2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

32 minutes ago, WBT said:

Joltin' Joe has a 56-game hitting streak

That would do it, but that was ‘41.

Williams triple crown was ‘42.

no other explanation for Joe Gordon getting the MVP other than the sportswriters’ hate referenced above (and/or the “mvp” back then was just given to the best player on the best team) 

Idk how else to explain this:

695B55C8-A5CC-4C86-BAE2-868D7E5426EB.png

Edited by UTexasFight
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, my bad.  Ted lost to Dimaggio in '41.  That was Ted's .406 year but he didn't win the triple crown until '42.  Joe Gordon had a nice year but in no way should have been MVP.  But the Yankees won the pennant.

'41 must have been fun to follow.  What are the odds that the last guy to ever hit .400 would not be the guy that had a 56-game hitting streak?

Edited by WBT

In his .400 year, the Red Sox manager wanted to sit Ted Williams the last day of the season because it was a doubleheader and he was just above .400.  Williams said fuck no, played in both games and raised his batting average to .406.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Just heard a really surprising stat on the radio (did not fact check).  The White Sox franchise is 120 years old, and this is the first time in franchise history they have made the post-season 2 years in a row.

Wow

that is crazy 

it must be insufferable to be a Chicago baseball fan

but on second thought, I can see it

you've really only had ~25 years of the division era

edit: and 25 years feels about the right sentence by the baseball gods for wearing these

7CCAFC30-4AD2-42D3-864F-94530F1506A6.jpeg

Edited by UTexasFight

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Giants are so boringly good you’d have to think they win it all, just like the other 3 times. I wouldn’t at all be surprised if the Yanks win the WC and get swept in the ALDS, losing by 5 runs each game or if they win the whole AL pennant. They’re that kind of team. 

Your hitting is going to need to be ridiculous to sniff the pennant. Granted it could be. 

This could get weird:

Mother and child die after fall at Petco Park before Padres game

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2021-09-25/woman-and-child-die-after-fall-at-petco-park-before-padres-game

A woman and her 2-year-old son died late Saturday afternoon after they fell from the third level of Petco Park, just as thousands of baseball fans were heading inside for a Padres game, San Diego police said.

The woman, 40, and the boy were pronounced dead at 4:11 p.m., about 20 minutes after police were alerted to the incident, said homicide Lt. Andra Brown.

The pair fell from the third level concourse — the equivalent of six stories high — to the sidewalk below on Tony Gwynn Drive, Brown said. While efforts were made to resuscitate the woman and child, it quickly became apparent that neither had survived the fall, she said.

Their names were not released; both lived in San Diego. The mother and child had been at a dining/concession area on the concourse level prior to the fall, said police Lt. Adam T. Sharki. The child’s father was at the ballpark when the deaths occurred, police reported.

Police said it is too early to know whether the fall was accidental or intentional but noted that the victims’ deaths “appeared to be suspicious.”

Brown said investigators understand that there may have been a number of people in the concourse area who might have more information, which, she said, could potentially “give the family some peace.”

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

This could get weird:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/story/2021-09-25/woman-and-child-die-after-fall-at-petco-park-before-padres-game

A woman and her 2-year-old son died late Saturday afternoon after they fell from the third level of Petco Park, just as thousands of baseball fans were heading inside for a Padres game, San Diego police said.

The woman, 40, and the boy were pronounced dead at 4:11 p.m., about 20 minutes after police were alerted to the incident, said homicide Lt. Andra Brown.

The pair fell from the third level concourse — the equivalent of six stories high — to the sidewalk below on Tony Gwynn Drive, Brown said. While efforts were made to resuscitate the woman and child, it quickly became apparent that neither had survived the fall, she said.

Their names were not released; both lived in San Diego. The mother and child had been at a dining/concession area on the concourse level prior to the fall, said police Lt. Adam T. Sharki. The child’s father was at the ballpark when the deaths occurred, police reported.

Police said it is too early to know whether the fall was accidental or intentional but noted that the victims’ deaths “appeared to be suspicious.”

Brown said investigators understand that there may have been a number of people in the concourse area who might have more information, which, she said, could potentially “give the family some peace.”

This might be the most traumatized I've been from reading a news story since that grandpa went for a looksee on the deck of that cruise ship and dropped his granddaughter out of the window. What an awful tragedy for the family and a horrific thing for those nearby to witness. 

2 hours ago, miguelito said:

This could get weird:

They had probably seen enough of the Padres this season.

I was actually there like 3 weeks ago(I literally sat at the picnic table to the left of the officers in the photo) and the thought crossed my mind that it would be easy as hell for someone to fall/jump/get thrown  out of the stadium.  

Same can probably be said for many parks....because the next week I was at Busch and thought the same thing as I was looking down at the Musial statue from the upper deck 

Edited by Scraps

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well I’m right if 2 teams were to be the only WC qualifiers and had identical records. 

Lulz. Just take the loss. 

I’m actually surprised that you don’t know the wild card rules as that the route the Yankees have overwhelmingly taken to the playoffs in recent years. 

• Haha 1

On 9/23/2021 at 1:14 PM, WBT said:

Yeah, my bad.  Ted lost to Dimaggio in '41.  That was Ted's .406 year but he didn't win the triple crown until '42.  Joe Gordon had a nice year but in no way should have been MVP.  But the Yankees won the pennant.

'41 must have been fun to follow.  What are the odds that the last guy to ever hit .400 would not be the guy that had a 56-game hitting streak?

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I checked out on the MLB season long ago, so forgive my complete ignorance.  My kid asked me when the playoffs start, so took my first look at the standings this morning.  Are the Padres a massive disappointment this season?  Didn't they go all in this offseason?

Yes and yes

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

I checked out on the MLB season long ago, so forgive my complete ignorance.  My kid asked me when the playoffs start, so took my first look at the standings this morning.  Are the Padres a massive disappointment this season?  Didn't they go all in this offseason?

injuries to Lamet and Clevinger have definitely hurt them, but yes, they're still a big disappointment all around.