2021 NFL Offseason Thread -- Trades/Cuts/Free Agent Signings/Firings, Etc.

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I was happy the Skins gave him an opportunity to prove that he wasn’t done.

It’ll be interesting to see if he convinced anyone other than himself ...

I know he has the desire to play and will probably make a team but I think he is also an amazing mentor for QBs. IMO he will make a great QB coach. It likely wouldn’t be a preference for him but I would like to see him go to a team like the Chargers and he can backup/mentor Herbert or go to a similar situation. I feel bad saying this but every time he would drop back to pass last year I would hold my breath hoping he wouldn’t get hit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I think, with the comeback, Smith proved that he was a badass. I'd retire and go enjoy the rest of my life. 

Yep ... like @Nicole44 said, hold your breath on every pass play.  HUGE heart, but he was reduced to swing passes and 5-yard crossing patterns.  From my perch, he wasn’t willing to wait for deeper routes to develop ...

... and before the OL and WR get blamed, see what Heineke, a mobile QB, did in the playoff game against TB.

Go coach or be a full time Dad ...

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I thought JJ wanted to play for a Super Bowl contender. Arizona is way down the list. 

Hard to turn down $15.5mil/yr with $23mil guaranteed. No contender is paying him that. The cards are dumb. But good for him. Phoenix and the surrounding area is a pretty cool spot, all things considered. 

Dolphins saving money...

Van Noy joined the Dolphins in March 2020 on a four-year, $51 million contract, but the move to release him will save $9.8 million against the salary cap — $12.5 million if the Dolphins make it a post-June 1 cut.  

The contract always made Van Noy susceptible to being released after one year, and the question always was going to be whether the team felt he provided enough to justify continuing to carry his big cap number.

Van Noy's departure may have been prompted by the rapid development of 2019 fifth-round pick Andrew Van Ginkel, who made play after play in much more limited action — along with the salary-cap implications.

Van Ginkel had 5.5 sacks last season in 479 snaps, compare to Van Noy's six in 811 snaps. Pro Football Focus gave Van Noy an overall grade of 61.6, compared to 79.3 for Van Ginkel.

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Dolphins saving money...

Van Noy joined the Dolphins in March 2020 on a four-year, $51 million contract, but the move to release him will save $9.8 million against the salary cap — $12.5 million if the Dolphins make it a post-June 1 cut.  

The contract always made Van Noy susceptible to being released after one year, and the question always was going to be whether the team felt he provided enough to justify continuing to carry his big cap number.

Van Noy's departure may have been prompted by the rapid development of 2019 fifth-round pick Andrew Van Ginkel, who made play after play in much more limited action — along with the salary-cap implications.

Van Ginkel had 5.5 sacks last season in 479 snaps, compare to Van Noy's six in 811 snaps. Pro Football Focus gave Van Noy an overall grade of 61.6, compared to 79.3 for Van Ginkel.

That was a terrible contract the second it was signed. It’s not surprising at all they’re cutting him. 

4 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

If DW and Dak are going to be in the $40m club then what is Jackson(NFL MVP) going to be worth? $45m-$50m. Not sure if he is worth that but they kinda have to pay it, regardless.

Mane....I wouldn't pay them, I'd franchise tag'em until they start winning playoff games. These are vets. 

Good thing I don't run a team.

6 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

If DW and Dak are going to be in the $40m club then what is Jackson(NFL MVP) going to be worth? $45m-$50m. Not sure if he is worth that but they kinda have to pay it, regardless.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Or Josh Allen?

They should just marry a rich Super Model...

gisele-bundchen-6.jpg

13 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Mane....I wouldn't pay them, I'd franchise tag'em until they start winning playoff games. These are vets. 

Franchise is probably the smart play. But then you run the risk of alienating them. Like Kirk and Washington. 

On 3/3/2021 at 10:42 PM, SA-KC_Horn said:

A franchise-tagged QB has never even played in a playoff game, let alone won one...

2 hours ago, Ignatius said:

A franchise-tagged QB has never even played in a playoff game, let alone won one...

Cousins had a decent 2016 year under "the tag" and played in the Pro Bowl.  

Wiki:  "Despite missing the playoffs, Cousins lead the team to a winning record of 8–7–1, and finished the season with a career-high 4,917 passing yards, which was third in the NFL behind Drew Brees and Matt Ryan, breaking various personal and team records he had set the previous year. Cousins' 67% completion percentage ranked No. 7 and his 45.7% deep ball completion percentage ranked No. 5 among NFL quarterbacks in 2016."

46 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Cousins had a decent 2016 year under "the tag" and played in the Pro Bowl.  

Wiki:  "Despite missing the playoffs, Cousins lead the team to a winning record of 8–7–1, and finished the season with a career-high 4,917 passing yards, which was third in the NFL behind Drew Brees and Matt Ryan, breaking various personal and team records he had set the previous year. Cousins' 67% completion percentage ranked No. 7 and his 45.7% deep ball completion percentage ranked No. 5 among NFL quarterbacks in 2016."

“Despite missing the playoffs” - Robert Kraft Jr above was talking about how he’d just franchise tag his QBs until they won playoff games.

23 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Lol wow - a 7th round, one year swap in exchange for a dude who was a 1st rounder 10 months ago...

Yeah, crazy deal, but does save Tennessee money... 😋

"Considering the circumstances, this trade is a home run for the Titans even though they basically got nothing in return, as their relationship with Wilson looked to be too far gone at this point.  Tennessee will now be able to wipe the money owed to Wilson off the books instead of having to eat it, which would have been the alternative had they cut him, something that seemed inevitable. And, considering Tennessee is strapped for cash this offseason, the ability to deal Wilson became even more important.

With the added pick, the Titans now have eight locked in, with a ninth pick projected to come via a compensatory selection."