John Chaney dead

Pancho

• Pancho changed the title to John Chaney dead

I hate to say it but my prevailing memory of Chaney was when he ended some kid's entire career just because he was mad at the officials. he sent "some of his goons in" to send a message to the refs, and they ended up breaking the arm of some senior player for BC or something like that. Pretty despicable, and all I really think of when I think of him. 

I hate to say it but my prevailing memory of Chaney was when he ended some kid's entire career just because he was mad at the officials. he sent "some of his goons in" to send a message to the refs, and they ended up breaking the arm of some senior player for BC or something like that. Pretty despicable, and all I really think of when I think of him. 

17 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Somewhere John Calipari feels just a little bit safer

5-10 on the season, lost to UL, pissed off 'billies, he ain't feeling safe.  

Mark Macon was a hell of a player for his Temple team. 

Edited by Underdog

John Chaney was a very driven human being. We all remember watching his teams play and how he built every team on playing defense. Some people found him to be abrasive, but I look at the totality of his life and always thought he was like that because he came from nothing and from the segregation era. Those two things formed who he was. Playing at Bethune-Cookman had a gigantic impact upon his life and it showed in how he mentored and became a father figure to so many of his players. Seeing Aaron McKie, one of the greatest players he ever coached, back leading the Owls is a pretty cool thing that Chaney made possible. 

Everyone remembers the shouting match with Calipari, but how many people realize they became very good friends and Chaney was a mentor of sorts to him? Huge loss for his coaching accomplishments, but a bigger loss for the human being he was.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

John Chaney was a very driven human being. We all remember watching his teams play and how he built every team on playing defense. Some people found him to be abrasive, but I look at the totality of his life and always thought he was like that because he came from nothing and from the segregation era. Those two things formed who he was. Playing at Bethune-Cookman had a gigantic impact upon his life and it showed in how he mentored and became a father figure to so many of his players. Seeing Aaron McKie, one of the greatest players he ever coached, back leading the Owls is a pretty cool thing that Chaney made possible. 

Everyone remembers the shouting match with Calipari, but how many people realize they became very good friends and Chaney was a mentor of sorts to him? Huge loss for his coaching accomplishments, but a bigger loss for the human being he was.

Great post. He also did something that probably has never been done before. If I remember correctly, he used to have his team practice at 6 AM. Then they would shower, go eat breakfast and go to class. After class, they would study then be in bed by 9-10. Chaney said that he always knew where his kids were at night. Thats amazing.

• Hook 'Em 1