Any of you 1% folks invest in franchises?

closetohumping

Been gettin that itch as this 8 to 5 stuff wears me down.  I know restaurants are much longer hours, but I was in the business all of my life and actually owned one of my own.  But,but CTH, if you already owned one, why go the franchise route?  Because I'm looking for the easier button.  Any stories?  Good, bad, nightmares, successes, don't matter.  

I saw one for a Mac n Cheese chain.  didn't dive deep, but wondering if something easy like that could work?

Not a fan - at all.  Start journaling about things you think make sense for a business, start doing due diligence, take a look at what you know what’s adjacent to what you know, match with a need, uncover risks and solve for them, find others to fill expertise gaps and start something close to your skill set. Start small, don’t go all in, then next thing you know it’s yours and it’s working.  Starting and building a business is old fashion work with a strong strategic component. But it’s not magic. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I believe there’s a poster on here who works for a company that matches franchises with investors wants and expectations. He had some amazing insight he put on TOS that helped bring things into focus for me, personally. 

The reality is that it’s an incredible amount of work to be successful. The more hands off you are the more you have to pay for adequate management.  

As an IP guy who has been involved in some franchise disputes, I would offer that the BRAND is all that a franchisor has to sell.  That brand had better be worth it.  They like to pretend that they are giving you all kinds of business help, a turnkey business if you will, but that tends to be illusory and all the "procedures" you have to follow and items you have to buy bearing the brand just become a needless and expensive hindrance.