2 FBI agents killed serving warrant in South Florida

elfenix

34 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

As the Poet Erick Lynn Wright once so eloquently stated....

One Two suckas dead, L.A. Times front page.

Edited by Orange&White

In all likelihood, this was a search warrant for computers in a child pr0n case.  Like human/sex trafficking, it is a federal law enforcement priority.

It probably involved the internet, which gives the interstate commerce nexus to yield federal jurisdiction, a la "wire fraud" and "mail fraud."  I think this is a bad idea because it federalizes traditionally state crimes for no really good reason.

I believe a lot of federal search warrants involve "task forces" that include local and state authorities, who are also involved in executing the warrants.  It all depends on the investigation:  if staties/locals involved in the investigation, they will be involved in the search, if not, they won't, typically.

These "task forces" are so common that I believe the feds ought to mostly be retasked as advisors for mostly state criminal cases, so that federal criminal jurisdiction can be cut way back.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Why don’t that wait until the target makes a grocery store run, etc.  to arrest them?  Breaking into their habitation seems unnecessary and dangerous. 

Agreed.  Feds seem to love to do it at the break of dawn, which is needlessly terroristic.

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Why don’t that wait until the target makes a grocery store run, etc.  to arrest them?  Breaking into their habitation seems unnecessary and dangerous. 

I'm sure they make their decision based upon their assessment of the suspect.  This dude probably had no record of violence.  They probably thought he was just a pervert and would cry on his way to jail.  But, if he had a legally purchased gun they would have known about it.   

I do wonder if the agents were wearing body armour.  

On 2/2/2021 at 9:46 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'm sure they make their decision based upon their assessment of the suspect.  This dude probably had no record of violence.  They probably thought he was just a pervert and would cry on his way to jail.  But, if he had a legally purchased gun they would have known about it.   

I do wonder if the agents were wearing body armour.  

There are plenty of ways to legally purchase a gun without the feds knowing about it.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, cabowabo said:

So, wait until he leaves and break the fuck in. 

I honestly don't know about the legality of that, but agree with the idea.

Showing  up with a goon squad at zero dark thirty seems unnecessarily likely to provoke a bad outcome, whether the perp is known to be armed or dangerous or not.

Edited by TwiceHorn

33 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I honestly don't know about the legality of that, but agree with the idea.

Showing  up with a goon squad at zero dark thirty seems unnecessarily likely to provoke a bad outcome, whether the perp is known to be armed or dangerous or not.

If it was the FBI and they were serving what appeared to be a high-risk warrant, more than likely it was members of HRT with the field officers.  HRT is a Tier I unit, officially formed because of obvious posse comitatus concerns with our other two Tier I groups on domestic soil (CAG and DEVGRU)......who usually make up their ranks due to the extremely high qualification standards.  

If HRT members show up on your doorstep it means there is some serious shit afoot and it's about to get ugly.  Or there is a very high potential for violent escalation.  Unlike international incidents where CAG?DEVGRU door-kickers are involved, HRT has to abide by the judges explicit orders.  A "search" warrant vs. an arrest warrant "warrant" (pun intended) two very different entry options.  They literally have to knock on the door and get sucked into the killbox (doorway) so many former operators are scared of being in.

Just sucks all around.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

If it was the FBI and they were serving what appeared to be a high-risk warrant, more than likely it was members of HRT with the field officers.  HRT is a Tier I unit, officially formed because of obvious posse comitatus concerns with our other two Tier I groups on domestic soil (CAG and DEVGRU)......who usually make up their ranks due to the extremely high qualification standards.  

If HRT members show up on your doorstep it means there is some serious shit afoot and it's about to get ugly.  Or there is a very high potential for violent escalation.  Unlike international incidents where CAG?DEVGRU door-kickers are involved, HRT has to abide by the judges explicit orders.  A "search" warrant vs. an arrest warrant "warrant" (pun intended) two very different entry options.  They literally have to knock on the door and get sucked into the killbox (doorway) so many former operators are scared of being in.

Just sucks all around.  

Coincidentally, I was discussing the incident yesterday with one of my brothers, who is recently-retired FBI, and I asked him if he thought hostage rescue got called in.  He had no info, but said he would be surprised if HRT was involved and not surprised if the Miami field office SWAT team was present in some capacity.  It sounds like it was task force team members who were executing the warrant, though.   

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Coincidentally, I was discussing the incident yesterday with one of my brothers, who is recently-retired FBI, and I asked him if he thought hostage rescue got called in.  He had no info, but said he would be surprised if HRT was involved and not surprised if the Miami field office SWAT team was present in some capacity.  It sounds like it was task force team members who were executing the warrant, though.   

Could very well be.  I do know they often accompany or even serve high-risk warrants.  There's no formal template.  Bandwidth and resource constraints often dictate who goes where.  I've worked informally with HRT guys, and Jesus Christ on a cracker are they legit.  I do know every person on the planet who has ever served a warrant wants these guys as backup.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Could very well be.  I do know they often accompany or even serve high-risk warrants.  There's no formal template.  Bandwidth and resource constraints often dictate who goes where.  I've worked informally with HRT guys, and Jesus Christ on a cracker are they legit.  I do know every person on the planet who has ever served a warrant wants these guys as backup.  

Yeah, those guys are definitely no joke. 

• Hook 'Em 1