The US and Korea

RomaVicta

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

North Korean state media is reporting that Kim Jong-Un appeared at the opening of a fertilizer factory today. No photos were provided. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52508437

Watching PBS NewsHour they said South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported the same. The South Koreans have been pretty steady in their reporting that they had no evidence that Kim was dead. 

Oh shit.

• Haha 1

North Korean state media is reporting that Kim Jong-Un appeared at the opening of a fertilizer factory today. No photos were provided. 
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52508437
Watching PBS NewsHour they said South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported the same. The South Koreans have been pretty steady in their reporting that they had no evidence that Kim was dead. 

Pics or it didn’t happen.
  • Haha 1

It will be messy if he is dead. I can't see his sister taking his place for long, as in traditional Korean culture, which North Korea retains, women just are not valued.  I can't see a bunch of NK generals and high level bureaucrats taking orders from his sister for very long unless she ends up a puppet for someone stronger. Even then, not sure the NK populace would really be on board with a female leader either.  Traditionally, they throw parties when they find out a boy baby is being expected, but nothing for a female baby. Boys belong to their family and girls belong to the husband's family once they marry, so boys take care of you when you are old and girls take care of their in-laws. It was a big reason why SK had the male/female population imbalance in births once technology to tell the baby's sex came on the scene. Girl babies were aborted. Traditional Korean culture is based on Confucianism similar to Chinese culture.

Luckily, South Korea has westernized in many ways in it's views towards women. It is kind of in the same place the USA was in the 80s and 90s with women gaining power in politics and the workplace, but still facing some resistance from traditionalist. Now days most Koreans of reproductive age, that I know, actually prefer girls (better behaved, better students) to boys as the old ways are pushed to the side, but their parents usually have the traditional preference for boys over girls.

56 minutes ago, Jhawkmvp said:

It will be messy if he is dead. I can't see his sister taking his place for long, as in traditional Korean culture, which North Korea retains, women just are not valued.  I can't see a bunch of NK generals and high level bureaucrats taking orders from his sister for very long unless she ends up a puppet for someone stronger. Even then, not sure the NK populace would really be on board with a female leader either.  Traditionally, they throw parties when they find out a boy baby is being expected, but nothing for a female baby. Boys belong to their family and girls belong to the husband's family once they marry, so boys take care of you when you are old and girls take care of their in-laws. It was a big reason why SK had the male/female population imbalance in births once technology to tell the baby's sex came on the scene. Girl babies were aborted. Traditional Korean culture is based on Confucianism similar to Chinese culture.

Luckily, South Korea has westernized in many ways in it's views towards women. It is kind of in the same place the USA was in the 80s and 90s with women gaining power in politics and the workplace, but still facing some resistance from traditionalist. Now days most Koreans of reproductive age, that I know, actually prefer girls (better behaved, better students) to boys as the old ways are pushed to the side, but their parents usually have the traditional preference for boys over girls.

While I mostly agree with you, like many countries we are supposedly ahead of on gender rights, South Korea has already had a female leader.  We probably have a 50/50 shot of making it past 2050 while still never having a female leader.  We still pretty much operate by "separate but equal" rules, but our diversity of interest and ethnicity allows that to generate sizable markets most of the time.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, FondrenRoad said:

While I mostly agree with you, like many countries we are supposedly ahead of on gender rights, South Korea has already had a female leader.  We probably have a 50/50 shot of making it past 2050 while still never having a female leader.  We still pretty much operate by "separate but equal" rules, but our diversity of interest and ethnicity allows that to generate sizable markets most of the time.

I was surprised by that as well when it happened; however, they also impeached and imprisoned her pretty quickly for some stuff that is pretty standard in politics and business in SK. Her father, Park Chung-hee was a popular, if controversial, dictator among the moderates and conservatives in Korea so she got a bump from that when she ran as well. He is credited by many in SK has being the driving force behind Korea's rags to riches rise, but severely oppressed civil rights and political expression. As time goes by fewer Koreans who actually suffered the negative repercussions of his dictatorship survive, his popularity has increased among the populace for the economic progress that younger Koreans benefit from today.

• 1 year later...