Victoria (TX, not BC)

MaybeACoordinator

Work is taking me there next week.

I am usually pretty good at finding good leads on cool places to stay and eat and shit, but my Internet recon is coming up empty.

Riverside Park looks cool. Always wanted to see what was up with Fossati's...But I am having trouble finding much else. Barbecue? Mexican? Burgers? 

Grew up in Victoria and go back to visit parents quite frequently.

Riverside Park I never understood was so great until I left and came back. There is an area close to the baseball park called (or I call it) Pebble Beach. Great place for sex and smoking weed if you’re a teenager. Underselling it, but I didn’t realize how good of a park it was until older. There’s a bar/grill called PumpHouse that’s a good stop.

Fossatti’s is legit, go.

Mumphords BBQ is my go to. Uncle Mutts is a great name, but for the life of me I never understood the appeal although I can count on one hand how many times I went. A guy I knew from high school started has a bbq trailer in the Hobby Lobby Parking lot called Cattleman’s catering, looks pretty good every time I see it pop up in the feed, but haven’t been. There’s a place near the outskirts of town called KB’s that people like to go to when there’s someone playing music that night.

Dairy Treet is a great place to get a burger, but that’s my nostalgia.

the biggest breakfast taco/burrito you will get in your life is at M&M Pinto Bean. TNT tacos is another good breakfast taco spot if you want multiple.

Ventura’s Tamales is great Mexican food. La Hacienda is a personal go to as well.

Double J Eatery and Ramsey’s are both real good too. Ramsey’s is the old school diner.

For seafood I like Baytown, huge fried catfish and great popcorn shrimp.

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

1. don't waste you time with bbq in victoria. if anyone here remembers A&B BBQ, that was the last time Victoria had great bbq. (I'll go to my grave claiming (that at the time) A&B BBQ was top 5 in the state. old man and woman ran the place, mumford's uncle. they were older than dirt but damn the old man knew how to bbq and his wife would go pick the dewberries for her cobbler. i was a vip here). 

2. Mexican - Ventura's (don't order fajitas). people will laugh, but their taco salad is fantastic. great enchiladas. avoid on $1 crispy taco night, it's crazy packed / busy. the monday quesadilla speical is good. Veracruz (cheaper and very damn good. get #14 steak bistec mexicana. best tortillas in town. queso flamado is a must). Don Jose for very good mexican breakfast plates, good breakfast tacos too (i was a vip there because I had two iphones and always tipped big = $5). 

3. Dairy Treet - get a burger / fries / onion rings / shake. make sure it's a jumbo and a double. this is a very good burger place. get a fountain soda too, they have it down there. 

4.  Fossati's - 100% go for lunch. chicken or tuna salad melt is damn good, same for the ruben. just a good place and very nice people. 

5. Moo-Moo's - great fried gizzards (get the small) and solid fried chicken

6. Seafood - skip anything in Victoria

7. Pumphouse - meh to avg at best. bar is too small and food is meh but it's the 'nice' place in Victoria

8. Riverside Park - i grew up at this golf course (I was a ViP,  more like royalty). Very nice walking / running trail in the park. Great spot to pick up Fosatti's or Moo-Moo's and grab a picnic table. 

9. Dragon Palace - I grew up with this as my Chinese food spot, get it to go. Kung Pao chicken is still delish (IMO), get two extra egg rolls. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

5. Moo-Moo's - great fried gizzards (get the small) and solid fried chicken

My grandparents used to own Moo Moo's, but sold it about 5 years ago when they retired. I used to work there a couple of weeks during the summer when I'd go stay with my them.

Agreed on the gizzards. They have always been my go to when eating there.

• Hook 'Em 1

I didn’t realize there was such a Victoria contingent on Surly. 

I was born in Victoria and grew up in Edna and went to school in Victoria for my 3rd thru 6th grade years at Nazareth. We moved to Austin in 83. I still have a lot of family there.

I haven’t been in several years, but after this thread, I will need to check a lot of these out.

Thx.

I still have family in the area. I go down frequently to fish and play golf. passing through town on Weds night, I swung by Dragon Palace and ordered some take out. Next time, I'll hit Dairy Treet. 

10. Seadrift Taqueria - if you're passing by on 35 and hungry, take the 10 min detour into Seadrift and hit the Taqueria. Very good food. They're about to about a spot in Victoria, potentially at the old Chelsea's location in the mall 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Southland said:

My grandparents used to own Moo Moo's, but sold it about 5 years ago when they retired. I used to work there a couple of weeks during the summer when I'd go stay with my them.

Agreed on the gizzards. They have always been my go to when eating there.

I wish it was closer to 59.  I used to stop at Texas Drive Inn on every trip to south Texas for gizzards.  Now, I hit the Chicken Express in El Campo or Barreras in Robstown.  Wait, this isn't a gizzard thread.......

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I wish it was closer to 59.  I used to stop at Texas Drive Inn on every trip to south Texas for gizzards.  Now, I hit the Chicken Express in El Campo or Barreras in Robstown.  Wait, this isn't a gizzard thread.......

Texas Drive Inn closed, Moo Moo’s is five mins away and very good 

6 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Was it the Texas Drive Inn, or Texas burger?  But yeah, I remember back in the day when I used to fish the coast 15 times a year, picking up an order of gizzards was the standard.

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Texas Drive Inn closed, Moo Moo’s is five mins away and very good 

I hit Moo Moos once after Texas Drive Inn closed and it seemed too far off the highway for my liking. Took forever to get my order as well. I don’t want to spend 30 minutes getting something to eat when I still have 2+ hours to Fal.  I’ll give them another shot on my next trip south. 

43 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

I hit Moo Moos once after Texas Drive Inn closed and it seemed too far off the highway for my liking. Took forever to get my order as well. I don’t want to spend 30 minutes getting something to eat when I still have 2+ hours to Fal.  I’ll give them another shot on my next trip south. 

good point. call it in

9 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I have an asshole, racist cousin that had to leave Houston because of all the non-white people.   He moved to Victoria.  That's all I got. 

Victoria has to be the whitest large town in south TX and it’s still at least 50% hispanic. I think your cousin went to the wrong part of the country. 

Never spent much time in Victoria, usually just however long it took to pass through on our way to visit family in Houston. My cousin played baseball for UH-Victoria, we went to see him play a few times. Riverside park was a cool place to watch a game. 

23 hours ago, Orange&White said:

I didn’t realize there was such a Victoria contingent on Surly. 

I was born in Victoria and grew up in Edna and went to school in Victoria for my 3rd thru 6th grade years at Nazareth. We moved to Austin in 83. I still have a lot of family there.

I haven’t been in several years, but after this thread, I will need to check a lot of these out.

Thx.

I was born in Victoria too, but we moved to New Braunfels when I was 1 or 2, so only really know Victoria from going back to visit relatives or staying with grandparents during summer vacation. I have a few relatives that still live in Victoria, so I'm usually there once a year at Christmas.

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I have an asshole, racist cousin that had to leave Houston because of all the non-white people.   He moved to Victoria.  That's all I got. 

I’ve always considered Refugio to be the Mason-Dixon Line of South Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Lat22 said:

I’ve always considered Refugio to be the Mason-Dixon Line of South Texas. 

fuck that speed trap town. very very corrupt local law enforcement

the day there's a by pass around that shit hole, will be a great day for the non white drivers of 69.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2021 at 11:33 PM, tx 3 putt said:

fuck that speed trap town. very very corrupt local law enforcement

the day there's a by pass around that shit hole, will be a great day for the non white drivers of 69.  

I’ve seen the cosignage, but you are the first person I’ve run into to call that stretch of highway “69.” 

17 hours ago, jeevsie said:

Any of these places easy on/off from 59?  There's pretty much nothing to eat driving through Victoria - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Baytown seafood isn’t bad for some fried seafood and Frances Marie’s has good Mexican and both are not far off 59.

Driscoll PD used to slaughter the Mexican caravans of used cars heading south.  No caravan made it through without getting pulled over. So much so that they'd go a hundred miles out of their way to avoid Driscoll.  

Sorry, I know this was a thread about Victoria.  They always seem to devolve into South Texas threads.

Edited by Lat22
  • Hook 'Em 1

I'd just like to salute the beauty of this rec:

Riverside Park I never understood was so great until I left and came back. There is an area close to the baseball park called (or I call it) Pebble Beach. Great place for sex and smoking weed if you’re a teenager. Underselling it, but I didn’t realize how good of a park it was until older. There’s a bar/grill called PumpHouse that’s a good stop.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 5:06 PM, MaybeACoordinator said:

Work is taking me there next week.

I am usually pretty good at finding good leads on cool places to stay and eat and shit, but my Internet recon is coming up empty.

Riverside Park looks cool. Always wanted to see what was up with Fossati's...But I am having trouble finding much else. Barbecue? Mexican? Burgers? 

Well, where did ya' go? How was it?