can't be gone more than 12-13 days so Ill have to make the best of it.
I'm actually considering doing this backwards so that the chill part of the trip is on the tail end vs being exhausted from two nights in Bangkok.  

If your still flying out of Saigon on the way back i would stick with what you got instead of reversing it...save ya time from going back and forth
If you just do roundtrip from hanoi then go for it as you will have the big cities bookend on the trip either way

Unless you don't mind the risk of losing money on your airline ticket, at this point I think I'd wait and see what happens before locking in any travel arrangements to Asia due to the Carona virus. Either that or buy very generous travel insurance with few exclusions. This week a number of large MNCs have put a hold on all non-essential travel to any country in Asia.

It's October. Booked a revenue flight on delta to Ha Noi and a miles flight on AA coming back from BKK.. Used my Amex plat so pretty good travel insurance...the virus issue should be well cleared up by then. If it's not that means half the world population is dead and at Angkor Way won't have a billion tourists and I might catch a break on some cheap travel.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Looks like this trip if finally going to happen after years of covid delays.  No restrictions or quarantines  other than showing vaccine card.   Visas for Viet Nam, Laos, and Cambodia secured.   And I have a life long friend joining me.  We went to CR a year ago and have very similar thoughts on travel.

Oct 6-21.  Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, and Bangkok.  

I haven't been this excited about a trip in a long time. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Looks like this trip if finally going to happen after years of covid delays.  No restrictions or quarantines  other than showing vaccine card.   Visas for Viet Nam, Laos, and Cambodia secured.   And I have a life long friend joining me.  We went to CR a year ago and have very similar thoughts on travel.

Oct 6-21.  Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay, Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, and Bangkok.  

Wonderful trip. I'm don't remember that has been posted in this thread about Ha Long Bay. It's gorgeous but if you're doing the cruise thing don't go for longer than a night. Either by figuring out on our own (difficult) or getting a foodie-type guide to take you, going to the restaurants the locals go rather than just tourists is very rewarding.

40 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Wonderful trip. I'm don't remember that has been posted in this thread about Ha Long Bay. It's gorgeous but if you're doing the cruise thing don't go for longer than a night. Either by figuring out on our own (difficult) or getting a foodie-type guide to take you, going to the restaurants the locals go rather than just tourists is very rewarding.

We did two nights on Ha Long Bay and thought it was great and got to see more than just the one night tour. We also had the boat to ourselves (2 of us) so that helped tremendously.

4 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

We did two nights on Ha Long Bay and thought it was great and got to see more than just the one night tour. We also had the boat to ourselves (2 of us) so that helped tremendously.

There ya go! Different strokes. We did the 2 night tour also. I felt stir crazy. The food and booze were mediocre, and limited. Also we didn't have the boat to ourselves but definitely not as crowded.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, all these recent comments are giving me the itch to go back to Vietnam. We did 6 weeks in Vietnam and Bali in 2018 and was probably the best trip I’ve done. Hanoi -> Ha Long Bay -> Hue -> Hoi An -> Danang -> HCM.  Wanted to do Sa Pa but was rainy season so had to give it a miss.

• Hook 'Em 2

This will be my second trip to Viet Nam which is by far the best trip I've ever done.   In 2016 I did Sai Gon, Hue, Hoi An, Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay.   I had expected to go solo on this trip so my stay in Viet Nam was just going to be Ha Noi for 2 nights and hadn't even planned on doing Ha Long again but I  can't let my buddy miss that and I actually wouldn't mind at all spending a night out there again after a 6 year gap.

We are on this cruise.  The tour company I used on my previous trip suggested three.  This one being the 3* they also suggested a 4 and 5 star but my thinking was that a 3* would have a younger more fun group than a old group of on a 5 star.

https://reneacruiseshalong.com/

4 and 5 respectively

https://www.peonycruises.com/

https://www.dragonlegendcruise.com/

Same company has us on a military jeep food tour the first morning in Ha Noi

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 2

It's seriously a magical place and it's a surreal experience being in Ha Long Bay. I told this story before but I was on the upper deck just amazed b the view and talking to this LBC cop. And he said the most amazing thimg. He said.

Do you know why we are here vs all those other people are not?

I thought he was going to say something involving moon phases and stars aligning etc and he just said the most travel thing ever.

He said 'we pressed enter'

• Haha 1

The whole country is magical. After 3 weeks on the road and roughing it we decided to splurge on a night in Danang to just chill. Stayed at this place, which was unreal.  Went down to China beach and hit some bars in the evening. Danang wasn’t even on our itinerary but turned into a really great day.

69CC0D3E-C26A-426A-8CDA-7B3F654F8E06.jpeg

A5B11C3D-AC49-4734-88F0-E5AC981B3CD9.jpeg

CFE14C98-34EC-4BB1-BB8B-5469A22AB915.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Anyone want to weigh in.

I am trying to debate what city to do 3 days vs 2 days

Do I do 3 in Luang Prabang or 3 in Siem Reap.    Initially I had planed to have 4 and 3 but as mentioned above had to add two extra days in Ha Noi and a full day in Bangkok for my buddies sake.    I could easily have just shown up in Bangkok in the afternoon, gone for dinner and a few beers and left the next day but he wants to spend one day there.   There is also a very high chance I will return to SE Asia in a few years so it's not like this is an all or nothing trip.

Edited by midtown

7 hours ago, midtown said:

Anyone want to weigh in.

Do I do 3 in Luang Prabang or 3 in Siem Reap.    Initially I had planed to have 4 and 3 but as mentioned above had to add two extra days in Ha Noi and a full day in Bangkok for my buddies sake.    I could easily have just shown up in Bangkok in the afternoon, gone for dinner and a few beers and left the next day but he wants to spend one day there.   There is also a very high chance I will return to SE Asia in a few years so it's not like this is an all or nothing trip.

Luang Prabang would be your one stop that wouldn't be a huge city. It's very laid back and the French influence makes it look quite charming. Also it's at a bit of an elevation so the temp should be cooler. OTOH there's not a ton to see there though so I'd give a close look at the activities and decide based on that. There's a great humane elephant sanctuary (Mandalao) and you can hire a boat to cruise the Mekong River. They seemed to really like Americans there, at least when I visited,  because President Obama had been there a year or two before. It has some really top notch hotels and great prices too. About an hour drive from the city are some famous waterfalls. I didn't enjoy it but I've heard summer is when the falls are at their best (and we were there in Dec or Jan). I'd sum up LP as a nice place to relax and hang out but nothing terribly exciting, esp for 3 days.

We didn't get to Siem Reap but if you want more action and activities, that'd probably be the place to go.

I am also thinking 3 in Luang Prabang.  Kuang Si is 100% on my list.  Then a day just wandering the little town.   Hopefully a food tour   Mostly when I travel I just book a very moderate hotel since Im just sleeping in it but 3 stars in SE Asia are more like 5 Stars in the US.   Was going to ramp up to a really nice place in Luang Prabang and have a day to just sit by the pool and have some laundry done and day drink.  Maybe catch up on some emails work etc. 

On 8/19/2022 at 3:36 PM, midtown said:

This will be my second trip to Viet Nam which is by far the best trip I've ever done.   In 2016 I did Sai Gon, Hue, Hoi An, Ha Noi, Ha Long Bay.   I had expected to go solo on this trip so my stay in Viet Nam was just going to be Ha Noi for 2 nights and hadn't even planned on doing Ha Long again but I  can't let my buddy miss that and I actually wouldn't mind at all spending a night out there again after a 6 year gap.

We are on this cruise.  The tour company I used on my previous trip suggested three.  This one being the 3* they also suggested a 4 and 5 star but my thinking was that a 3* would have a younger more fun group than a old group of on a 5 star.

https://reneacruiseshalong.com/

4 and 5 respectively

https://www.peonycruises.com/

https://www.dragonlegendcruise.com/

Same company has us on a military jeep food tour the first morning in Ha Noi

i went on some rando cheap boat with my extended family, and also the dragon legend with my wife.  neither were particularly lively. 

after dinner people scatter around sipping on beer, but the boats dont promote the vibe to mingle. 

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

after dinner people scatter around sipping on beer, but the boats dont promote the vibe to mingle. 

Yeah.  That was largely my experience.  Its a long day to start.  By 8 or 9pm most people are pretty beat.   Not expecting a night club atmosphere but was just hoping that the avg age wasnt 75 and everyone using walkers etc. 

20 hours ago, midtown said:

Anyone want to weigh in.

I did not go to Luang Prabang and this is from 2007, but I would say you need 2 full days to see Angkor Wat. I did a 1 day guided tour, and then rented a bike and did my own thing the 2nd. Both days were awesome for their own reasons, which I could expand on if you care.

I was at the end of month of traveling and running very low on money, so I really didn't do much outside of Angkor Wat. Also was pretty exhausted after full days exploring.

All that to say, if you plan on doing anything else in Siem Reap, you probably need a 3rd day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2022 at 6:27 AM, midtown said:

I am also thinking 3 in Luang Prabang.  Kuang Si is 100% on my list.  Then a day just wandering the little town.   Hopefully a food tour   Mostly when I travel I just book a very moderate hotel since Im just sleeping in it but 3 stars in SE Asia are more like 5 Stars in the US.   Was going to ramp up to a really nice place in Luang Prabang and have a day to just sit by the pool and have some laundry done and day drink.  Maybe catch up on some emails work etc. 

I really liked the place. Slow but has a good vibe. It's a place where US expats living in Bangkok, for example, go for a long weekend.

Btw when I say take a boat on the Mekong, I'm talking one of these. We had a solo trip with a guide and captain but there are less expensive public cruises too. I forget how far we took it, not terribly far. Our destination was a small village where there's a silk growing facility and they make scarves. Free tour but the wife purchased a bunch of beautiful silk scarves on the cheap.

luang-prabang-laos-april-unidentified-pe

• Hook 'Em 2

No restrictions is an understatement. I was in Hanoi last week and the Vietnamese GAF on masks is not much different than Dallas. I’d say the PI is more slack but that would be it in Asia. Really surprised how many folks were maskless in the airport.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 10:35 AM, midtown said:

@DallasGatr

Any restaurant recs?   Obviously SE Asia the street food is 5 star but anything notable?  Will have two nights in Ha Noi for dinners.

And if anyone has any recs in Vientiane, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap, or Bangkok I'm all up for suggestions.

Hanoi is massive. Someone told me that at the food stalls, the operators switch around a lot and pause operations to take time off, so it's hard to know year-to-year. Best advice would be to tell you to follow the locals and not the tourists. Also don't turn your nose up at Hanoi's egg coffee. It's described as tiramisu in a cup and I don't even like tiramisu but egg coffee is absolutely delicious. If you see an 80 year old woman making rice cakes at a food stall, buy whatever she's selling.

In Bangkok go to the Mandarin Oriental and grab a drink or a meal on the patio by the river, even if it's breakfast. It's stunning. The MO also has a michelin starred restaurant and I'm sure there are more than a few elsewhere in the city. But again the city is so massive, just follow the locals and avoid the tourist traps. You might consider doing this food tour. Some friends went a couple weeks ago. https://www.getyourguide.com/bangkok-l169/chef-designed-bangkok-food-tour-for-8-exclusive-guests-t177729

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Chopper said:

Also don't turn your nose up at Hanoi's egg coffee. It's described as tiramisu in a cup and I don't even like tiramisu but egg coffee is absolutely delicious.

Agreed.   I have every intention to return to Cafe Giang.   Both of our hotels in Ha Noi are around the lake.   Ill take a look at the food tour.  Last time I did one in Bangkok I ended up eating cow brains for the first time which was fantastic of course

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, midtown said:

Agreed.   I have every intention to return to Cafe Giang.   Both of our hotels in Ha Noi are around the lake.   Ill take a look at the food tour.  Last time I did one in Bangkok I ended up eating cow brains for the first time which was fantastic of course

fwiw we stayed in 2 different hotels in Hanoi because we booked the Halong cruise in the middle. Lotte and Sofitel Metropole. I was going to avoid the Metropole because of the $$$ but everyone said not to miss it. So I cheapened out a bit on the front end of the trip. Lotte wasn't bad but Metropole was excellent, and I wish we had stayed there the whole time. They offer tours available even for non-guests and I'd recommend it just to see the place and its interesting history and beautiful architecture. Our experience was that the exec lounge upgrade was well worth the extra fee, at least at the time. The nearest restaurant was an italian cafe attached to the italian consulate and a vespa dealership, and it was actually good. But there were some other good spots a few blocks walking distance.

In Luang Prabang we stayed at the Avani+ which was new at the time (~5 years ago), gorgeous and with a really nice pool area. The Rosewood is a higher level of service but way more money and farther from the old town.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

In Luang Prabang we stayed at the Avani+ which was new at the time (~5 years ago), gorgeous and with a really nice pool area. The Rosewood is a higher level of service but way more money and farther from the old town.

We are staying there as well.  And same as you we are split in Ha Noi due to a night out in Ha Long Bay

First and second Ha Noi Hotels

http://www.orientalsuiteshotel.com/

https://lasiestahotels.vn/hangbe/

Vientiane 

https://www.laseinehotels.com/

Siem Reap 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297390-d8055333-Reviews-La_Riviere_d_Angkor_Resort-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html

Bangkok

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293916-d580606-Reviews-DoubleTree_by_Hilton_Bangkok_Ploenchit-Bangkok.html

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm off.  At SFO now.   Next stop Tokyo then down to Ha Noi.  Some dumb ass lady was trying to check into her flight to S. Korean in SAT.  Did not get a visa.  Oh boy.  She aint going anywhere for a few weeks.  I left to catch my flight before the fireworks started. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, midtown said:

I'm off.  At SFO now.   Next stop Tokyo then down to Ha Noi.  Some dumb ass lady was trying to check into her flight to S. Korean in SAT.  Did not get a visa.  Oh boy.  She aint going anywhere for a few weeks.  I left to catch my flight before the fireworks started. 

send pics!

4 hours ago, midtown said:

Please give any restaurant recommendations at Narita Int Airport.  I'll be spending about 3 hours there connecting from DFW to Ha Noi in January.

9 hours ago, Matuka said:

Please give any restaurant recommendations at Narita Int Airport.  I'll be spending about 3 hours there connecting from DFW to Ha Noi in January.

well first of all.  Its DEAD.  Like hardly much open restaurant wise.  Japan isn't open as of now so it feels pretty empty for one of the biggest airports in Asia.  Im in the KAL lounge so no help on restaurants.   Another 6 hours down to Ha Noi.   My buddy is in the other terminal because he is flying AA from DFW.   They will not let you go to the other terminal without a boarding pass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

well first of all.  Its DEAD.  Like hardly much open restaurant wise.  Japan isn't open as of now so it feels pretty empty for one of the biggest airports in Asia.  Im in the KAL lounge so no help on restaurants.   Another 6 hours down to Ha Noi.   My buddy is in the other terminal because he is flying AA from DFW.   They will not let you go to the other terminal without a boarding pass. 

I think KAL is in Terminal 1 at Narita so you might be right. (Last time I was thru there was 6 months or so ago.)

If you are going thru Narita on American and then continuing on to HAN on JAL you are in luck. That would be Terminal 2 and it’s hopping (at least it was 2 days ago.) I would not know about where to eat as I always go to the JAL lounge and it’s outstanding. I would recommend getting Suntory World Whiskey at the duty free in NRT though. (They have been selling it with a free Suntory glass the last couple of months as well.)

And as of a month or so ago Japan is pretty much open.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DallasGatr said:

And as of a month or so ago Japan is pretty much open.

I thought it was October 11.   My buddy was in the JAL lounge and he said it was dead and hardly any food.   Maybe we just caught things on an off day.    Upon leaving the KAL lounge I saw more noodle shops.   Got in late last night.  Hotel at 1130 so too late to get out for a beer.  I was pretty wiped last night anyway.