Britt Reid

Tailgate

Just now, Helobious said:

It seems likely that Reid got drunk at the Chiefs facility & crashed on his way home. 

More than likely as stated in the story.  Going out to a bar would have been against NFL Covid restrictions, so he was almost certainly drinking at the Chiefs facility. They hired a felon with addiction problems because his daddy is coach and now he might have killed a 5 year old.  I'd probably pick up the tab for the PR alone but KC doesn't really give a shit about appearances.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 2

More than likely as stated in the story.  Going out to a bar would have been against NFL Covid restrictions, so he was almost certainly drinking at the Chiefs facility. They hired a felon with addiction problems because his daddy is coach and now he might have killed a 5 year old.  I'd probably pick up the tab for the PR alone but KC doesn't really give a shit about appearances.

If she’s fighting a brain injury, I hope to god she’s not a vegetable but those 2 words are never good next to each other

22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

a felon with addiction problems probably gives 2 shits about covid protocols. If he was drinking at the facility it is because of pesky work obligations and he is allowed to/ able to get away with it    

Edited by Dennis Taylor

6 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Yeah Reid and Hunt families are both getting sued over this tragedy.  That's why Andy couldn't comment on it last night.

Yeah, some very highly paid and highly competent lawyers, days before the Super Bowl put the hammer down on any comment by anybody in ownership, coaching, or the front office.  You can't keep the players from talking but they're not involved in this in any way.  Though I'm sure the linebackers will be questioned exhaustively about their opinion of the character of Coach Britt and in completely unrelated turns of events, contracts for some may end up one way or the other.  But by sheer coincidence.  

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

a felon with addiction problems probably gives 2 shits about covid protocols 

true but the chiefs know exactly when he left the facility and i'm guessing if he's had time to stop for a few drinks before the wreck we'd know it by now.

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Anecdotal evidence from another jurisdiction, but where I come from, a repeat DUI offender who hospitalizes multiple victims with critical injuries will almost certainly be facing at least a couple of years in prison.

So, from one of the earlier posts, his car hit the door panel of the first car and rear ended the second car. Sounds like he didn't have time to brake and went around the first car but couldn't make it around the second. Does it matter if the car ran out of gas on the freeway and the owner didn't call police to report it? Does it matter if the children were wearing seatbelts? Or is the only relevant info that the driver was impaired.

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

So, from one of the earlier posts, his car hit the door panel of the first car and rear ended the second car. Sounds like he didn't have time to brake and went around the first car but couldn't make it around the second. Does it matter if the car ran out of gas on the freeway and the owner didn't call police to report it? Does it matter if the children were wearing seatbelts? Or is the only relevant info that the driver was impaired.

It matters in a court of law, where lawyers will argue sentencing, but it doesn't matter for Britt's initial charges.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

true but the chiefs know exactly when he left the facility and i'm guessing if he's had time to stop for a few drinks before the wreck we'd know it by now.

Pure speculation on my part, but I'm betting Andy told Britt to not be caught violating covid protocols (especially leading up to the Superbowl). Hence he was drinking at the stadium. 

9 minutes ago, Bevo said:

i am going to need an MS Paint diagram before making any judgements

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Its an interesting point. Technically, none of that impacts the ability of DAs to prove the case. That said, in negotiating a resolution, it can certainly play a role. A guy driving the wrong way on the freeway with a .20 who maims someone is in a lot more trouble than the guy with a .09 who maims a pedestrian who was illegally crossing in the dark.

Andy Reid confirmed Monday morning that Britt underwent surgery after the incident and his thoughts remain with the impacted family.

“I’ve had a chance to talk to [Britt],” said Reid. “My heart goes out to the young lady. I’m also a dad, so I get that so I have concerns obviously on both sides. Britt did have surgery — he’s doing better now. That little girl, my heart goes out to her.”

This from the Kansas City Star (as it pertains to the search warrant application  to draw four vials of blood from Britt Reid):

The officer, according to the search warrant application, observed “four clues of impairment,” when he conducted another field sobriety test at the hospital.

A computer check showed Reid has a valid Kansas operator’s license and multiple prior DUI contacts, according the warrant application.

The warrant was returned on Friday and showed four vials of blood was collected from Britt Reid. No other details were listed.

That's going to be 4 clues out of 6 for the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test.

Lack of smooth pursuit and distinct and sustained nystagmus at maximum horizonal deviation, in each eye, is 4 clues

The last 2 is onset of nystagmus prior to 45 degrees, where 45 degrees is (allegedly) correlated with a BAC of 0.08, and hence, prior to 45 degrees equals a BAC over 0.08.

Controlled substances may or may not cause nystagmus. It depends on the substance.

• Hook 'Em 2

The toxicology results will be the first thing we will hear about. It will take a while to do an accident reconstruction, interview relevant witnesses and get any relevant camera footage. Right now the best thing the Chiefs *Hunts/Reid* can do is corporate fully with the investigation. As for lawsuits, this family is going to be overwhelmed by medical bills and God knows what else resulting from the incident. I can appreciate why the Chiefs haven't made many statements up to this point. Andy Reid has made two statements expressing concern for the well being of the little girl. One last night and again this morning. Reading more of the articles, they were saying not only brain swelling but bleeding within and around the brain. Regardless, if Britt was over the legal limit, the fault will lie primarily with him. As it should. Such a sad situation for the girl and her family. Hoping for her to wake up. 

All that truly matters about this situation is that this young girl survives and God-willing with no last brain injuries. I realize right now that that does not appear to be the case if she survives, but again all that matters is her surviving and hopefully being okay. The situation for Reid and the Chiefs is a topic for another day. Hope she pulls through.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 3

Was Britt Reid arrested while still a member of the K.C. Super Bowl coaching staff?  Was it the accusation of the crime that forced him to be removed from the staff? 

Edited by Lobo

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Was Britt Reid arrested while still a member of the K.C. Super Bowl coaching staff?  Was it the accusation of the crime that forced him to be removed from the staff? 

He's still on staff and currently a member of the coaching staff.  The situation is probably pretty fluid as information becomes available and I doubt very much he will continue in his current capacity.

https://www.chiefs.com/team/coaches-roster/

I don't think it's a "wild Mormon" kid thing so much as a coach's kid deal. So many of them end up addicts and suicides. Think about it -- by definition your dad is not gonna be around very much, and when he is, he is going to have high expectations and when you fall short he might be the kind of dad to talk it out or whatever. And when the coaches are at a high level you are under a spotlight, too. And it's not like you are likely going to be gifted with athleticism, or your dad would have been a star player and not a coach. I've known a few sons of NFL, NBA, and college coaches and they've all been weird or fucked up, every last one of them. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

26 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I don't think it's a "wild Mormon" kid thing so much as a coach's kid deal. So many of them end up addicts and suicides. Think about it -- by definition your dad is not gonna be around very much, and when he is, he is going to have high expectations and when you fall short he might be the kind of dad to talk it out or whatever. And when the coaches are at a high level you are under a spotlight, too. And it's not like you are likely going to be gifted with athleticism, or your dad would have been a star player and not a coach. I've known a few sons of NFL, NBA, and college coaches and they've all been weird or fucked up, every last one of them. 

Saw an interview with John Madden years ago. They asked him why he got out of coaching so young. He told a story about breakfast one morning with the family, and it was a game week, so he was preoccupied. His wife told him that he'd promised to get their oldest son a car when he turned sixteen. He said he snapped at her, asking her why she was bugging him about that when it was game week and there was plenty of time. She told him the boy was turning sixteen the next week. He said he knew something wasn't right when he didn't know within two years how old his son was. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2021 at 2:22 PM, Nicole44 said:

IThe story while it’s not being heavily covered bc of SB week (not a happy story)  and results aren’t back yet is gaining more and more traction.

Personally I wish they wouldn't discuss it because the media are all a bunch of insincere assholes about it when they do.  Can't count how many times I heard

"this is a just a tragic story."

"But we've got a game to play!" on Sunday.

Anyone who read/said that along with the words thoughts and prayers should go fuck themselves.  They don't give a flying fuck what happens to this girl, nor do most of us, that's a cold hard fact.  It only truly effects both families.  Hell, you know gotdamn well more than one KC Chef fan said out loud "If that stupid girl hadn't gotten hurt, we'd have won that game!".  They exist, I know them personally unfortunately.

I can't imagine as a parent what it would be like to have any of my boys involved on either side of this accident.  I won't be a fucking hypocrite by saying thoughts and prayers either.  I do hope that the families some how some way find a way through all of this.

• Hook 'Em 2

Any Eagles fan will tell you that the younger Reid will be coaching on the staff next year until he's actually convicted and goes to jail.  The Reid family has coddled, protected, and rallied around their kids at every single fuck up (and there's been a lot of them, most of them unreported) since Andy came to Philly.  They've long been threats to do something exactly like what happened and it's horrible its become a reality but not surprising.

When you can call plays like Andy can you can insulate your family more than most.

Edited by Old Freak Nasty

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

THAT IS AWESOME! This is such great news to read about. I hope that she makes a full recovery and I am doubly glad to read in that message about the outpouring of support the family has received. People have it in them to be kind when they see a hurt child and a family in pain. Thank God she is awake now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Porto, who is representing Ariel Young’s family, said the young girl has awoken from her coma, but is expected to grapple with lasting injuries from the crash. 

“She likely has permanent brain damage that she will endure for the rest of her life,” Porto told Good Morning America on Tuesday. “She’s not walking — it’s a sad, sad, sad story.”

Porto said Ariel is still unable to speak and is still hospitalized in Kansas City from the crash.

“This wasn’t a fender bender,” Porto said. “This was a serious life-altering event.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2021/03/02/ariel-young-who-was-injured-in-britt-reid-crash-likely-has-permanent-brain-damage-attorney/amp/

I’m glad the girl’s family has an attorney who is not going to let this slide. No idea how the investigation is going but it’s good there is some media pressure. That story was on every site I can think of this morning. Good. If he was over the legal limit he needs jail and Andy needs to Britt’s ass go there. 

Best article I have seen yet (as far as more information about the crash).

In exclusive photos obtained by ABC News, Reid’s truck was totaled and the two cars that police say he ran into -- including Ariel’s backseat, in which she was sitting in the second row of her vehicle – was flattened and unrecognizable.

“When you look at those pictures, you wonder how anybody made it out of that car alive,” Porto said.

https://www.kake.com/story/43433224/lawyer-for-family-of-girl-injured-in-presuper-bowl-in-crash-in-kansas-city-speaks-out

I posted this for those who think it was just a clip of the car and maybe thought the kids weren’t in car seats or seatbelts in or Britt just had a mild fender bender. Several people were injured including Britt. Look at that picture. 

50C455DA-34C0-4413-950D-F66F0EDCD79D.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Still no arrest? Damn.

According to the lawyer for the girl’s family and the police they are still awaiting the toxicology results. I have no idea how much the pandemic has slowed down those type of results but understand in a typical investigation like this it can take 6-8 weeks. So probably the results will be back at the end of this month or mid-April? They took/drew three vials of blood from him on 2/04/20 the date of the crash.

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

According to the lawyer for the girl’s family and the police they are still awaiting the toxicology results. I have no idea how much the pandemic has slowed down those type of results but understand in a typical investigation like this it can take 6-8 weeks. So probably the results will be back at the end of this month or mid-April? They took/drew three vials of blood from him on 2/04/20 the date of the crash.

I have no doubt that if the races were reversed Reid would be on bond and those results would be made a priority. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I have no doubt that if the races were reversed Reid would be on bond and those results would be made a priority. 

I don’t disagree with you about the priority issue but without the results you can’t charge a person. I am all for people no matter their race nor status being held accountable for their actions. But I think moving forward...(like starting now in history) wait for the investigation to conclude and the appropriate charges filed. Britt was hospitalized after the crash (not sure if he has been released?) This investigation also impacts the Chiefs (as it appears Britt was drinking at the stadium though not confirmed) financially. I am glad Ariel’s family has procured an attorney and that he is keeping media pressure on this issue. 

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

drug tests take 3-5 days right?

WTF are they waiting on?  fermentation of the blood itself?

My understanding is 6-8 weeks. I don’t understand why it would take that long. Maybe testing for a variety of substances but you would think they would know his alcohol count by now? From the outset of the crash all the articles I read said the same thing. 6-8 weeks. The crash was right before the SB that Thursday so the results wouldn’t have come in before the game. 

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

I don’t disagree with you about the priority issue but without the results you can’t charge a person. I am all for people no matter their race nor status being held accountable for their actions. But I think moving forward...(like starting now in history) wait for the investigation to conclude and the appropriate charges filed. Britt was hospitalized after the crash (not sure if he has been released?) This investigation also impacts the Chiefs (as it appears Britt was drinking at the stadium though not confirmed) financially. I am glad Ariel’s family has procured an attorney and that he is keeping media pressure on this issue. 

Too much Law and Order may have ruined me. But I thought you could be arrested for suspicion of DWI/DUI. And I believe he actually admitted to drinking. Plus cops deal with this stuff all the time now and they don't wait weeks before making an arrest. But I understand what you are saying. Maybe, because of the higher profile, they are making sure everything is in order first.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would guess that people arrested immediately for suspicion of DUI/DWI consented to a field sobriety test and/or breathalyzer and failed one or both.  I think if you don't consent to that they are stuck with a blood draw as the only way to prove guilt.  Admitting to drinking before driving is not necessarily admitting to breaking any laws.  I'm not condoning drinking and driving nor suggesting Reid isn't guilty, but so far nothing he has said is prosecutable on its own I would think.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

Too much Law and Order may have ruined me. But I thought you could be arrested for suspicion of DWI/DUI. And I believe he actually admitted to drinking. Plus cops deal with this stuff all the time now and they don't wait weeks before making an arrest. But I understand what you are saying. Maybe, because of the higher profile, they are making sure everything is in order first.

It’s cool. I watch way too many “murder” shows and the “first 48.”  I think he would have been possibly arrested on the scene (had he been able to do the regular field sobriety tests) but his injuries were such he was hospitalized. After seeing the pics of his truck and the other vehicles it’s is clear it was a violent straight on impact. But I think given whatever his injuries were they couldn’t do the whole field sobriety test. He was conscious and admitted to drinking two/three drinks prior and said prescription for alderol. 

Also, considering how close it was to the facility/SB no doubt that played a role. But I would think his injuries plus the obvious (Chiefs assistant coach right before super bowl) kept them from doing so. The later probably played a much bigger deal. The cops on the scene to their credit did try to ask all the right questions of Britt and made sure three vials of blood were drawn and also conducted a secondary test while he was at the hospital which cops said he failed I think. 

PS the two cars he hit were on the side near the on ramp. So he’s driving fast enough to enter the freeway and looking back to see cars as he is entering the freeway and hits them dead on to his right or  he’s looking back and veering all the way over. So unless the car that ran out of a gas was in the middle of the freeway or a lane I find it hard to see how he isn’t charged. They said it takes weeks to do a reconstruction do the accident and involved a ton of work.

he didn’t clip the first car. He hit it square dead on from the pictures of his truck and the other cars. This makes me think the two cars had to be completely on the shoulder/ramp. But I could be wrong. 

Edited by Nicole44

18 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I would guess that people arrested immediately for suspicion of DUI/DWI consented to a field sobriety test and/or breathalyzer and failed one or both.  I think if you don't consent to that they are stuck with a blood draw as the only way to prove guilt.  Admitting to drinking before driving is not necessarily admitting to breaking any laws.  I'm not condoning drinking and driving nor suggesting Reid isn't guilty, but so far nothing he has said is prosecutable on its own I would think.  

Didn't the cop say he could tell he had been drinking? And he admitted to drinking soon before. Said he has 2-3 drinks (which is usually code for 7 or 8). He admitted all this, cop saw signs and he just caused a serious traffic incident. Won't even use the word 'accident' because it wasn't. It was Reid being negligent. Every state handles it differently. I know here in Texas, they will make you do the test and if you refuse the test, you are getting arrested and it all gets handled later. Hell even if you pass their test (which is designed to collect evidence and not really pass), they can still arrest you if they think you were impaired enough to drive. To not even be arrested and still nothing seems absurd to me.

But I have no doubt whatever comes of this, Andy Reid will coddle and enable him. He won't learn anything for it. Even if he doesn't work for KC, Andy will make sure he is taken care of. I am curious to see if KC's legal team tries to lean on the victim's family and attorney to try and get them to settle and sweep this under the rug. Most people forgot about it once the Super Bowl ended. It just came back to the news cycle when the girl's condition was updated. 

13 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I am curious to see if KC's legal team tries to lean on the victim's family and attorney to try and get them to settle and sweep this under the rug.

you are about fifty years behind the times

it's much more likely the Chiefs do everything they can to co-opt her sympathetic public profile by embracing her

On 2/9/2021 at 8:22 PM, Richard Kimball said:

Saw an interview with John Madden years ago. They asked him why he got out of coaching so young. He told a story about breakfast one morning with the family, and it was a game week, so he was preoccupied. His wife told him that he'd promised to get their oldest son a car when he turned sixteen. He said he snapped at her, asking her why she was bugging him about that when it was game week and there was plenty of time. She told him the boy was turning sixteen the next week. He said he knew something wasn't right when he didn't know within two years how old his son was. 

I saw an interview with Joe Gibbs, after he retired the first time. He said he knew it was time when he got home late and went in to kiss his son goodnight and his son had a beard. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• 1 month later...