2022 RB Jaydon Blue

texifornia

How he fits at Texas: Blue is not a typical Texas running back recruit. He has some wiggle in the hole and great balance while running, but he’s not currently a power back that is at his best picking through interior gaps and running through arm tackles. Where he excels is in space where he has a running back’s change of direction, vision, and balance and home run speed. Blue’s hands are good and at 5-foot-10, 205, he’d be more of a bully on the perimeter than in the box. At Texas, he’d be a nightmare in the slot getting work in the screen game and learning how to translate his vision and feel for running crossing patterns. – Ian Boyd

Coach says: Strengths – Solidly built with a great frame for the position. Has potential to grow into a thickly built power back. Takes a good first step with patience to let the blocking play out. Excellent balance. Good vision and a quick burst of acceleration to the hole. Has a subtle jump cut and has good lateral ability to make people miss in tight space. Accelerates well to a very good top end speed although it does not look as fast as his track time would suggest. Runs hard and with purpose and will run through just about any arm tackle. Has reliable hands with good soft catching motion.

Areas for Improvement/Concern – Pass protection and route running are relatively unknown.

How this affects Texas: UT has its eyes on a handful of tailback targets in 2022 but none more important than Blue. With 30+ offers and as a 97 composite four-star, it’s easy to see why he’s regarded as one of the top running backs in the country. Stan Drayton has built a nice stable of backs at UT and Blue would be amongst the biggest if it’s orange house. – Justin Wells

Excerpt from the Inside Texas 2022 Top 75

Having seen Blue in person, on the practice field, and on Friday nights this season, I have seen he has a special pair of hands for a running back prospect. He has the big play ability at running back but it’s the versatility in the passing game with his great 100-meter wheels that makes him an elite prospect. – Gerry Hamilton

I love a pinball back who bounces and darts his way to open grass. Add in his quality hands and slot receiver movement skills, and he’ll have coaches adding a few pages to the playbook. – Eric Nahlin

https://insidetexas.com/top-2022-rb-jaydon-blue-commits-to-texas/

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

i think they slash, cut, and accelerate similarly. are yall saying Blue isnt on the same level as Bijan in HS? i has confused.

Gerry's eval: 

image.thumb.png.3c3e89bfdba2cdbac26af21bd1406674.png

He has the suddenness and versatility of Bijan but sounds like he doesn't currently possess the strength to run through contact and get yards between the tackles. More top end speed. 

Sounds like a Reggie Bush starter kit to me, can be huge impact player but not the total package rb that Bijan is, at this stage at least.

• Hook 'Em 3

Hell yeah. Definitely a glider that runs reallllll smooth. Wish we had one burner on the team. (All the ones that were supposed to be are currently being debated as being slow on the football board) anyway, blue was one of the main recruits I wanted next year and we got him a year early, hook em!

4 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Gerry's eval: 

He has the suddenness and versatility of Bijan but sounds like he doesn't currently possess the strength to run through contact and get yards between the tackles. More top end speed. 

Sounds like a Reggie Bush starter kit to me, can be huge impact player but not the total package rb that Bijan is, at this stage at least.

are elite hands or special hands better?

5 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Gerry's eval: 

i can agree with that.

10 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Hell yeah. Definitely a glider that runs reallllll smooth. Wish we had one burner on the team. (All the ones that were supposed to be are currently being debated as being slow on the football board) anyway, blue was one of the main recruits I wanted next year and we got him a year early, hook em!

sometimes there's bumps along the way

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Gerry's eval: 

Gerry's eval is kinda funny. I just watched his JR season highlights and the dude had about 30 broken tackles in 3 minutes of film. Does not seem to be a weakness of his. 

• Like 1