Britt Reid

Tailgate

Chiefs assistant admits in warrant to drinking before I-435 crash that hurt 2 children, 1 severely.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Chiefs assistant linebackers coach Britt Reid was involved in a multi-vehicle crash that injured two young children less than two days before the team was scheduled to depart for Super Bowl LV in Tampa, Florida.

Reid, 35, who is Chiefs head coach Andy Reid’s son, has worked on the team’s coaching staff since his father arrived before the 2013 season.

The Chiefs confirmed Friday in a statement to 41 Action News that Reid was involved in a crash Thursday night.

https://www.kshb.com/sports/road-to-repeat/chiefs-assistant-coach-hurt-in-i-435-crash-that-injured-2-children-1-severely

Edited by Tailgate

4 minutes ago, Kevin O’Shea said:

Britt was once arrested for putting a gun to a drivers head while on drugs. 

Lots of different thoughts on this. First, hope the kid comes out all right. 

You know all the NFL money guys are sitting around a table right now going, "Well, shit." 

Steer the teams through this insane season, get Super Bowl set up, great story lines on Brady-Mahomes, terrific publicity from giving away Super Bowl tickets to health care workers, and here comes BRITT REID. 

Seriously, could he have done anything to cause more damage a couple of days before the game? 

• Hook 'Em 1

Unacceptable.  There are zero excuses for this happening.

Hope he gets help, but his actions need to be fully prosecuted by the state and his employment should be terminated by the NFL.

24 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Why no mugshot?

Maybe rhetorical, but agree, why no arrest?

Dude had multiple prior DUI's, "moderate odor of alcohol" on his breath, admitted to having "2 or 3 drinks" (which means 8-10 maybe?)  At least they did the blood draw at the hospital, with a warrant.

Hoping the kids come through this OK... but the incredibly terrible decision to drink and drive still must be reconciled, regardless.  The kids shouldn't have to die or be permanently disabled for this shithead to be locked up for a longass time.

What's preventing him from doing it again today? tomorrow? etc?

Edited by slorch

14 hours ago, Richard Kimball said:

Damn. Reid had another son die of a heroin overdose. That family has some substance abuse problems. 

Mormon. Sex and addiction are actually a huge problem for some which the church tries very hard to hide. A church being involved in every aspect of one’s life seems to push a certain segment of people toward addictive behavior.

some of the wildest people I’ve ever known and have been brought up Mormon

11 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Mormon. Sex and addiction are actually a huge problem for some which the church tries very hard to hide. A church being involved in every aspect of one’s life seems to push a certain segment of people toward addictive behavior.

some of the wildest people I’ve ever known and have been brought up Mormon

what about road rage?  Roll eyes  at the notion that this is uniquely a problem of faith.  

Before coming to Kansas City, Britt Reid was arrested Jan. 30, 2007, for pointing a gun at another driver during a reported road-rage incident, according to ESPN.

According to Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, court records, he was sentenced to eight to 23 months in jail and five years of probation on Nov. 1, 2007, after pleading guilty to charges of carrying an unlicensed firearm, simple assault, possession of a controlled substance and possession of an instrument of crime in connection with incident.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

what about road rage?  Roll eyes  at the notion that this is uniquely a problem of faith.  

Before coming to Kansas City, Britt Reid was arrested Jan. 30, 2007, for pointing a gun at another driver during a reported road-rage incident, according to ESPN.

According to Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, court records, he was sentenced to eight to 23 months in jail and five years of probation on Nov. 1, 2007, after pleading guilty to charges of carrying an unlicensed firearm, simple assault, possession of a controlled substance and possession of an instrument of crime in connection with incident.

Don’t know why exactly, but social deviance is a real problem concerning some forms of faith. Theres some pretty great research each being done by Pew if you wanna check it out. 

*britt also served time for running a “drug emporium” out of Andy’s house when he was younger.

Edited by Doc Reeves

40 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Are there no nepotism rules in the NFL? I have a hard time believing someone not related to the head coach would be able to get a job with his criminal record.

Of course there are nepotism rules in the NFL. Would you expect him to get the job without being related to the head coach?

It’s a joke when NFL coaches and GMs hire their kids to try to extend their gravy train. What a coincidence when you have an unlimited budget to hire the best in the world and that person ends up being your son! Who’d have thought that?! But on topic of this thread, fuck this guy for being a piece of crap and endangering a family’s lives. Prayers to the kid in the hospital. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

It’s a joke when NFL coaches and GMs hire their kids to try to extend their gravy train. What a coincidence when you have an unlimited budget to hire the best in the world and that person ends up being your son! Who’d have thought that?! But on topic of this thread, fuck this guy for being a piece of crap and endangering a family’s lives. Prayers to the kid in the hospital. 

The nfl coaching world is definitely about who you know. Take someone like Kyle Shanahan, who definitely had help getting started based on who is Dad is, but he ran with it and stood on his own soon. He did coach under his dad eventually but not initially. I don’t think Britt Reid ever had a job where his Dad wasn’t the one hiring him. Even if you’re successful, people won’t believe it.

1 minute ago, Tailgate said:

Feel confident that the “investigation” won’t resume until Monday. 

The younger Reid is not with the team.  He SHOULD be under arrest, IMHO.  Definite threat to society... repeatedly proven.

58 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

GoFundMe for the little girl who was critically injured. She still hasn’t woken up since the crash.

Before you share a GoFraudMe link, it's best to confirm that it is actually legit. Scammers post these in the hundreds every time a disaster or human interest story pop up. I'm not saying that this is or isn't, but due to a lack of content on it, I have my doubts. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Looks like plenty of blame to go around. The cars that got hit were parked/stopped on an entrance ramp, the first one having run out of gas, according to the linked story. That driver called a family member for help. The family member arrived, parked in front of, instead of behind, the first one. The helpful family member also brought the two children. Whether either of these two cars had hazard lights on is not stated.  Whether the helpful one brought gasoline or not is also not stated. The description of the accident is somewhat strange, since it says that Reid's Ram hit the first car in the left front and the second one in the right rear.

The entire article seems heavily slanted toward making Reid the only bad guy here, but the idiot who ran out of gas on the entrance ramp must bear some  of the blame, and the helpful family member who brought the two kiddies should, as well.

Bad deal, all the way around, but it doesn't seem, so far, that Britt Reid is the only one at fault. Yes, it appears that he's a massive fuckup, but he didn't cause the first idiot to run out of gas, and he didn't cause the second one to park in the wrong place or to bring kiddies. Trial lawyer friend said that, while he isn't familiar with Missouri or Kansas (whichever it was in), he thinks that his home state of CA will fine the shit out of you for running out of gas on a freeway. Let's see what the blood tests indicate.

• Hook 'Em 6

49 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Looks like plenty of blame to go around. The cars that got hit were parked/stopped on an entrance ramp, the first one having run out of gas, according to the linked story. That driver called a family member for help. The family member arrived, parked in front of, instead of behind, the first one. The helpful family member also brought the two children. Whether either of these two cars had hazard lights on is not stated.  Whether the helpful one brought gasoline or not is also not stated. The description of the accident is somewhat strange, since it says that Reid's Ram hit the first car in the left front and the second one in the right rear.

The entire article seems heavily slanted toward making Reid the only bad guy here, but the idiot who ran out of gas on the entrance ramp must bear some  of the blame, and the helpful family member who brought the two kiddies should, as well.

Bad deal, all the way around, but it doesn't seem, so far, that Britt Reid is the only one at fault. Yes, it appears that he's a massive fuckup, but he didn't cause the first idiot to run out of gas, and he didn't cause the second one to park in the wrong place or to bring kiddies. Trial lawyer friend said that, while he isn't familiar with Missouri or Kansas (whichever it was in), he thinks that his home state of CA will fine the shit out of you for running out of gas on a freeway. Let's see what the blood tests indicate.

Hazards were on according to most articles I read. The cousin/with kiddos who arrived to help put his on as the other car’s battery was dying. The accident occurred close to the stadium around 9:00 pm’ish. They have better cameras and security at those stadiums than most places. If he was throwing back drinks at the stadium surely there is some video.

Britt is also in the hospital as he complained of stomach pain after the crash. LE noted he had bloodshot eyes and moderate smell of alcohol on his breath and were able to get a SW for his blood due to this.

He also said he was taking prescription Adderall. if you know anything about mixing alcohol and Adderall it can have side effects/affect motor skills. He admitted to having two/three drinks which LE admits is usually code for more than that. But the toxicology results are not expected to be in until next week. 

In short, at 35 with a history of such shit, he knows better than to get in his truck and drink and drive. How drunk he was will be the issue. But even though the other two cars were on the ramp I don’t think he hits them unless he’s impaired. The first car had to have been there for quite a bit of time before the cousin arrived to help. 

Very sad about the girl. I am sorry for Andy Reid. Two sons. One dead from addiction and one with addiction. Sometimes you have to allow them to fall and fall hard. Jail may be the only way to save him. If the sweet child dies and he was over the legal limit, Andy can’t save him from the consequences. I hope the girl is able to come out of the coma without life altering consequences. But it’s scary that’s she’s been unconscious since the accident. Hopefully, they have her brain swelling under control. 

Britt Reid needs to go to jail. I’d bet my ass that he was over the legal limit. And mixing Adderall with Alcohol can cause even further impairment of his motor skills which he should already know. It’s like they say that addiction either leads to jail or death. 

TLDR: Britt will probably be going to jail once the toxicology tests come back. Hope the girl makes it. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Being from KC I can say there is a reasonably rich history of not just giving chiefs staff/players a free pass, initially. I say initially because arrests are made and then basically media blackout on results of bargains/trials. That being said, those arrests weren’t the son of a super bowl winning coach. Hope the kid is ok. Hope Reid’s family can get the help they’ll need. Hope Britt faces the consequences we all would face if we were in the same position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

At least Chiefs fans can assuage their guilt and make it a positive story for them by meeting and beating the Gofund me goal. And then they can go on Twitter and praise Britt and talk about second chances. They are getting Patrick Mahomes good at this type of thing.

If they don't fire him, you have a point.  If that toxicology report is positive and they keep Reid on, it's bullshit.  Double standard from hell.

and it sounds more like it would be the 8th or 9th chance.   Dude should not be allowed to drive.  Ever.

Edited by slorch

I think the toxicology will likely show impairment over the legal limit. Jmo. Not a soothsayer on this but it’s more likely than not.
And as mentioned this isn’t his first DUI rodeo which suggests to me he has probably done the drink/drive thing quite a bit. If the tests show he was over the legal limit it’s over and he will go to jail. It should be assault with a deadly weapon in my opinion unless that sweet little 5 year old girl dies. Then it’s vehicular manslaughter or something similar.

Either way he should no longer be working for the Chiefs. This is so public that I don’t think they have any choice. I can only hope and pray the little girl comes out of this with no life altering damage or disability. The story while it’s not being heavily covered bc of SB week (not a happy story)  and results aren’t back yet is gaining more and more traction.
Britt needs to go to jail. It’s a sad situation all around. But it was 100% preventable. People have accidents all the time sober and cars parked on the side of interstate get hit a lot even in broad daylight. 
But when you are under the influence it does not matter if the cars were parked in a poor manner or if their hazards were off—bc one party was likely legally intoxicated and as such the fault lies with that person. As I mentioned, death and jail are the outcomes of addiction when a person continues to use and try to manage their addiction that way. Loss of a job/a partner/ home/ family/ money...nothing good comes from it. Hope the girl makes it. So sad. It pisses me off because with options out there now for rides and it’s entirely preventable. 100%.

If you are gonna drink call a friend/use UBer or stay the fuck at home and stock up so you don’t have to run out and go on a liquor run too late. Prepare in advance. Stock up and stay the fuck at home. God only knows how many drinks Britt truly had if it was combined with Adderall. Damn. Doubt he even knows because Adderall can mask it pretty well up to a point which is why alcohol poisoning is common when mixed with it. 

By now, either the Reid family, who have made tens of millions coaching in the NFL, or the Hunt family, billionaires who own the Chiefs, should have stepped up and said they would cover all costs. As of midday Monday, the family said they haven’t heard from either party.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 2

Why is it the Chiefs’ or Hunt Family’s responsibility?  

Yes, it could be a very generous move of good will. I dislike the public  boo-hooing over it though.  Wetzel cares  so much, he’s probably already giving money to the family, right?  Nah, let’s pontificate to others about what THEY should do.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why is it the Chiefs’ or Hunt Family’s responsibility?  

Yes, it could be a very generous move of good will. I dislike the public  boo-hooing over it though.  Wetzel cares  so much, he’s probably already giving money to the family, right?  Nah, let’s pontificate to others about what THEY should do.

It seems likely that Reid got drunk at the Chiefs facility & crashed on his way home.