100 hour work weeks

22 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The people that put in the extra hours and do great work are the best assets to have. 

The people that put in extra hours and produce an equivalent amount of extra work are great assets.  But a guy that produces an amount in 40 hours is better than the guy that takes 70 hours to accomplish the same tasks.

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The people that put in extra hours and produce an equivalent amount of extra work are great assets.  But a guy that produces an amount in 40 hours is better than the guy that takes 70 hours to accomplish the same tasks.

Yep, and if you can motivate the 40 hour guy into working 50, he makes the 70 hour guy look like a chump.  

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

This is very true.  Just logging hours gets you only so far.  You have to show something for it.  I can be incredibly efficient in a 40-50-60 hour week and produce quite a lot, but it doesn't scale up to 80-90-100.  My efficiency falls way off.  I worked with a couple of people that were great at logging hours and weren't terribly "ethical" about it, but my work product was better so it never hurt me.  Of course, some of it depends on what you're doing.  With certain aspects of litigation, there's almost no way to correlate hours and work product.

Never confuse activity with achievement.

-My typical response to douche canoes bragging about crazy amount of hours worked relative to peers in same field.

I did between 16-20 a day for 69 days offshore Mexico once. I was the office liaison (field/project engineer) so I had to be up for the majority of both shifts. I slept from 0200-0600 everyday. Our supt would average about half of that. I still can't figure out how he stayed awake so much, 30 days at a time. 

Im down to ~65 now, in office. It sucks. Need to get back into a 9/80 situation. 

I coach one kids baseball team, volunteer at the other kids school, I’m an occasional scoutmaster, I mountain bike a couple times a week, and keep a girlfriend happy.  When work offers up extra time, at a pretty penny... meh, I got better things to do.

And I love my job, it’s my dream job, partly because I’m not expected  to break my back doing it. 

I like working 60+ hour weeks. 

I have worked regularly 60+ hour weeks for over a decade with many months in the 70-90+ hour range.

I now sit in an exec role so hard to actually fill work with 60+ hours of real effort so most of my time now is travel.

Edited by Washpark