Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Vasectomy and 2nd vaccine dose both scheduled the Thursday before March Madness. Pretty cool that in one day I'll be protecting myself against a potential life-ruining destructive force and also getting the Covid shot. 

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Post From Nextdoor:

Vaxing by volunteering at Kelly Reeves.

Hey all, I thought I would report on our very positive experience last night. 

Husband and I are not 1A/1B and not teachers. So not eligible by current TX guidelines. 

However, we volunteered at KR stadium (the Williamson county hub run by Family Hospital Systems) and we were vaxed (first dose) at the end of the night, because they offer the leftovers to volunteers. 

It was easy and actually kinda fun. Highly recommend! They need hundreds of volunteers every day. You do not need medical training for many of the spots. Some work outside directing traffic, or handing out paperwork. Husband and I worked inside doing data entry. 

The only downside of inside is that it’s a big room you’re in and they do allow people to eat in in so sometimes you’re in a room where people take off their masks to eat. I went outside to eat (they gave us free food off a food truck and had snacks too!) and otherwise kept a KN95 on the whole time. 

We did a 5 hour shift, 3:30-8:30. The work is basic - take paperwork and enter it into a computer program. 

They do not promise you will get vaxed at the end of the night but we all did and every other person I’ve heard volunteer there did as well, so it seems like a solid expectation. They even said this was a record day for how many people came though - like around 3500? - and this was still not a problem. 

The competition to get one of these volunteer spots is challenging. They release at 5 on Saturdays and are gone in minutes. I was in at 5:02 and couldn’t grab one. But either cancelations happened or they added more because I checked back Sunday night and they had opened more and I got those 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:

Just got the Moderna vaccine through APH. Just waiting the recommended 15 minute period before leaving. I'll probably drop dead when I walk out of here.

That only happens like 20% of the time so I wouldn't worry if I were you. 

4 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

26 hours in.  Sore arm.  A little tired.  Slight chills and a low grade fever - in the 99's.

So, this afternoon (~30 hrs after second shot) I've been in the 100.4-100.6 range.  I'm not worried about it one bit as these are very common symptoms, but am I under any kind of obligation to not be around others?  Got kid activities to power through this evening.

Edited by Don Johnson

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

No, it's not the coronavirus and you are fine to be around others.  It's your bodies immune response that is causing the symptoms.

I know but guess someone could argue there's an off chance I caught the Covid this past weekend or something.  That 100.4 number has been such a hard rule for "don't enter, go home" that once I hit that temp I had the question.

42 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I know but guess someone could argue there's an off chance I caught the Covid this past weekend or something.  That 100.4 number has been such a hard rule for "don't enter, go home" that once I hit that temp I had the question.

Don, look. It seems like you need help here. You need to use the fact that you have a fever as a reason to not power through kid activities. Pour yourself a nice bourbon or four. Touch yourself if you must. It's time to relax and have a good time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, StruggleBus said:

Don, look. It seems like you need help here. You need to use the fact that you have a fever as a reason to not power through kid activities. Pour yourself a nice bourbon or four. Touch yourself if you must. It's time to relax and have a good time. 

tenor.gif&f=1&nofb=1

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

I have heard of employers paying their people to get the shot.  Might be a way to help convince them to do it.

It would be nice if there were some 'vaccinated people express" lines -- that might get people convinced to do it too. There's no way to enforce or prove it, but a guy can dream. 

Edited by honolulu horn

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

30 hours after dose #1 (Moderna) and absolutely zero side effects.

I think they shot me up with water.  Or beer.  Same same as far as my body is concerned.

I'm about the same and my arm fucking hurts.  Wah.  

It also seems maybe to have made the soft tissue around my two-year old broken collarbone kind of flare.  Maybe it's because I slept funny on it.  At any rate, I have bilateral sore shoulders.

Wife and I got our first shot today. Pfizer. Some slight chills for me about 2 hours in that went away. She has a history of reactions to vaccines and meds. For her she had nausea chills and dizziness almost immediately after but those symptoms had subsided a bit. I wonder if she should get j and j shot for her second. I'm not sure how severe a reaction needs to be before thinking about getting a different one.  

Wife and I got our first shot today. Pfizer. Some slight chills for me about 2 hours in that went away. She has a history of reactions to vaccines and meds. For her she had nausea chills and dizziness almost immediately after but those symptoms had subsided a bit. I wonder if she should get j and j shot for her second. I'm not sure how severe a reaction needs to be before thinking about getting a different one.  

Get all 3 vaccines just to be safe
  • Like 1

It would be nice if there were some 'vaccinated people express" lines -- that might get people convinced to do it too. There's no way to enforce or prove it, but a guy can dream. 

I was given a little CDC vax card after my shot this morning and was told to bring it with me for round 2.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My arm is still a little tender after JnJ shot on Sunday, but nothing else.

Wife had her JnJ yesterday and had no symptoms 12 hours after, which is better than my experience. I had symptoms within 8 hours ish. She was telling me how she’s tougher than me, her body can handle more, etc.

She woke up this morning with a fever, headaches, excessively tired, body aches, etc. Essentially worse symptoms than me. By about 4-5 this afternoon she started feeling more normal.

I’m curious if how you react to the vax is an indicator of how your body would handle the actual infection. Any data or info on that?

14 minutes ago, TTU13 said:

I’m curious if how you react to the vax is an indicator of how your body would handle the actual infection. Any data or info on that?

It is not. There are hundreds of variables why one has a reaction or does not have a reaction. I’ve read old people do not have as bad a reaction. I’ve heard the fats have a bad reaction or maybe it was better. I don’t remember. Either way, none of that has to do with vaccine efficacy 

Edit: Did not see your subsequent post regarding CDC guidance. That seems like it’s probably geared to really severe reactions as opposed to what you described with your wife, but she should definitely talk to her doctor if seriously concerned.

Also, FWIW, speaking as a noted needle-phobe (I’m sure there’s an actual name for this), the immediate symptoms are very possibly a stress reaction to getting a shot in general rather than an immediate immune response to the COVID vaccine.

Dose #1 - Moderna

• 26 days ago - APH
  • the actual shot - didn't even feel it! hey lady, you sure you gave it to me?!!
  • No side effects
  • arm hurt longer than I expected - 72 hours - I definitely got it!

Dose #2 - Moderna (assuming)

• just got my notice from APH for a Thurs appt. - damn efficient!
  • bracing for the dreaded 2nd dose aftereffects.

to sum things up.. feeling relief.

Edited by yoladu

Galveston county opened up their wait list to all adults in the county.  I called and got my name on the list.  I got a text the next day inviting me to register an appointment for the first dose.  I go to the county website form and it requires me to select one of the priority categories.  I call the county health dept. and explain that I'm not in any of the priority groups.  They tell me to register and select the 18+ with medical condition.  Ok.  So I did and I got first shot of Moderna vaccine today.  

Are all of y'all old unhealthy fat fucks or are y'all just jumping in front of the people that are high risk because you can?
Serious question.

Nope. We were going to wait until Abbott said fuck it. So my wife and I found some “technicalities” to sign up.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm about the same and my arm fucking hurts.  Wah.  

It also seems maybe to have made the soft tissue around my two-year old broken collarbone kind of flare.  Maybe it's because I slept funny on it.  At any rate, I have bilateral sore shoulders.

I also had unusual soreness in both shoulders and soreness in trap/neck on opposite side of injection, like I slept funny on it.  Definitely a weird side effect.  only lasted a day or two though after Moderna #1. Fatigue and injection area pain the next day were also legit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I shouldn't laugh, but I did.  

Reminds me when I was reading everything by Stephen Hawking.  I told my Dad that it was criminal that ALS is called "Lou Gehrig's Disease", it should be named "Gehrig-Hawking's Disease", if anything.  My Dad said, "When Hawking slugs over .600 for his career, he can name any disease he wants."  

54 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I shouldn't laugh, but I did.  

Reminds me when I was reading everything by Stephen Hawking.  I told my Dad that it was criminal that ALS is called "Lou Gehrig's Disease", it should be named "Gehrig-Hawking's Disease", if anything.  My Dad said, "When Hawking slugs over .600 for his career, he can name any disease he wants."  

I've always thought it was ironic that Lou Gehrig died of Lou Gehrig's Disease...

16 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

So, this afternoon (~30 hrs after second shot) I've been in the 100.4-100.6 range.  I'm not worried about it one bit as these are very common symptoms, but am I under any kind of obligation to not be around others?  Got kid activities to power through this evening.

48 hours after #2 and I slept like a champ, 98.7 and feel like a million bucks.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Are all of y'all old unhealthy fat fucks or are y'all just jumping in front of the people that are high risk because you can?

Serious question.

I got on the backup/standby list at my local pharmacy, was called 2 hours later and received my first dose the same day. The eligibility group on my form was highlighted "waste management protocol."

• Like 1

I am 22 hours after Moderna number two and have had no side effects, other than a moderately sore arm. Less sore than after the first injection. There are six of us - three sets of parents in our neighborhood - who got the first 2/9 and second yesterday. Of those, two reported moderate fever, aches and chills. Other four only a sore arm.

• Hook 'Em 1