2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

That project is pie in the sky. Getting the city to pony up the $855mm in infrastructure is only one of the issues. Environment, job loss from tearing down port facilities and financing for the project itself is a lot of obstacles to overcome. 

Rays missed on this one. 

The Rays announced Tuesday that they’ve designated struggling first baseman/outfielder Yoshi Tsutsugo for assignment. He’s in the second season of a two-year, $12MM contract that represented a relatively sizable investment for the cost-conscious Rays. They’ll now have a week to trade him, pass him through waivers or release him.

Vegas would quickly end up more unstable than Tampa.  Small market with near zero hinterlands to draw from, already saturated with the NFL, NHL, and other entertainment options.  Would really need a roof for most of the season, so a top-dollar stadium unless they could share with the Raiders.  Relying on visitors might work for an 8 or 9 home game NFL season, not so much for 81.

Besides, Austin A's is the perfect fit linguistically.  

But Charlotte would be the smartest and largest market for relocation.  Stupid name, though.  Since it's the Queen City, move the A's back to KC and the Royals to Charlotte....

Edited by clapclapclap

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Vegas would quickly end up more unstable than Tampa.  Small market with near zero hinterlands to draw from, already saturated with the NFL, NHL, and other entertainment options.  Would really need a roof for most of the season, so a top-dollar stadium unless they could share with the Raiders.  Relying on visitors might work for an 8 or 9 home game NFL season, not so much for 81.

Besides, Austin A's is the perfect fit linguistically.  

But Charlotte would be the smartest and largest market for relocation.  Stupid name, though.  Since it's the Queen City, move the A's back to KC and the Royals to Charlotte....

Isn't Cincinnati the queen city?  Does every state have a queen city?

I think I saw something the other day that calculated the % of state revenues lost due to the pandemic.  Nevada was the worst, which would seem to make it difficult get the ball rolling on financing a new stadium right now, which would be a priority in this situation.  

"The future success of the A's depends on a new ballpark," A's owner John Fisher said in a statement. "Oakland is a great baseball town, and we will continue to pursue our waterfront ballpark project. We will also follow MLB's direction to explore other markets."

Maybe future success would come from having an actual payroll.

36 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Let's play my shadow_op brother's favorite game, "Who Am I?". First is AL OF, second NL IF. 

.308/.367/.524/.892, 6 HR, 12 RBI, 4 SB, 1.6 bWAR 

.134/.200/.293/.493, 3 HR, 10 RBI, -0.2 bWAR 

Whatever happened to Fat Joe, my friend?

Let's play my shadow_op brother's favorite game, "Who Am I?". First is AL OF, second NL IF. 

.308/.367/.524/.892, 6 HR, 12 RBI, 4 SB, 1.6 bWAR 

.134/.200/.293/.493, 3 HR, 10 RBI, -0.2 bWAR 
I know both cause #1 is on my fantasy team and on #2 I saw how shitty he was doing seconds before he hit a homer when they played the yankees

28 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

But Crane is a cheap owner!

Didn’t read the article, but I smell an astute businessman doing work here, what with

a) eviction moratoriums getting closer to expiring across the company (lots of apartment units about to become available possibly at very cheap rates as landlords will be desperate happy to take any tenants that will actually pay for their place to live? ) and

b) I’m sure good ol Mattress Mac is happy to help with this “opportunity” to be the “official furniture provider of Astros minor league baseball...if the Fayetteville Woodpeckers win the Low-A minor league championship, your mattress is free!”

Edited by UTexasFight

On 5/11/2021 at 4:08 PM, Texas Wahoo said:

Isn't Cincinnati the queen city?  Does every state have a queen city?

Charlotte is also called the Queen City because, and there's a drive into deep left field by patrickdrinksbeer that will be a homerun, it was named after British Queen Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz.  Which also answer why its county is named Mecklenburg.  I dunno if it's called the Queen County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte,_North_Carolina

Edited by clapclapclap
Everybody jumped the queen nickname back then.