2022 RB Jaydon Blue

texifornia

• 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, futureman said:

what the fuck does that have to do with anything

Maybe something. Maybe nothing.  Maybe everything.  He could be the wave of the future.  I'd be willing to bet, though, that he has Sark's approval in this gambit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wave of the future.  Until you can cash out at the Semi-pro level (college), then if you're good enough and don't care or have fun at the HS level, then why not treat this as a business.  The business of "amateur" sports has created this phenomenon, this guy is just pushing the envelope.  I don't like it, but I understand it.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, bmbmd said:

Maybe something. Maybe nothing.  Maybe everything.  He could be the wave of the future.  I'd be willing to bet, though, that he has Sark's approval in this gambit. 

That makes it worse, not better. He’s obviously thinking about the NFL, so he’s gone after his junior year-what’s to stop him from sitting that out if there’s already good tape? Or with Bijan gone, assuming he starts then as a sophomore, let’s say he’s dominating through half the season-why not shut it down then?

Approving this just undermines your own team down the road-you’re sowing the seeds of your own destruction.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wave of the future.  Until you can cash out at the Semi-pro level (college), then if you're good enough and don't care or have fun at the HS level, then why not treat this as a business.  The business of "amateur" sports has created this phenomenon, this guy is just pushing the envelope.  I don't like it, but I understand it.

Sophomore and junior tape evaluations just got more interesting.  Wonder how the recruiting services are going to handle this.

Edited by Mdhorn

23 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Sophomore and junior tape evaluations just got more interesting.  Wonder how the recruiting services are going to handle this.

They will act like petulant little bitches. Until he signs on to play for one of their all star games. Early commitments and no seniors would be good for anyone making money of high school football players. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

They will act like petulant little bitches. Until he signs on to play for one of their all star games. Early commitments and no seniors would be good for anyone making money of high school football players. 

That's upsetting, these kids are surrounded by people making money off them in High School.  Who the hell knows what advice they're getting.  16 and 17 year olds need to trust somebody and believing they're adult sharks swimming in shark infested waters can be a serious detriment.  

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yup. Floodgates are open. 

cant be happy that people like Williams and Jefferson are sitting out to prepare for the draft and be mad at Blue for this. 

It’s not about being “mad at Blue”, the kid is free to make whatever boneheaded decisions he wants, I sure did at his age.

If I’m Sark I’m still going out and trying to find a replacement at RB1 in the class, unless something changes.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, elguapo said:

It’s not about being “mad at Blue”, the kid is free to make whatever boneheaded decisions he wants, I sure did at his age.

If I’m Sark I’m still going out and trying to find a replacement at RB1 in the class, unless something changes.

Why would we need a replacement, this puts less wear on him and less chance of suffering an injury. He's still working out practicing and staying in playing shape

My son played with a 4 star running back in high school in Houston, he committed to an SEC school in 2015 before his senior year. There was a noticeable dropoff in performance in his senior year, especially in a loss to a top 10 ranked school in the second round of the playoffs.

With RBs tread life, it’s entirely possible that State U is telling all these guys to protect themselves senior year of HS. What do they have to gain? It’s the times we live in.

Just now, Michael Knight said:

Why would we need a replacement, this puts less wear on him and less chance of suffering an injury. He's still working out practicing and staying in playing shape

I think a kid “opting out” of his senior season of HS football is a huge red flag. At the very least it reveals something about him as a teammate and his desire to play the game. 

I don’t agree that this is comparable to a cfb player opting out of a season because they have a guaranteed pay day coming. He was getting about 15 touches a game which isn’t a heavy load at all in HS. It’s ridiculous to say that a HS senior has nothing left to prove, there is valuable experience to be gained at this point in his development by putting in game reps.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Agree this raises some red flags with respect to commitment to the team, love of the game, etc...  He's free to make his own decisions, but this points to selfishness.  Seems there is also a big difference between playing shape and workout shape - see Demas, Demond.  He may be a great kid and have a great career at Texas, I hope so, but this one is curious.  

Average NFL RB  career is slightly over 3 years. If you are a 4~5 star getting recruited by a Power 5, you are looking at your professional future. I think the math/analytics/whatever is more available to these kids and they are making decisions accordingly. It is what it is.

5 minutes ago, JimmyTwoTimes said:

Average NFL RB  career is slightly over 3 years. If you are a 4~5 star getting recruited by a Power 5, you are looking at your professional future. I think the math/analytics/whatever is more available to these kids and they are making decisions accordingly. It is what it is.

Maybe I’m wrong but I highly doubt “analytics” played a big role in this decision.

I agree with you on the career argument when it comes to cfb RBs that are guaranteed to be drafted, but a HS senior is not in that position.

Edited by elguapo

Just now, DaysOff said:

John Gray and Benson got run into the ground during high school. I'd guess this prevents that when you're the top rb in the state.

And Benson went on to become the second leading rusher in UT history and a 1st round pick. Gray was riddled with injuries in college so that comparison is rather stupid. 

Wonder if the fact that he goes to relatively new high school plays a factor. In my town playing for the high school was a big deal, elementary kids dreamed about it & looked up to the current players. No one grew up dreaming of being a Klein Cain Hurricane. 

I do see the other side of it though, you only get to play high school football once, you’re lucky to play 20 varsity games in your life. That’s a big decision to throw that experience away. Especially so far away from the pros.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I think a kid “opting out” of his senior season of HS football is a huge red flag. At the very least it reveals something about him as a teammate and his desire to play the game. 

I don’t agree that this is comparable to a cfb player opting out of a season because they have a guaranteed pay day coming. He was getting about 15 touches a game which isn’t a heavy load at all in HS. It’s ridiculous to say that a HS senior has nothing left to prove, there is valuable experience to be gained at this point in his development by putting in game reps.

How do you feel about kids graduating early and opting out of their spring semester of high school

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Bags under the table.  Players opting out. Coaches making insane money. Ridiculous seat prices. Cheating everywhere with no ncaa help. At what point does the sport just start losing people who are tired of all the corruption? 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Bags under the table.  Players opting out. Coaches making insane money. Ridiculous seat prices. Cheating everywhere with no ncaa help. At what point does the sport just start losing people who are tired of all the corruption? 

Family, trainers, coaches and athletic companies whoring out players.  If players opt out of their senior years, then they're making business decisions at 16 and 17--which they're already doing with their health, which is probably how they see it.  Everybody talks about the physical and watches tape on it but the mental and intangibles is rough.  Money changes people and it changes everybody around athletes, and all this is at a younger age along with high levels of deception everywhere.  This is Real World reality tv baller edition.  Hard to cheer for everything involved but I guess simplified--cheer burnt orange.    But hard to believe people might be against these gladiators making money off their likeness at a young age--they're influencers.    

1 hour ago, JimmyTwoTimes said:

The RB is kinda a dying position in the NFL. Not many feature backs left, QBs and spread offenses are taking over. I understand he doesn't want to put 300 touches on his tires, but until the NFL starts holding this against kids, they will start doing it more often.

As far as Blue and Texas is concerned, he's going to be the 3rd or 4th option his freshmen year, then likely be the #1 guy his sophomore year after Johnson graduates and Robinson declares. Depending on how good Brooks is and who else Texas adds in the 22 class, Blue is looking at 300+ touches his sophomore season. Najee Harris had 293 touches last year in 13 games. If Texas is playing in the likely expanded playoffs by 2023, Blue will get his touches.