2022 RB Jaydon Blue

texifornia

Hey guys this is a completely OT and random question that I promise I'm just curious about, but is there any way to backdate a new comment or reply within a thread? If so please detail those steps for me. Not asking for a friend!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

You guys are wayyyyyy over reacting.  This is where ncaa football is with the opt outs and this is where high school football is going to head to.  The kid is arguably the best RB in the country.  He wants to protect his body for the next level and at some point he will do the same at Texas if he has a shot at the NFL.  Talking about pulling his scholarship is stupid. Our roster isn’t littered with guys like him.  What this staff needs to do is make sure they get another RB1 to compensate the risk of Blue opting out midway through his junior year.  Even if we can get 1 good season from him, you keep him.  He’s making a business decision and he has every right to do so.  The Texas coaches apparently don’t give a shit.  Is it a selfish move to his high school coaches and teammates?  Yes.  Is it a bad decision for him personally?  Probably not considering RBs have such a short life span.  Ask Jordan Whittington and Jonathan Gray how their senior year affected them from an injury standpoint and body stand point.  

this is where I’m at. If this is the way things are going then fine but just like everything new, this is going to need to play out before  we can really say if this was a wise choice. 

in the end it’s his call. If there are maturity issues well that comes with the territory and it a risk/value assessment on the coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not that I'm aware of...care to explain how that is relevant? 

Well you see.... we're willing to give the benefit of the doubt to one of our current commits so long as a Bama commit is behaving the same way.  However, if one of our players does it without mimicking a Bama player, then our commit is an entitled cancer who should be shown the door.  Especially if a poster claims to have seen said commit behave a certain way at a track meet, not posted about it, but claimed to have posted about it.  I could have missed something but I think that's the stance.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, elguapo said:

I think a kid “opting out” of his senior season of HS football is a huge red flag. At the very least it reveals something about him as a teammate and his desire to play the game. 

I don’t agree that this is comparable to a cfb player opting out of a season because they have a guaranteed pay day coming. He was getting about 15 touches a game which isn’t a heavy load at all in HS. It’s ridiculous to say that a HS senior has nothing left to prove, there is valuable experience to be gained at this point in his development by putting in game reps.

He's actually averaging closer than 22 touches per game and amassed over 400 carries in the last two years.  He's looking out for his future.  Running backs have the shortest shelf life of any position in football.  Almost all of them show significant drop off after the age of 28 and that is because these guys are workhorses usually from the time they start playing football as pee wees all the way through college.  I think its a smart decision.  He already has his college solidified, he is still going to workout and work to improve his game.  He is just going to preserve his body. 

It’s one thing if he’s sitting out to preserve himself, but I agree that it’s a red flag if he’s sitting out because he doesn’t like his coaches. Life is full of stupid people and people you don’t like, but sometimes you just have to get over it and deal with them anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Doc Reeves said:

If there are maturity issues well that comes with the territory and it a risk/value assessment on the coaches.

Yep.

Our coaches could be looking at the situation and thinking they can handle it better than the HS coaches. In fact, I would be worried if our coaches didn't think that way.

Even though it is a red flag, I'm reserving judgment until this shit plays out further. He's 17 and I have no idea as to the type of people he has in his corner. While the situation could be better, it could also be much worse. He's no Marcel Brooks or even Zach Evans for that matter.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

It’s one thing if he’s sitting out to preserve himself, but I agree that it’s a red flag if he’s sitting out because he doesn’t like his coaches. Life is full of stupid people and people you don’t like, but sometimes you just have to get over it and deal with them anyway.

I was going to make a funny about "like Nazis and Klansmen" but this thread is stupid enough as it is.

I say the coaches who are talking with this guy will know best how to deal with it.  I realize you could say that about every recruiting issue, but this one more than most.

So he's not going to take any game reps for the next year and a half, and then very minimal game reps for the year after that as a third or fourth string running back? 

That's going to hurt his chances a lot of being able to handle any kind of a workload in his sophomore year without getting injured. 

Gerry and Nahlin heavily implying that this isn't Blue's first bout of issues.

Nahlin:

Spoiler

His run-ins extend to teammates, and they aren’t always verbal.

Gerry:

Spoiler

If the latest was the first instance something had happened, I would likely be singing a different tune.

Nahlin:
Spoiler

Gerry:
Spoiler

If the latest was the first instance something had happened, I would likely be singing a different tune.

Pride over professionalism. We’ll done, IT.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hermanator said:

So he's not going to take any game reps for the next year and a half, and then very minimal game reps for the year after that as a third or fourth string running back? 

That's going to hurt his chances a lot of being able to handle any kind of a workload in his sophomore year without getting injured. 

I'm all on the red flag team but he's going to be an early enrollee so we're talking no live football reps for 8-9 months maybe, not 18 months.

• Hook 'Em 1

Not really the way I would look at it. He will be enrolled and at Texas in 7 months. He will be with the team nutritionist and trainer what every day after that and training with the team. Even during his sophomore season I wouldn’t expect more than 15 touches a game.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Not really the way I would look at it. He will be enrolled and at Texas in 7 months. He will be with the team nutritionist and trainer what every day after that and training with the team. Even during his sophomore season I wouldn’t expect more than 15 touches a game.

shhh we're trying to tear down one of our own recruits to prove how noble, tough, and virtuous we are on the Internet!!!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

I mean it’s not ideal for a malcontent player to quit his senior year no matter how talented he is and it seems insincere to try and paint this as a normal business decision a player makes because he is concerned with getting overworked or CTE. 

That being said every top prospect should do this and then in college if they are studs as freshmen they should out until the NFL draft. Fuck playing for free. 

• Hook 'Em 5

I mean it’s not ideal for a malcontent player to quit his senior year no matter how talented he is and it seems insincere to try and paint this as a normal business decision a player makes because he is concerned with getting overworked or CTE. 

That being said every top prospect should do this and then in college if they are studs as freshmen they should out until the NFL draft. Fuck playing for free. 
Lots of hs players would love to play for free, and many do at each football program across the country. Of course those guys most likely wont have a shot at making millions or even 500k+ right out of school. Imagine if a player gets his school (including room and board) paid for, a monthly stipend and a good shot at making millions after 3 or 4 years due to the coaching, professional training, nutrition and medical...and now can make extra money on their name and likeness? Doesnt sound like "playing for free" to me...in fact less so now than at any other point in history beyond a tiny percentage who get real bagman money.

20 hours ago, PGFrog said:

These are not a rumor and I told this board what I saw at that track meet. Kid is a headcase and a cancer, but go ahead and attack the high school coaches.

Neg me into oblivion all you fucking want, don't care, but you don't want this kid on your team and it is fucking hilarious watching the experts on this board rationalize this decision.

Time to find out if Sark learned from Saban or if he is going to be like Mensa.

So this kid is closer to a Zach Evans than a Bijan? Ruh roh

Idk. Blue appears to have such huge upside potential that it’s painful to think that that upside could be missed at Texas.

I’ve followed recruiting since 1968 and I don’t *think* I’ve ever heard of a healthy HS player foregoing his senior year to “protect his body”.

We’ve seen guys transfer to other schools for a myriad of reasons, some legitimate, some questionable, but sit out your senior season to “protect the body”? When healthy? In high school? Huh?

What about trying to win a HS championship? How many of us tried like hell to win a HS championship back in the day? Is that not a big deal anymore? I mean, it sure is a big deal.

Somebody mentioned Evans. While no one wants an Evans / Pirrallieu situation, is the evidence there to suggest that is the situation with Blue? What’s this track meet incident about?

As others suggest, I also do not envy Sark & Staff right now. Thus develops the odd case of young Mr. Jaydon Blue.

6 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Even if he gets the NFL money, he will never get back the memories of going to battle with his buddies.  Actually, some will resent him and he will regret his decision when he is older.

Probably not. I doubt he even goes back to wherever he lives after he gets the to 40. I don't think people on the board understand how much money these guys are making at UT now even without going pro. With the NIL stuff happening next season it's gonna get even more bonkers. Like definitely 6 figure for good players maybe 7 figures for some that are incredible. I don't think this is a red flag at all. It's all business. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, immamac said:

Probably not. I doubt he even goes back to wherever he lives after he gets the to 40. I don't think people on the board understand how much money these guys are making at UT now even without going pro. With the NIL stuff happening next season it's gonna get even more bonkers. Like definitely 6 figure for good players maybe 7 figures for some that are incredible. I don't think this is a red flag at all. It's all business. 

Even under the most cynical view, it's a red flag in that there is the clear potential for his personal business interest (protecting his body to make it to the NFL) to undermine the business interest of Texas Football, Inc. (winning). 

9 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Even under the most cynical view, it's a red flag in that there is the clear potential for his personal business interest (protecting his body to make it to the NFL) to undermine the business interest of Texas Football, Inc. (winning). 

I dont really give a shit if every player on the team doesn't bleed orange dude. It would be nice sure, but this is a business for Texas Football as much as it is the individual player. That's the new truth, you should start getting used to it. You think Alabama and Clemson players give 2 shits about the school? They are just trying to get in the best position to get drafted. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Machinator said:

Nahlin:

Reveal hidden contents

Gerry:

Reveal hidden contents

So according to IT, this was more of a Zach Evans situation? That’s an even bigger red flag than simply opting out. 

1 minute ago, sportsbay said:

Greed.... the beginning of the end.  Ever trade?

I would love to live in whatever altruistic world where amateur collegiate sports wasn't a multi billion dollar business. Unfortunately that got ruined a while back, this is the new world we live in - I didn't say I liked it, but much like you I'd rather see the longhorns win (especially championships) than anything else. Jayson Blue is still really fucking good at football and even if it's for 1 year if we can win more games with him than without, then he should be welcomed by the fans.

1 minute ago, immamac said:

I dont really give a shit if every player on the team doesn't bleed orange dude. It would be nice sure, but this is a business for Texas Football as much as it is the individual player. That's the new truth, you should start getting used to it. You think Alabama and Clemson players give 2 shits about the school? They are just trying to get in the best position to get drafted. 

Hmmm...I thought that post WAS getting used to it. If this is indeed the new truth, then my point is a staff has to evaluate if the potential contribution a player makes to Texas Football's interest outweighs the potential for him to undermine it. A guy sitting out an entire year of eligibility (not to mention the rumors of conflict with his coaches/teammates) is, in that sense, a big red flag. They have to weigh that against his talent and decide if it's worth the risk. In this case, it probably is. In others, maybe not so much.

1 minute ago, sportsbay said:

Not saying that I don't want him... ya, I do want him at Texas.  I just want him to do it for the right reasons... part of that is enjoying life over money.  You can't get it back.... no amount of money can buy time spent with buddies in the lockerroom.  I'll take friends over money every time.  

When is the last time you made 610k in one year? That's what you make for being on a roster now. After 4 years that's 910k.

If he can make a roster and stay active/healthy as RB3 or better he is guaranteed almost 3M over 4 years, minus agents cuts. 

It's easy to talk about friends mattering and all that when you are trading friends for all the money and all the time. It's a little harder to make that argument when you can easily have more money than all of your friends combined lifetime earnings before you are 30. 

24 minutes ago, immamac said:

Cheers...

OIP.q7gsnD69UsLY-vRl-YFdoAHaFT?pid=ImgDe

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

You think Alabama and Clemson players give 2 shits about the school? They are just trying to get in the best position to get drafted. 

I do. 

If you had used Ohio State as an example you’d have had a point but I think it’s one of the biggest differentiators between Clemson and the Buckeyes. Clemson has a better culture and does a better job with mental evals. They have less raw talent than tOSU but have bitchfucked them repeatedly, in big part because of the culture. tOSU finally beat them but we’ve seen it play out many more times in favor of Clemson. 

1 hour ago, XOVERX said:

What about trying to win a HS championship? How many of us tried like hell to win a HS championship back in the day? Is that not a big deal anymore?

How many of "us" had an athletic future beyond high school?

23 minutes ago, immamac said:

It's easy to talk about friends mattering and all that when you are trading friends for all the money and all the time. It's a little harder to make that argument when you can easily have more money than all of your friends combined lifetime earnings before you are 30. 

Bingo.

The only reason this doesn't happen more is that these guys are still young enough to believe the horseshit we adults sell them.