What is Georgetown, TX like anymore?

Pato del Muerto

If I was to move back to the austin area, for a job in north Austin (off of 45), is Georgetown still a less packed area?  I don’t really want to land in some vast suburbia like cedar park if I can help it. Has city traffic made it up there yet?  It’s been 6 years since I lived in Wilco (star ranch)

My parents live in Sun City, and my practice brings me to Wilo District Court every so often, so I'm up there a bit.  It's definitely grown, but it seems like it's not a swath of concrete like Round Rock and the city is fairly smart about planning.  Traffic is heavier, but doesn't seem as bad as Cedar Park.  I have a friend who lives in an older area around Southwestern University that has a lot of younger families moving in and renovating homes, and it seems like a cool neighborhood. 

I do avoid Williams Drive west of 35 when I can.  Due in part to the population explosion of Sun City, that area is significantly more congested. 

you don't have to drive through any middle of nowhere on 35 to get to georgetown anymore like you did 20 years ago (i remember the rudy's and nissan dealer in round rock being the north end of town and not much beyond). 

west of 35 is mostly olds, east of 35 is the town which is still kinda small.  the lake, the river, the airport, and a bunch of quarries are on the west side of 35 so not a whole lot of development can go on there.  a costco is supposed to be going in on the north side of town (on the feeder between 130 and 195 or thereabouts) so i'd imagine that there will be a lot of new tract housing around there shortly. 

Edited by elfenix

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ps I’m 42 and seemingly getting older every year, and my boys are almost 12. 

so dead in between retirement type living and early adult partying. 

if you lived within easy walking distance to the square you wouldn't be in tract home hell with 10,000 houses of people trying to leave on the same blvd crawling along 290 every morning. 

Williams Dr and 35 is being converted to a converging diamond intersection, like 1431 & 35 in Round Rock. In case that tells you anything about the projected growth in this area. Hwy 29 has about 10 new neighborhoods between 35 and old 183. Most of the land along Ronald Reagan Blvd, from 29 all the way north to Jarrell where it intersects with 35, is being sold and developed. It won't be long before this place is a shitshow. 

With that being said, I still love the city... for now. 

Both of my older brothers moved to the west of G-town off Williams Drive (Not Sun City), so that should tell you something about that side of town. But at least they have nice 1+ acre lots in good neighborhoods (Woodland Park and The Woods). 
maybe go east of town?

Edited by Armybrat

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Liberty Hill might be a decent option for you depending on where your office is located. Still not crowded and a lot of house for the money. 

Basically 45 and 183

liberty hill might actually be a great place to look, if the commute down isn’t terrible. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Both of my older brothers moved to the west of G-town off Williams Drive (Not Sun City), so that should tell you something about that side of town. But at least they have nice 1+ acre lots in good neighborhoods (Woodland Park and The Woods). 
maybe go east of town?

Your older brothers? Jacob and Esau? 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Overall, I would say the town has gotten much younger in the last few years. The square is very vibrant. A lot of new businesses and restaurants. Now during Covid, it’s packed. People are picnicking around the courthouse, shops and restaurants are full .  Most of the stuff around downtown has younger families. There’s a lot of new subdivisions in the pipeline up Highway 29 and down Ronald Reagan, but I don’t really go out that far. Williams Drive is really congested. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, South Austin said:

If I wanted to stay in the Austin area when I retire but not in the city limits, I’d actually consider moving to Georgetown. But I’m not sure if 15 years from now it won’t have drastically changed. 

If I were to move to Georgetown, I’m not fucking changing my username.

Well, I ceased being an army brat 62 years ago. Sue me.

While no doubt Austin is growing like crazy, the Northwest corridor is on fire right now.  Here is an article from the local Community Impact paper https://communityimpact.com/austin/northwest-austin/development/2021/01/28/monumental-tech-campus-projects-under-construction-on-parmer-lane-corridor-have-potential-to-change-the-face-of-northwest-austin-forever/

I could sort of see Georgetown, but like has been said, the olds... I might look to see what might be accessible to one of the train stations.  Wouldn't be part of your daily commute, but a lot worse ways to enjoy downtown than hopping on the train.

23 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ps I’m 42 and seemingly getting older every year, and my boys are almost 12. 

so dead in between retirement type living and early adult partying. 

Best time to be alive. Young enough to do and enough cash to afford it.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Basically 45 and 183

liberty hill might actually be a great place to look, if the commute down isn’t terrible. 

Land up that way isn’t as expensive as you’d think if you wanted 30-50 acres. I’ve got a friend with elevation changes, ridge top views, 30 acres and it’s really nice. Drive from there to edge of town is easy. 

On 2/5/2021 at 4:19 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

But will it stay that way or is it like south austin said and younger people are moving there for affordability or green space?

I can't speak to the future, but the elderly population has continued to rise in Georgetown. There are far more 55+ communities here than just the well known, Sun City. Granted, for the past few years, the growth in elderly living units has been primarily in Assisted Living and retirement homes as opposed to subdivisions full of single family homes/garden homes.

I can also say that no one is moving to Georgetown for affordability. It's not cheap to live in Georgetown compared to the surrounding wilco cities. With that said, there has been an explosion of growth in the SE quadrant of the city in homes that are much cheaper than the homes being built on the west side oft he highway. The down side on that area is that it is basically indistinguishable from RR and Pflugerville.

Georgetown has gotten much better about restaurants and entertainment, but it is still very lacking.

On 2/5/2021 at 6:00 PM, SurlyBDR said:

Williams Dr and 35 is being converted to a converging diamond intersection, like 1431 & 35 in Round Rock. In case that tells you anything about the projected growth in this area. Hwy 29 has about 10 new neighborhoods between 35 and old 183. Most of the land along Ronald Reagan Blvd, from 29 all the way north to Jarrell where it intersects with 35, is being sold and developed. It won't be long before this place is a shitshow. 

With that being said, I still love the city... for now. 

There is a new overpass going over 35 in Georgetown as we speak. It will connect FM971 across the freeway to Northwest Blvd, about 3/4 mile north of Williams Dr. That project will be done in probably a year or less?? Once complete, as mentioned, the construction on the Williams Dr overpass will commence to create the diverging diamond.

There is a massive upgrade on RM2243 (Leander Rd) joining Leander and Georgetown. Elevated, limited access, flyovers,etc. It will be basically like 183 or 290. I'd guess it's probably less than 6 years away from beginning construction.

I agree with something said earlier that the City does typically plan better than most, but I also agree that Georgetown is probably about to be a shitshow for traffic. Too little, too late in place that is growing so fast.  It has basically tripled in size in 15 years.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:25 PM, Dbeasy said:

Liberty Hill might be a decent option for you depending on where your office is located. Still not crowded and a lot of house for the money. 

I'm in the Ronald Reagan corridor, just south of 2243 and east of RR, we are Georgetown ETJ, but Leander schools and our property values have gone nuts the last couple years. A bunch of my neighbors are cashing out of here and moving to Liberty Hill. I feel like the fuse is already lit on LH, and it's only a matter of time. 

2 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm in the Ronald Reagan corridor, just south of 2243 and east of RR, we are Georgetown ETJ, but Leander schools and our property values have gone nuts the last couple years. A bunch of my neighbors are cashing out of here and moving to Liberty Hill. I feel like the fuse is already lit on LH, and it's only a matter of time. 

Yup. I bought a house in Leander two years ago and it’s gone up in value $100k in 18 months. A neighbor on Facebook was complaining yesterday that they’ve put in five bids on million dollar homes and have been outbid every time by multiple cash bids way over asking price, with no contingencies. In 50+ Years in Texas and Austin I’ve never seen anything like it. I have a client who won’t be able to buy near town so I’m helping him look in small towns. Im giving him a break on realtor fees too because I’ve got spare time this year. I’m not investing in any real estate myself. I’m just watching the market and helping others that need or want to move. 

4 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Not looking forward to Texas property taxes.  I’m in maybe the tax friendliest state in the union right now - 4% sales tax, 0.6% (ish) property taxes, and still no income tax, personal.

I’m thinking liberty hill should be my first option if I get offered and then accept the position.  

my mother found a house to lease last year on almost a half acre in Georgetown for $2k per month. Would that be unusual for these parts of Wilco?  Could that kind of thing be available in any parts of Leander?

20 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not looking forward to Texas property taxes.  I’m in maybe the tax friendliest state in the union right now - 4% sales tax, 0.6% (ish) property taxes, and still no income tax, personal.

I’m thinking liberty hill should be my first option if I get offered and then accept the position.  

my mother found a house to lease last year on almost a half acre in Georgetown for $2k per month. Would that be unusual for these parts of Wilco?  Could that kind of thing be available in any parts of Leander?

Depending on the area you can find leases between $1,800-2,500 per month with a decent sized yard. If you want to pm me and tell me what you are looking for, I can pull some listings to help you get a sense for it. 

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not a part you'd want to live in. There's still a lot of "Leanderthals" in the less populated parts of the area. Also, with developers snatching up anything they can, undeveloped land prices are crazy, too. There's a small acreage neighborhood just north of me, and homes built in the 80s and 90s on 1-2 acre lots are going for $600K plus. I'm talking homes that haven't been updated since they were built. 2,000-2,500 sqft 3-2 ranchers with maybe a small horse barn or something out back. 

• 10 months later...

My secretary moved to out Georgetown and works remotely now.  Are there any nice restaurants in the surrounding vicinity (thinking higher end steakhouse or the like) which would make for a nice gift card or is it all basically Chili's and Appleby's?  

3 minutes ago, field said:

My secretary moved to out Georgetown and works remotely now.  Are there any nice restaurants in the surrounding vicinity (thinking higher end steakhouse or the like) which would make for a nice gift card or is it all basically Chili's and Appleby's?  

Wildfire is the only one that I’ve been to that might be considered high end, but it’s not really when comparing to an actual high end steakhouse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, field said:

Golden Rule and Ichiro are solid. Good drinks and food.

Edited by Daichee Bell

I’m working on entitlements for something like 5,000 lots in Georgetown right now, so RIP on traffic.  It’s as good or better than most of the suburbs if you want to be north.  I’d take it over Leander, Hutto, Cedar Park and Round Rock.  You might rather be out in Liberty Hill but it’s pretty covered up in Aggies out there. 

Don't head to Georgetown much as I'm just not a fan of Dallas.

But... can't this job allow you to work remotely like so many jobs or is that not possible?  I have several customers who are very pro "work from home as long as you want or from here on out" or providing flexible part-office options.  I also have clients who claim "Work happens at work" and are having massive attrition problems.  

20 hours ago, field said:

Garden at Ellera has a new joint out there, called Garden at the Summit.  HAven't been to it, but like the one in Bee CAves.