Live performance videos

jimmyjazz

As much as I love well-produced studio recordings, live performances are more often than not where the rubber meets the road.  Somehow, all the little mistakes often seem to add up to create a  vibe that's really hard to replicate in a recording studio.  

I don't think I've ever seen this one . . . it shows just how naturally talented Paul McCartney really is:

• Like 5

The moment I saw the "best 80's video" thread I thought "Peter Gabriel -- Sledgehammer".  And in my mind, it IS the best 80's video.  Actually, I'd say it's probably my favorite music video of all time.  I loved the track the moment I first heard it.

So here he is doing it live, and honestly, it's a better performance.  The band is flat out stunning (that's King Crimson's Tony Levin on bass, just listen to that fucking groove and tone).  But it's not just the playing, it's Gabriel himself, owning the place.  Really, quite a masterful job by a bunch of pro's pros:

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So here he is doing it live, and honestly, it's a better performance.  The band is flat out stunning (that's King Crimson's Tony Levin on bass, just listen to that fucking groove and tone).

That fretless mwah is spectacular. Here's another great fretless player, Bakithi Kumalo. The entire concert is great.

• Like 1

Wow.  Clapton and Marsalis doing "Layla" as a dirge.  Amazing.  Clapton is his usual blues-ey self, knowingly unable to really dig into the jazz idiom but smokin' just the same, and then Wynton busts out probably the greatest solo I've ever heard him take.  Usually he feels just a bit too disconnected, a bit too cerebral, but here he lets it out with gorgeous tone and great, adventurous melody.  Wish I had been there:

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's great.  I had no idea Patti Labelle was in a vocal group called Labelle.  (I mean, I always figured it was a stage name, but I had never heard of the group.)

They weren't together for very long, but you gotta listen to two of their albums: "Nightbirds" and "Chameleon." You'll obviously know "Lady Marmalade." Also, check out their version of "Something In the Air" on "Pressure Cookin" - it is transcendant. Nona Hendryx was the brains behind the operation. 

3 minutes ago, Grandioso said:

They weren't together for very long, but you gotta listen to two of their albums: "Nightbirds" and "Chameleon." You'll obviously know "Lady Marmalade." Also, check out their version of "Something In the Air" on "Pressure Cookin" - it is transcendant. Nona Hendryx was the brains behind the operation. 

p.s. In my book it's: 1) The Supremes 2) Labelle 3) Destiny's Child

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 9:26 PM, jimmyjazz said:

The moment I saw the "best 80's video" thread I thought "Peter Gabriel -- Sledgehammer".  And in my mind, it IS the best 80's video.  Actually, I'd say it's probably my favorite music video of all time.  I loved the track the moment I first heard it.

So here he is doing it live, and honestly, it's a better performance.  The band is flat out stunning (that's King Crimson's Tony Levin on bass, just listen to that fucking groove and tone).  But it's not just the playing, it's Gabriel himself, owning the place.  Really, quite a masterful job by a bunch of pro's pros:

Gabriel's Us tour back in 92/93 is still the best concert I have been to.  I still watch it on blu ray prob 3-4 times a year.   And Levin is indeed a genius on the bass.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:45 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Wow.  Clapton and Marsalis doing "Layla" as a dirge.  Amazing.  Clapton is his usual blues-ey self, knowingly unable to really dig into the jazz idiom but smokin' just the same, and then Wynton busts out probably the greatest solo I've ever heard him take.  Usually he feels just a bit too disconnected, a bit too cerebral, but here he lets it out with gorgeous tone and great, adventurous melody.  Wish I had been there:

To piggyback on my earlier comments about Wynton's solo, take the time and listen to it.  Listen how he pulls the band into an impromptu swing time as he makes his way through, and then they go back to the straight dirge.  What a band.

On 7/20/2018 at 11:19 AM, jimmyjazz said:

To piggyback on my earlier comments about Wynton's solo, take the time and listen to it.  Listen how he pulls the band into an impromptu swing time as he makes his way through, and then they go back to the straight dirge.  What a band.

I get the same vibe from Wynton generally, and this was good, but that clarinet player owned that solo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Stoogey said:

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction, Hampton Coliseum in Virginia, December 18, 1981. Significant moments  1:11  1:17.

Stones kinda sold out by this point with their studio recordings, but live shows kind of had a cocaine-fueled 80s charm to em. 

46 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I get lost in the Tinydesk rabbit hole every so often. This is one of my favorites.

I caught their show at the Moody.  I'm not a big slide guitar fan, and though I appreciate Trucks' talent, it's just not really my cup of tea . . . but wow she can sing.  She was the easy star of the show for me.

Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks at Mohawk.

Good set of all Jicks material. Played some Pavement for the encore. Interesting crowd. I thought it’d be mainly 40-50s but it was mostly 20 somethings. I had no idea young people would be into, or even aware of, his style of 90s lackadaisical rock.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know we don’t have a lot (any?) of other Alter Bridge fans here, but they’re in my personal top 10

They have a new live album with a backing orchestra and it includes a song that they’ve never played live because of a note at the end.

Myles Kennedy is a 100% badass and went for it. Did. Not Disappoint.

I hope someone else enjoys this as much as I did
  • Like 2