2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

You're gonna get Correa. 

A thank you would be nice.

Lulz at cashman & co investing in the team. Cole was the final “look fans, we do care about winning” move from him. He’s never going that big again. It’s super important to him that he finds castoffs like Urshela, Voit, and DJL or internal prospects instead of big names. That way he can feel smart when they do well. 

tldr; he’s turned into a smug self righteous asshole.

BTW, if you haven't already...

31UagS0VJ8L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is simply the greatest book about baseball ever written.  If you subscribe to the Athletic, you might have already read it -- it's just a collection of the columns he wrote last year during the early part of the pandemic.  Those columns were literally what got me out of bed some days.  Multiple days I remember waking up early, and lying in bed thinking about who his column was going to be about that day.  

So I actually haven't bought it.  Well, if you don't count the copy I bought for my wife.  Or the one I bought for my friend in Seattle.  Or the one I bought for my friend in Massachusetts.  

Five stars.

Joe Bob sez check it out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

BTW, if you haven't already...

31UagS0VJ8L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is simply the greatest book about baseball ever written.  If you subscribe to the Athletic, you might have already read it -- it's just a collection of the columns he wrote last year during the early part of the pandemic.  Those columns were literally what got me out of bed some days.  Multiple days I remember waking up early, and lying in bed thinking about who his column was going to be about that day.  

So I actually haven't bought it.  Well, if you don't count the copy I bought for my wife.  Or the one I bought for my friend in Seattle.  Or the one I bought for my friend in Massachusetts.  

Five stars.

Joe Bob sez check it out.

Planning on getting this for Christmas

Helluva year to end on. 

San Francisco Giants catcher Buster Posey will announce his retirement from baseball on Thursday, according to a report from The Athletic.

Posey, 34, has played his entire 12-year career in San Francisco, helping the team with three World Series titles, in 2010, 2012 and 2014. He is the only player still on the Giants who played on all three title-winning teams.

The Giants said last month that they would exercise Posey's $22 million club option for the 2022 season as long as the veteran catcher wanted to keep playing after a stellar year.

Posey, whose contract includes a $3 million buyout, helped lead the Giants to a franchise-record 107 wins and their first NL West title since 2012 by playing regularly down the stretch as he demonstrated his health and durability.

He batted .304 with 18 homers and 56 RBIs, showing his surgically repaired right hip had finally regained full strength three years post-operation. Posey would be one of six players in the divisional era to hit .300 or better in his final MLB season, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

The Rookie of the Year in 2010 and NL MVP in 2012, Posey is a lifetime .302 hitter, making him one of six catchers in major league history to start 1,000 games at catcher and have a lifetime batting average of .300 or greater (pending inclusion of Negro League statistics).

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, WBT said:

HOF for Posey or did he not play long enough?  His bWAR is at 45.  Every catcher at 48 or higher is in except for Joe Mauer.  With bonus points for three WS wins I'm guessing he gets in?

Yeah I think he will make it.  He’s right on the cusp performance wise but those rings should get him in.

On 11/4/2021 at 9:25 AM, WBT said:

HOF for Posey or did he not play long enough?  His bWAR is at 45.  Every catcher at 48 or higher is in except for Joe Mauer.  With bonus points for three WS wins I'm guessing he gets in?

3 championships when he was the undisputed best player on the team. He should be a 1st ballot guy.

• Like 1

Always liked Posey, hope he makes it into the Hall. Relatively short career but a ROY, MVP and best player on 3 title teams should do it. Jaffe always points out that 2,000 hits has been a de facto requirement, but it seems like that will have to change at some point.

Posey’s 129 career OPS+, .302/.372/.460 slash line, postseason success, defensive value, 7 all-star games should get him in. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there's no question that he's going into the Hall. first or second ballot.

Here’s a list of 1st ballot hall of famers. Take a look and tell me that Posey belong there. 
https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/First_Ballot_Hall_of_Famer

Edited by TonyTexas

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he's going to get in and it isn't going to take very long at all. probably gets in in his second year eligible. 

I think he’ll get in eventually. But your guarantee of 1st or 2nd ballot is optimistic. Maybe 2nd ballot but no way is he a 1st ballot guy. 

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I think he’ll get in eventually. But your guarantee of 1st or 2nd ballot is optimistic. Maybe 2nd ballot but no way is he a 1st ballot guy. 

there's no way mariano rivera should have been the first unanimous inductee ever, but that's what happened. shit is weird nowadays. the steroid era changed the way people vote for HOF members, and what used to be a lot more cut-and-dry is now open to all kinds of interpretation. the game has changed so drastically since the turn of the century that many of the typical bench marks for a HOF career will now only be accomplished very rarely, if at all. the last ever 300 game winner ever is someone who's already playing/going to retire fairly soon. Buster is a three time champion with a bunch of personal hardware and not even a sniff of controversy. in the post steroid era, at his position- what i imagine will happen is that many people will leave him off the ballot the first time just because he's not a prototypical first ballot guy, only to see the majority of them vote him in the very next year. point being, he's a slam dunk of the HOF. the only question is how many years does it take. i think it'll take two. any more than three would really surprise me.

btw, i think the same thing is going to happen in the NFL when it comes to HOF voting for the RB position, because of how much the game has changed. after Adrian Peterson retires, how many guys are going to put up "HOF numbers" for a career? very very few. suddenly guys like Jamaal Charles start looking like they should be in the Hall. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

there's no way mariano rivera should have been the first unanimous inductee ever, but that's what happened. shit is weird nowadays. the steroid era changed the way people vote for HOF members, and what used to be a lot more cut-and-dry is now open to all kinds of interpretation. the game has changed so drastically since the turn of the century that many of the typical bench marks for a HOF career will now only be accomplished very rarely, if at all. the last ever 300 game winner ever is someone who's already playing/going to retire fairly soon. Buster is a three time champion with a bunch of personal hardware and not even a sniff of controversy. in the post steroid era, at his position- what i imagine will happen is that many people will leave him off the ballot the first time just because he's not a prototypical first ballot guy, only to see the majority of them vote him in the very next year. point being, he's a slam dunk of the HOF. the only question is how many years does it take. i think it'll take two. any more than three would really surprise me.

Yeah, voters are generally more analytically savvy now than they used to be in how they evaluate a player’s career. Guys have historically been rewarded for hanging on too long and compiling more hits and HRs without being particularly good players anymore. Posey’s counting stats may be light by traditional standards, but his rates are great and his defense can be quantified better than in the past. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

the last ever 300 game winner ever is someone who's already playing/going to retire fairly soon.

I agree with your overall point but the last 300 game winner was Randy Johnson.  No one playing today is going to get close.  The active leaders are Verlander at 226 and Greinke at 219.

Edited by WBT