My Not So Short Story on GME

Eastwood

I know last time every single option was ITM. Has anyone on Reddit said What number would it need to close tomorrow for that to happen? 

Also I think I’m going to have to keep like 100 shares of GME in my 401k at all times just to balance out the havoc it wreaks on the market. Today was not a good day for my long holds. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

53 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I know last time every single option was ITM. Has anyone on Reddit said What number would it need to close tomorrow for that to happen? 

Also I think I’m going to have to keep like 100 shares of GME in my 401k at all times just to balance out the havoc it wreaks on the market. Today was not a good day for my long holds. 

It would have to close over $800 for every option to close ITM tomorrow. They pushed it way out. Interestingly enough, there are no strikes lower than 20 for 3/5.

2 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Reminds me of the scene in the big short...its like 2+2= fish

Every broker has it listed as hard to borrow, yet they can maneuver the price down 100$ in 2 days with no shares supposedly available???

It's GME, trying to make sense of any of it is a waste of brain effort 

13 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

Every broker has it listed as hard to borrow, yet they can maneuver the price down 100$ in 2 days with no shares supposedly available???

You and I aren't dealing with the same side of brokerage as the titans are.  Retail Brokerage and Prime Brokerage are two completely different animals.  

10 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

One way to explain the mechanics is this:

On Wednesday, a whale starts buying up a shitload of calls along the Friday options chain.  Say, at 200C, 300C, 400C strikes, and so on.

The market maker sells it to them, and buys up the stock as a hedge.  The stock price rises because of the massive buying (and the other people short the stock getting squeezed, etc).  The stock price rises increase the value of those 200C 300C 400C options.

The whale(s) flips those options onto WSB who are jumping along to hoping to get a leveraged return.  The whales pocket lots of profit.

On Friday, because those options are closer to expiration AND because it doesn't look like 300C and 400C will get breached, the risk to the market makers (who are SHORT the option) decreases, so now they start to sell away the stocks they bought as hedge.

Because they are selling away these stocks, the stock price decrease.  And it reduces their risk on the 200C and so on, so they start selling away even MORE stock that was hedging those.  It's a domino effect.

If the market maker managed their risk properly, they were completely neutral to the stock price, and they made money pocketing millions of pennies from the market-making activity (their bread and butter).  Aforementioned whales made money flipping options and/or shares.  Some other institution that shorted the shares on the other side of this trade surely got fucked.  Retailed mostly held the bag.

It's hedge fund on hedge fund violence.  Retail just went along and caught collateral damage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

One way to explain the mechanics is this:
On Wednesday, a whale starts buying up a shitload of calls along the Friday options chain.  Say, at 200C, 300C, 400C strikes, and so on.
The market maker sells it to them, and buys up the stock as a hedge.  The stock price rises because of the massive buying (and the other people short the stock getting squeezed, etc).  The stock price rises increase the value of those 200C 300C 400C options.
The whale(s) flips those options onto WSB who are jumping along to hoping to get a leveraged return.  The whales pocket lots of profit.
On Friday, because those options are closer to expiration AND because it doesn't look like 300C and 400C will get breached, the risk to the market makers (who are SHORT the option) decreases, so now they start to sell away the stocks they bought as hedge.

Because they are selling away these stocks, the stock price decrease.  And it reduces their risk on the 200C and so on, so they start selling away even MORE stock that was hedging those.  It's a domino effect.

If the market maker managed their risk properly, they were completely neutral to the stock price, and they made money pocketing millions of pennies from the market-making activity (their bread and butter).  Aforementioned whales made money flipping options and/or shares.  Some other institution that shorted the shares on the other side of this trade surely got fucked.  Retailed mostly held the bag.

It's hedge fund on hedge fund violence.  Retail just went along and caught collateral damage.
Yeah I know all that....which is why I asked where is the hedge fund on our side right above that post

I have never thought reddit had the power to swing price like reported...so it doesnt make sense that there is this much downward pressure for hedge vs hedge

1 minute ago, Bone3421 said:

Yeah I know all that....which is why I asked where is the hedge fund on our side right above that post

I have never thought reddit had the power to swing price like reported...so it doesnt make sense that there is this much downward pressure for hedge vs hedge

whichever hedge fund aligned with he long side of the trade didnt necessarily have to "fight" for GME by buying the shares

they did it by buying up the call options, which sparked the run-up, and then they flipped the options profitably, after which point they did not have to care about the share price.

• Like 1

whichever hedge fund aligned with he long side of the trade didnt necessarily have to "fight" for GME by buying the shares
they did it by buying up the call options, which sparked the run-up, and then they flipped the options profitably, after which point they did not have to care about the share price.
The higher the price the more calls itm the higher the price goes...start gamma squeeze, if they bailed sounds like a paper handed hedge lol

19 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:

The higher the price the more calls itm the higher the price goes...start gamma squeeze, if they bailed sounds like a paper handed hedge lol

if someone has access to all the flow data they could do forensics and unpack the story.  the first run up there was a legitimate squeeze due to the higher SI and more people (short side) being caught offguard.

its possible that whoever triggered this run did it in a more calculated manner.

or its a complete crap shoot cuz whales lose money all the time to.  see: the ones on the other side of this trade

if someone has access to all the flow data they could do forensics and unpack the story.  the first run up there was a legitimate squeeze due to the higher SI and more people (short side) being caught offguard.

its possible that whoever triggered this run did it in a more calculated manner.

or its a complete crap shoot cuz whales lose money all the time to.  see: the ones on the other side of this trade
Yeah the other day was a gamma squeeze buy someone that set up a call chain...figured it would still domino like last time, still might. I plan on holding over the weekend and seeing what next week brings

4 minutes ago, Bone3421 said:
29 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Yeah the other day was a gamma squeeze buy someone that set up a call chain...figured it would still domino like last time, still might. I plan on holding over the weekend and seeing what next week brings

if some dumb whale saw this as an opportunity to short the stock, maybe some other smart whale will orchestrate another run up yet again

6H3M.gif

• Like 1

Lol...I just try to go with makes sense and not into conspiracies. I could join the crazies that think it was the fed wire going down that pushed it up

It really is interesting so I'm just trying to pay attention with my little skin in the game and if I have to I'll just take my dbl up with the profits I took earlier

thats probably television "off season".  whatever detective tv shes on thats always playing on the tv, she looks pretty good from the waist up. 

whole body be looking like a pepsi bottle but again, face and tits cant be denied

thats probably television "off season".  whatever detective tv shes on thats always playing on the tv, she looks pretty good from the waist up. 

whole body be looking like a pepsi bottle but again, face and tits cant be denied
Interesting take....so

interest late spurt GME at the last hour of the day.  i didn watch the option chain develop, so i dont know how it was triggered, but there was definitely massive volume at the 200, 250, 300 call levels , some with volume exceeding (previous day) open interest. 

i tried to hitch a ride but was too late and lost out a bit.  did sell some more puts on it which should turn out good

interest late spurt GME at the last hour of the day.  i didn watch the option chain develop, so i dont know how it was triggered, but there was definitely massive volume at the 200, 250, 300 call levels , some with volume exceeding (previous day) open interest. 
i tried to hitch a ride but was too late and lost out a bit.  did sell some more puts on it which should turn out good
Probably a combo of renewed faith/hype and it being on the short restriction list today...see how much the shorters can get/keep it down tomorrow

I'm a noob....when you sell a put are you wanting price to go up to profit correct??? Dont think it would be like a regular put since you sold it to someone else...

Anyone playing the Rocket squeeze? I know, insert mom joke here, but seriously. 

The irony of going to the moon on Rocket...
I have a small position but by the time I got in it was almost $29. Still, the company has good fundamentals so I don't mind even if there is no squeeze.

2 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

Anyone playing the Rocket squeeze? I know, insert mom joke here, but seriously. 

The irony of going to the moon on Rocket...

I missed it - sort of.  Made money selling the puts , closed after earnings.

Last night I saw the heavy option order flow and put in order for calls at 37$ each.  I was only able to fill for a single call - price went to 41$ and i didnt want to chase the fill.

This morning those calls are $250 each.  6.7x overnight :(:(:(

11 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Probably a combo of renewed faith/hype and it being on the short restriction list today...see how much the shorters can get/keep it down tomorrow

I'm a noob....when you sell a put are you wanting price to go up to profit correct??? Dont think it would be like a regular put since you sold it to someone else...

yes.  you sell a put to open up a position on a stock.  (short position = -1 put).  when stock goes up, the puts become less valuable.  then you buy the puts back to close position.  (-1 put  +1put = 0)

the difference between this and buying a call long, or buying the stock long, is if the stock doenst move substantially your way, youre still theoretically "earning" money from the time-value of the option decaying

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Fuck it.  Just bought 10 March 12 $30 call options for 3.42  

My NGA.  Im on the 35C.

Folks need to look at this option chain.  This is expiring next week, not this friday.

Circle is daily traded volume.  next to it is open existing - meaning existing calls.

TONS of new calls above current price has been opened up today.  This is potentially fuel for the rocket.

image.thumb.png.4068f56d74b45ae859bd0d2b9ba13901.png

To be clear, we dont know if this "fuel" is already used to sustain the current $30 pricing, or if thats setting up for a further sustained run.... quantitative folks actually have tools to measure 2nd order derivatives and look at vanna and vega and all that shit to predict reflexive action... but this is def looking bullish

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

My NGA.  Im on the 35C.

Folks need to look at this option chain.  This is expiring next week, not this friday.

Circle is daily traded volume.  next to it is open existing - meaning existing calls.

TONS of new calls above current price has been opened up today.  This is potentially fuel for the rocket.

image.thumb.png.4068f56d74b45ae859bd0d2b9ba13901.png

To be clear, we dont know if this "fuel" is already used to sustain the current $30 pricing, or if thats setting up for a further sustained run.... quantitative folks actually have tools to measure 2nd order derivatives and look at vanna and vega and all that shit to predict reflexive action... but this is def looking bullish

is it any surprise?  "they" filled out the options chain from 30-35 compared to last screenshot, which was new fuel to the rocket

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 7.16.19 PM.png

• Hook 'Em 1