Tyler, Texas

Saint Austin

2 hours ago, Saint Austin said:

Looks like I'm going to be out there for a week for a trial (the Eastern District doesn't believe in COVID).

No food recommendations, but I can relate to your court setting.  A Hays County judge on his own set a trial in March, and the proceeding will be in person.  Nothing on the court's website contains any kind of COVID safety plan in terms of masks, courtroom capacity, etc.  Thankfully I'll have my second Moderna shot before then. 

• Like 1

My folks and in laws live in Tyler.  I grew up there.  I believe we have a few other folks who live there currently on the site. @dcbc comes to mind.

Bruno's is good.  They have two locations.  South Tyler location on Old Jacksonville Hwy is the newer of the two.  Jucy's is a good burger and they have a few locations as well.  Don Juan's is my favorite tex-mex place but Jalapeno Tree on the Loop isn't too bad.  Taqueria El Lugar is legit as well.  Never had Stanley's but heard it's good.

• Hook 'Em 3

Stanley's, for sure.  They have a new bar that is fantastic as well.  Sadly, Roast Social Kitchen (same owners) closed a month or so ago.  Don Juan's on the square for Mexican food.  Culture ETX on the square is excellent.  Bring your own bottle of wine for that one.  Black Pearl oyster bar is good for drinks downtown.  The Grove has a good bar and atmosphere.  Service is hit and miss.  The food is fine.  Villagio del Vino is pretty good.  There's also a new steak house where Jack Ryan's steakhouse used to be in the BofA building.  Not sure if that one is open yet.

ETX brewing company has a good selection of their beer on tap and pretty good food, but avoid anything on the menu that's called "nachos."  It's on Broadway just south of the square. 

Jucy's is a good burger.  Hit up the location on Old Jacksonville highway.  The one on 5th is gross.

Los Guerros on Vine has good tacos and a drive thru. 

Sorry about the Eastern District.  No one around here asked me for my opinion on the subject. 

Of all of those, I'd hit up Stanley's and Culture ETX for sure.  Also, both of those places have zero tolerance for bullshit when it comes to mask wearing. 

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Los Guerros on Vine has good tacos and a drive thru. 

I'd second that one.  Owner is a guy who also owns a plumbing business who did some commercial work for my dad when he owned his restaurant.  Posados on Gentry is surprisingly decent.  My dad's old restaurant, too.

1 minute ago, pearlandhorn said:

I'd second that one.  Owner is a guy who also owns a plumbing business who did some commercial work for my dad when he owned his restaurant.  Posados on Gentry is surprisingly decent.  My dad's old restaurant, too.

The breakfast tacos are solid.  The fact that there's a drive thru means I eat there more than I should.

Posados and Mercados are owned by the same family, who are friends of ours.  It's fine, but I consider it chain level that's a step up from OtB.  That is, I'll go there without complaint, but it's never my choice.

Also, I'll second whoever mentioned Bruno's. 

Here's another one.  I just ate at a Mediterranean restaurant called Tiba's last week.  Pretty good.

1 hour ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

damn...hate to hear the downfall of the EDTX.  used to be the best kept secret in the federal judiciary when T. John Ward and John Hannah (and surprisingly Leonard Davis) were sitting, though i think Heartfield is still on the bench.

I was just referring to how covid is being handled around here generally as opposed to the quality of the federal judiciary.  I've known Leonard Davis for twenty years.  He was the Chuck Norris of the Eastern District.  The drying up of the rocket docket wasn't done at this level. 

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

DIdnt realize Jack Ryan’s had closed, but haven’t been to court in Tyler since pre-COVID, which now makes me hungry for the Four Meat Plate at Stanley’s.

Rick’s on the Square — been there for lunch, but not dinner.  Food was pretty good.

Rick's used to have a really good cowboy cut ribeye.  I haven't eaten there in a while.  I think the new place (also a steakhouse) was supposed to have opened at the end of January.  Hell of a space.  Hope the new place is good.

I was just referring to how covid is being handled around here generally as opposed to the quality of the federal judiciary.  I've known Leonard Davis for twenty years.  He was the Chuck Norris of the Eastern District.  The drying up of the rocket docket wasn't done at this level. 

ahhh...got it.

Judge Hannah was a badass. loved being in the Lufkin Division.

6 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

I’ve got some great Hannah stories, as well as some Howell Cobb stories. if the opportunity arises i’ll share.

for now...Country Tavern was my go-to when i was traversing from Nac to Tyler.

I haven't been there in years.  I remember its being good, but kind of expensive and a bit of a drive.

There was a place called Y'all's BBQ on some little backroad off of 31 closer to town.  Okay BBQ, seasonal sides.  Just a little shack of a place.  Not Pat G's level out of the way, but might be in 20 years. 

I'm a Stanley's groupie though.  Nick Pencis was one of the first people I met when I moved here, back when he still was playing drums for the Greyhounds.  So I tend not to stray too far from Stanley's when I'm eating BBQ in town that I didn't cook. 

I know I risk being labeled a heretic for being nonplussed with Country Tavern.  But I'm a Houston transplant, albeit a twenty years ago one.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

it’s been 12 years since I lived in Nac...best i can recall Stanley’s wasn’t around and ‘cue didn’t have the cult following it does now though i was always searching for good smoked meat on the backroads.

the ex-wife and i would go and gorge on ribs and beer, and dance it off on the dance floor after we were done, completed sated.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I didn't know him, but I know someone who clerked for him back in the day and who very much idolized him. 

Davis was actually my least favorite Tyler/Longview/Marshall patent judge.  We had this epic design patent case there, where the only problem was that the plaintiffs design patents weren't even arguably infringed because they didn't patent all their shit because they were cheap or lazy.  They tried to copyright their designs for useful articles and the Copyright Office refused registration.  Davis reluctantly granted summary judgment that their useful articles were not copyrightable, and concluded that Congress needed to make a law protecting such designs.  Well, they did, ya big dummy.  Design patents.  

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, dcbc said:

The TC Heartland venue decision changed the dynamics over there.  

With Alan Albright getting the seat in the Western District, a lot of the patent docket has shifted west

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

With Alan Albright getting the seat in the Western District, a lot of the patent docket has shifted west

12 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

it’s been 12 years since I lived in Nac...best i can recall Stanley’s wasn’t around and ‘cue didn’t have the cult following it does now though i was always searching for good smoked meat on the backroads.

the ex-wife and i would go and gorge on ribs and beer, and dance it off on the dance floor after we were done, completed sated.

Stanley's has been around since the 1950s.  The Pencis family took it over around 2005, and it didn't start taking off until maybe 2007 or 2008.  So that makes sense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Davis was actually my least favorite Tyler/Longview/Marshall patent judge.  We had this epic design patent case there, where the only problem was that the plaintiffs design patents weren't even arguably infringed because they didn't patent all their shit because they were cheap or lazy.  They tried to copyright their designs for useful articles and the Copyright Office refused registration.  Davis reluctantly granted summary judgment that their useful articles were not copyrightable, and concluded that Congress needed to make a law protecting such designs.  Well, they did, ya big dummy.  Design patents.  

I never practiced before him on the federal level.  But he took a chance and hired me in 2001 and was great to work for at the state appellate level.  Always treated me well.  All that is to say that, on a personal level, I like him.  When I worked with him, we didn't always agree.  But he listened when I offered a conflicting opinion, even when he had made up his mind.  And, if I'm honest, he probably was right.  He also would come by at random and invite me to lunch, and we had lunch a couple of more times after he took the federal bench.  He always was easy going and friendly on that level, even though he was, to borrow a phrase, large and in charge.

Edited by dcbc

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Something was being done right for a while for people to be traveling to Marshall.  I don't do anything on the fed side of things.   So I'm just parroting out of my arse other than, it was hot for years and now, it ain't.

i’m two blocks from his courtroom, though i no longer practice in federal court. i run a couple or three miles around lunch and often pass him on my run. we’ve made small talk and he seems like a helluva nice guy. dunno if he knows i’m a lawyer, but comes across as he wouldn’t care anyway: he seems more interested in the person. that’s a good thing.

being a criminal lawyer, i’ve heard good and bad. but in those stories are things that make me want to start a federal practice.
  • Hook 'Em 2

i’m two blocks from his courtroom, though i no longer practice in federal court. i run a couple or three miles around lunch and often pass him on my run. we’ve made small talk and he seems like a helluva nice guy. dunno if he knows i’m a lawyer, but comes across as he wouldn’t care anyway: he seems more interested in the person. that’s a good thing.

being a criminal lawyer, i’ve heard good and bad. but in those stories are things that make me want to start a federal practice.

25 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

He was a good lawyer, and is a good Judge, at least on the patent/civil side.  No insight on criminal.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:09 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

If you pass Albright on your run, you're a fast runner.

Edited by Jerry Callo

I threw a bottle through a window at Don Juan’s on October 16, 2003. 

I worked in Tyler 2 years out of college - Stanley’s, Don Juan’s and Bruno’s is where all my money went.

I almost got shot in the courthouse shooting (my good friend did). I had to interview the lady that stoned her kids to death. 

Fucked up place, Tyler is. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

8 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I threw a bottle through a window at Don Juan’s on October 16, 2003. 

I worked in Tyler 2 years out of college - Stanley’s, Don Juan’s and Bruno’s is where all my money went.

I almost got shot in the courthouse shooting (my good friend did). I had to interview the lady that stoned her kids to death. 

Fucked up place, Tyler is. 

If you were in Tyler from 2003--2005, we probably ran into each other at Stanley's.  Not quite the revolving door of people it is today.  The deck went in at some point in that time frame, but the roof/enclosure didn't go in for several years after that. 

Sorry about your friend.  My wife was headed to Tyler from Longview for a hearing that afternoon.  I remember calling her telling her to get off of 271.  She probably would have driven right through the finale. 

Definitely more to Tyler than meets the eye, not all of it is good.  But a lot about it is better than it was 15 years ago.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

The dad of my exgirlfriend owned Beckham Shoe Repair right next to Stanley's.  I went there (Stanley's) a few times when I'd go pick up some shoes or leather he was fixing for me.  It was OK back then.  Haven't eaten there in a long while.  May go there this weekend.

That guy does solid shoe work.  I think he's over by Caldwell now.  Depending on how long ago you had Stanley's, you're probably in for a treat.  I think the brisket has gotten noticeably better over the last five years. 

Edited by dcbc

46 minutes ago, dcbc said:

That guy does solid shoe work.  I think he's over by Caldwell now.  Depending on how long ago you had Stanley's, you're probably in for a treat.  I think the brisket has gotten noticeably better over the last five years. 

He's the best at what he does, in my opinion.  He is over by Caldwell now.  Dropped off some stuff at his new place about 6 months ago.  Very good guy. 

I'll have to give Stanley's a shot, maybe Friday.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

He's the best at what he does, in my opinion.  He is over by Caldwell now.  Dropped off some stuff at his new place about 6 months ago.  Very good guy. 

I'll have to give Stanley's a shot, maybe Friday.

Mother Clucker Sandwich is Strong, to Charlie Strong.

• Hook 'Em 1

The new place is Prime downtown.  Backed by the Brookshires and Bergfelds.  Manager/minority owner has pretty good restaurant credentials(for Tyler).

Love Bernards for dinner and Villa Villagio for happy hour/light dinner.

Jucys and Brunos for lunch.

The Diner for breakfast.

Don't live there but have spent a lot of time there.

1 hour ago, UncleSonny said:

Haven't been there in years but growing up Brunos was the best pizza spot for sure. I was sad to hear the owner, Jay, died last year. I didn't know him well but have some mutual friends that were pretty close with him.

Yeah, I saw that floating around on facebook.  I believe his son played baseball at LSU as well.  Don't expect great service if you do eat at Bruno's though.  The food is great, service sucks.

14 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Yeah, I saw that floating around on facebook.  I believe his son played baseball at LSU as well.  Don't expect great service if you do eat at Bruno's though.  The food is great, service sucks.

Love Bruno's, but skip the salad.  One mealy bit of iceberg lettuce and a pound of mozzarella with dressing and a couple of black olives is delicious, but it's not a salad.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Love Bruno's, but skip the salad.  One mealy bit of iceberg lettuce and a pound of mozzarella with dressing and a couple of black olives is delicious, but it's not a salad.

I don’t do carbs very often and typically just get the antipasta salad with their house Italian. It’s not bad. My son loves their pizza and my folks love their spaghetti and lasagna. It’s definitely one of the better pizza places in Tyler.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/3/2021 at 7:22 PM, dcbc said:

I haven't been there in years.  I remember its being good, but kind of expensive and a bit of a drive.

There was a place called Y'all's BBQ on some little backroad off of 31 closer to town.  Okay BBQ, seasonal sides.  Just a little shack of a place.  Not Pat G's level out of the way, but might be in 20 years. 

I'm a Stanley's groupie though.  Nick Pencis was one of the first people I met when I moved here, back when he still was playing drums for the Greyhounds.  So I tend not to stray too far from Stanley's when I'm eating BBQ in town that I didn't cook. 

I know I risk being labeled a heretic for being nonplussed with Country Tavern.  But I'm a Houston transplant, albeit a twenty years ago one.

If you want BBQ there is zero reason to go to any other place in the Tyler area (not including Bodacious in Longview) that isn't Stanleys. Good bar area, good non BBQ options (GET THE MOTHER CLUCKER) and live music.

The only people that truly love Country Tavern and think it is better BBQ than Stanleys or Bodacious - and trust me they exist in ETX - remember it for what it was like 30 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

For this who have mentioned Ruby's, great call. I tried it for the first time today. #1 beef tacos were fantastic. Easily my favorite taco in town at this point. Had a bit of the flautas, and they were fine. The Pizzadilla looks delicious, too.