Sheridan’s "Those who wish me Dead"

Juicy

• Juicy changed the title to Sheridan’s "Those who wish me Dead"
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/3/2021 at 7:25 AM, WBT said:

Movies anyway.  I still watch Yellowstone for the scenery and the ridiculousness but the writing doesn't exactly hold up.

Neither does the writing in his movies.

Sicario was carried by great direction.

Hell or High Water was  good, but the action plays out like it was written by someone who gets their ideas from playing GTA.

Wind River was forgettable. Ditto on the dumb action and there was some pretty stupid plot shit that I can't even remember now.

Sicario 2, I don't even remember either.

Haven't seen" Without Remorse" but it's getting subpar reviews.

I know a lot of Sheridan dick slurping goes on around here, but I'm very lukewarm on him.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1

It was OK.  The book was better.  It was only about 1:40 long.  I feel like they could have spent more time on the front end establishing the characters.  The bad guys needed to be about 50% creepier too.

Spoiler

Also the ending was dumb.  The book specifically says that you couldn't survive a fire by laying in a creek.  You may not burn but there's going to be no breathable air.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

The accountant should’ve went straight to the press and it would’ve most likely prevented his death since there’s be no point. Then there’s no movie, I guess.

Also, 12 year olds don’t have goddamn chemistry tests.

I was wondering throughout the movie.

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

Angelina is a fine actress, but her glowing skincare and smokey eye makeup was distracting lol. 

I found it distracting too. Never could see her as the character due to her get up. You think the director would have noticed the incongruity of a fire jumper looking like a Cosmopolitan model.

Does the book flush out the bad guys any better?  
just in case.... 

The bad guys in the book were actual bad guys. They weren’t just random dudes.

They were brothers who were creepy and strategic as fuck.

The whole anonymous bad guy angle made no sense. Like wouldn’t they just send more of them?

I get why they changed some things from the book but they changed the wrong parts.

Spoiler

in the book Angelina sacrifices herself for Conner/jace. Which made for a great ending.

It’s like they tried to do that with the punisher’s character but he didn’t even save anyone. The ending is one thing they definitely shouldn’t have fucked with but instead they did and the ending sucked ass.

There was no syndicate in the book. The bad guys were on their own.

The brothers had a way of talking that they was super creepy because they didn’t talk to their victims only to each other which made the victims so uneasy. Here they were just dudes.

Aside from a loose plot I think the only thing they used from the book was “you’re pointing it the wrong way” which was one of the better scenes in the movie.

Wtf were they doing with Hannah they took her from like a tortured soul to like a reckless wild child. She wanted the tower in the book and the movie she felt it was punishment.

Also the lightning strikes. Wtf. Struck by lighting twice in the same movie?

This was By far the worst thing Sheridan as done. And that includes the where’s Wallace string abortion on Amazon.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Admittedly I'm not a big Jolie fan, but she seemed exceptionally poorly cast for this part.  The movie was okay, but it's not something I'll likely ever watch again.

Yep.  This movie requires a ton of suspension of belief. Filled some time on this rainy Sunday morning, but I’ll forget it by next weekend. 

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Never could see her as the character due to her get up. You think the director would have noticed the incongruity of a fire jumper looking like a Cosmopolitan model.

yep...she's stunning and they didn't even try to make her believable as an obviously outdoorsey, grizzled, veteran firefighter type...i mean, i'm not saying she needed to be all Charlize Theron a la Monster...but they could have at least laid off the model makeup 🙄

i don't know why that bugged me so much...all her closeups i just kept thinking 'oh come on!' 😄

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1) Sheridan took over direction of the movie late in the process and told execs, “I want Angelina as lead. Without her, I dont do it.” 

2) New Mexico is fucking gorgeous

3) Acting was solid, but I agree that they needed Angelina to be a little more gritty. Kid did a good job. 

4) Ending was abrupt. I was expecting more Tyler Perry. One scene? Wtf?

5) Yeah, the lightning strike in the field was bad. The action was fine. The movie seemed disjointed almost, for some reason.

Finally - as with most Sheridan movies, the technical stuff was pretty damn good. It seems he researches his stuff pretty well. Yeah, there were a few wtf or lol moments, but overall I enjoy his tone/style.

That being said, the movie was ok and much better than the Without Remorse.

Id like to see another project that is all Sheridan, start to finish a la Wind River. But I can also vibe with the people that think hes losing his luster

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

1) Sheridan took over direction of the movie late in the process and told execs, “I want Angelina as lead. Without her, I dont do it.” 

2) New Mexico is fucking gorgeous

3) Acting was solid, but I agree that they needed Angelina to be a little more gritty. Kid did a good job. 

4) Ending was abrupt. I was expecting more Tyler Perry. One scene? Wtf?

5) Yeah, the lightning strike in the field was bad. The action was fine. The movie seemed disjointed almost, for some reason.

Finally - as with most Sheridan movies, the technical stuff was pretty damn good. It seems he researches his stuff pretty well. Yeah, there were a few wtf or lol moments, but overall I enjoy his tone/style.

That being said, the movie was ok and much better than the Without Remorse.

Id like to see another project that is all Sheridan, start to finish a la Wind River. But I can also vibe with the people that think hes losing his luster

Pretty much my thouhts. It was okay. Filled an hour and a half on a Saturday after doing yard work all day, with a good beer buzz. I won't be watching it again. 

Also, good to see Carcetti Littlefinger finding some work. 

This movie made me wanna read to book to fill in the gaps.

Yes, Angelina's make-up was a distraction.

Yes, the kid was great.

And who knew a six month pregnant lady could take a beat down, ride a horse, shoot in the dark and survive a fire?

All in the same night.

Edited by Davis Lane

On 5/15/2021 at 10:00 PM, CooterBrown said:

It kinda bugged me the smoke jumpers were all drunk risk taking bros. I’d bet the real ones are obnoxiously safety conscious and dead serious mofos.

I've got a buddy who did that for years.

Kept a bottle of bourbon in his kit instead of his safety parachute.

Watched it a couple nights ago. Didn’t love it but didn’t hate it. I was entertained enough, it was free through HBO, and I appreciate that it was 1h40m instead of 3hr like many newer movies tend to be.

Agree with the criticisms about Jolie’s model appearance throughout the movie. It was distracting.

For any GoT fans, the movie might be worth the watch just to see Littlefinger’s end.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what are we considering good Sheridan and bad Sheridan? 

Good : Wind River, Sicario, Hell or High Water 

Middle of the road: Yellowstone

Bad : Those Who Wish Me Dead 

I love Yellowstone for the record. Just trying to put together an impartial list.

The first Sicario was Great! The second one was so, so. Maybe in the Middle bracket. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So what are we considering good Sheridan and bad Sheridan? 

Good : Wind River, Sicario, Hell or High Water 

Middle of the road: Yellowstone

Bad : Those Who Wish Me Dead 

I love Yellowstone for the record. Just trying to put together an impartial list.

Without Remorse is in the bad category.

Just watched and thought it sucked.  Was there production issues with this because like others said it felt disjointed and rushed.  Almost like they changed directors and re wrote the script half way through.  My wife made me watch it as she said the book was great but there was so much lazy writing where they are able to track the family from Florida to Montana because they saw a picture on the wall and figured that is where he would go.  Stuff like that is just stupid and no I wasn’t expecting an Oscar winner but maybe they could try a little harder to make a coherent well written action/thriller flick.

Edited by Beantown Express 2.0

Wrote and directed: Wind River, Those Who Wish Me Dead (he originally just wrote Those Who Wish Me Dead, but when the other director backed out, Sheridan said he would direct it “only if Angelina was going to be the lead”)

He also has written and directed all of Yellowstone

Wrote: Sicario, Sicario 2 (which his script was heavily changed before production), Hell or High Water, Without Remorse (supposedly Without Remorse also had problems getting off the ground as well)

4 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Wrote and directed: Wind River, Those Who Wish Me Dead (he originally just wrote Those Who Wish Me Dead, but when the other director backed out, Sheridan said he would direct it “only if Angelina was going to be the lead”)

He also has written and directed all of Yellowstone

Wrote: Sicario, Sicario 2 (which his script was heavily changed before production), Hell or High Water, Without Remorse (supposedly Without Remorse also had problems getting off the ground as well)

from this i'd say his biggest flaw is terrible casting...supermodel glam Jolie as a rugged outdoorsy forest firefighter and perpetual 'good guy' Costner as head of a criminal mafia-style family lol 😄

54 minutes ago, mchookem said:

from this i'd say his biggest flaw is terrible casting...supermodel glam Jolie as a rugged outdoorsy forest firefighter and perpetual 'good guy' Costner as head of a criminal mafia-style family lol 😄

Hell or High Water had great casting.  Sicario, also, and I'm not that huge a fan.  Can't complain much about Wind River, either.

Now, you could argue that bad casting doesn't help.

• Like 1

I think he chooses great actors. Ben Foster is one of the most under appreciated actors in the game. Bridges, duh, and Pine is solid. Aiden Gillian (Littlefinger, Carcinetti) is fantastic. Del Toro is a given. Jeremy Renner is underrated as well. 

To me, it seems like he’s spread too thin, too much work, not enough time.