Live performance videos

jimmyjazz

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Midnight Special started a YouTube channel a few months back and  have posted up a bunch of song performances and full shows from the 70’s.

Everything about this video is great, from the back-up singers to Skunk ripping a great solo.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm not sure I ever heard that this happened . . . I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it.  It's a Nirvana "reunion" at CalJam in 2018.  Joan Jett does a pretty credible job of channeling Kurt Cobain.  Scroll back if you want to hear the Deer Tick dude sing a few songs with them, too.

Man, I wish he hadn't died.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of live, this is a little weird, it's a studio shot from out west of Austin for some kind of patronage.  The band has received a grant and so they did a set in studio.  Too small a crowd to get any vibe, but the video is good and the audio is . . . OK.  A few new tunes that I really dig.  Hopefully the video starts at ~ 1:37:00.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From 2003, the first year I saw them.  My older son and I saw them in Dallas this year, and after 20 years, they still bring it.  

And if you're in the I don't like Ween's music camp, jump to this point in the show and listen to them cover Zeppelin.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2

More Crowded House excellence.  That ending verse, and the crowd, and the smiles of joy on their faces.  All beautiful:  

The finger of blame has turned upon itself
And I'm more than willing to offer myself
Do you want my presence or need my help?
Who knows where that might lead
I fall

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

More Crowded House excellence.  That ending verse, and the crowd, and the smiles of joy on their faces.  All beautiful:  

Neil Finn has such an extraordinary talent for crafting melody.  His lyrics can be angular and even obscure, which simultaneously masks his intent and lets the listener develop their own meaning, but they're carried on such beautiful melodies that I doubt most know what's going on.  He's an absolute master, up there with Lennon and McCartney.

I saw them in 2016.  I really didn't want to go because I couldn't imagine them still being as good as I remembered.  I was WRONG.   One of the best shows I've ever seen.  I never really paid much attention to Fall At Your Feet, but live......with that extended extra chorus.   I still get chills thinking about it.  

The joy in the crowds' individual and collective faces.  

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

I saw them in 2016.  

I only saw them once, in their heyday.  I know I've told it before, but what the hell.  Front row-ish, standing general admission, Austin Opera House in Travis Heights.  They were playing great and at one point Neil says "hey, this is a music town, does anybody out there sing and have a cover suggestion?

Somebody shouted out "Brown Eyed Girl".

Neil rolls his eyes . . . "can you actually sing it?"  "Yeah!"  "Alright, come on up!"

So at that point some dipshit screams "I can play it on guitar!"  Neil kinda blinked and said "if you can actually play it, come on up" and handed his guitar to this dude.

Another guy screams "I can handle the bass part!".  Things are getting really weird, but Nick handed him his bass.  At this point Neil says (effectively) "fuck it, anybody play drums?"  Yep, some guy screams "I do!!!".

At this point the crowd is dying and the band just sorta threw up their hands and jumped down with us.  Meanwhile, a bunch of spares who had no business being on stage regaled us with the worst version of "Brown Eyed Girl" any of us had ever heard.  The band ate it up.  Good dudes.

• Hook 'Em 2

Don't where else to ask this.  But it was on some other thread like 1-2 years ago on some forum here.  The song itself was used as an audio overlay for some scene in a somewhat-famous show.  But then somebody posted the original live performance on some European variety hour in the 60's/70's.  The singer performs phonetically, but maybe has a cursory English prowess.  He's on stage in glasses and creepy long black leather jacket and begins singing to a group of young women seated in student desks (they're in their 20's probably).  And he starts out berating them in spoken cadence before the song rolls in.  And it kinda floats, IIRC, between languages.  

Anybody remember the fuck i'm talking about?  I know I'm going senile, but this is a song I knew I learned through this wretched place.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:48 PM, YGIFS said:

Don't where else to ask this.  But it was on some other thread like 1-2 years ago on some forum here.  The song itself was used as an audio overlay for some scene in a somewhat-famous show.  But then somebody posted the original live performance on some European variety hour in the 60's/70's.  The singer performs phonetically, but maybe has a cursory English prowess.  He's on stage in glasses and creepy long black leather jacket and begins singing to a group of young women seated in student desks (they're in their 20's probably).  And he starts out berating them in spoken cadence before the song rolls in.  And it kinda floats, IIRC, between languages.  

Anybody remember the fuck i'm talking about?  I know I'm going senile, but this is a song I knew I learned through this wretched place.

Yes (I think). I posted a video someone had sent me in response to me wondering what English sounded like to someone who doesn't know English. It was from some Italian show with the "singer" making English sounding noises similar to me after 4 semesters of French going "ah foo foo foo". 

https://youtu.be/-VsmF9m_Nt8?si=4OBodJ0phIk8tK1D

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:15 PM, dcbc said:

I probably had a few drinks and posted this a few years ago, but let's do it again.  Also, I realize this is like the @Brisketexansignal over Gotham.  And yes, I got to see Susannah Hoffs live once, and it was spectacular.

Didn't know they recorded September Gurls.  Cool job by them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/17/2023 at 6:29 AM, G650 said:

Damn, I missed this thread,  I should have put this Spacehog show here instead of the concert thread.

Saw Royston Langdon open for The Fixx at Antone's.  Still sounded great.  He's been touring with a Bowie tribute show...

image.thumb.png.24867e4ccfc381c467b3cfd2af5498ff.png

• Like 1