2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

Most casual sports fans have probably never heard of trout and definitely wouldn’t recognize him on the street, and his jersey is barely in the top 10 of best sellers this year.

people know who mike trout is. but right now he’s mid 80’s jordan. and pippen/jackson ain’t walkin thru that door. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

as stated, i've been on Bauer's side this entire time, and he once again just crushes the MLB brass with some pretty basic, straightforward, common sense:

"...Wrong time to do it, in the middle of the season, it needs to be done in the offseason...[snip]Can we even consider it a rule?, Especially when MLB was telling players and teams for three or four months already this year 'do not change anything, we're not going to enforce it this year, do what you do and we'll figure it out in the offseason.' "

'"

WHAT A GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING LIAR. 

The teams and players were warned last February before the 2020 season  and this past March. 

Mike Hill, newly hired as executive vice president of baseball operations and disciplinarian, wrote in a memorandum to team officials on Tuesday that “players are subject to discipline ... regardless of whether evidence of the violation has been discovered during or following a game.”

“Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, handling foreign substances, advising a pitcher how to use or otherwise mask the use of foreign substances, interfering with the collection of game-used baseballs and failing to report observed violations of these rules by players or staff.”

https://www.wsls.com/sports/2021/03/24/mlb-steps-up-ball-monitoring-to-suppress-foreign-substances/

Why is Bauer lying about this and why are y'all dinguses eating it up?

• Hook 'Em 1

"...Wrong time to do it, in the middle of the season, it needs to be done in the offseason...[snip]Can we even consider it a rule?, Especially when MLB was telling players and teams for three or four months already this year 'do not change anything, we're not going to enforce it this year, do what you do and we'll figure it out in the offseason.' "
'"
 WHAT A GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING LIAR. 
The teams and players were warned last February before the 2020 season  and this past March. 

Mike Hill, newly hired as executive vice president of baseball operations and disciplinarian, wrote in a memorandum to team officials on Tuesday that “players are subject to discipline ... regardless of whether evidence of the violation has been discovered during or following a game.”

“Examples of prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, handling foreign substances, advising a pitcher how to use or otherwise mask the use of foreign substances, interfering with the collection of game-used baseballs and failing to report observed violations of these rules by players or staff.”

https://www.wsls.com/sports/2021/03/24/mlb-steps-up-ball-monitoring-to-suppress-foreign-substances/

Why is Bauer lying about this and why are y'all dinguses eating it up?

I'm not taking sides on this, but you are acting like it is impossible MLB was saying one thing to the media/fans and another privately to players.

I'm not taking sides on this, but you are acting like it is impossible MLB was saying one thing to the media/fans and another privately to players.
This was public knowledge, reported in February of last year and also in late March 2021. The March meno went to all clubs and players but MLB never said to players that they weren't going to enforce any punishment this year. Bauer and Glasnow are lying through their teeth to fans. That was true for last year, which was characterized as a year to study the issue while also reminding all players of Rule 3.01 and 6.02. That's why the league sent out a very direct and detailed memo for 2021 that warned of possible suspensions for violators.

Players were informed by that spring training memo, they knew what the process would be: a period of statcast data analysis and collecting baseballs through the gameday compliance monitors in their clubhouses and dugouts, followed by enforcement and possible punishment if MLB discovered widespread use of foreign substances.

I am not defending MLB but I would like to see some reporters push back against some of these players and ask them why they're spreading a fictitious talking point to the public that they know isn't true.

Just now, TonyTexas said:

I think the league gave the players the chance to self-police. When they not only didn’t but actually escalated, MLB said enough is enough and put down the hammer. 

Correct. They also made it known that insofar as umpire enforcement, the gentleman's agreement between managers would be in effect (you don't tell on our pitcher and we won't tell on yours) until further notice BUT--and this is the important distinction--it was against the backdrop of the compliance monitoring as the evidentiary basis for disciplinary action against any violators. Bauer is lying to baseball fans. Or, to give him the benefit of the doubt, he's completely ignorant about the memo and should shut the fuck up and stop posing as a credible voice on this issue. 

42 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And you know this how?

From the league memos, literally right there in English. Which is the only thing that matters since 1) that's the official means by which the league communicates with its teams and players and 2) the league collectively bargains disciplinary action with the MLBPA. The idea that the league was privately and unofficially telling the players something different makes zero sense at all. So who exactly from the league office communicates this wink wink nudge nudge and to whom??? Where's the union in this process? And why would any players believe it when it says the exact opposite of the written policy and official rulebook???

I'll tell you what makes a lot more sense: guys like Bauer and Glasnow are distorting facts to make the public believe their interpretation of the league's actions, which does not square with what was communicated in written form. Whether they're doing it intentionally or because they're terribly misinformed (did their teams post the memo in the clubhouse?), I can't say. But it sure seems like they're conflating the league's nod to the old gentleman's agreement between managers and umpires and the gameday compliance process and conveniently interpreted that to mean they have carte blanche to keep doing whatever the hell they want until next year. Simply not true at all.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yankees tie an MLB record by turning their 3rd triple play of the season. 

I kid you not I was standing underneath the stands behind home plate so I can get my usual vantage point for when Chapman is in there and I though “man if they hit it to Urshela on the line they’re gonna get three because he has such a strong arm.” Pretty cool to see it actually happen!

this is a little late in responding, but re: that Bauer video: a)i've always heard it reported the way Bauer tells it, and i posted as much previously in the thread- i've seen it reported multiple times on ESPN that the MLB told everyone to keep on doing what they've been doing so that MLB can do some more fact-finding. to call him out like that curse his name and call him a motherfucking liar doesn't track for me. which brings up b)if bauer was lying, with all of the guys in the league who hate him, someone would have called him out for it by now. you can post all the links you want, but everything i've seen points to Bauer telling the truth. he's been the only one to be open about this shit from the jump. he has all the credibility on this issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

a)i've always heard it reported the way Bauer tells it, and i posted as much previously in the thread- i've seen it reported multiple times on ESPN that the MLB told everyone to keep on doing what they've been doing so that MLB can do some more fact-finding.

That's demonstrably false.

What you heard is the league's position last year wrt enforcement. I don't want to keep beating a dead horse but you're just fucking wrong man and you're just repeating lies from players and <shocker> lazy reporting from the media that conflates mid-season enforcement of the policy it warned all players/teams about with mid-season implementation. The gameday compliance policy was in place since the beginning of the season. Players were warned, they had a chance to knock the shit off, they didn't so MLB went to the next step described in the process--hammer time.

14 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

but everything i've seen points to Bauer telling the truth. he's been the only one to be open about this shit from the jump. he has all the credibility on this issue. 

oh you mean like the video of him smearing sticky shit all over his glove????? that credibility?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this is a little late in responding, but re: that Bauer video: a)i've always heard it reported the way Bauer tells it, and i posted as much previously in the thread- i've seen it reported multiple times on ESPN that the MLB told everyone to keep on doing what they've been doing so that MLB can do some more fact-finding. to call him out like that curse his name and call him a motherfucking liar doesn't track for me. which brings up b)if bauer was lying, with all of the guys in the league who hate him, someone would have called him out for it by now. you can post all the links you want, but everything i've seen points to Bauer telling the truth. he's been the only one to be open about this shit from the jump. he has all the credibility on this issue. 

You’re wasting your keyboard strokes. Gourmand & the Astros fans will never care or listen to what Bauer has to say. They can’t handle anything that might paint him in the slightest positive light. They’ve long shut off all rationality & objectivity on baseball matters. 

In a small sample size it seems to not matter anyway. Strikeouts & spin rates are down, but runs and hits are unchanged. The entire offensive approach has simply been fucked to death by sabermetrics. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You’re wasting your keyboard strokes. Gourmand & the Astros fans will never care or listen to what Bauer has to say.

Eat a bag of dongs Helobious. Prove me wrong. What is wrong about anything I've written?

It's not just Bauer, it's Glasnow as well as any player spreading this bullshit. But obviously Bauer is the most outspoken about it should be noted that this goes back to his long-standing beef with Gerrit Cole at UCLA. That's the only reason he ever gave a shit about sticky substances and spin rates, because he was jealous of Cole and hates him.  Why should anyone trust a hypocritical cheater who  went on the record and said he'd never use that stuff because it was against his "morals" only to use that stuff to win a Cy Young and land a big contract?

He's a fucking fraud. I can agree with some of what he says, but the agreeable is common-sense stuff and he's not the right messenger, especially when it's proven that he is lying about MLB's official policy and nobody in the media calls him out on it. Why is that? Why is he so blatantly lying?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Helobious said:

You’re wasting your keyboard strokes. Gourmand & the Astros fans will never care or listen to what Bauer has to say. They can’t handle anything that might paint him in the slightest positive light. They’ve long shut off all rationality & objectivity on baseball matters. 

In a small sample size it seems to not matter anyway. Strikeouts & spin rates are down, but runs and hits are unchanged. The entire offensive approach has simply been fucked to death by sabermetrics. 

Are you trying to be ironic? I can't tell.

Astros fan here.  I dont hate Bauer but he is a goofy bastard.  And he has absolutely been a hypocrite when it comes to the spin rate deal.  But who cares...baseball always fucks this sort of thing up.  Business as usual.