2021 NFL Offseason Thread -- Trades/Cuts/Free Agent Signings/Firings, Etc.

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Probably going to retire.

Yep.  I heard its just a precursor to retirement.  He had a hell of a career for a 7th round QB when he was drafted.  I was at the Super Bowl in Houston against Atlanta where he made one of the greatest catches I have ever seen.  Hope he has a good life after football raising his kids and didn't take one too many to the head during his career.

5 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

He had a hell of a career for a 7th round QB when he was drafted.  

The Patriots tapped into his old quarterback skills with success, with Edelman completing 7 of 8 passes over his career for 179 yards, with two touchdowns and a perfect 158.3 passer rating (includes playoffs).

Seems like that bum Brady stole most of his snaps. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The Patriots tapped into his old quarterback skills with success, with Edelman completing 7 of 8 passes over his career for 179 yards, with two touchdowns and a perfect 158.3 passer rating (includes playoffs).

Seems like that bum Brady stole most of his snaps. 

Perfect passer rating and never threw an INT sounds like a HOF QB to me.  He will be in the Patriots HOF deal but just short of being a Pro Football HOFer.  I am biased but he is everything that is right about the game in that he is a true underdog of a player..  Tough as nails, not big or fast but shifty and quick and just fought for everything he got in the NFL.  Oh and the PED’s helped a little also probably. 

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Perfect passer rating and never threw an INT sounds like a HOF QB to me.  He will be in the Patriots HOF deal but just short of being a Pro Football HOFer.  I am biased but he is everything that is right about the game in that he is a true underdog of a player..  Tough as nails, not big or fast but shifty and quick and just fought for everything he got in the NFL.  Oh and the PED’s helped a little also probably. 

I’m sure you’re a big fan and he certainly played an important role on multiple title teams, but 620-6822-36 should never make the Hall of Fame. He was a good player who had some really big games, but he was nowhere near HOF good. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

I’m sure you’re a big fan and he certainly played an important role on multiple title teams, but 620-6822-36 should never make the Hall of Fame. He was a good player who had some really big games, but he was nowhere near HOF good. 

Totally agree based on his regular season numbers.  That being said, I would take him in a playoff game or Super Bowl over a lot of WR’s currently in the HOF.  He really tended to come up big when it mattered and had a never give up attitude.

2 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

The one prayer he has for the NFL HOF is that he showed up in the playoffs. 2nd all time in playoff receptions behind Rice, with three rings and a superbowl MVP mixed in. Probably not enough, but maybe he gets in just on being an important cog in the Patriots dynasty, a la Lynn Swann (346/5462/51) with the Steelers. 

MOST PLAYOFF RECEPTIONS OF ALL TIME (29 games)
1. Jerry Rice, 151
2. Julian Edelman, 118

MOST PLAYOFF RECEIVING YARDS OF ALL TIME (19 games)
1. Jerry Rice, 2,245
2. Julian Edelman, 1,442

Also to his credit, I think he was a decent special teams guy.  But I just checked and somehow he was never even voted to the pro bowl. Wouldn't have guessed that. If he gets in, it will be because of a HOF Pats  lovefest, but its not likely gonna happen. 

On 4/12/2021 at 11:21 PM, Blotto said:

The one prayer he has for the NFL HOF is that he showed up in the playoffs. 2nd all time in playoff receptions behind Rice, with three rings and a superbowl MVP mixed in. Probably not enough, but maybe he gets in just on being an important cog in the Patriots dynasty, a la Lynn Swann (346/5462/51) with the Steelers. 

MOST PLAYOFF RECEPTIONS OF ALL TIME (29 games)
1. Jerry Rice, 151
2. Julian Edelman, 118

MOST PLAYOFF RECEIVING YARDS OF ALL TIME (19 games)
1. Jerry Rice, 2,245
2. Julian Edelman, 1,442

Also to his credit, I think he was a decent special teams guy.  But I just checked and somehow he was never even voted to the pro bowl. Wouldn't have guessed that. If he gets in, it will be because of a HOF Pats  lovefest, but its not likely gonna happen. 

What are his all-time number on a per-game basis, adjusted for how many more passes are thrown per game now vs historically?

52 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

What are his all-time number on a per-game basis, adjusted for how many more passes are thrown per game now vs historically?

You'd have to care a whole hell of a lot more about his prospects than I do  to go researching all of that. I dont give a shit either way.

I admit DK Metcalf tackling Buddha Baker last year was one of the coolest highlights of the season. Having said that, while I wish him luck in the Olympic track trials today—he’ll get blown off the damn track.

Metcalf is set to race in the 100m in this weekend’s USATF Golden Games and Distance Open at Mt. SAC in Walnut, California. NBC, NBCSports.com/live and the NBC Sports app air live coverage on Sunday from 4:30-6 p.m. ET. Peacock streams live coverage from 3:15-6 p.m. ET and USATF.tv coverage airs from 2-4:30 p.m. ET and 10 p.m. ET

—————

Metcalf, the Seattle Seahawks wide receiver, drew the second of two 100m heats at 3:40 p.m. ET at Mt. SAC in Walnut, California. Peacock airs early coverage of the heats from 3:15-3:55 p.m. ET.

The nine fastest men out of 18 from the two heats advance to the final at 5:03 p.m. during the NBC, NBCSports.com/live and NBC Sports app broadcast from 4:30-6 p.m. USATF.tv also airs coverage from 2-4:30 and distance events that start at 10 p.m.

Metcalf, a hurdler and triple jumper in high school who didn’t compete in track in college, could be trying to qualify for June’s U.S. Olympic Trials. He hasn’t commented publicly on any potential ambition.

LIVE STREAM: DK Metcalf in 100m — 3:15 p.m. ET | NBC broadcast from 4:30-6 p.m. ET

To make Trials, Metcalf likely needs to break 10.2 seconds. A 10.05 would automatically qualify for Trials.

The more realistic ask is if Metcalf can qualify for the final on Sunday. Two weeks ago at the USATF Grand Prix, it took 10.44 to advance out of the heats from a field of similar strength.

Edited by Nicole44

he looks like a giant as they run down the track.

Big man.  Fast too.  I don't care for the Seahawks, but it's easy to pull for him.  He has one of the best  "never give up" plays in all of NFL history.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I appreciate that he’s really fast, but we’ve had several football players do better than that over the last few decades.

This is my take. I’m not really sure what the point is. People seem to think it’s as simple as run fast. It’s not