2021 NFL Offseason Thread -- Trades/Cuts/Free Agent Signings/Firings, Etc.

Patrick Bateman

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Noticed we didn't have a meta-thread for all of this.  This is interesting..... really interesting.

This seems like bullshit because of the source, but...... if you like speculation.

Is Wentz, not Watson, the next big QB domino to fall?  Also interesting is Derek Carr getting a lot of noise right now.

Dan Patrick said this morning that a lot of this Wentz interest being reported was bullshit according to his sources...

Said Eagles are trying to drum up interest...

• Like 1

Yea, Patrick is sort of going it alone on that one.  Multiple other sources say the traction and interest is real and there is a strong possibility Wentz gets moved.  Obviously, I have no idea, but I saw a few folks say that Patrick is basically wrong and frankly, Patrick's not an insider, so his sources may not be as plugged in.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yea, Patrick is sort of going it alone on that one.  Multiple other sources say the traction and interest is real and there is a strong possibility Wentz gets moved.  Obviously, I have no idea, but I saw a few folks say that Patrick is basically wrong and frankly, Patrick's not an insider, so his sources may not be as plugged in.  We'll see.

Curious how the money part works on a trade for Wentz and his terrible contract??

Rams had Goff contract to trade out for Stafford contract...

Edit:  "Wentz has four years and $98.4 million left on his contract — and $47.4 million worth of guarantees over the next two years. After 2022, he can be cut at no cost."

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

YUCK -- Just don't understand why the Bears would be willing to give up a 1st Rd draft pick (probably the #20 pick) for Wentz ??  

Foles + another player being included are probably just the way to make the salary cap part of the deal work.

• Bears should be creative and try to trade their #20 pick for Browns #26 (1st Rd) and #90 (3rd Rd).
  • Then use #26 pick + #90 pick in exchange for Eagles sending back their 3rd Rd pick #70.

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

YUCK -- Just don't understand why the Bears would be willing to give up a 1st Rd draft pick (probably the #20 pick) for Wentz ??  

Foles + another player being included are probably just the way to make the salary cap part of the deal work.

• Bears should be creative and try to trade their #20 pick for Browns #26 (1st Rd) and #90 (3rd Rd).
  • Then use #26 pick + #90 pick in exchange for Eagles sending back their 3rd Rd pick #70.

Ryan pace is desperately trying to erase that Mitch over mahomes and Watson mistake. I think wentz can be resurrected. I really do. I would say Philly is giving up on him too quickly but he’s broken in that town. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Ryan pace is desperately trying to erase that Mitch over mahomes and Watson mistake. I think wentz can be resurrected. I really do. I would say Philly is giving up on him too quickly but he’s broken in that town. 

So don't give up a 1st Rd pick (#20) for a broken down Wentz...

43 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

He's very broken.  He probably can be rebuilt, but is Nagy the guy to do it???  There certainly is big upside.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So don't give up a 1st Rd pick (#20) for a broken down Wentz...

It’s a desperation move. Both Nagy and Pace are probably out next year if they don’t turn things around. If they can get 2019 Wentz, it’s worth a 1st rd pick IMO. But like Bateman said, is Nagy really the guy that’s going to fix him. Also, big dick nick going back to Philly is just fitting.

I’ll be that guy...is Calvin Johnson really a hall of famer? He quit on his team, and his numbers rank amongst those id have a hard time seeing give a hall of fame speech.

He’s tied with Brandon Marshall for TD receptions and had one year where he caught triple digit passes one time. He caught 122 catches but 5 tds. He was a moss specimen, and who after cris carter really didn’t have a teammate that was a threat like CJ. Are they just gonna hand out heads for guys who had really good careers?

15 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ll be that guy...is Calvin Johnson really a hall of famer? He quit on his team, and his numbers rank amongst those id have a hard time seeing give a hall of fame speech.

He’s tied with Brandon Marshall for TD receptions and had one year where he caught triple digit passes one time. He caught 122 catches but 5 tds. He was a moss specimen, and who after cris carter really didn’t have a teammate that was a threat like CJ. Are they just gonna hand out heads for guys who had really good careers?

Ask every DB from his era to name the best wide receiver from that era, and I guarantee you about half of them say megatron. Bad take MN. We’ve all had bad takes before, but this is one of your bad takes.

19 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'd rather reach deep into my draft and get some kid from directional tech than to go with either of those two. 

Darnold is still has a year left on his rookie deal. I’d be willing to take a flier on him just to see if getting released from the shackles of Adam Gase can unlock him the same way it’s unlocked so many other guys. 

4 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I'd rather reach deep into my draft and get some kid from directional tech than to go with either of those two. 

That is the prudent plan if the coach and GM were not on the hot-seat.  The conventional wisdom for Chicago is, "We are a QB away and need to get one so we do not squander the opportunities that the rest of the roster gives us."  They have a stout - but aging - defense.  This motivates overpaying for a known quantity vs. building for the future.  

The top QBs in this class are Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones, and Lance, as they all received first round grades.  It's possible one of them gets to 20 (maybe Jones or Lance).

The NFL is a QB league.  All winning teams have good QBs.  Few losing teams have "good QBs."  (and, yes, I recognize that a strong OL/RB roster can help).  That Chicago made the playoffs (8-8, yes) with Trubisky and Foles indicates they have a good roster. 

And if you are going to trade for a QB, you try trade for a winner - or one who has definitely shown flashes of brilliance.  Wentz won in Philly but dropped of precipitously this year.  The OL stunk and Philly lacked playmakers.  Could he be salvaged in Chicago?  Absolutely.  2020 was by far his worst season as a pro.  INT rate was 2x average; sack rate was 2x his average.  If that was anomalous, he's worth trying again.  But I am not sure he's worth the king's ransom needed to get him.  I consider taking on his contract as part of that ransom.  If he does not pan out, you've taken on a 3-4 year contractual millstone.

On paper, making a run for Darnold makes sense, esp. if you can get him for #20 and a 4th.  Why not try?  You might just be getting another Trubisky.  Yes, Gase was a shitty coach and Darnold shows flashes of being a top-16 QB.  He shows more flashes of being a bottom-quarter QB.  This is a good summary:
https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/02/06/sam-darnold-concerning-weaknesses-featured-in-2020-film/

All that to say: The Bears are kinda screwed.  They do not have a clear way out of being a 7 to 9 win team in the next 2 years.  That is compounded by the fact that the GM/HC are on the hotseat.

BTW - the Colts are in a similar bind.  Rivers retired.  They have Brissett and Jacob Eason on their roster, but neither of those will get you out of Round 1 of the playoffs.  But Rivers did not either :)

Ask every DB from his era to name the best wide receiver from that era, and I guarantee you about half of them say megatron. Bad take MN. We’ve all had bad takes before, but this is one of your bad takes.

Haha. Just a talking note. In my post I had him as a specimen with Moss.. but didn’t even come close to Mosses total output. But I agree he had the makings to be a top 5 WR or all time but barely cracks the top 20 in TDS and 47th in receptions.
  • Like 2

Tom Flores is finally in the HOF. How the hell is that possible? Dude won 2 superbowls as a HC with the Raiders.

He and Mike Ditka are the only two people in National Football League history to win a Super Bowl as a player, assistant coach, and head coach

Flores was the NFL's first minority head coach to win a Super Bowl,

I guess that Coors commercial really paid off.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/7/2021 at 9:19 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

Yeah, he played for the Lions who are one of the worst organizations in all of sports. He didn't quit on his team he was sick of playing hurt and being on shitty teams so he retired. He could have forced a trade or held out for more money but he valued his health over a couple more million dollars. 

Glad to see him get in the first year he was eligible. Sucks that the Lions have had two first ballot HOF'ers choose to retire than continuing to suck. I am biased but it doesn't get much better than Barry and Mega. 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Haha. Just a talking note. In my post I had him as a specimen with Moss.. but didn’t even come close to Mosses total output. But I agree he had the makings to be a top 5 WR or all time but barely cracks the top 20 in TDS and 47th in receptions.

If Mega would have had Brady throwing to him he would have had Moss numbers. 

On FS1 there was a report saying Wentz trade will happen this week. 

This is a really good article on Wentz “downfall”/ Pederson etc...

“[Wentz is] a glorified system quarterback who needs the right coaching, the willingness to accept coaching, take proper preparation and have a lot of pieces around him,” one NFL source said. “He’s not going to create, like an Aaron Rodgers or a Patrick Mahomes. 

“That’s where the Eagles got fooled after 2017. That version of Wentz is gone. They still haven’t accepted it.” 
https://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-eagles-locker-room-trade-rumors-doug-pederson-jeffrey-lurie-nick-sirianni/