Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

On 2/2/2021 at 8:04 AM, Mo Horn said:

Eligible due to my job... but I'm well over 50, if you want to start a tally.  

Ha.  Kind of the reason I was asking is I have the opportunity to get it next week due to a board I serve on (not in TX).  I want it, but am 40's and healthy.  I've been told that I won't be taking anyone's spot and that they aren't turning any patients away.  Then I read stories about older folks trying to get it but can't.  

On one hand, I'm an active father of three, who tries to be smart about things but am still all over the place as they are in school and involved in multiple activities.  Its not like there's zero benefit to society in me getting the vaccine.  I'd be one less person out and about that can't spread. Everyone I am close to and/or work with that is 65+ has gotten the first one, so I don't have someone specific I could give my spot to (I don't think that's an option anyway).

On the other hand, I know I'll feel guilty as hell if I get it, so a big part of me wants to decline just out of principle.  I've gone back and forth about 30 times since Monday.

Edited by Don Johnson

Had both rounds Pfizer. Only symptom with the 1st was a sore arm, similar to the flu shot. The second? A more sore arm @ 24hrs that lasted a day (I’d liken it to getting plunked in little league) and maybe slight fatigue (I stayed up late both days binging SW Rebels so I’m not sure it was due to the shot.) That’s it. 

Wife (no pics) had Moderna. Sore arm with the 1st the next day, again she likened it to the flu shot. The day of her second she had body aches (she likened it to the flu) and a very sore arm. The next day she felt better, and they were gone by day three. 

We’re both in healthcare and got it through our employers, so I imagine it was far smoother than gen pop. Neither her or I had any hesitation getting it. I care for anywhere from 3 to 10 CoVID patients a week and have two conditions (asthma and A+ blood) that would make CoVID probably hit me harder than the average 40-ish male in decent-to-good shape. 

Edited by Dutch
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Ha.  Kind of the reason I was asking is I have the opportunity to get it next week due to a board I serve on (not in TX).  I want it, but am 40's and healthy.  I've been told that I won't be taking anyone's spot and that they aren't turning any patients away.  Then I read stories about older folks trying to get it but can't.  

On one hand, I'm an active father of three, who tries to be smart about things but am still all over the place as they are in school and involved in multiple activities.  Its not like there's zero benefit to society in me getting the vaccine.  I'd be one less person out and about that can't spread. Everyone I am close to and/or work with that is 65+ has gotten the first one, so I don't have someone specific I could give my spot to (I don't think that's an option anyway).

On the other hand, I know I'll feel guilty as hell if I get it, so a big part of me wants to decline just out of principle.  I've gone back and forth about 30 times since Monday.

I had the same debate. We are an agency that directly supports individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, which is how we qualify. I am a supervisor and actually never see anyone, except my staff who do see people. So I debated about getting it, but in the end felt I should since I interact with staff, plus as you say, one less person in the community. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/2/2021 at 10:13 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

When I have a decent answer I'll tell you.  When I ask, I get lots of near-random shit like "American company," "developed with NIH," "specializes in this type of biotech," etc.  Waiting for "it's first in alphabetical order."

For some reason he just doesn't trust Pfizer's vaccine as much.  I don't think it's "zee Germans" - it's not like he fought at Normandy.

I think the Pfizer founder came over to America from Germany before the Civil War so I think he and the company qualify as Americans now. Maybe Bill the Butcher would still consider them dirty immigrants.

Glad that he got the Moderna shot.

Is there any evidence or science behind the fact that some people get hard side effects with their second because their body made all the anti-bodies on the first shot?  And the people who don't are the ones whose body did not create anti-bodies on the first shot?

Got my second Moderna shot today - nothing yet, but I expect tomorrow to be the side-effect day.

Our situation was weird as our Dr. asked all his patients last year if they wanted to be on the list to be vaccinated. We obviously both said yes and he got over 1000 doses in early January and they called us on the 5th to come in on the 6th.

It's a testament to how screwed up this process is. For some reason, our provider got a shitload of vaccine and put it in all of the arms he could. We shouldn't be getting it yet, but since he got so much, he just distributed everything he could.

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said: 

...father of three,

For me it doesn’t get any more simple than this.  I too am a father of three.  My number one job in this world is taking care of my girls.  When I had a chance to get the vaccine I took it regardless of all the surrounding noise.  They come first.  It also doesn’t hurt that I’m 1B and looked for the vaccine the same way I’m looking for a fucking PS5.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

For me it doesn’t get any more simple than this.  I too am a father of three.  My number one job in this world is taking care of my girls.  When I had a chance to get the vaccine I took it regardless of all the surrounding noise.  They come first.  It also doesn’t hurt that I’m 1B and looked for the vaccine the same way I’m looking for a fucking PS5.

That’s exactly why I only hesitated about 90s before I got into the website and booked a time to get the shot, when my wife called on a tip from the school nurse that CP had openings.  My number one priority is my family and if I got sick, was out of commission (or worse) I’d be a detriment to everyone at home.  

Im borderline 1B and my kids are 4/7,  thus unable to take care of themselves beyond an hour or two staring at tablets.  If my kids were older, say 10+ I’d have likely waited. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

First shot gave me a little fever and just the same shoulder soreness everyone else seems to note.  No big deal.  The second one kinda fucked me up for about a day and a half.  Really bad chills the first night and then body aches starting in the morning like someone had spent the previous day kicking my ass. 

E:  Thinking about it, the body aches may have been from spending hours shivering.  Like a shitty full body workout that went on way too long.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

My parents are medical professionals and they've received both shots.  First one, no side effects. Second one, they had chills the rest of the day and were lethargic. Cleared up in a couple of days. Their whole staff has also received both shots and all of them reported symptoms after the second shot. Some of them even had to call in sick the next couple days to recover but all eventually did recover.

I, on the other hand, am a single 30 year old with no pre-existing conditions and work from home. I believe that puts me in phase 76w. Looking forward to getting the vaccine in Q3 of 2023!

What are these 1A, 1B, etc, categories?  I mean, they appear to be priority levels (or however you want to say it) for getting the shots, but how do you know which one you're in? 

They just sent everyone an email at my work saying you can go get it if you want.  You had to sign up and all that to schedule it, but everyone who did, as far as I know, was able to get one.  

E:  Ah I see here:  https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/categories-essential-workers.html  No patient contact or anything like that for me, but they're "medical laboratories."  And there are clinics and shit here too, with people coming and going between the buildings, the VA and University Hospital, etc, so it makes sense that everyone gets it.  

Edited by MadBurgerMaker

I'm 47, reasonably healthy and father of 3. I have a special set of skills for finding hard to find things. Got the vaccine yesterday after debating it for the last month. I didn't have to falsify anything, but I'm sure I got it in front of some who are more at risk.

I ultimately decided that at this point, anyone who is 1A or 1B in the state can get one if they truly want one.  Amarillo is first come, first serve for 1A / 1B.  You are guaranteed to get one if you go up there on a Monday.  If you aren't willing to make that drive, then I don't feel too sorry for you if you are indeed at high risk.  It is literally a life or death situation and people are like "well, that sounds too hard I'll just wait until I can get one in Travis County".

Well sorry, not sorry. I'm going to take initiative to remove this black cloud of depression, anxiety and risk that is hanging over me and my family.

As an aside,  I also think relying on an honor system for something like this is absolute BS - especially coupled with a very loose and liberal 1B definition that favors people who have not taken care of their health for their whole life.  People shouldn't have to feel guilty about looking after their physical and mental health.  If it is important enough to control distribution, then it is important enough to establish enforceable controls - like distributing by age.  \Rant

• Like 1

I haven't tried to sign up, was thinking I'd just wait my turn. I am social distancing and masking and haven't been really around anyone in weeks so I can wait until March and then give it a go. I heard on NPR that CVS and one of the other big pharmacy stores are gearing up to offer it so I might just try sooner at the CVS since I shop there anyway, once they get the shipments. 

It really doesn't change anything. We are still going to have to keep masking and social distancing and being careful. Life isn't going to go back to giant concerts with 1000s of my friends or even 100s of 'em. I don't feel the need to fret about waiting since I'll have to continue to act the same anyway. 

I do want to be vaccinated before they force the kids back in school for sure but I don't see that happening until 3rd quarter. 

One kind of surprising thing was that when I told my elderly mom I got vaccinated she started cheering and getting emotion on the phone. I’m the last of my family and in-laws to get it and hadn’t even considered that others were worrying about me to some degree.

I got my first Pfizer shot this evening. I’ll report back tomorrow night with any symptoms. My wife put me on the waiting list in Killeen about 3 weeks ago and I got a call that there were some cancellations. I rushed right over after work and was in/out in about 30 minutes. Pretty easy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I got my first Pfizer shot this evening. I’ll report back tomorrow night with any symptoms. My wife put me on the waiting list in Killeen about 3 weeks ago and I got a call that there were some cancellations. I rushed right over after work and was in/out in about 30 minutes. Pretty easy. 

As noted prior the key symptom most of us have had shortly after the first dose is the inability to shut up about it for a couple days.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think the Pfizer founder came over to America from Germany before the Civil War so I think he and the company qualify as Americans now. Maybe Bill the Butcher would still consider them dirty immigrants.

Glad that he got the Moderna shot.

Yeah, all's well that ends well I guess, but he could have had his second shot by now if he hadn't done that.

Arm got more sore as the night wore on last night.  Thought I got lucky.  Nope feel like I got hit by a truck today.  Assume I will feel better tomorrow.  So much better than the possible alternative.

Also, info from APH.

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/austin-public-health-limits-days-to-sign-up-for-vaccine-appointments/269-bec7779a-34e3-411b-9b18-a12d9e79fd03?fbclid=IwAR2FtRcC-QjdGuPLjdAQJZa-xi5qgYX4NbMEVKi24Xp0M_XPkpUpyxOKSrI

Got first dose Moderna at Delco center today at noon. 50 minutes from entering the parking lot to exit. So far no symptoms, but I'm sure I'll start to ache before long. 

I had flash backs to getting the Polio Vaccine at Maplewood Elementary School gym...so you know how I qualified this time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I ultimately decided that at this point, anyone who is 1A or 1B in the state can get one if they truly want one.  Amarillo is first come, first serve for 1A / 1B.  You are guaranteed to get one if you go up there on a Monday.  If you aren't willing to make that drive, then I don't feel too sorry for you if you are indeed at high risk.  It is literally a life or death situation and people are like "well, that sounds too hard I'll just wait until I can get one in Travis County".

I ultimately decided this is a phenomenally shitty take.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2021 at 5:59 PM, HookEm said:

Amarillo is literally a 11 hour round trip drive from Dallas, 15 hour round trip drive from Austin or San Antonio and 18 hour round trip from Houston. So yes, the 94 and 92 year old who I know who live in rural Texas absolutely can get it if they are willing to drive 15 hours round trip, spend the money to get a hotel for multiple nights, get up at the crack of dawn, and wait in line! Sounds like they just don't have the #Want to get the vaccination enough!

This is one of the dumbest takes I have read in the history of this site.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I get your sentiment and can agree to a point.  But there are only ~390,000 people 85+ in the state and most of them (especially the immobile ones) are living in living in long-term care facilities and have already been vaccinated. I don't personally know anyone 90+ who hasn't been vaccinated yet.  Do you?

I'm more talking about the people 70+ who are retired. These are the people I know who are complaining about not getting the vaccine. If you were capable of driving from Tyler to Houston, flying to Ft. Lauderdale and waiting in line 3 hours to get on your cruise, then you are capable of driving to Amarillo and getting in line.  I mentioned Amarillo, but there are vaccines available in pockets around the state if people are willing to hustle and drive. 

I get that this demographic may not be tech savvy enough to navigate these waters, so they need people our age helping them. I got 4 older folks signed up and vaccinated just yesterday.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, HookEm said:

I get your sentiment and can agree to a point.  But there are only ~390,000 people 85+ in the state and most of them (especially the immobile ones) are living in living in long-term care facilities and have already been vaccinated. I don't personally know anyone 90+ who hasn't been vaccinated yet.  Do you?

I'm more talking about the people 70+ who are retired. These are the people I know who are complaining about not getting the vaccine. If you were capable of driving from Tyler to Houston, flying to Ft. Lauderdale and waiting in line 3 hours to get on your cruise, then you are capable of driving to Amarillo and getting in line.  I mentioned Amarillo, but there are vaccines available in pockets around the state if people are willing to hustle and drive. 

I get that this demographic may not be tech savvy enough to navigate these waters, so they need people our age helping them. I got 4 older folks signed up and vaccinated just yesterday.

there is absolutely a citation needed for that "most of them" comment because as someone in healthcare, this is absolutely not the case.

I don't personally know anyone 90+ who hasn't been vaccinated yet.  Do you?

i know of multiple, yes.

thanks for helping people - but you act like this is just not an issue. there are lots of folks who are willing to drive 4 hours round trip to get it. but stop acting like being willing to take a day trip vs drive 15 hours round trip is reasonable and that "anyone who is 1A or 1B in the state can get one if they truly want one"

it isn't the case.

what if you are 1B, aged 50 with COPD in Dallas and work full time. is the expectation that you can just pick up and drive 11 hours round trip to get your shot and step away form work?

honestly, you have next to zero understanding of the situation, the difficulties around giving/getting shots from a global/state perspective or a local/mass vacc site perspective. there is no clarity week to week on how many shots a site will receive, why they only get so many, the timing (Moderna expires ~6 hours after being drawn from the importance of timing), etc

i am glad you are able to get the shot and get folks signed up, thank you for helping them!

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

My mom is 90 and lives alone in Houston.  She's been pretty much locked away since this thing started.  She is completely technologically illiterate.  To date I have been unable to get her an appointment.

I got dose 2 of Moderna about this time yesterday at HEB.  Tired and very sore arm last night.  Very fatigued, low grade fever (99.5), and general just not feeling great today.  I am working and it is manageable with OTCs.  Of the 4 of us who got dose 2 yesterday, 1 called in sick and the other 3 of us are not feeling 100%, but not absolutely horrible either.  I will be happy to get in bed to sleep tonight.

it feels awesome to have both doses done!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1