Curb Your Enthusiasm: Best scenes, scenarios

Gil Bang

Excellent episode.

For those of you concerned about when it airs again, if you have HBO, then you have access to the app, so watch the entire series (or anything on HBO, including most movies) whenever you want. I did the entire Curb run a few months ago. And if you don’t have a smart TV, invest $25 in a Roku or Amazon Fire device.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

It was fine.  It wasn't groundbreaking or immediately memorable.  

I didn't realize it was starting up again last night. Caught it as I was getting in bed last night and turned it on. It was late and I was tired but it didn't immediately grab me. Wondering if this whole premise has gotten stale to me. Apparently there's only so much uncomfortable, illogical, Costanza-like stupidity that I can handle these days. I have to admit Garlin/Weinstein was damn funny as well as the "over-the-top" goodbye to somebody you were ignoring all night when you leave the party was on point.

Man I thought the episode was great.

I was lukewarm on the last season, but I laughed my ass off several times last night.

• The selfie stick.
  • The scooters.
  • Garlin/Weinstein
  • Larry "assaulting" the assistant by using her dress to clean his glasses
  • Getting back together w/ Cheryl and the talcum powder stuff
  • The MAGA hat
  • All of the Leon stuff
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Man I thought the episode was great.

I was lukewarm on the last season, but I laughed my ass off several times last night.

• The selfie stick.
  • The scooters.
  • Garlin/Weinstein
  • Larry "assaulting" the assistant by using her dress to clean his glasses
  • Getting back together w/ Cheryl and the talcum powder stuff
  • The MAGA hat
  • All of the Leon stuff

it was  jamb packed for 30 minutes.. you could also have included:

• The Lewis boycott
  • Mocha Joe (coffee heat, scone inferiority, wobbly table)
  • Stopping short with the server in the pantry
  • the irresponsible pregnant woman
  • the big goodbye
  • dog hair / dog bowl
  • Suzie's hat
  • Like 3

Plenty of funny last night, including the expiration date on “Happy new year,” the obvious Garlin/Weinstein doppelgänger issue, and the bloom off the rose in the Danson/Cheryl romance, as Ted out Larrys Larry with the “don’t kiss me, you’re sick” bit.

My only issue is the one I’ve always had with some bits (including on Seinfeld), trying to shoehorn a funny concept but having no idea how to make it organic. No, Larry wouldn’t just talcum his cock if all sweaty and Cheryl was up for sex, he’d jump in the shower for two minutes. But that’s not funny.

Great start to the new season, if HBO allows it, I don’t see why he can’t just do what he’s been doing, and produce 8-10 episodes every year or two to exorcise the crazy shit that pops in his head.

5 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I'm guessing you cried when "Big Bang Theory" went off the air because true comedy was dead?  

You are right, it was not groundbreaking.  But it will be memorable.  There is something to be said for how long we've been waiting for this season (though not as long as season 9 which was what, like a 6-year hiatus?).  I don't know they can sustain this much laughter but hey, at least Garlin said, "What would it be like if I didn't shave for two days now that I'm really gray?...what could we do with that comedically?" 

Also, I would like oral sex times with Cheryl.  

8 hours ago, PilotsError said:

That was one of the best episodes of the whole fucking series. I can't believe how much they crammed in, and yet it all worked. Long goodbye. MAGA hat. Jeff mistaken for Harvey. The scooters. The selfie-stick. Mocha Joe. Leon's tappin' time. The nose in the coffee. It was greatness.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, MaxHorn said:

That was one of the best episodes of the whole fucking series. I can't believe how much they crammed in, and yet it all worked. Long goodbye. MAGA hat. Jeff mistaken for Harvey. The scooters. The selfie-stick. Mocha Joe. Leon's tappin' time. The nose in the coffee. It was greatness.

Pig in a blanket, the server, the dog eating out of the cereal bowl, banging the ex, talcum powder, talcum powder allergy, the pregnant lady, boycotting mocha joes ......

• Like 1

Larry David is fucking brilliant with his JB Smoove casting.  Every scene they are in together is completely outrageous and 100% gold.  "Old motherfuckers like you aren't out this late, you must be tappin' that ass!"

Latte Larry's.  This is going to get good.

• Like 1

Started binge-watching over Christmas and my daughter pointed out multiple times how similar I am to Larry David, which was kind of uncomfortable, because my wife is a lot like Cheryl.    

I will admit to proudly pointing at the TV when the "I'll call when my flight lands."  "You don't need to do that.  If your plane crashes, we'll hear about it" scene happened because I have been saying that for years.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Yeah, I had the Happy New Year conversation with somebody at work last Friday.  They said it was ok until end of the month and I accepted that day as the last day and returned the Happy New Year.

This has long been a thing with me. I'm with Larry. Anything past the 2nd or 3rd doesn't make any sense. Like saying Happy Thanksgiving! on December 5th. 

Yeah, it probably would have been above average episode had the first one not set the bar so high this season.  Plus, and I'm just gonna say it for the group...the thing on the right side of Jeff's lips was distracting.  Unless that was some massive inside joke on Weinstein who probably picked up perpetual herpes along the way.  

Also Teri Polo is still attractive, but her once-otherwise-sublime breasts (and maybe it was just that frumpy shirt) looked like they were trying to smuggle Kuato out of L.A.  

the painting over the dining table at dinner was fabulous.  no cancer friend pact.  larry's demeanor at the dinner ultimately blowing up over no one calling to check in on him.  bathroom bit was george costanza to the extreme.  the mailman bit was jerry to the extreme.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ah, Teri Polo. Couldn’t place her and it drove me nuts.

“I’m opening a spite store.”

The spite store fucking slayed me. Enjoyed the episode. My first post on this thread was when I'd only seen half the first episode. I thought it finished strongly.

I had no idea that was fucking Teri Polo! Wow!

Yeah I watched the episode a second time with the wife (no pics) and actually enjoyed it much more than when I watched on Sunday night.

Upon review, I think the stupid, over-the-top couch/recording #MeToo scene sort of left me feeling like the whole episode wasn't that good, but really it was just that once scene was really bad... the rest was quite solid.