Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

Houston and East Texas folk, Orange and Hardin counties have open appointments for ANYONE. I know at least adult who is not a 1A/1B/teacher but got the shot there, and know another who made an appointment for Tuesday.

Needles in shoulders is how we will win. Do it for the rest of us and go get pricked you pricks.8173639eb029456094c350d400349c88.jpg

• Like 1

Just a bit of followup, wife was able to walk-in and get the Astra Zeneca vaccine a little over a week ago. She was sick with a fever and body aches for three days, and her arm and shoulder were likewise sore for another two more. Today (9 days I think) is the first day that she feels fine and looks fine. She's now looking forward to getting the second one over and done with. Me, I'm going to wait for the J&J one to be approved here and probably go for that. I figure that by the time whatever category I belong to finally gets the go ahead, it should be availiable.

Edited by ouflak

50 minutes ago, ouflak said:

Just a bit of followup, wife was able to walk-in and get the Astra Zeneca vaccine a little over a week ago. She was sick with a fever and body aches for three days, and her arm and shoulder were likewise sore for another two more. Today (9 days I think) is the first day that she feels fine and looks fine. She's now looking forward to getting the second one over and done with. Me, I'm going to wait for the J&J one to be approved here and probably go for that. I figure that by the time whatever category I belong to finally gets the go ahead, it should be availiable.

The AstraZeneca vaccine is not authorized in the US yet. May never be, since they haven’t even applied. 

Are you in the US, or just confused?

Mrs. Brat’s shoulder was still a bit sore & red yesterday, but Tylenol mitigated any discomfort. She even slept well on that side last night.

i was going to go by Kelly Reeves this morning to see if they would gimme the 2nd shot after dropping off the wife at her church at 7am. But read the above notice it was an invitation only for those who got the first jab before Feb. 4th. Mine was on the 8th.

I did get an email notification last night to reregister for my second shot to be given later this week.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hornian said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine is not authorized in the US yet. May never be, since they haven’t even applied. 

Are you in the US, or just confused?

I'm in the United Kingdom.

Edited by ouflak
  • Hook 'Em 1

Had a birthday party for my daughter yesterday. Multiple people there had been vaccinated in small towns around San Antonio no problems. Places like Carrizo Springs. I would check towns like that if you’re having trouble getting a shot that you want. 

Just got my J&J shot. Sitting here for 15 mins before they let me go. Easy process through CVS, one guy was just leaving his 15 minute wait as I got checked in, nobody here now but me. I guess they're spaced 15 or 20 minutes apart.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Pfizer Pfirst shot on Thursday afternoon.  Drank the night before, drank the day after because Qanon told me to.  

Arm was sore as shit as was upper back/shoulders on both sides from Thursday evening to Saturday morning.  Otherwise, felt fine.  Wife was super fatigued though and had some breathing tightness.  She's fine though.  Hadn't thought about my shoulder until about 6:30am this morning.  Thankfully, sleeping Lobo kept off his left arm at night.  But I rolled onto it this morning at sunrise and holy shit, it hurt.  But feels fine again, been doing yardwork since before Church today and feels totally fine.  Had wine last night and outside/garage beers today and haven't needed a pain reliever or anything. 

I recommend rolling your upper back on a yoga roller or tennis ball/rubber ball or something the night after you get it.  You can't help the soreness at the injection site, but upper back and shoulder blades really clench up.  Rolling for several minutes on a roller and then a ball really helped the second night.  And try to watch how you sleep (easier said than done, I know).  But all in all, first one was even easier than I thought it'd be, 3-day weekend of getting shit done around the house and boozing because everybody thought we'd be laid up sick after the shot.  

All that said, I'm guessing we'll be knocked down a fair bit after the second shot.  I have no misconceptions about it, we have them spaced out on Friday (me in the morning, she in the late afternoon).  We're planning to take turns with the kids while the other is laid up in bed for 48 hours.  It'll be second weekend of the NCAA Tourney (hopefully UT makes it to at least the Sweet 16) plus the Dell Match play broadcast on TV in Austin, so plenty of reasons to lay on the couch while telling the two little ones to grill Daddy a steak.  Definitely not drinking around the second dose.  I don't smoke marijuana, but seems like that could be fun with those other symptoms y'all described.  How do I get that?  I can get a heavy dose of the deadliest pandemic in 100 years shot straight into my bloodstream for the common good, but I can't have a hit off a joint because of the Baptists?  Makes sense.  

Edited by Lobo

Had moderna first shot February 8 and had no symptoms except a sore arm

Got the second one Friday afternoon and woke up Saturday morning with a 103 degree fever and shivering uncontrollably. Have not felt like that since having the flu as a kid.

Took some Advil and ate some soup and a couple hours later the fever was completely gone but I was still somewhat shivering, just not nearly as much.  Which is strange.

Woke up today with no symptoms whatsoever. 

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

27 hours since my second moderna. Zero side effects but I’m a bit hungover from the 10 celebratory beers last night. 

Girlfriend got hers JJ yesterday, she teared up, the sky was bluer than I’ve seen it in a long time when I walked out after I got mine. I cracked a big ole grin walking to my car. So glad we are here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, troph said:

Girlfriend got hers JJ yesterday, she teared up, the sky was bluer than I’ve seen it in a long time when I walked out after I got mine. I cracked a big ole grin walking to my car. So glad we are here.

1st Moderna vaccine at noon today.  So far so good.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Got my 1st Pfizer a couple weeks ago. Sore arm for the most part and was fatigued and just feeling off. Thought that I had heart issues but everything checked out ok.

Just starting to feel better now.
Got it at UT SW in Dallas

My neighbor said that there were tons of spots open on smaller towns like Weatherford where he got his. His main side effect were weird dreams.

Question for the medicos.

It's not an issue for me yet, but on the rare occasion I need or take a "pain pill" or analgesic or NSAID, Aleve is my drug of choice.  I don't take enough of any of them to worry about gastro or bleeding issues.

Extra Strength Tylenol has been an alright runner-up to Aleve for headaches, broken fingers, and broken collarbones.  I avoided the Aleve on the fractures to avoid interference with healing.

Anything wrong with either of those?  Tylenol preferable?

Had JnJ shot at 2 pm yesterday and had some initial soreness in arm where I got shot. After about an hour, everything felt normal.

When I was getting ready to to bed around 11ish, my legs, hips and lower back started getting real sore, felt like the day after an intense workout.

Slowly after that other parts of my body started to get sore and I had chills and would then occasionally wake up in a sweat.

I probably slept no more than 30 mins straight last night.

Now all that remains is a little soreness at injection site and a little stiffness in my lower back.

All in all, it was a minor inconvenience.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got my 1st Pfizer a couple weeks ago. Sore arm for the most part and was fatigued and just feeling off. Thought that I had heart issues but everything checked out ok.

Just starting to feel better now.
Got it at UT SW in Dallas

My neighbor said that there were tons of spots open on smaller towns like Weatherford where he got his. His main side effect were weird dreams.

I'll second that.
I had crazy dreams for three nights after the 2nd shot. 

5G speeds really take dreams to the next level
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

For everyone getting the shot, are you in the defined groups, volunteering and getting leftovers, or something else? I tried to sign up online, but I would have had to flat out lie to get a slot. Kinda hard to do that when there are genuinely at risk people trying to get vaccinated. How easy is it to volunteer and get a shot that way?

35 minutes ago, TTU13 said:

Had JnJ shot at 2 pm yesterday and had some initial soreness in arm where I got shot. After about an hour, everything felt normal.

When I was getting ready to to bed around 11ish, my legs, hips and lower back started getting real sore, felt like the day after an intense workout.

Slowly after that other parts of my body started to get sore and I had chills and would then occasionally wake up in a sweat.

I probably slept no more than 30 mins straight last night.

Now all that remains is a little soreness at injection site and a little stiffness in my lower back.

All in all, it was a minor inconvenience.

Got mine Saturday afternoon and that sums up my side effects perfectly, with the exception of almost no soreness at injection site.  

I drove up to Waco Convention Center to get it.  My biggest takeaway from the whole experience, fuck Baylor.

• Like 1

For everyone getting the shot, are you in the defined groups, volunteering and getting leftovers, or something else? I tried to sign up online, but I would have had to flat out lie to get a slot. Kinda hard to do that when there are genuinely at risk people trying to get vaccinated. How easy is it to volunteer and get a shot that way?

It’s a college football message board. Most posters are fat and/or old.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

My wife and I both qualified either due to our professions or volunteer activities.  We wouldn't have qualified otherwise.

My wife has asthma and a couple of places said she qualified, a couple didn't, so we're erring on the side of caution and just stating she is 1B. More than one medical professional has told us that she qualifies, so that's good enough for me. As for me, I'll have to be on the lookout for waste avoidance shots until they open up the next phase.

I don’t have anything specifically listed as 1B, but my doctor told me I shouldn’t feel guilty because I do have other things that likely put me at an elevated risk. Nevertheless, I still felt guilty about taking one while others were struggling to get theirs.

But there are so many shots available now if you’re willing to drive a bit, I no longer feel guilty about “jumping” the line. Drove about an hour and a half and got Moderna. No physical side effects at all. Barely even a sore arm. Did have some pretty weird dreams the first two nights though.

Anybody else feeling the way I did should just get over it. It’s not hard to get a shot anymore, at least not in Cen-Tex. You aren’t taking it from someone who is actually trying to get one. You’re helping get to herd-immunity now. That’s our best defense against all the mouth breathers that refuse to take this shit seriously.

And if you still feel guilty, hang around the vax site for a bit and you’ll see an old person walk up asking about getting the shot and looking utterly confused when someone try’s to explain that they have to register online. Take them aside, whip out your phone, and help them get registered. Between the wife and I, we’ve helped several dozen old folks with that, mostly all complete strangers that just lack the computer literacy to do it themselves.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just get the shot. The moment they lifted the mask mandate I said fuck it and scheduled mine. I have the Covid 15 pounds so I could technically be a fatty. My blood pressure is probably a little higher than what it should be as well, so didn’t really feel bad for taking a spot. I’m scheduled for Thursday morning. I have no idea which one I am getting.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Question for the medicos.

It's not an issue for me yet, but on the rare occasion I need or take a "pain pill" or analgesic or NSAID, Aleve is my drug of choice.  I don't take enough of any of them to worry about gastro or bleeding issues.

Extra Strength Tylenol has been an alright runner-up to Aleve for headaches, broken fingers, and broken collarbones.  I avoided the Aleve on the fractures to avoid interference with healing.

Anything wrong with either of those?  Tylenol preferable?

Medical scientist, not a physician, but I would think Tylenol is better choice than ibuprofen/NSAIDs because you don’t want to overly suppress the inflammatory response to the vaccine. Taking nothing the first 72 hours is the preference, obviously. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s not too much of an exaggeration to say that most people have a medical issue that qualifies for 1b. Get a comprehensive physical with a full lipid panel and there’s likely to be something that puts you at greater risk. I have blood pressure and cholesterol issues. That said, I waited until last Friday to get my first shot to give others with more serious issues a head start. And availability in the Houston area has soared recently. I suspect when 1c comes along most people will have had the shot(s).

Just got first dose of Moderna at Kelly Reeves. Took about an hour this morning - LOTS of people but the process was smooth. Please be sure and pre-register or else you'll be there an extra 30 minutes filling out paperwork. 

1 hour ago, StruggleBus said:

Shit, people are driving in from out of state to get shots in Texas now. Just get the damn shot.

And this. Know some people from Santa Fe who drove to Amarillo to get theirs since they have a surplus. Go ahead and get this thing done if you can especially now that the mandate is being lifted.

2 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

I was able to register in late January through Family Hospital Systems in Wilco, which distributes the vaccine at the Kelly Reeves athletic complex toward Cedar Park.  You didn't have to designate as 1a or 1b online at the time, and nobody asked when I showed up.  I think word about that got around, and FHS may have "fixed the glitch" to prevent the masses from registering that way.

But I do know folks volunteering at the Kelly Reeves distribution site, and they say you're all but guaranteed to get a dose that way, even if you don't qualify as 1a or 1b.  I think they release the following week's volunteer shift Saturday's at 5pm.  I think this is the site.  https://www.justserve.org/familyhealthsystems

3 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

my wife lied for me, which helped.  so have her sign you up, and you sign her up.  gotta launder that conscience.

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

I don’t have anything specifically listed as 1B, but my doctor told me I shouldn’t feel guilty because I do have other things that likely put me at an elevated risk. Nevertheless, I still felt guilty about taking one while others were struggling to get theirs.

But there are so many shots available now if you’re willing to drive a bit, I no longer feel guilty about “jumping” the line. Drove about an hour and a half and got Moderna. No physical side effects at all. Barely even a sore arm. Did have some pretty weird dreams the first two nights though.

Anybody else feeling the way I did should just get over it. It’s not hard to get a shot anymore, at least not in Cen-Tex. You aren’t taking it from someone who is actually trying to get one. You’re helping get to herd-immunity now. That’s our best defense against all the mouth breathers that refuse to take this shit seriously.

And if you still feel guilty, hang around the vax site for a bit and you’ll see an old person walk up asking about getting the shot and looking utterly confused when someone try’s to explain that they have to register online. Take them aside, whip out your phone, and help them get registered. Between the wife and I, we’ve helped several dozen old folks with that, mostly all complete strangers that just lack the computer literacy to do it themselves.

Good on you - and look don't feel bad. This is a public health issue and the goal at this point is to get shots in arms - as many as possible as fast as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1