2021 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Didn't realize how subpar Missouri has been doing since moving to the SEC.  They had a decent run there for awhile in the 2000's, regionals pretty much every year.  KSU should be able to sweep their 4 remaining non-conf. games and if they can take 4 or 5 of 6 from Baylor and Oklahoma (not out of the question considering how poorly those two teams are playing right now, and can avoid the TCU sweep, and can win a 2+ games in OKC.....they can make the tournament for the first time in a decade.  That's a lot of ifs, but not terribly unrealistic.  

I think we get two Super hosts, 1 regional host in Tech, OSU makes an at-large comfortably, and then a toss-up between Baylor and KSU and I think KSU makes it happen (wishful thinking mainly because I want them to be playing for a lot on the line with TCU the last weekend of the regular season and give us some help). 

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Didn't realize how subpar Missouri has been doing since moving to the SEC.  They had a decent run there for awhile in the 2000's, regionals pretty much every year.  KSU should be able to sweep their 4 remaining non-conf. games and if they can take 4 or 5 of 6 from Baylor and Oklahoma (not out of the question considering how poorly those two teams are playing right now, and can avoid the TCU sweep, and can win a 2+ games in OKC.....they can make the tournament for the first time in a decade.  That's a lot of ifs, but not terribly unrealistic.  

I think we get two Super hosts, 1 regional host in Tech, OSU makes an at-large comfortably, and then a toss-up between Baylor and KSU and I think KSU makes it happen (wishful thinking mainly because I want them to be playing for a lot on the line with TCU the last weekend of the regular season and give us some help). 

BU has 13 won out of 16 including a series win in Lubbock last week. Also KSU has an RPI of 113 (Hosting a 3 game set with #290 Texas Southern will drop that even with a sweep) so they aren't making the postseason unless they do something unrealistic. They already played OU so their remaining series are @ Baylor, @ Kansas, & TCU. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

Yeah, didn't realize Baylor is hotter than KSU.  I just want the wildcats to have something on the line to play for when they host TCU to close the season so they can at least avoid being swept and maybe shock the conference and take the series 2-1.  We're gonna help that last weekend, I can feel it.  

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

RPI is weird this year though, it might not be as big of an issue for KSU as it normally would be.

It sure is, but I still don't see much hope for KSU unless they can sweep BU & KU and get 2 out of 3 from TCU. Even then I think they may need to do damage in the tournament. 

Guest Lobo

TCU takes it 8-2.  We are one full game back in the Big XII.  Morgantown has beautiful baseball weather tomorrow, Austin does not.  Real good chance we're down 1.5 games this time tomorrow.  Sunday shall be our equalizer.  

59 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

That's how baseball go

It do be like that sometimes.

Speaking of that, if the rain doesn't stop the game on Saturday I feel like it might have gone our way, but Tech played above their mean. Some great plays in the outfield and timely hitting. Hopefully we get to say that the rest of the year. Here's to taking care of business in Ft. Worth. 

2 hours ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Win the series against TCU or no conference title and no super regional host. 4th year with a new coach we should win the conference no excuses. Hope he pulls it out. 

If we lose 2 of 3 it would still be possible to tie them if we sweep WVU and they get swept by KSU.   But yeah.

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

Speaking of that, if the rain doesn't stop the game on Saturday I feel like it might have gone our way, but Tech played above their mean. Some great plays in the outfield and timely hitting. Hopefully we get to say that the rest of the year. Here's to taking care of business in Ft. Worth. 

I didn't read the game thread but it really felt like Tadlock was drawing everything out hoping for them to call it. 

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

If we lose 2 of 3 it would still be possible to tie them if we sweep WVU and they get swept by KSU.   But yeah.

I appreciate your optimism but we don’t take 2 outta 3 this weekend, we’re not taking the flag and we may even be reduced to borderline top 8 seed depending on how last couple weeks shake out

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I appreciate your optimism but we don’t take 2 outta 3 this weekend, we’re not taking the flag and we may even be reduced to borderline top 8 seed depending on how last couple weeks shake out

I hope there is a missing "if" in that first clause, otherwise you seem like kind of a bummer.  It's ridiculous to write off us winning 2/3 completely at this point.

3 hours ago, Droopy said:

Did Tech play "above their mean" in 1 win or both wins? They are the #8 team in the country. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Did Tech play "above their mean" in 1 win or both wins? They are the #8 team in the country. 

I think we are just butthurt about being robbed of so many extra base hits by your outfielders. But hey maybe Tech does that all the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

For good reason.   Tech is good.

Very competitive playing with a MASH unit after losing 3 key pitchers (key starter Birdsell) a key player in Neuse, and others.   Been to the CWS 4 of the last 5 years.   One of best  coaches in college baseball.

They may implode down the stretch if the injuries finally show,  but give them credit.

Sometimes we have to tip our hats !

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Maybe we were playing above our mean.....to go into Austin and win the series and then earlier in the year lose a series at home against Baylor and then a series in Manhattan.

Eh. All I know is, y'all came to town last weekend and kicked some butt.

Rollercoaster results are kind of the norm for everyone, aren't they? The best teams just don't wallow as long in the troughs.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Maybe we were playing above our mean.....to go into Austin and win the series and then earlier in the year lose a series at home against Baylor and then a series in Manhattan.

It was like the 2019 series in reverse. Texas just flat out didn’t play their best baseball and y’all seemingly played above y’all’s heads. Congrats on the series win, y’all earned it. It’s baseball. This kind of shit happens all the time 

Guest Lobo

IWU at TCU was cancelled.  I'm really hoping it's not a Covid-19 thing for TCU.  We need to play this weekend for a number of reasons.  

21 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Damn, sensitive. Does your outfield play out of their minds like they did on Friday? If so, congrats. I was just pointing out that they played a perfect game on Friday. Everything broke their way. Take a compliment.

20 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

I think we are just butthurt about being robbed of so many extra base hits by your outfielders. But hey maybe Tech does that all the time.

Not butthurt at all. I realize Tech is highly ranked and did what it took to win the series. See above, but their fielding and timely hitting was tremendous. Our pitch, which normally is tremendous, was not. 

19 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

I realize you're hyper sensitive when playing Texas and that any perceived slight is tantamount to a Texas fan kicking your favorite aunt, but try and understand what it was that I was saying before just assuming it was some back-handed compliment. Tech is good. They did what they had to do, which in my opinion, was play stellar defense and have timely hitting. Good luck, and I hope your team continues to shine, until we meet again.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

IWU at TCU was cancelled.  I'm really hoping it's not a Covid-19 thing for TCU.  We need to play this weekend for a number of reasons.  

Called the TCU ticket office.

Game was cancelled by mutual decision due to travel.    TCU just returned from Morgantown and IWU from Thibodaux, La playing Nichols (long bus trip).

Sounds as if TCU wanted to rest before Texas series,  and also not take chance of affecting their RPI.   They went from #2 to #3,  jumped by Miss St.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Droopy said:

Damn, sensitive. Does your outfield play out of their minds like they did on Friday? If so, congrats. I was just pointing out that they played a perfect game on Friday. Everything broke their way. Take a compliment.

Not butthurt at all. I realize Tech is highly ranked and did what it took to win the series. See above, but their fielding and timely hitting was tremendous. Our pitch, which normally is tremendous, was not. 

I realize you're hyper sensitive when playing Texas and that any perceived slight is tantamount to a Texas fan kicking your favorite aunt, but try and understand what it was that I was saying before just assuming it was some back-handed compliment. Tech is good. They did what they had to do, which in my opinion, was play stellar defense and have timely hitting. Good luck, and I hope your team continues to shine, until we meet again.

lol. I think you're the one being sensitive. Seems other posters don't have a problem with my recent posts but you. Let the men talk about Baseball.

3 hours ago, torre said:

Called the TCU ticket office.

Game was cancelled by mutual decision due to travel.    TCU just returned from Morgantown and IWU from Thibodaux, La playing Nichols (long bus trip).

Sounds as if TCU wanted to rest before Texas series,  and also not take chance of affecting their RPI.   They went from #2 to #3,  jumped by Miss St.

Pussies.

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

lol. I think you're the one being sensitive. Seems other posters don't have a problem with my recent posts but you. Let the men talk about Baseball.

Oh know, my manhood was questioned. I guess I’ll go knit in a corner while the men wax poetic about how Tech played a completely normal game and didn't have “web gem”-like catches in the outfield and timely hitting. 

Did you have anything to add to your point that Tech wasn’t playing above their mean, or does your frontal lobe only allow for contrived machismo bullshit when confronted with an idea you perceive as a threat? 

Enjoy the rest of your team’s season.  

• Hook 'Em 1