Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

I waited in line at least 5 minutes before a lady took me out of line to go up a separate elevator. 

Then it was 45 to 60 long seconds before a lady checked me in.

Next, after nearly a 1 1/2 minute wait that felt like all the world like it was 2, a booth opened up and I could finally get my vaccine. 

SIDE NOTE: I need to start working out. 💪

82C04A0C-7C91-4E47-BB8B-76112AD6009E.jpeg

F40CB897-F8DA-4389-90BB-F89E4E1A4E13.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

44 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Just heard from my son who happened to be driving by Kelly Reeves and says there was a 4 car wreck outside the stadium on Parmer.

there was one Monday morning as well. They really need to get some traffic control over there because it's a clusterfuck turning into that place. Everyone in a hurry.

I waited in line at least 5 minutes before a lady took me out of line to go up a separate elevator. 
Next, after nearly a 1 1/2 minute wait that felt like all the world like it was 2, a booth opened up and I could finally get my vaccine. 

SIDE NOTE: I need to start working out.
82C04A0C-7C91-4E47-BB8B-76112AD6009E.thumb.jpeg.b913e4b6e773588f518d60c16d0c0c05.jpeg
F40CB897-F8DA-4389-90BB-F89E4E1A4E13.thumb.jpeg.e8426553700807442434b8bad74f4aed.jpeg

And tanning.

36 minutes ago, Hate said:

...And tanning.

My head practically screams “Southern Italia!” compared the face of the lady who gave me my shot. 

But yes, I am on the pale side of the Caucasian spectrum at this time. I’m not British-level white, but perhaps my arms are “winter Dutch”.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

My head practically screams “Southern Italia!” compared the face of the lady who gave me my shot. 

But yes, I am on the pale side of the Caucasian spectrum at this time. I’m not British-level white, but perhaps my arms are “winter Dutch”.

So you see, way back then Southern Italians were like wops from Northern Italy. They all had blonde hair and blue eyes, but then the Moors moved in there, and they changed the whole country.

• Hook 'Em 1

Over 24 hours since first Moderna shot. I couldn't sleep for shit last night because my arm was fucking killing me. Woke up at 1230 am and couldn't get comfortable enough to fall asleep until 2 am. Mild headache today, which could be allergies, but nothing else to report.

SIDE NOTE: I need to start working out.
82C04A0C-7C91-4E47-BB8B-76112AD6009E.thumb.jpeg.b913e4b6e773588f518d60c16d0c0c05.jpeg
F40CB897-F8DA-4389-90BB-F89E4E1A4E13.thumb.jpeg.e8426553700807442434b8bad74f4aed.jpeg

so many questions...

There will probably be mutations and boosters. And we still have a lot of shoulders to jab. But in America there's been a death a minute for the last year (525,600, as the song goes). And most of us know someone that didn't make it.

So cheers to y'all for doing what you had to and getting to this point. May we all soon be in a sea of vaccinated burnt orange at DKR, where the only sick feelings are on the visitor's sideline as Bijan breaks off long runs again and again.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I completely agree with this article.  I've said the same thing on surly and I've said it to my friends and family.   So tired of the continual doom and gloom even as one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of disease is in the process of being rolled out.     I realize its behind a paywall but I assume everyone on surly has subs to WSJ and Financial Times

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-prescription-get-the-vaccine-wait-a-month-return-to-normal-11615401516?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
15 hours ago, The Dog said:
there was one Monday morning as well. They really need to get some traffic control over there because it's a clusterfuck turning into that place. Everyone in a hurry.

At 2:35 a motorcycle cop showed up to direct traffic. Complete clusterfuck prior to that.

There were two motorcycle cops inside the parking lot when we left. They were apparently engaged in a training session by riding around some traffic cones set up in the southernmost part of the lot that was vacant.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Thought I was having side effects this morning but it turns out I just got hammered last night.

I was the opposite after Shot No. 2.  I woke up the next morning around 7am feeling like shit and thinking it was just the Scotch.  By 10am, I was still lying in bed and knew it wasn't a hangover.  Flu-like symptoms all day. 

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I completely agree with this article.  I've said the same thing on surly and I've said it to my friends and family.   So tired of the continual doom and gloom even as one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of disease is in the process of being rolled out.     I realize its behind a paywall but I assume everyone on surly has subs to WSJ and Financial Times

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-prescription-get-the-vaccine-wait-a-month-return-to-normal-11615401516?mod=opinion_lead_pos5

Yeah, I can't really disagree.  Vaccination is THE silver bullet here.  Get them, and be rewarded.

We can offer some voices of moderation about protecting those who can't yet be vaccinated (kids....who are also the least vulnerable.  Truly, for THEM, it's not as serious a risk as the flu), and some advance thoughts on how to quickly tamp down future outbreaks (again, we have periodic flu outbreaks that we tamp down -- we shut down a school for a few days, we might require students to wear masks for a couple of weeks, maybe do the same thing with an office, that sort of thing), but the message should be that if enough of us get vaccinated, ESPECIALLY anyone particularly vulnerable, we can knock this down to being just another seasonal respiratory illness, which is still dangerous, but no more dangerous than what we've long since learned to live with.

Because on the other side of the equation is a healthy and happy functioning humanity and human economy.  Those things matter.  We can and should be willing to restrict them temporarily, with clearly articulated goals in sight, but a message of "this is indefinite" is counter-productive.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I can't really disagree.  Vaccination is THE silver bullet here.  Get them, and be rewarded.

We can offer some voices of moderation about protecting those who can't yet be vaccinated (kids....who are also the least vulnerable.  Truly, for THEM, it's not as serious a risk as the flu), and some advance thoughts on how to quickly tamp down future outbreaks (again, we have periodic flu outbreaks that we tamp down -- we shut down a school for a few days, we might require students to wear masks for a couple of weeks, maybe do the same thing with an office, that sort of thing), but the message should be that if enough of us get vaccinated, ESPECIALLY anyone particularly vulnerable, we can knock this down to being just another seasonal respiratory illness, which is still dangerous, but no more dangerous than what we've long since learned to live with.

Because on the other side of the equation is a healthy and happy functioning humanity and human economy.  Those things matter.  We can and should be willing to restrict them temporarily, with clearly articulated goals in sight, but a message of "this is indefinite" is counter-productive.

Having become more comfortable wearing masks (most of us at least), I can forsee in the future intermittent mask wearing during the height of flu season. It's really not that difficult and would help a lot. I'm curious if we can truly stamp this thing out of existence through vaccines or if we are going to have to get revaccinated on a regular basis.

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

Having become more comfortable wearing masks (most of us at least), I can forsee in the future intermittent mask wearing during the height of flu season. It's really not that difficult and would help a lot. I'm curious if we can truly stamp this thing out of existence through vaccines or if we are going to have to get revaccinated on a regular basis.

We can't stamp it out through vaccines.  At least not anytime soon.  If we can get it knocked far enough back to where additional variants stop cropping up, then we'll have a shot...but see what Pods noted in another post.  The virus can live in a reservoir in the animal population.   So, if it's still out there getting transmitted between ferrets and whatnot....it's still out there, and can crop back up.

One day, long ago, the flu leaped from animals to humans (probably umpteen thousand years ago, when we started domesticating pigs and such).  Once that happened, it became endemic.  We just saw that happen with a new virus, COVID.  It's going to follow the same path as the flu -- it's going to be with us in some way probably forever.

13 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I suspect we will end up needing boosters once in a while for new mutations and such. I wonder if we will ever get to a point that it could be added to a flu shot where it's one injection they recommend you get annually. 

Oh, that's a GREAT idea.  Let's get the flu and COVID together, where they can have drinks and come up with a way to fuck us over TOGETHER.  No, nope.  I'm on to you, good sir.  Not gonna take that bait.

I suspect we will end up needing boosters once in a while for new mutations and such. I wonder if we will ever get to a point that it could be added to a flu shot where it's one injection they recommend you get annually. 

There are already two different drugs due out this fall that stop Covid from becoming serious similar to Tamiflu for the flu. I don’t think we will need more vaccinations going forward because of that. It may require someone that has tested positive to isolate for a few days until the medicine has done what it needs to do, but I don’t see a vaccine being necessary. I could absolutely be wrong about that as I am not a doctor nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Ok, now I’m a little worried about side effects. I’m at Walmart waiting out my 15 minutes and I saw a man walk by wearing a Tim Couch Cleveland Browns jersey. Are hallucinations one of the side effects??

Was it Johnny Manziel?

18 hours ago, The Dog said:

Both times I’ve had to drive over there it was a cluster getting off Parmer (driving south) because people don’t properly use the shoulder to pull over, slow down and turn in...some slow way down in traffic while looking to see if it’s the correct entrance, some slam on the brakes and wheel in suddenly, others pull over a quarter mile early and slow to a crawl, and the second time a lady pulled past it on the shoulder before reversing back against traffic.  Just dumbassery all around 

Just had the first dose of Moderna. I hate to give credit to our state/county but the process was pretty well run. They were set up in the activity center of our local college with 18-20 stations for giving shots. A dozen people were guiding traffic in and out of the parking lot, 10 people were checking people in. Got the shot and waited by the snack bar for 15 minutes, ate a couple of homemade cookies and came back home. No signs of side effects other than typical arm soreness at the injection site. There was a steady stream of people moving through so it won't take long to get everybody in our county (15K or so) that wants it. Hopefully the supply issues that Kansas has had are in the past. Get the vaccine, get normal.

Edit to add that it was less than an hour from leaving the house to returning including a 12 mile drive each way.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Napoleon said:

SIDE NOTE: I need to start working out. 💪

82C04A0C-7C91-4E47-BB8B-76112AD6009E.jpeg

F40CB897-F8DA-4389-90BB-F89E4E1A4E13.jpeg

so you are one of those Argentinians, eh?  Ones with that skin complexion that decided South America was looking a bit nicer than northern Europe in the mid-1940's?

3 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Bill Gates is gonna be so fucking rich.  

Well, so fucking richer.

• Hook 'Em 1