Who's been covid vaxxed? Stand up and be counted.

High Plains Drifter

4 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

For everyone getting the shot, are you in the defined groups, volunteering and getting leftovers, or something else? I tried to sign up online, but I would have had to flat out lie to get a slot. Kinda hard to do that when there are genuinely at risk people trying to get vaccinated. How easy is it to volunteer and get a shot that way?

I'm legit in group 1B - Cardiomyopathy. I'm also +29BMI on account of my gainz. 

• Haha 1

I received the 2nd Pfizer does last Wednesday. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because aside from slight soreness I didn't have any side effects. It is such a relief knowing I'm okay. Now, if I could only convince my wife that its okay for her to get immunized even if she doesn't fall in the 1A or 1B category. She feels she would be taking the spot of someone who really needs it. 

5 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

For everyone getting the shot, are you in the defined groups, volunteering and getting leftovers, or something else? I tried to sign up online, but I would have had to flat out lie to get a slot. Kinda hard to do that when there are genuinely at risk people trying to get vaccinated. How easy is it to volunteer and get a shot that way?

It don’t make a shit to me. Get yourself pricked.

22 minutes ago, T-shirt Sip said:

I received the 2nd Pfizer does last Wednesday. I guess I was one of the lucky ones because aside from slight soreness I didn't have any side effects. It is such a relief knowing I'm okay. Now, if I could only convince my wife that its okay for her to get immunized even if she doesn't fall in the 1A or 1B category. She feels she would be taking the spot of someone who really needs it. 

If that’s her in your avatar, I’ll vouch for her after a ftf consultation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Any consensus on how long after shot #2 the bulk of immune response is complete?  Days, weeks?

Took my kids to Play for All Abilities park in RR this weekend, and yes it’s outside but bulk we’re not masked up despite being the opposite three weeks ago or so.  Wishing I had a sticker that says ‘I’m vaccinated’

Any consensus on how long after shot #2 the bulk of immune response is complete?  Days, weeks?
Took my kids to Play for All Abilities park in RR this weekend, and yes it’s outside but bulk we’re not masked up despite being the opposite three weeks ago or so.  Wishing I had a sticker that says ‘I’m vaccinated’

The data actually indicates that by the time you get your second dose, the first shot has done most of the job. I believe two weeks after the second dose is when you’re considered fully vaccinated. But if you’ve already gotten your second dose, even if you’re not quite at that point yet, your risk is negligible at an outdoor event like that unless you’re actively trying to get sick.

Got Moderna'd (first dose) about 4 hours ago at HEB Elgin. (Conveniently next to Spec's.)  No distinct symptoms yet.

How sensitive is the vaccine to correct injection technique? I barely felt the injection and it happened pretty fast. I hope I got the full squirt.

Got Moderna'd (first dose) about 4 hours ago at HEB Elgin. (Conveniently next to Spec's.)  No distinct symptoms yet.
How sensitive is the vaccine to correct injection technique? I barely felt the injection and it happened pretty fast. I hope I got the full squirt.

You should probably get a few more just in case. You don’t want be walking around with flaky 5G.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'm here to attest that the Bryan/College Station CVS is a shitshow.  I got in and out pretty quickly this morning, but queuing up put me shoulder to shoulder with the checkout line, which had multiple near-death customers suffering from what appeared to be a combination of COVID, AIDS, typhus and malaria.

I'm amused at the range of reactions -- my Moderna (#1) hasn't done anything to me yet, but I'm only 7.5 hours in.  Lagavulin, here I come, I'm checking out for the night.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm here to attest that the Bryan/College Station CVS is a shitshow.  I got in and out pretty quickly this morning, but queuing up put me shoulder to shoulder with the checkout line, which had multiple near-death customers suffering from what appeared to be a combination of COVID, AIDS, typhus and malaria.

I'm amused at the range of reactions -- my Moderna (#1) hasn't done anything to me yet, but I'm only 7.5 hours in.  Lagavulin, here I come, I'm checking out for the night.

Sounds like you gonna put on wunnadem ill beatz. Raise up!

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don’t really know anyone who had anything but a sore arm from #1.  

The few peeps I know on #2 either had no issues, felt ‘off’ the next day (my wife), super tired / minor ‘about to get sick’ symptoms (me), or full blown flu had to go home rest of day.  Everyone woke up fine.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Yeah I noticed they didn't go very deep. Must be how my wife feels. 

It’s just not a painful injection. The shingles shots (also two shots and recommended for people 50 and older), by contrast, were relatively painful as the serum was slowly injected. The shingles shots gave me a decent fever and flu like symptoms.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, HouTex said:

It’s just not a painful injection. The shingles shots (also two shots and recommended for people 50 and older), by contrast, were relatively painful as the serum was slowly injected. The shingles shots gave me a decent fever and flu like symptoms.

It's a very small volume injection.  I took allergy shots for years that increased in volume.  The ones at the end of the cycle blew up your arm on sheer volume, they were a syringe-full, a full cc, I think.  This one is like 0.1 cc.  

Got my Moderna today.  Felt fine, but conked pretty hard on my 3PM Covid nap, which about half the time involves just reading no sleep, the rest of the time a half hour catnap.  I was out for an hour and a half.  My delt is a little sore I just noticed raising my arm.

I did not shit myself on the way back from Alvarado.  I did not, however, chow on a Popeyes 8pc with chocolate sauce coming or going.

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

IGot my Moderna today.  Felt fine, but conked pretty hard on my 3PM Covid nap, which about half the time involves just reading no sleep, the rest of the time a half hour catnap.  I was out for an hour and a half.

Yeah, that's all I noticed -- same shot, same timing.  I was tired after a 220 mile round trip drive, which ordinarily I'd laugh off.  I feel fine now.  

I'll probably wake up with a 105 F fever in the morning.

I got Moderna #2 on Sunday afternoon. Mild reaction overnight and today. A bit worse tonight - achy and tired, mild GI distress, but not as bad of a reaction as i expected based on what I’ve heard about from others.  

Edited by Tonesky
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mikey4 said:

Wife is with the state health department so I was on the "extra arms" list.  At the end of appointments if there is product remaining instead of wasting they call extra arms to come to the county health department to use up.

10 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's a very small volume injection.  I took allergy shots for years that increased in volume.  The ones at the end of the cycle blew up your arm on sheer volume, they were a syringe-full, a full cc, I think.  This one is like 0.1 cc.  

Got my Moderna today.  Felt fine, but conked pretty hard on my 3PM Covid nap, which about half the time involves just reading no sleep, the rest of the time a half hour catnap.  I was out for an hour and a half.  My delt is a little sore I just noticed raising my arm.

I did not shit myself on the way back from Alvarado.  I did not, however, chow on a Popeyes 8pc with chocolate sauce coming or going.

Small addendum to this.  The shot didn't hurt at all.  I didn't feel any pain in my arm/shoulder until about 8 hours later and then it was slight, while raising my arm.

In the night it got increasingly uncomfortable, the painful area spread down my upper arm and the intensity cranked up.  Not unbearable or excruciating or anything, but nothing like I ever experienced before with it coming on late and getting worse overnight.

9 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Moderna #1 was 0.5cc (500 microliters).

Maybe my allergy shots were getting up toward, uh, 10cc?  It's been a long time.  Almost a full small-diameter syringeful.  My Moderna was 1 or 2 gradations on the syringe.  In any event, one of the smaller injections I have received over the years.

I tend to associate shot pain with forcing a largeish volume of fluid into the tissue.  This aint that.  Definitely some other mechanism at work.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Thanks for triggering my allergy shot PTSD
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, Homercles said:

I believe I've read 10-14 days after the 2nd shot. I think it's better to wait it out as we've already spent a year with this thing. Another 2 weeks won't kill anyone.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/7/2021 at 3:30 PM, JimmyJames said:

Had moderna first shot February 8 and had no symptoms except a sore arm

Got the second one Friday afternoon and woke up Saturday morning with a 103 degree fever and shivering uncontrollably. Have not felt like that since having the flu as a kid.

Took some Advil and ate some soup and a couple hours later the fever was completely gone but I was still somewhat shivering, just not nearly as much.  Which is strange.

Woke up today with no symptoms whatsoever. 

I am supposed to get my second Moderna shot on the 26th (a Friday) at HEB.  My problem is I am hosting a huge surprise birthday party for my sister-in-law at our ranch and need to be not sick so I can help setup and host (plus I have taken a two-month hiatus from booze and plan on partying a bit).  First shot just made me sore and tired for a day. I am worried I will have these kind of symptoms.

Can you delay the second shot?  I mean logistically?  I was hoping I could wait until the next Monday, bit HEB automatically set up the follow-up appointment. Wondering how to do it if I can.

10 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I am supposed to get my second Moderna shot on the 26th (a Friday) at HEB.  My problem is I am hosting a huge surprise birthday party for my sister-in-law at our ranch and need to be not sick so I can help setup and host (plus I have taken a two-month hiatus from booze and plan on partying a bit).  First shot just made me sore and tired for a day. I am worried I will have these kind of symptoms.

Can you delay the second shot?  I mean logistically?  I was hoping I could wait until the next Monday, bit HEB automatically set up the follow-up appointment. Wondering how to do it if I can.

I'd just do it the next week. The 28 days isn't really based on anything except the time period they set to get through the trials quicker. There's some evidence that might even end up showing that it helps to wait. We don't really know one way or another yet, but 3 days difference isn't going to materially change anything.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'd just do it the next week. The 28 days isn't really based on anything except the time period they set to get through the trials quicker. There's some evidence that might even end up showing that it helps to wait. We don't really know one way or another yet, but 3 days difference isn't going to materially change anything.

I was more concerned of giving up my appointment and not being able to get another one.  If I miss my appointment Friday, I am concerned I might not get another for a couple or three weeks.

Has anyone here missed or had to reschedule a second shot appointment with HEB?  I have an appointment window of Friday the 26th at 12 to 12:30. If I miss will they give me a shot on Monday if I just walk up?

Edited by Johnny Sack

HEB's scheduler sucks.  It has shown available slots a couple of times that I wanted to grab for some friends and then you can't schedule them. It  just showed 14 slots in New Braunfels that apparently didn't really exist.

Edited by kevwun

58 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

The range is 24-42 days. Anytime in that range is acceptable. Outside it after probably is ok but they don’t really know. 

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Vasectomy and 2nd vaccine dose both scheduled the Thursday before March Madness. Pretty cool that in one day I'll be protecting myself against a potential life-ruining destructive force and also getting the Covid shot. 

I hope you're getting the vaccine first. Not because it hurts that badly, but because the drugs they give you will make it impossible to do anything else productive that day. 

30 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

26 hours in.  Sore arm.  A little tired.  Slight chills and a low grade fever - in the 99's.

I researched it while I was shivering with a 103 degree fever and what you had/have is much more common than what I had. A high grade fever like mine was only found 1-2 percent of the time in the studies. Feeling chilled and tired is much more common with a low grade fever like 15-20 percent of the time. 

Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if my adaptive immune system thought it was something I had as a kid then realized differently since the fever disappeared so suddenly. The chills stayed around until the next morning though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The County Health Office called a little bit ago to tell us that our business is considered essential and qualified to get the J&J shots for any employees that want them on Monday.  Only half of our crew are signing up. Sad. Wife and I were already scheduled to get our first dose of Moderna on Thursday so we will go ahead with that.