Live performance videos

jimmyjazz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have never seen Bowie that gregarious.  He was definitely half lit.

He was a genetic miracle -- the looks and body of a fashion model, the voice of an angel, the eye for trends few music mavens could match.  I don't think he ever broke any ground, he just found the groundbreakers and lifted them up.

• Like 1

Yeah, he was such a consumate professional that seeing his lead up to the tune was striking.  I love it when mega legends like him are genuinely having a good time while performing.  A lot of performers fake it and even more don't even try, but you know when it's real b/c it permeates everything - the band, the audience, the visuals, the sound, all of it.

It creates a connectedness (is that a word?) that is rare and unmistakable when it engulfs your senses.  Tough to describe, but we all know it the second it happens.

And, yeah, the gifts the guy had are beyond unfair.  He gracefully leveraged his humility to the extent that there seemed to always be another superstar or superstars to-be in his gravitational field, but he never seemed to feel the need to be the center of that solar system.  I always thought this video encapsulated it so well.  The way he does his bit, very much makes it his in that moment, but then steps back into the shadows with hands clasped behind his back because it's about the music, not him.  For me, and I don't think I'm unique, his humility only adds to the mystique  --

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm more impressed with the bass & keys than the guitar.  There is some serious deep tone coming out of that bass.

Guitarist reminded me of Terry Kath when got really going.

Maybe that’s why I liked it so much.  Terry with a touch of Larry Carlton.

Holy crap.  I will go to my grave asserting that

1.  Taylor Hawkins might be the best rock drummer since John Bonham

2.  As a rock vocalist, Ann Wilson is likely only eclipsed by Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury.  40+ years on and she can still bring it.

• Like 3

Holy crap.  I will go to my grave asserting that
1.  Taylor Hawkins might be the best rock drummer since John Bonham
2.  As a rock vocalist, Ann Wilson is likely only eclipsed by Robert Plant and Freddie Mercury.  40+ years on and she can still bring it.

Just because you know it’s coming, he’s not even the best rock drummer in his band! And I’m a huge fan of Taylor

You know, ole Freddy M over the years has garnered so much attention for that Live Aid performance (not saying it isn't deserved) that I think some others who were on that stage got a little lost in the weeds.  Here's one worthy, I believe, of this thread.  Shit is good ---

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You know, ole Freddy M over the years has garnered so much attention for that Live Aid performance (not saying it isn't deserved) that I think some others who were on that stage got a little lost in the weeds.  Here's one worthy, I believe, of this thread.  Shit is good ---

I had forgotten about that. Damn cool.

16 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I had forgotten about that. Damn cool.

Blown out Mullet Bono was the best Bono, except for the bolo tie.  Those things were everywhere for about 2 years around that time.  Don't remember if Bono kicked it off or was just riding along.

• Hook 'Em 1

these are some that i was in attendance for:

no video unfortunately but pretty damn good audio considering it is almost 27 years old. this show was fucking nuts

quality is not so good but this show is significant to me because the wife went with me (she did not like them but she used to humor me still back then) and she didn't feel good afterwards for a few days. we found out later it was because she was preggo with our oldest boy

last time I got to see these guys...

one of my favorite bands to see live

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first concert was Neil Young and Crazy Horse with Sonic Youth/Social Distortion - March 1991 (Ragged Glory tour, The Summit-Houston). I still get chills thinking about those opening distorted notes from this song.

• 2 weeks later...

Two thoughts on this one:

Susanna Hoffs has always had, always will have, it. :woodplow

And it's like a bunch of middle school  teachers went out for happy hour and picked up some guitars on karaoke night

Edited by HiggyBaby

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 11:40 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

Austin before the noise ordinance when City Hall was a husk of a warehouse. I know sound men hate the "Let's crank it up, doods!" guitarist, but for whatever reason, Liberty Lunch had some just blazingly loud shows that sounded clear as a bell. 

Used to love seeing Sixteen Deluxe.  Also enjoyed Tripping Daisy and seeing Rev Horton Heat and others at Emos.  The Motards were always fun.  Good times.  

40 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Got damn.  I wanna be that trumpet player.  It would take me years to get back to that level, if ever.  That was a smokin' hot performance by Sturgill.

By the end, it's swinging and he's blasting over it all.  Also, I wish all the ads at the end didn't obstruct the final crescendo.  

Edited by Mdhorn

OK, I'm not the biggest fan of Dave Letterman's band, but at times they could set aside their janky schlock and really play, as evidenced here supporting Steve Winwood at the peak of his mid-80's resurgence.  Surely the Spencer Davis Group's "Gimme Some Loving'", featuring 18-year old "Stevie" on vocals, lead guitar, organ and piano, and who wrote the song, is a top 10 rock song of all time.  Just unreal.  Here he is, 20 years later, singing it perfectly.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:44 PM, Cajun said:

Man I love to see a talented band having a genuinely good time on stage.  And, as usual, EVH's guitar work -- Fuuuuuuuuuuck...

I'm very partial to DLR Van Halen(the swing left when DLR left) but I bet Eddie was so happy that he had a guy that could sing and basically would let Eddie do his thing without having to figure out what hell his lead singer was gonna do next.

• 2 weeks later...