2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

I know.  Just found it curious that for the last 5 days, a grand total of Zero major sports media outlets reported that Colorado was a possibility for the game relocation. . 

I saw the same half dozen stadiums/cities/franchises mentioned over and over and over again.  And Denver was never on those lists (CA got some mentions, but with Dodgers getting next year's anyway, Nats just hosted 2 years ago, Padres just 4 years ago, Oakland's stadium is a shithole, Giants or Angels would have made sense though.  As would D-Backs and possibly Mariners).  Several other stadiums have gone a lot longer without hosting, or never hosted at all.  The decision was surprising, that's all.  Obviously it wasn't driven by drug laws, but probably by a desire to have it a less controversial state that isn't so hate-filled.  I think most fans would agree.  Plus when I think of MLB's efforts to get the game more action-oriented again instead of a home-run/strikeout festival...I wouldn't pick Coors field to showcase that new look.  

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I know.  Just found it curious that for the last 5 days, a grand total of Zero major sports media outlets reported that Colorado was a possibility for the game relocation. . 

I saw the same half dozen stadiums/cities/franchises mentioned over and over and over again.  And Denver was never on those lists (CA got some mentions, but with Dodgers getting next year's anyway, Nats just hosted 2 years ago, Padres just 4 years ago, Oakland's stadium is a shithole, Giants or Angels would have made sense though.  As would D-Backs and possibly Mariners).  Several other stadiums have gone a lot longer without hosting, or never hosted at all.  The decision was surprising, that's all.  Obviously it wasn't driven by drug laws, but probably by a desire to have it a less controversial state that isn't so hate-filled.  I think most fans would agree.  Plus when I think of MLB's efforts to get the game more action-oriented again instead of a home-run/strikeout festival...I wouldn't pick Coors field to showcase that new look.  

well you are incorrect because over the weekend I heard Coors Field being talked about by someone on MLB Network.  It was Coors, Wrigley, and whatever Miller Park is now

Edited by Scraps

The Boston Red Sox, known for their traditional white uniforms with red lettering and the iconic "B," are unveiling their first jersey without any red at all.

As part of Major League Baseball's first major jersey collaboration with Nike -- which became the sport's uniform supplier in 2019 -- the Red Sox unveiled the yellow-and-powder-blue uniforms Tuesday.

Inspired by the Patriots' Day holiday and the Boston Marathon, the jerseys feature a marathon bib patch with 617, Fenway Park's area code, on the left sleeve.

The radical design for MLB is part of Nike's first venture into designing alternates for baseball, known as the City Connect series, meant to push the boundaries of uniform design.

The Red Sox will wear their new uniforms for the first time on April 17 and 18 against the Chicago White Sox. Courtesy of MLB

"It was front and center and this is why we did this deal. You take two iconic brands and you put them together and you have one and one make three," MLB chief revenue officer Noah Garden said. "This is what we expected, and this is what we wanted. This is the plan we always set out for."

The City Connect series will start with seven teams with scattered unveil dates: the Red Sox, Miami Marlins (May 21), Chicago White Sox (June 5), Chicago Cubs (June 12), Arizona Diamondbacks (June 18), San Francisco Giants (July 9) and Los Angeles Dodgers (late August).

Every MLB team is expected to have a City Connect series jersey by the end of the 2023 season, with teams working individually with Nike to create a uniform that's connected to the personality and community of each city.

r836552_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=570&format=j

I normally hate the jersey proliferation, but those are the tits.

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

well you are incorrect because over the weekend I heard Coors Field being talked about by someone on MLB Network.  It was Coors, Wrigley, and whatever Miller Park is now

I'm sure they did.  I was referring to print/online media that I was reading.  I should have been more specific.  I do not have, nor watch the MLB Network.  Sounds like they were on top of it.  I did read Wrigley and possibly Milwaukee on several sites.  

So do these guys all have it or is this just contact tracing based quarantining?  Based on the Marlins precedent I guess we can expect the Nats to make the playoffs now.

Edited by WBT

Holy shit, Odor is a great 2b, but a strikeout machine.  Did Steve Patterson negotiate that fucking back-end of the deal for the Rangers?  

23 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Akil Baddoo just hit a grand slam, a day after hitting a bomb in his MLB debut. never played above A Ball and didn't play at all last year, obviously. i tried to do some research on him and dude doesn't even have a wikipedia page. i have friends with wiki pages! good story for him and his family.

Just walked it off in the 10th.  It's starting to feel like he's living a 90s Disney sports movie.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one that thinks people make too big of a deal about batters facing righties vs lefties?  I never found it to be all that different.  Maybe in the bigs it's different.  Come at me bro.

So, you're not Joc Pederson...

image.png.0968bf550a06372dc2fdc68ea66d9f4d.png

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Am I the only one that thinks people make too big of a deal about batters facing righties vs lefties?  I never found it to be all that different.  Maybe in the bigs it's different.  Come at me bro.

probably

11 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

You’re telling me.   I am a little surprised  nobody took a flier on last year’s ROTY however.

well Lewis is technically owned in our league, he just hasn't started playing yet and thus wasn't in the lineup. good luck to him once he returns though. he could probably hit .350 and only drive in 70 runs. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

Kershaw became the all-time leader is strikeouts by a Dodger last night.  Pretty cool considering that franchise's history.

Are the A's ever going to win a game or nah?

baseball-reference still shows Sutton as the franchise career leader in K's.  

Also, are we all supposed to be boycotting MLB based on that interview on Monday? ?  

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

baseball-reference still shows Sutton as the franchise career leader in K's.  

Yeah, you're right.  I saw it on QP and just rewound it and they were including postseason Ks, which is stupid.  He's still over 100 behind Sutton in the regular season.

Only reason I know is when they put together this insanely good rotation in the off-season, I saw some article about how it could be the greatest rotation in Dodger history.  Not my team at all, but it's a storied history so poked around a bit and remembered that it was Sutton, not Koufax or Drysdale, who really held most of the Dodger records.  

Kinda bullshit to include post-season K's, when Sutton started out with the Dodgers, it was 162 games for the one shot at a 7-game World Series where you'd get 2 starts.  Kershaw has played entirely under a playoff bracket that can include as many 21 games, or 5 starts.  But nature of the eras, I get it. 

46 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Eric Gregg reincarnated ... minus 200 pounds and a better tan.

Hernandez is an arrogant POS who dares MLB to do anything about his incompetence.  But, he knows he holds the right cards .. and that Manfred has no backbone.

He lost is lawsuit so someone had to pay.