Daddy does oil and all that that implies.

crash_davis

Hadn't seen this movie since college, or maybe high school, which is to say it's been a long ass time. Other day, I head Boz Scaggs "Look What You've Done to Me" for the first time in decades and was immediately taken back to the Houston penthouse scene. So me and the wife decided to watch that movie again. 

Thoughts.

1. It was better than I remembered. No explosions, no one got kilt, no double twist, no surprise endings. Just an honest to goodness young couple making their way in 70s Houston movie. Movies like this don't get made anymore. It was a fun 2 hour strolling down memory lane.

2. Pam was HOT AS SHIT!!!!! Can't think of a more beautiful woman on screen wearing a cowboy hat.

3. "Daddy does oil and all that that implies." "To cowboys --- and all that that implies." Great lines.

4. Soundtrack is fucking awesome.

5. Misogyny. A movie like this does not get made today. Not saying that's wrong or right. It was the times then and it is times now. Still interesting the see how attitudes change.

6. "When you gonna take me home and rape me?" 

7. "You're not just doing this to make your wife jealous are you?"  - "Yep"

8. Rachel Roxxx looks like Sissy.

Other that some hot ass, I never had an opinion on this movie one way or the other.  And I'm too young to remember what it did to Texas "culture/reputation" in the years immediately following.  But I'm remembering this movie alongside the other other thread about "feeling old" here about how you can mark a time and place in movies and how hard that is to do now to discern between 2020 and 2010 but you can sure as shit see it between 1980 and 1970.  

And I'm thinking of how many 1980's movies, this one included, were based on these heated competitions and rivalries of the dumbest fucking shit.  Marriages destroyed, fortunes lost, children estranged, addictions begun, businesses closed, and lives ended because some guy needed to prove he was the best e-bull rider, line dancer, bouncer, skateboarder, downhill skier, bartender, ballroom dancer, bike messenger, or karate.  Set to the worst fucking music.  Shit like this serves as this painful reminder that while it was the decade of my youth, the 80's were the fucking worst for movies overall.  May as well try to make a movie about a nightclub rivalry involving "Golden Tee." 

This can devolve into a what's the purpose of this movie or that movie thread shitshow. At the end of the 2 hours, if I can say I was entertained, then it was worth my time. Movies can move you to do shit and be a better person, or can serve to distract your attention and entertain you for 2 hours. Not everything has to have some higher purpose.

• Hook 'Em 1

Madolyn Smith - aka Pam - is 64. 

Damn I'm getting old.  This movie was before my time, but I distinctly recall stopping by Gillies when I was about 4.  We were headed to Galveston for a family vacation.  I think we also had a Gillies bumper sticker on whatever POS my parents were driving at the time.

Watched the movie as an adult recently and still like it.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Other that some hot ass, I never had an opinion on this movie one way or the other.  And I'm too young to remember what it did to Texas "culture/reputation" in the years immediately following.  But I'm remembering this movie alongside the other other thread about "feeling old" here about how you can mark a time and place in movies and how hard that is to do now to discern between 2020 and 2010 but you can sure as shit see it between 1980 and 1970.  

And I'm thinking of how many 1980's movies, this one included, were based on these heated competitions and rivalries of the dumbest fucking shit.  Marriages destroyed, fortunes lost, children estranged, addictions begun, businesses closed, and lives ended because some guy needed to prove he was the best e-bull rider, line dancer, bouncer, skateboarder, downhill skier, bartender, ballroom dancer, bike messenger, or karate.  Set to the worst fucking music.  Shit like this serves as this painful reminder that while it was the decade of my youth, the 80's were the fucking worst for movies overall.  May as well try to make a movie about a nightclub rivalry involving "Golden Tee." 

I'm in. 

I go back and forth on my favorite Houston movie. It's Rushmore based on merit, but man alive, I love Urban Cowboy. 

Travolta is a weird son of a bitch in his personal life, but he's had his moments as an actor. An Italian guy from Jersey shouldn't be able to pull off Bud, but he did it well. His voice coach should have won an Academy Award. 

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I go back and forth on my favorite Houston movie. It's Rushmore based on merit, but man alive, I love Urban Cowboy. 

Travolta is a weird son of a bitch in his personal life, but he's had his moments as an actor. An Italian guy from Jersey shouldn't be able to pull off Bud, but he did it well. His voice coach should have won an Academy Award. 

Rushmore isn't very Houstony even though it was filmed there. 

4 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

Family car’s waiting’.

This is the best line in the movie,  particularly because he is repeating what Pam just said , unless you're referring to Pam saying it which works too. I just think it's funny when Bud says it because the pretentiousness isn't quite the same as he intended as when Pam delivered it.  

And Pam was hot as fuck. I remember her on Cheers one episode. I don't remember the plot but I assume Sam tried to get in her pants 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Other day, I head Boz Scaggs "Look What You've Done to Me" for the first time in decades and was immediately taken back to the Houston penthouse scene.

Every time I drive past 2016 Main, I look up to the top floor and think back to that scene. I really wish I would have made it out to Gilleys at least once. Lord knows I hit most of the other big country bars back in the day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This guy knows how to appreciate movies, and probably fucks.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jeevsie said:

c34bb5facef3613e454bb429d52eee78.jpg

/derail

Brings to mind an all-time favorite character actor: James Gammon.

Probably best known for his roles in Major League, but I absolutely loved him as Horsethief Shorty Wilson in The Milagro Beanfield War. He had two motherfuckin' nicknames, man!

JERRY: "I know this town, these are my people."

HORSETHIEF: Jerry, your own people would like to see you strung up by your nuts. You're a Forest Service cop. I'm surprised that fat little green truck of yours doesn't blow up every morning when you get in it and step on the gas.

/derail

The end where they are driving off and Bud throws the SISSY license plate back up in the back window cracks my shit up every time.  Entertaining flick, and it's always been amazing to me how Scott Glenn can play an asshole or a hero equally well using the same grizzled expressions.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He seems like a really good dude, some cool stories about his roles 

I watched this a few weeks ago.

IIRC, he talks about how he hung out with prison rodeo guys for a few weeks, and used his observations of them to create Wes's mannerisms/attitude, etc.  He's fantastic in just about everything.

I spent many a night in Gilley's in my high school years (before UC) and college years (after (UC). Great call on recognizing the locals who made it into the movie. Always love Bud's first trip to Gilley's as they walk up and guys are getting thrown out for fighting.  That was a nightly deal - it was a rough place pre UC.

Also remember Johnny Lee's club down Spencer Highway (I think that s where it was), and Cowboy where Pam and Bud end up dancing.

spacer.png

We would always showu p for Gilley beer night - cheap beer for college students during the summer months.  Pretty sure it was either Shiner or Texas Pride rebranded.